Server time: 2017-08-18, 08:50

Sign in to follow this  

What is positive contribution?

Question

Since my question thread was abruptly closed I will make another one.  

This is a genuine question and not meant for drama.  

So my boy Thumper got permabanned for allegedly not contributing in a positive way.  He gets no appeal and is gone forever. 

However I would consider calling out inconsistencies, holding staff accountable for mistakes and making numerous guides and rule suggestions as positively contributing as it helps the community.  So instead of vague responses with no evidence to support it what did he specifically do wrong and what is considered  positively contributing if the above mentioned is not considered positive.? 

39 answers to this question

Samti    92

Hi rampage

I think you should ask staff in the helpdesk or trough their messages bud. I don't think anyone else but the staff can help you with that.

Sincerely

Samti

Dew    208
1 minute ago, Samti said:

Hi rampage

I think you should ask staff in the helpdesk or trough their messages bud. I don't think anyone else but the staff can help you with that.

Sincerely

Samti

That's why he posted this in questions you silly goose.

Think of it like this, if you say anything negative about the community, staff, rules, etc this isn't contributing, because it makes the community look like a rundown town. It's like a company; we only want positive posts, threads, feedback, and tell us how good we doing, but if you say one wrong thing, consider it a warning and then bye bye.

Positive contribution to the community has to be stuff like patting staff on the back, don't make suggestions that fuck with the system, and always follow the rules that are made up and don't question the law.

Does this answer question?

Edited by Vapor

Cid    332

You can do all of those things Rampage and you know that.  It's the way that you do them that is important.  Obviously, Thumper did them in the wrong way, otherwise he wouldn't be gone.  Calling out mistakes, inconsistencies, wrong-doings or whatever the hell you want to call them is okay, there wouldn't be a staff feedback thread if that wasn't the case.  It's how you present yourself that matters the most, and if you sound like an ass 9 times out of 10 you are either not going to be taken seriously or shown right out the door.

Personally I think staff just didn't wanna deal with their issues and getting put in blast so they permd the poor guy. Pretty fucked if you ask me. If you speak out you are banned. Pretty cool tbh. Unless someone wants to answer and tell us why other than closing. 

Voodoo    357

Positive contribution is keeping your ideas and opinions to yourself. As a community member we are just meant to play on the servers and follow the rules without freedom of speech.

Does this answer the question?

6 minutes ago, Cid said:

You can do all of those things Rampage and you know that.  It's the way that you do them that is important.  Obviously, Thumper did them in the wrong way, otherwise he wouldn't be gone.  Calling out mistakes, inconsistencies, wrong-doings or whatever the hell you want to call them is okay, there wouldn't be a staff feedback thread if that wasn't the case.  It's how you present yourself that matters the most, and if you sound like an ass 9 times out of 10 you are either not going to be taken seriously or shown right out the door.

Find me what he did so wrong.  He has made countless threads contributing to the community and last I checked questioning staff decisions is a good thing.  If we just accept what is we accept mediocrity.   Lots of people are dissatisfied with staff and there are constant mistakes.  Calling them out Is needed.  Staff wouldn't get beat up all the time if better quality work is being put out.   

But it again I can't find anything thumper has posted that warranted the ban. 

So so my question remains. 

3 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Positive contribution is keeping your ideas and opinions to yourself. As a community member we are just meant to play on the servers and follow the rules without freedom of speech.

Does this answer the question?

I'd honestly like to know staffs opinion on this.  Because a lot of issues I that are brought up is agreed with by some staff members.  Sure publicly they won't admit to it but behind closed doors some of them feel the same way they are just afraid to speak out. 

Edited by Rampage

Cid    332
4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Find me what he did so wrong.  He has made countless threads contributing to the community and last I checked questioning staff decisions is a good thing.  If we just accept what is we accept mediocrity.   Lots of people are dissatisfied with staff and there are constant mistakes.  Calling them out Is needed.  Staff wouldn't get beat up all the time if better quality work is being put out.   

But it again I can't find anything thumper has posted that warranted the ban. 

So so my question remains. 

What he did wrong was sound like an ass with his call-outs and his criticism.  It doesn't matter if he was right or wrong, the point is that he didn't come across the way that he should of.  There are plenty of other community members that have questioned shit that staff or even other community members have done without sounding like an ass and actually sounding like they were giving proper feedback.  Almost everything Thumper posted in that regard came off as an attack towards others and towards staff, plain and simple.  Attacking staff isn't the way to make change.  Attacking staff gets you banned, always have and always will.

Thumper didn't do anything wrong with providing the feedback, it was the way that he provided the feedback that was the problem.  I'm not sure why so many people don't understand that.  It's pretty simple.

Edited by Cid
words

Unknown Entity    126

Getting rid of someone who brings up issues is a lot easier than solving those issues. Hence the perma.

Obviously the excuse is because he caused too much "drama".

Edited by uSx

To be honest, I don't know anymore. Other than simply saying "You have been doing a great job so far!" the lines of what seems to be legit criticism and "not contributing" have been growing closer and closer in my eyes.

1 minute ago, Cid said:

What he did wrong was sound like an ass with his call-outs and his criticism.  It doesn't matter if he was right or wrong, the point is that he didn't come across the way that he should of.  There are plenty of other community members that have questioned shit that staff or even other community members have done without sounding like an ass and actually sounding like they were giving proper feedback.  Almost everything Thumper posted in that regard came off as an attack towards others and towards staff, plain and simple.  Attacking staff isn't the way to make change.  Attacking staff gets you banned, always have and always will.

Thumper didn't do anything wrong with providing the feedback, the way that he provided the feedback was the problem.  I'm not sure why so many people don't understand that.  It's pretty simple.

He was blunt but never personally attacked staff.   I'm blunt.  I'm not going to sugar coat anything and neither did he. 

Cid    332
1 minute ago, Rampage said:

He was blunt but never personally attacked staff.   I'm blunt.  I'm not going to sugar coat anything and neither did he. 

I am blunt as well.  I haven't found myself having any issues staying in this community.

2 minutes ago, Cid said:

I am blunt as well.  I haven't found myself having any issues staying in this community.

You are entitled to your opinion. 

Cid    332
Just now, Rampage said:

You are entitled to your opinion. 

And so are you, just don't be an ass when saying your opinion.  It kinda works the same as flaming.

12 minutes ago, Cid said:

And so are you, just don't be an ass when saying your opinion.  It kinda works the same as flaming.

Maybe you are just too sensitive ( which is ok ) and take stern criticism as flaming. When it's really not.  

Now one please stop derailing my question.  Unless you have proof to substantiate your claims I don't care to hear anymore.  

Edited by Rampage

Skinner    431

Wait Thumper is perm'd?? I  have a hard time it would be for not "making a positive contribution" as he has been one of the most vocal members of the community towards pointing out inconsistency in community behavior and staff behavior. Yes he has a reputation for being blunt and some find him abrasive if you're on the wrong end of an argument with him, but that's certainly not a reason to ban him.

Is this ban to do with his posts in the "Clean sheet of the year" nomination thread? I'm having trouble understanding exactly what rule he broke and why he was banned. I'd like staff to shed some light on this. 

Edited by TheMatt924

Kanye    14
20 minutes ago, Cid said:

You may be blunt, but you are being blunt towards those without the power to ban people unilaterally. Thumper was standing up to the metaphorical "man" and got fucked for it.

Cid    332
14 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Maybe you are just too sensitive ( which is ok ) and take stern criticism as flaming. When it's really not.  

Now one please stop derailing my question.  Unless you have proof to substantiate your claims I don't care to hear anymore.  

I don't really think I'm derailing the thread, just explaining what you refuse to see as what I think to be the right answer.  I can repeat myself - Thumper, despite whether or not his accusations/call-outs/criticisms/feedback was true, did not provide the feedback in a manner in which he should of, thus he was removed.  It would be the same for anyone else who did the same, though perhaps they would simply be warned because they did not uphold the same deal that Thumper and Rolle had.  Your answer is this:  if you are providing your feedback in a way that shows you as an ass, you will likely be warned for it like you would be warned for flaming or breaking any other community rule.

Don't claim that I am derailing your thread because you don't like the answer.  Just because you feel it is wrong doesn't make it off-topic.  Other people may feel that it is the correct answer.  In terms of the proof that you are looking for, though cliche as it may be take a look at his post history.  That is where the proof would be in this situation.

Edited by Cid

1 minute ago, Cid said:

I don't really think I'm derailing the thread, just explaining what you refuse to see as what I think to be the right answer.  I can repeat myself - Thumper, despite whether or not his accusations/call-outs/criticisms/feedback was true, did not provide the feedback in a manner in which he should of, thus he was removed.  It would be the same for anyone else who did the same, though perhaps they would simply be warned because they did not uphold the same deal that Thumper and Rolle had.  Your answer is this:  if you are providing your feedback in a way that shows you as an ass, you will likely be warned for it like you would be warned for flaming or breaking any other community rule.

Don't claim that I am derailing your thread because you don't like the answer.  Just because you feel it is wrong doesn't make it off-topic.  Other people may feel that it is the correct answer.

I'm not interested in your opinion unless you can provide me evidence or fact to back up your claim.  The way you feel or interpret domes text doesn't answer my question 

Elmo    898

I don't buy the reasoning for the ban. Simply put, it seems like there was an attitude adjustment needed that wasn't seen and Thumper was punished for it.

He was bullish, somewhat arrogant and very forthcoming with his opinions. Does that make him a bad guy or an unproductive, negative community member? In my opinion, no it does not. 

In the short time that I knew Thumper, (forum presence only) he created controversy on the forums with his posts, be they of a questioning, challenging or otherwise provocative nature, they always had a reason behind them. There was (to my knowledge) never an unnecessary "drama" post from the guy, if he started controversy on the forums there was always a result and a reason, be it to help overturn an unjust ban, criticise staff for their practices or point out flaws in the community. Simply, he was a productive member of the community, not necessarily always the most positive guy to argue with or talk to, but certainly a productive and valuable member when it comes down to the bone.

Do I think he needed an attitude adjustment: yes.

Do I think he was a productive member of the community: yes.

Do I think it was fair to ban him for his abrasive attitude: no.

Thumper could be harsh in his words, but has he ever spoken anything which wasn't true? He was busy with trying to make the community better, apperently thats enough reason to deserve a ticket out of here.

Guess that positive contribution you're looking for is the dimes being chipped into the business thats called Dayzrp, for the rest all you need to do is shut up an play.

Hebee    2216

Positive contribution = attemtping to make every staff decision look outlandish, stupid and undermining all of the work they do? Nah. 

Positively contributing is attemtping to help move forward taking on all angles of the situation at hand looking at it unbiasedly and making a reasonable and appropriate suggestion on how to move forward.

Sure, he made some good points every now and then but the way he went about it was just wrong, and most of the time it was just bullshit for whatever reason. Constantly calling people out, "making mountains out of molehills" forgive the cliche; and just overall being cocky arrogant and condescending about it is not positively contributing. And it is obvious that he was just doing it to stir the pot, not because he gave a fuck, kind of like this gemstone,

You can say what you want and justify it anyway you want but it is all clear as day, this isn't a case of someone giving their opinion and getting burned, rather someone constantly trying to cause a uproar for shits and giggles and getting pummeled.

Kanye    14

Staff has done a disservice to the community by removing him. Plain and simple.

For all the talk about him being toxic? Staff disappointing half the community on a daily basis is toxic. For the rest of the yes-men in the community, you are complicit.

Goku    61

You can have an opinion, you can voice it. All we ask is that you don't go out of your way to nit pick everything that happens in this community and try to cause a stir. It's ok to want to change something that is truely broken but if you don't like something and someone doesn't agree with you don't go about causing mayhem. If you've got a concern, share it. If you can do it and be constructive, do it if you can't then try. In times like this I always remember something I read 'It costs nothing to say something nice. It costs even less to keep quiet.'. So if you have a concern voice it but be constructive about it.

Hope this helps.

Elmo    898

I suppose I didn't really answer the thread's question. My bad.

To me, positive contribution is really quite simple.

- Actively contribute your opinions in an eloquent, thoughtful manner.

- Seek positive, needed change and help to bring it about through polite, constructive criticism or commendation.

- Present yourself as a role-model, be active in game, be active on the forums, display respect for your fellow community members, staff and try to phrase things as diplomatically as possible whilst remaining honest.

- Actively seek to better the community through clever ideas like the Mentor Programme.

I feel as if the best way to approach the community is a respectful and honest approach, feel free to disagree with me though if you do I would like to hear why.

Edited by Elmo