Server time: 2017-10-23, 15:26
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Limiting Military Attire To The Given RP Role

Grim Reaper    0

So I looked around at some characters on a subthread asking to see others in game character. There was a couple of poeple (not naming names) but they complained about everyone looking like a soldier. I have to agree with them, to a extent, about what they can and cannot wear. So for example if your character is a news reporter, or another civilian role. They should not be able to wear for example a full Gorka uniform with an AK and looking like a Russian Spec Ops or something...

What I think people should be limited to who do not have military roles....

1. OREL Uniform - Military only
  2. Gorka Uniform - Military only
  3. TTsKO Uniform - Military only
  4. USMC Uniform - Military only

This does not include the vests or the other tactical clothing that goes with the uniforms. Just the uniforms themselves. I think it would be ok on a PVP server to wear all out military. But it seems kind of weird for civilians to look like Russian soldiers when their past job was a reporter or something along those lines. OR they could be limited to wear the pants, or shirt separate. It would be cool to see more civilian survivors, instead of military units running around with no civilian looking role play characters.

Either way this conversation goes, it would not affect me if they limit it or not, but would seem more realistic to limit the clothing.

Post    0

Sorry, but won't ever happen. Way too many people would infringe on this, and there would be reports daily. Just too hard to enforce something of this calibre. 

When central loot economy is put in, and we have the ability to edit the loot table (decrease/increase items) that is a possibility to then remove certain items there may then be a drop in military gear.

Chernov    0

When will the community realize that strangling everyone with millions of limitations only murders rp? When will we stop trying to make useless rules that only hinder rp?

Would you only wear military clothing if you were a soldier in real life?

Don't think so.

You got your answer.

Edited by Rogério SkyLab

Charlo    0

This could never happen, there is simply no way to enforce this. 

Shark    0

To preface, I pretty much only wear jeans and a normal shirt or jacket, nothing too heavy or large. However, two years and some change after the outbreak, you wanna tell me nobody would've picked up some extra clothes? Especially any sort of camo that could assist you in hiding from the random "cannibals" or whatever else would potentially be out there. As some others have said, it's impossible to enforce, but even then, it just makes no sense why people wouldn't wear whatever they find at this point. I may not personally do it, but people would've started carrying massive backpacks, wearing clothing with more carrying capacity, etc. Same as people who argue people shouldn't know how to use M4s or AKs unless they were soldiers. In two years, I would've figured out enough to know what I'm looking for and how to use useful shit.

Husky    0

No thanks, the military uniforms in dayz provides a lot of benefits for the general survivor, most of the clothing being waterproof for example and having a lot of carrying capacity not to mention the camouflage it provides making you sometimes less of a target, I don't see why this would ever be needed. 

LoneStarrr    84

There are many reasons I am against this. For one, it is near impossible to enforce and would result in a much larger workload for staff in the report section. Also, I have to agree with Chernov, this just further limits people in their RP which is not something that will help the community. The uniforms/camo clothing also come with many more benefits than just looking like a soldier. 

Edited by LoneStarrr

Stradic    286

This comes down to personal play style of how people play. Personally, I wear basic civi stuff but I don't think this is something that should be enforced as even lore wise it would make sense for people to wear that kinda stuff now being 2+ years into the outbreak. If you want you could call people out on it, for example I was around @The Marshal when he encountered some foreigner wearing US military gear with Marshal getting hostile with the  guy and getting him to change his getup.

Mamba    0

No , lol. It's 2 years into the apocalypse. You don't think survivors felt the need to adapt to survive? To use Camo to blend in? To use military weapons to protect themselves from threats? 

Dusty    1597

This is way too limiting and strict for no real good reason. My character is not a soldier, but I wear a gorka jacket to protect myself from the rain and cold, and because the inventory size is alright. Should I really be banned over wearing a certain jacket? That's honestly bullshit. 

Karma    169

This ''rule'' would make no sense and would limit RP far too much, military gear irl tends to be warmer, and works better for blending in with the camo. 

Plus we are nearly three years into the apocalypse now, people would adapt, they would raid the military bases for warmer/thicker clothing as well as for better guns, there is nothing stopping YOU from dressing like a civilian and not using military gear but it makes no sense to force others to not use it either. and aside from all that it would be nearly impossible to enforce the rule.

Keione    50

Nah. People live and adapt. It's not the beginning of the apocalypse.

Hollows    459
1 hour ago, Grim Reaper said:

-Snip-

-1 For me.

My group uses OREL and the Chernarussian Police Uniform to distinguish themselves as who they say to be, and I don't see how it effects realism. If it were an apocalypse, and I saw clothing which helped me blend in from predators, whether it be from Infected, other potentially harmful people, or wild animals, I'm going to wear it. I don't need to go to BUD/S and be a Navy SEAL to figure out how to put on pants and a jacket.

Not to mention, OREL isn't a military clothing. It's a Police uniform similar in comparison to the SWAT Team. Now, I can get how it's a bit of a cliche to run into military people all the time, but when we get down to the wire and with realism, people from the military would have experience to survive situations like these, whereas a janitor for your local University might not know how to shoot a weapon, let alone cleave in a skull of some rampaging Infected gnawing at their ankles or how to light a fire when they're dying of hypothermia. You don't need training to wear clothing, however. Just put one arm and leg in at a time and you're good.

Dustup    125

Why dictate what peoples characters in a video game can and can't look like with what is already restricted by what the game developers allow, just seems pointless and unneeded to me.

SpaceCowboy    230

This would limit players and would be too hard to enforce. Simple as that I am afraid.

APureGamer    55

Hope you realize any person can use military gear IRL. Combat boots, Vests, Clothing, Even guns with the right permits and depending on the state. 

Also with a zombie outbreak and all im most likely going to get military clothing/Items.

NOW. I do know people IC who will ask you nicely to take off a military uniform if you have not served. If you refuse then they take it.

Edited by APureGamer.

reesesaddict    28

I definitely see what you're trying to say, but I have to agree with everyone else. Doing this will lead to more limitations in RP which further hurts RP. There is definitely a problem with people using full military gear when they were a farmer or something along those lines, but someone can actually do a good job of RPing that out. Perhaps the character wanted to have better camouflage because they don't like interactions face-to-face. Maybe they want to seem more intimidating to people so they are less of a target. There are many ways to do a great job of RPing that out, and this rule would only hurt that. -1.

Xero3451    0
7 hours ago, Chernov said:

When will the community realize that strangling everyone with millions of limitations only murders rp? When will we stop trying to make useless rules that only hinder rp?

+1

it's two years into an apocalypse and hell if i find military clothing my first assumption will be "hey that may stop more bullets then my hoodie" and slap it on, don't need extensive military training to know hey point this end of the gun at people and they get shot, nor would i need it to put on a pair of clothes.

lol no wouldn't rather have more rules tbh.

MGGenao    0
On 1/15/2017 at 8:43 PM, Stradic said:

This comes down to personal play style of how people play. Personally, I wear basic civi stuff but I don't think this is something that should be enforced as even lore wise it would make sense for people to wear that kinda stuff now being 2+ years into the outbreak. If you want you could call people out on it, for example I was around @The Marshal when he encountered some foreigner wearing US military gear with Marshal getting hostile with the  guy and getting him to change his getup.

I myself on occasion have called people out who have tried to pass off as military and myself have been called out. If the person wearing the gear is RPing as military and shows a level of thought in their character and plays the role well, I usually don't give two shits and for those who've called me out, it's been the same. The only time people wearing military gear ever bothered me is when people try to pass off as military and do so poorly. Civilians wearing mil gear for practical purposes just seems logical. GRANTED there is plenty of quality civilian gear to get the same effect (Excluding the new BDU pants for mil gear that are common world wide and for civilians) or close to.

Charlo    0

Thinking about it logically two years into a apocalypse people would be wearing anything waterproof / better then the standard clothing they can get from Walmart. 

Id expect to see more people running around with military clothing for camouflage and warmth rather then a skimpy t shirt / hoodie and a pair of jeans. 

Jacquel    4
On 1/17/2017 at 4:24 AM, Charlie said:

Thinking about it logically two years into a apocalypse people would be wearing anything waterproof / better then the standard clothing they can get from Walmart. 

Id expect to see more people running around with military clothing for camouflage and warmth rather then a skimpy t shirt / hoodie and a pair of jeans. 

That is exactly it. The apocolypse hasn't just started. Between all the dead military members you could get gear off of, there would be a surplus of it that has been lifted by from the bases after the military left. While I love running in just civi gear I do like to spice up my regular sweater with a plate vest or green cargos.

The Buddha    25

After 3 years (almost) since the end of the world, there will be no governments. There would, really, be no such thing as a military for any nation. Humanity would be drawn down into basic functions.

There will be those that hunt, either for sport, food, or fun.  Yes that includes hunting people.

There will be those that gather supplies, creating groups with the only goal to survive as long as possible.

There will be the Lawless, Bandits, rogues and villains and those who take advantage of there being no law enforcement (including military) to do what they want to who they want. 

There will be the crazies, people that have broken mentally from the lack of civilisation and order as we once knew. 

There will be the caregivers. Those compelled, out of good will, to fight for and aid others. Such as medics 

But there will be no form of government... How would you manage to co-ordinate an election? Even if someone did become "leader" to a few people, it would not be enough to command enough people to call an army. There would be rogue bands of military personnel from before "shit hit the fan" But after the dust has settled, those people are trained individuals with no country left to fight for. Unless a squad remains together, there is no one to issue commands. Even if a squad remained together before and after all hell broke loose, there would be no echelon left above them to issue any commands. 

Countries... Borders... hell even nationalities, would mean sweet fuck all. Being patriotic for your country (although, in my opinion is an utterly moronic concept as it is.) means nothing if that country is a desolate shit hole infested with the reanimated deceased.  In the end people will have to fight for themselves, for basic survival. Getting from day to day would be more important than some far of place you used to call home. 

twig    18

A couple of things, one it would create an advantage for people who choose to be military IC which not everyone wants to do. Two it's a slippery slope to next couple of steps like no m4s/aks for none military, no advanced medical supplies for anyone that doesn't have a medical background. You have to see where limiting who has what will lead to.