Server time: 2017-08-20, 00:26

Sign in to follow this  
reesesaddict

The Art Of Survival: The Story of Wyatt Fletcher

reesesaddict    28

Part 1: Childhood

“Wyatt, you know we can’t fucking do that.” His father was leaning against a rock with a bandage covering his forehead which was already beginning to soak up with blood. He was facing Wyatt who was standing up and leaning against a tree. “They have my Glock; they have your 1911-” Wyatt stopped his father. “Dad, I still have my rifle and some bullets, I might be able to pull something off!” His father stopped for a moment but shook his head violently. “Wyatt, no. Did you see how many they have? This country is huge! We can find more resources, but it takes one bullet Wyatt, ONE FUCKING BULLET… and it’s all over….” His father looked down at the dirt. Wyatt tapped his father on his shoulder, bringing his father’s attention to Wyatt. “Dad, we’ve come so far, and we’ve changed so much. We aren’t who we used to be; we’re stronger. You know that we need to do this, that we don’t have a choice. You’re afraid to face that fact. We take risks every day, but this is something we need to do. We can’t take them on full force; we’ll lose a fight like that. We need to find a time when one or two of them are alone, you can distract them, and I’ll take a shot.”  His father stared at his son for a few seconds, then looked down at the ground. “Dad, I don’t see any other way. We can’t defend ourselves if we get attacked again, and they took a majority of our food. We know where they live, and you know what we need to do.” Wyatt’s father looked up at his son with eyes of disbelief. “Wyatt, do you hear yourself? You don’t sound like my boy. You seem no better than the people out there, robbing and murdering others. Who are you?” Wyatt looked his father straight in the eyes, “I’m different, I can feel it. You’re not my father anymore… this world is my father. It has rebuilt me, emotionally and physically, and designed me to survive; not to do what is right, not to do what is wanted, but to do what is needed… and I'm going to follow the world's lead. This isn't living anymore Dad, we aren't living anymore, this is simply survival."

Born on a cold and snowy day in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Wyatt was welcomed to a loving family. Growing up, Wyatt excelled in school and sports but never had many friends. His father worked at a nearby lumber mill and hunted on the side while his mother was a stay-at-home mom.  At the age of four, his parents decided to have another child but were surprised with a gift of twins, a boy and girl. Hunting was always an interest of Wyatt’s, and he waited for the day when his father would take him out hunting. At the age of 8, Wyatt’s father got Wyatt a gun, a small .22 rifle. He learned to shoot, and how he learned so fast is anybody’s guess. He would shoot animals such as squirrels for practice. His father would take him along to learn techniques that Wyatt would one day use.

Holding his rifle steady, he zoomed in. It was him. Taking a few breaths in and out, Wyatt watched for his father’s signal. His father entered the vision of his scope and the man whipped around, surprised and with pistol drawn. It was the Glock, still had some blood on the front. His father raised his hands and conversation began. It felt like hours when in reality, only seconds had passed. “Damnit Dad, give me the signal…” Wyatt watched intently and saw his father’s right hand subtlely close to make a fist. Wyatt placed the crosshairs over the man’s head, took a deep breath, and gently pulled back the trigger.

The gunshot rang out with a crack, and he watched the deer slump over, dead in its tracks. His father patted him on the back, “Great shot Wyatt, little high, but you still got it. Let’s check it out!” Wyatt sprinted past his dad, running up to the deer. Sure enough, couple inches high of the stomach. Eventually, his father caught up and inspected the deer. “Told you Wyatt, that Winchester is a lot more powerful than your .22. Does your shoulder hurt?” Wyatt’s adrenalin began fading, and he noticed the ache in his shoulder. “Yeah, it kinda hurts….” His father started to lift the deer but quickly gave up and immediately yelped in pain. “Damnit... Wyatt why don’t you go get the wheelbarrow, we can bring the deer home in that….” Wyatt and his father walked back home slowly, moving the heavy wheelbarrow with the deer carcass along with them.

Wyatt came home from school, excited as always. Wyatt was 14 years old. Throwing open the wood door, Wyatt ran inside, forgetting to catch the door before the springs pull it back and-SLAM. “Damnit Wyatt, how many times do I have to tell you, grab the door before it slams!” Wyatt set his backpack down by the door, careful to not make much noise. He walked into the living room. His father was sitting at their dining table on his phone. Wyatt froze. His dad was… crying. Never before had he seen his dad cry, and he had always gotten the talks saying “real men don’t cry,” so seeing this was shocking. His father was speaking with almost a quiver, struggling to express himself adequately. “Umm… y-yes… we would like to see him…” He paused for a moment, and then he managed to ask, “Do you know… how long h-he has?” His father slumped in the chair, tearing up even more, “We c-can stay with him, I want to stay with him.” Wyatt realized he was still awkwardly standing in front of his father, still frozen in disbelief. He walked into the kitchen and sat down in one of the chairs, waiting for his father.

It felt like another hour had passed, waiting to find out what had happened. To pass the time, Wyatt counted the rings in the wooden ceiling. He had reached 73 rings before he heard footsteps entering the kitchen. Looking towards the entrance, Wyatt saw his father, tears fresh in his eyes. He pulled up the other chair in the kitchen and sat facing Wyatt. No words were spoken for probably 20 seconds, before his father said, “Wyatt, your grandfather… my dad... has cancer. It… can’t be cured. The doctor says he has probably six months left before he….” Wyatt knew what his father meant, but he had never met his grandfather, so he didn’t have many emotions to express. “Dad, you said we were going to stay with him… where does he live?” Wyatt’s father leaned back in his chair, trying to regain his normal posture. “He lives near Russia, in a country called Chernarus.”

Thanks for reading, this is my first time writing lore or doing creative writing in general. I'd love any feedback or criticism you guys have if it'll help my writing. I have a lot more of the story written so far, but it is being finalized. This will be going into my character's backstory piece by piece regardless of whether you guys want to read it, but I figured I might as well post it as I write it. 

Edited by reesesaddict
Spacing

As an idea, maybe try adding some images or try different colours with the text and see how it turns out. Might be a bit more appealing than a wall of text

Good stuff here though, will be keeping my eye out for these

reesesaddict    28
4 minutes ago, ThatRyanGuy said:

As an idea, maybe try adding some images or try different colours with the text and see how it turns out. Might be a bit more appealing than a wall of text

Good stuff here though, will be keeping my eye out for these

Thanks man <3

I can definitely try something out. Thanks for the advice!

Castiel    1124

Pretty good stuff, man. Like Ryan said, pretty it up a little - then you'll have a good Lore thread going here. ^_^

reesesaddict    28
5 hours ago, Castiel said:

Pretty good stuff, man. Like Ryan said, pretty it up a little - then you'll have a good Lore thread going here. ^_^

Thanks man <3

Will definitely look into doing that.

Mercy    494

I enjoyed reading this, see you can put your mind to it without revolving yourself around a group to fit in. I enjoy reading this characters story a lot, his name is also very different and interesting so it's easy to remember it.

reesesaddict    28
3 hours ago, Hope said:

I enjoyed reading this, see you can put your mind to it without revolving yourself around a group to fit in. I enjoy reading this characters story a lot, his name is also very different and interesting so it's easy to remember it.

Thank you Hope! I am really enjoying writing lore for Wyatt, and I will definitely get the story finished. 

Squillium    323

Good stuff Reese. Other than the already suggested extra flare to make it look better, all I can say is make more.