Server time: 2017-08-19, 00:01

Sign in to follow this  
Method

how we could improve RP discussion

Method    55

No this is not a complain about wanting a lore wipe discussion which is how most of these turn into its a discussion on how we could improve RP with this lore and future lore's i've talked to a few people and they have expressed ways they feel we could better improve our RP of course i don't 100% agree with everything here but i wanted to bring up here so we could discuss them and you are open to bring up other ways you think we can improve

Here are some ways people think we can improve on

too many rules 

Spoiler

many people think that the rules have become over saturated and feel that they should be more like guild lines, (as the person said that's why there is reports to dispute if you feel like someone should be disciplined file a report )

too many bandit rp situations

Spoiler

people have expressed the concern that the community has a lot of bandit groups or groups that act as bandits as of late 

people don't know how to hold a conversation or don't want to

Spoiler

i've experienced this a couple times not enough for me to complain but others have told me to talk about it. as they put it, usually people are to preoccupied with IC motivations to stay and roleplay with randoms, everyone seems to be on their way to do things that they dont have time to rp with people they don't know 

gear oriented role-play

Spoiler

i don't really have to put anything here the title tells it all

(this is a small list of conversation pieces ill add more when people bring it up)

Edited by Method

Melvin    84

I like how half of the points listed as of the time of my post are basically implying that bandits are impeding roleplay's improvement.

Method    55

Im in a bandit group and i really dont mind it. These are just some points people have brought up as talking points on what they think needs to change in rp i find i would be better to talk about it and see how we could possiblely improve rp

What are some of your ideas on how we could improve rp melvin id love to put them up there so we can talk about them like i said thats just some complaints ive heard about from people

Edited by Method

Higher standards, better explanation of the rules, teaching rather than punishing, encouraging less Teamspeak usage in reports. 

Method    55

Mind if i put those as talking points as those are some mighty fine points you made post

Too many rules - 

I don't think there are too many rules, I think some could be considered unnecessary and some defiantly need more explanation or a rewording. I think settlement rules is a prime example of rules that needs to be changed or altered in a certain way. I see a lot of people hiding behind settlement rule armor and frankly it's sad. Another example would be the execution after one hostile encounter, I seriously think this needs a revamp and clearly the community do to. 

Too many bandit groups - 

I have plaid many different characters, neutral, bandit and campfire.  Personally without bandit groups we'd all be sat around a campfire singing my little pony and in no way do I think there are to many, I think think the 'Campfire RP'ers' get upset when it's disturbed by said bandit group. 

Holding a conversation - 

I have noticed this a few times recently and I put it down to lack of experience, people are new to the server and are new to role play, we were all new once and I feel like we need to give the new guys more credit for trying RP out and getting involved, people just need a boost of confidence while role playing and that comes with time and experience, hence why we have the mentor program.

Gear robbery's - 

Not been robbed in a long time so can't specifically comment on that from a personal stand point however I am seeing a few reports were people are getting 'Gear RP'ed' and I'ts generally the new guys. Instead of being salty you lost your gear, talk to them in team speak and let them know rather then completely putting them of roleplay and getting them banned. 

Edited by Charlie

Method    55

Well charlie i feel the same way about bandit rp thus why im in a bandit group and about the experience thing i completely agree my rp was complete crap  when i first started as i was unsure of myself but like i said its a talking point im hoping we can help the other members feel like they can open up and not feel like the community expects them to be perfect but they do need to be a bit more out going  

3 minutes ago, Method said:

Well charlie i feel the same way about bandit rp thus why im in a bandit group and about the experience thing i completely agree my rp was complete crap  when i first started as i was unsure of myself but like i said its a talking point im hoping we can help the other members feel like they can open up and not feel like the community expects them to be perfect but they do need to be a bit more out going  

Nobody is perfect and I made that pretty clear in my post above, it comes down to the more experienced members being understanding and a little more accepting rather then report hungry. I strongly feel there should be an option when you white list to take part in the mentor program, I don't think it's published enough for new members to see it, If I didn't have certain people in this community help me understand how to RP I wouldn't be where I am now. People need a boost in the right direction and that's what the mentor program is for but like I said above the staff team need to do a better job at making it known to newer members if they wish to take part. 

Cid    332
30 minutes ago, Post said:

Higher standards

Pretty much the only one we really need.  To many people are calling mediocre great and that needs to stop.  Not to try and harp on a lot of newer roleplayers, but I've also seen a lot of veteran roleplayers hit a pretty low standard and I know they can do better.

Edited by Cid
o's

Melvin    84

thing is, method, the mentor programme was great but everyone ignored it. everyone crys that they want roleplay to be better, they say that quality of dayzrp's roleplay suck and when a legitimate solution arrive, the response is limited.

besides that, really good roleplayers have either taken a hiatus or took a break from dayzrp for awhile. they will return though, defo, and you will see rp go back up

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Too many bandit groups - 

I have plaid many different characters, neutral, bandit and campfire.  Personally without bandit groups we'd all be sat around a campfire singing my little pony and in no way do I think there are to many, I think think the 'Campfire RP'ers' get upset when it's disturbed by said bandit group. 

I agree with the rest of what you said, but as far as this point, there's a difference between "we need less bandit groups" and "no bandit groups at all".

I wouldn't say we have too many bandit groups; a brief overview of the factions and groups suggests that dedicated bandits are the minority right now. Rather, I'd classify the problem as being that too many "neutral" players/groups are overly willing to jump straight into shit-talking and hostilities. If the neutral/survivor/scavenger/etc groups and players would start getting triggered a little less easily, the so-called "bandit problem" wouldn't be so bad.

2 hours ago, Method said:

i've experienced this a couple times not enough for me to complain but others have told me to talk about it. as they put it, usually people are to preoccupied with IC motivations to stay and roleplay with randoms, everyone seems to be on their way to do things that they dont have time to rp with people they don't know 

I agree that a lot of the time when I see people they start either running away or they're off to see someone. I can't put all the blame on "others" tho, maybe they want to go RP with the people they want to RP with and I can't blame them for that as I've done that in the past. In my opinion, if people want RP to improve they need to look inwards first and try to look for something wrong in what they do so they can fix it.  

Method    55

Like i have stated multiple times before this is a discussion it mainly because ive heard a bunch of people complaining about these things so i decided to make a thread based on them

Keione    49

Basically what Tosh said.

I don't think there are too many bandit groups, though. I think the bandit groups actually go out and do things which is what some groups don't do - they just sit around their own towns, and that's not a bad thing. You just see bandits more because they're out hunting.

The rules need to be further explained and actually used as a standard for reports too instead of case by case, because case by case confuses community members on what is allowed and what isn't until someone steps in and explains.

Dr Willsky    153

I think it all boils down to the capability to set aside your OOC pride. To make your RP better you have to set aside every OOC aspect.
I saw/see this a lot in hostage situations. There's a lot of situations where the hostage taker is trying to RP with his captive but the whole interaction is stopped because the hostage has either to much (OOC) pride or he is being salty about losing his gear. It makes it much more enjoyable when roleplay comes from both sides without any OOC aspect involved. I know sometimes it's the opposite that happens, the hostage taker is completely uncapable of providing any RP but there's other way to deal with that than to go OOC straight up and breaking rules yourself. 

Keep in mind this isn't limited to hostile encounters, this goes for every encounter. People need to learn that being in character isn't the same as being out of character. 

I know some people will say : 'Yea but I'm playing as myself IG!' 

Well then you have to be consequent with the actions and characterstics your 'yourself character' has in game. Same goes for a completely different character. it's way more  enjoyable to be someone with a completely different personality IG than just being you. It's more enjoyable for yourself and the people you interact with. 

Just my two cents and opinion on how to make RP greater 

Method    55

Mind if you could put that into the format i did uptop because willsky you point on seperating ic and ooc is a good point

Cole    10
14 hours ago, Method said:

It could also just be newer players who are not yet as comfortable with role-playing with people they don't really know or aren't friends with OOC, as someone who was brought into the community by a friend I can say firsthand that my first week or two were spent avoiding other people and just hanging out with my bud, just takes some people longer to get more accustomed to the environment and community I guess.

As I'm constantly over the fence when it comes to opinions on the current Role-Play that is presented by the community, I can give something off from what I think:

-Bandit RP

There's no such thing as "Bandit RP is ruining the server", no. However, bad Bandit RP certainly is. Don't you even dare to question me about it, since you can find reports over reports, and threads over threads, that prove this.

-Campfire RP

Campfire RP doesn't exist anymore. Not for what I have seen in the past few months. Nobody even talks to each other that much, why would they sit around a campfire to tell stories and shit? I was one of these people, who enjoyed coming to the server to actually RP, and not run around searching for people. I would go the hot-spots and have fun, talk to others, tell stories, play my guitar, etc... Now, if you happen to have any of these moments without involving Internal RP with your group, you are just a lucky person.

-Segregation

I feel like the first topic explains the third, which explains the second. Bad Bandit RP makes people go away from hot spots, avoiding such a thing, and that makes for less people talking to each other and just avoiding others in general, which leads to massive amounts of Internal RP and just that. I'm not saying that Internal RP is bad, no. I'm saying that ONLY doing Internal RP is bad. If you only talk to people from your group or some other selected individuals, you are doing role-play wrong, and should not be holding a slot in between the other 59 players out there, willing to meet someone new to talk to.

That's just my opinion.

Jacquel    4

Me personally I think the server and community is set up fairly well however I am still new here. One thing that plagues ALL RP servers is gear play and everyone is Rambo that is grizzled and not effected by weather, fright or stress. I have yet to see one person dress in anything less than FULL military gear.  While yes the arguement could be made that "Well its many years after the apocolypse", but I say this in return. Military gear would be sparce and picked over after the years, and the need for camoflauge very low as zombies don't see well this far into the apocolypse and a basic green or brown clothing set up is enough to hide you.

Reav    127
7 minutes ago, Jacquel said:

I have yet to see one person dress in anything less than FULL military gear. 

You must not be looking hard then, I meet several people daily in civilian clothing.

Shane    353
On 1/18/2017 at 0:52 PM, Jacquel said:

I have yet to see one person dress in anything less than FULL military gear. 

I always wear a hoodie of some sort, jeans, courier bag, beanie, face mask and aviators of course and I always run into people dressed in civvie gear ya just need to stay away from the Airfield and Tisy :P

Edited by Shane

On 1/18/2017 at 2:52 PM, Jacquel said:

Me personally I think the server and community is set up fairly well however I am still new here. One thing that plagues ALL RP servers is gear play and everyone is Rambo that is grizzled and not effected by weather, fright or stress. I have yet to see one person dress in anything less than FULL military gear.  While yes the arguement could be made that "Well its many years after the apocolypse", but I say this in return. Military gear would be sparce and picked over after the years, and the need for camoflauge very low as zombies don't see well this far into the apocolypse and a basic green or brown clothing set up is enough to hide you.

It depends on where you are looking. If you stay around high military loot, you'll mostly get people dressed all military. But from what I have seen most people wear normal civilian clothing for the most part.

On 18-1-2017 at 1:52 PM, Jacquel said:

and the need for camoflauge very low as zombies don't see well this far into the apocolypse and a basic green or brown clothing set up is enough to hide you.

use camo to hide from bandits or the opposite

Jacquel    4
1 hour ago, Andrey said:

It depends on where you are looking. If you stay around high military loot, you'll mostly get people dressed all military. But from what I have seen most people wear normal civilian clothing for the most part.

Oh I agree totally. I usually hang out very far north. Rarely dropping below the main Northern Highway. I don't really run into anyone until I head into the main cities for supply runs. In all honesty I rarely get a chance to RP because I avoid people as that is part of my players way of doing things. I will say after two weeks of being on the server I am loving the sessions I have been having. Some top notch RPers in this community.

Mr. night    4

My own pet peeve is people wearing vests and backpacks like damn that a lot of weight, anyways i think when it comes to rp it just comes down to the creativity and willingness of people who want to make interesting and memorable interactions, sometimes people aren't willing to experience something different, i think everyone just has to be open that just my 2 cents tho