Server time: 2017-08-17, 08:12

Sign in to follow this  
JAMMIELAD

Time to make a new character.

JAMMIELAD    143

Hey there everyone, it's your irrelevant kettle JAMMIELAD here.

But srsly.

So my main character James Thompson is no longer active, he's the very first character I've made on these servers and I've really enjoyed him, playing him as this nervous wreck at first, only to become more cold and more comfortable with what's going on. Still shit at combat though.

But since I've kind of gotten bored with the character, and the fact he's headed to the mythical place known as "North" it's time to make a new character. Now, usually I don't have any problems with something like this. I've created quite a few stories for another community I was involved with, with ease and I enjoyed it. In this case however, I am REALLY struggling to create a character, a legitimate character that I can effectively RP with because, you know, RP. I've tried to create a backstory and the character themself but I just cannot seem to differentiate from my main character. All the other characters have either a very similar personality or just a really unoriginal backstory. Thankfully it's not something like "Navy Seal, Sole Survivor of the plane crash in Cherno" or just your stereotypical bad accent Russian because well, it's fucking shite. And I'm a serious roleplayer.

So instead of giving up or being half arsed, I thought "Hey, let's annoy the community and get a discussion going, see what other serious Roleplayers do to create a character". Because I do actually find it interesting to see what kind of things other people do to create a character that they intend to keep and have fun with and create a fantastic overall arc, I don't want to create a character I can meme with, at least not yet.

So yeah, what do you guys do? 

if this is more of a question thing then feel free to move it i'm sorry <3

Hai ^,^

I pretty much just do all the accents I can do, choose one and base a story of it. Right now I'm playing an Irish character, finding it really fun, still working on the accent though.  

When i make a new character, I usually find a decent looking outfit and pull off a random accent, and stick to it, and build his backstory as I play him, it's more fun that way for me anyway, instead of spending ages writing a story that you may not want to use.

Lankin    102

I try to have my characters relate to me IRL as much as possible. So I am really just RPing as myself but with a few different quirks, and some different backstory. Sometimes I like to take some inspiration from my favorite TV/Film characters. Take little moments from their lives that shaped them into who they are today. Also, I like to add events into my characters background that would take other RP'ers by surprise ooc if they ever found out. Events that could make them feel sorry towards my character or even the opposite, hate them.

I also go into allot of details, like his views on Politics and Religion, you know, details like that. So that I have allot of avenues of RP to have, you never know who you might meet and talk about. I also go as far as views on past events that really happened, world wars, terrorist attacks.. that sort of thing, views on other races. I try and stay away from things I also don't think I do well IRL, specific accents, medical skills, musical talent. Thats just some of the things I do. I find it easy to do this given my background in drama and improvisation.

Joules    226

My general plan of action for new characters is advanced planning. By this I mean I usually end up coming up with random ideas for characters over time, and when it's time to play a new character I put more thought into those random ideas.

To show the process I'll use my current character Carley Kramer as a case study.

I had seen the film many years ago, but in my American Foreign Policy class I rewatched the film Dr. Strangelove.

I was intrigued after the end of the film by the prospect of a mineshaft being used to repopulate the earth.

So I decided to run with that idea. I had this idea floating around in my head for sometime before deciding to create a new character. From there, I wanted to think of an interesting career that would justify her existence in Chernarus. I decided that she was a foreign correspondent and was sent to the country of Georgia to cover the infection.  I had the idea of a foreign correspondent after seeing my copy of Berlin Diary again and reading the first 30 pages again.

So I had the general concept of the character done, but when it comes to personality thats something that I have many ways to figure out. I'm still trying to figure out the personality of the character, but works since right now she is sort of catatonic and unable to communicate with people appropriately. Once she has her head screwed on right again, I'll have had to figure out what I want to do with her personality.

Long story short, I like to come up with complex characters with interesting careers. I think that at least for me makes my RP more on point. I could never RP out a housewife or a character with an easy career. That's just not my life. 

Edited by Joules

Uhka    12

My way to make up new backstory is as follows: I Work as a bouncer in a bar, so I stand for 8h straight, without doing much. In that 8h I have plenty of time to plan new backstories. 

I Really can't do any accents besides from my Finnish accent. Thus I first think about how any Finn would end up in Cherno? Maybe he was travelling to Russia as the infection started and ended up in Cherno. Maybe he was a small business owner and went to buy cheap supplied from Cherno. 

After that I think about the childhood and how he became the person he was before the infection. What is his personality alike? What does he like? Maybe he has some injuries that hinder his actions in someways. 

After that comes the funniest part of thinking about the events after the infection. What did my character have to do to survive? Was he a part of a group.

So, if yoy have lot's of time to think, make it as detailed as you can. That's how I can really get into my character and fully immerse in the RP.

JAMMIELAD    143

All of these are actually quite interesting. 

For my first character, I used the name of a person I created in one of the stories I created  a number of years back and used that as a baseline, then I used aspects of my life and ideals as well as goals I want to reach and infused them with the character. So sometimes Thompson might come off as naive, but in actually he's just a gentle person who knows when to admit defeat. After a while though of settling in, because I used a few ailments I had (illnesses, nervousness etc) to enforce my character as well as build him up.

For the latest on character development, Thompson tags along with his mate he met while scavenging and things led on from there, still cannot shoot to save his life but he tries.

So to me, it's actually quite hard to act like a tough guy, or a good PvRPer, a maniac, a killer and all that shit, the only one I feel somewhat comfortable with, is being the loner, or the cautious type, which unfortunately restricts my RP so it's quite rare for me to meet people, since I especially avoid the Triangle because of the amount of edgelords and memers who go there and simply rob people for the shits and giggles. Obviously not EVERYONE that travels through there is like that, it's a poor generalisation on my part, just everytime I've been there it's left a bad taste in my mouth.  So no matter what character I make, I cannot make myself go into the Triangle which sucks. I know this might seem irrelevant, but it's actually quite a big hindrance for me :/

So I have quite a big restriction on my end to create a character this isn't the same as the first one, but what you guys have said so far actually give me somewhat of an inspiration and a different way to look at the character creation process, I like it. Thank you all again. 

Obviously I'd like to hear more people comment here, it's just all fascinating to me.

When I make a character, I get a vague idea of what I want them to be such as build, sex ect. I then use a name generator for the name and think of a basic backstory and what they are like. Once I have this, I slowly build on their backstory. Its not really crazy but it lets me make characters without getting writers block or anything like that.

I usually do a Scottish character cause of my strong accent but i have recently made a Serbian character and totally changed my accent to fit him and it actually has made rping fun for me again also using a outfit for your character makes it fun aswell.

reesesaddict    28

When I make a new character, I think a lot about "how will this character be unique?" For example, I made a kid character named Wyatt couple months back. Wyatt is a teenager, but extremely hardened. He will help others, but he works mainly for himself. On the other hand, I wanted to make a cannibal character. Another kid character. Most people say, "that's stupid that you have a kid cannibal!" Thing is, my character hates himself for being a cannibal, and during hostile situations, he cares for his victims and even cries about what he's doing. He's extremely unique and I love it. Find what makes your character unique, that's probably the most important part.

Irish    73

I just try to do something different to be honest, sometimes its nothing major, sometimes I completely swap style just try everything you can mate eventually a character will click with you :) Maybe try text rp for example, that was one of the new things i tried with my Eliane character a few months back and loved it! Oh and for back story just get a rough idea of why or how you got there and go from there :D