Server time: 2017-10-19, 20:11
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
TryaxReck

Change to the tech rule

TryaxReck    16

There is a rule that states that all tech in DayZ would be more or less broken, thus making it being unable to be used. But I think that there should (Albeit few) changes to this rule. First off , satellite phones. These rely on satellites, which, are up in space and probably haven't broken orbit. So these phones technically can call anyone in the world, if someone has the right phone number and another phone.  These should probably be implemented more for the lore with other countries, because there isn't much more way to do so.

Secondly, generators and floodlights: I was going to add these in here but they are coming in beta so It will be added eventually. 

Finally, socket and plug appliances. These COULD work but only IF a special generator was found (i.e a generator with sockets built in.) AND enough gasoline was found, which would be a lot, considering that the gas usage is very high on a generator.  

This is my suggestion for the future of technology and appliances, and I would like to hear your say on this! 

It's all a question of whether you can RP it or not. For example, I had one character that kept his cellphone with him, as he had a 'sort of' fixed solar power pocket generator. I managed to get into quite some few situations because of it.

As to satellite phones, satellites need constant maintenance, and they might rotate in a way that will prevent communication. It's virtually impossible to have 0 momentum in space, at least in real life, so they are indeed rotating out of control as of now, since the solar arrays must be directed to the sun when they need to be recharged, which often need a manual override to do so. But anyway, if you can manage a good enough excuse to use it, there's no problem in it, just be sure to make some research beforehand.

Now, to generators and floodlights, I had people RPing that they had a generator that was powering up a radio station (Even though there were no actual generators there), and he requested donations, such as gas canisters and such, to power this generator. Even though there was none, people kept giving him gas cans. He would often put them inside a tent next to the tower, and if people asked "Do you have a car or something?", he would just answer "Oh, the petrol cans? Those are for the generator".

Like mostly everything in DayZRP, if you research it before trying it out, nothing bad SHOULD happen.

Thumper    0

I was not aware this 'issue' was so detrimental to the development of spectacular roleplay. I mean, Ive been washing my gear in the creek when I could have been roleplaying that one of the many washers sitting haphazardly everywhere in Chernarus could actually work? What a dope am I.....

When I was part of the UN Expedition from Iceland we used sat phones all the time. So...its already part of the lore that the countries surviving would likely have access to the technologies.

Charlo    0

It's definitely something that could be considered in the new lore wipe. I don't think implementing that two years into an apocalypse would make much sense.. 

Voodoo    488

Sat phones i can understand. I mean even an ipod i can understand and thats without a generator, just needs a car that has a decent battery (unfortunatly vehicles are not coming back yet).

Is it really a problem though that it needs a clarification on what tech can and cant be used? Just seems like more hassle when people could just use common sense.

WilliAM    431

I think generators are cool, but you need to properly RP it out much like anything. SAT phones are cool too. But with the other stuff it should be brought up with a new lore wipe. 

Shark    0

There is no 'tech rule'. Can't change something that doesn't exist.

Castiel    1124

I really don't think anything needs to change. If you want to RP that you have a generator charge an iPod etc then just do it, no person or rule is stopping you. If you want to RP that you use a satellite phone instead of a radio, nothing is stopping you.

42 minutes ago, Castiel said:

I really don't think anything needs to change. If you want to RP that you have a generator charge an iPod etc then just do it, no person or rule is stopping you. If you want to RP that you use a satellite phone instead of a radio, nothing is stopping you.

Just to add to what Castiel said, you can also use the same RP sense to change stuff around IG, such as one thing that I did not too long ago: I had a sword I carried with me, but it looked like a medieval sword. Every time someone asked about it I would quickly type: *You see a katana on my back*. It clearly looked like a knight's sword, however, I chose to make it look like a katana in the RP sense. And yes, this was approved by the admins.

You can use this to other items, such as calling a can of peaches an actual can of ravioli. It's all about realism. You can do it if it doesn't break power-gaming or if it's not related to any type of trolling, such as memes and etc...

TryaxReck    16
23 hours ago, Tosh said:

There is no 'tech rule'. Can't change something that doesn't exist.

Alright sorry, "Can't use computers with wifi in the apocalypse rule" or "common sense"

23 hours ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

It's all a question of whether you can RP it or not. For example, I had one character that kept his cellphone with him, as he had a 'sort of' fixed solar power pocket generator. I managed to get into quite some few situations because of it.

As to satellite phones, satellites need constant maintenance, and they might rotate in a way that will prevent communication. It's virtually impossible to have 0 momentum in space, at least in real life, so they are indeed rotating out of control as of now, since the solar arrays must be directed to the sun when they need to be recharged, which often need a manual override to do so. But anyway, if you can manage a good enough excuse to use it, there's no problem in it, just be sure to make some research beforehand.

Now, to generators and floodlights, I had people RPing that they had a generator that was powering up a radio station (Even though there were no actual generators there), and he requested donations, such as gas canisters and such, to power this generator. Even though there was none, people kept giving him gas cans. He would often put them inside a tent next to the tower, and if people asked "Do you have a car or something?", he would just answer "Oh, the petrol cans? Those are for the generator".

Like mostly everything in DayZRP, if you research it before trying it out, nothing bad SHOULD happen.

My thoughts exactly. But in beta they will have a generator, so having it ICly probably would be frowned upon then. And thanks for the info regarding satellite phones, but they do have to orbit around the earth because of gravity, so for the few receiving power, thus allowing the satellite phones would work partially. But I think radios would be much more efficient, leaving satellite phones being used for private conversations more or less (aka when someone posts a private message on radio chatter), but I do agree with most of things you say.

Edited by TryaxReck
Forgot to put a sentence somewhere.

Rampage    0

This is almost 3 years into the apocalypse and you think we will have washers and dryers and other kinds of tech.   Which imaginary people would be keeping up with the satellites?  Silly idea imo.   Keep things rugged as is. 

Edited by Rampage

TryaxReck    16
Just now, Rampage said:

This is almost 3 years of not the apocalypse and you think we will have washers and dryers and other kinds of tech.   Which imaginary people would be keeping up with the satellites?  Silly idea imo.   Keep things rugged as is. 

We have the ability to, we didn't teleport back in time as soon as the infected showed up, everything we need is there, we just have to figure out what to do with it.

Rampage    0

Sure.  Build a satellite and launch it in space.   Would be interesting to see that rpd out 

Shark    0
39 minutes ago, TryaxReck said:

Alright sorry, "Can't use computers with wifi in the apocalypse rule" or "common sense".

Right. Common sense is rare but it's allowed. Just like racist RP. Can either be a permaban if done wrong, or high praises if done right.

So not sure what you want out of this. Don't be a retard in game and nothing will happen as far as bans go.

30 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Sure.  Build a satellite and launch it in space.   Would be interesting to see that rpd out 

Satellites don't fall, well, not normally, so there's no need to put more into space. A stable orbit it set around Earth, and if a normal human being manages to get hand of a satellite phone that is indeed linked with this specific satellite, they WILL have the chance to communicate with others, giving that they calculate the time they will be able to use.

Satellites are constantly rotating without control, if there's no one overwatching them, because auto-pilot has batteries, and if they are not rotated to the sun, there is no way the solar panels can generate energy. It is totally plausible that they might have a small chance to do stuff, but that's still a small chance. It has a lot of factors on it.

People can still attach a handcrafted circuit with a receiving and a transmitting antenna on a balloon, and set it off to the skies. You can use that as an signal amplifier, indeed, since an good enough engineer can make that in a question of hours.