Server time: 2017-08-21, 19:52

Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on Ghillie suits?

I have not played since forever ago. I think the last update they had the first vehicle was not even added yet. I was reading up about the .61 update and found out about craftable ghillie suits. What are your thoughts on the ghillie itself? As in do you think they are useful? Or are they worth taking the time to craft?

For pubs, ghillies are fucking awesome. Rp... Not so much... Unless you're playing overwatch for a group, they are more of a handicap than anything.

They are worth it if you always plan to be within 50m of your foes. They are horrible for snipers as grass stops loading in at about 75m. You stick out like a sore thumb after that . 

Yeah I read something about that, and how people in non RP servers like to lower their graphics or view distance in Arma 3 DayZ (not standalone obviously) to spot people more frequently. That would get annoying, and I just needed some opinions on if I should even waste my time with them. Because I know eventually I would get killed with it.

Edited by Grim Reaper

If I see a guy wear a full ghillie while just casually walking with his friends I find it a bit weird. Imo they should be used like the others said, when you want to stay hidden but still be in range of looking over a situation. While being with your friends and not doing your job, you can just have it in your backpack. This way you avoid hyperthermia aswell. 

13 minutes ago, Grim Reaper said:

Yeah I read something about that, and how people in non RP servers like to lower their graphics or view distance in Arma 3 DayZ (not standalone obviously) to spot people more frequently. That would get annoying, and I just needed some opinions on if I should even waste my time with them. Because I know eventually I would get killed with it.

It's obviously all up to yourself if you want to do it or not man, personally I have never bothered to make an entire ghillie suit for several reasons, one of them being that they aren't that good after 100+ meters and the other one being how long it would take me.

You probably wouldn't get very far before someone decided to take it from you either :P

If you have full ghilly try standing with your back to a bush and press sit down. Nobody will see you. Ever. I have sat like this in the middle of  Kabanino next to the road and people sit next to me, opposite me, walking past and I am completely hidden. Too bad the sensitivity is really low when you're sitting. 

Mexi    1035

The most I make when it comes to a Ghillie is the headpiece because at range you're always either behind something or in a tree and sitting in grass with a full one makes no sense. Atleast behind a wall or peaking a corner you have some sort of camo. RP wise I tend to just cut it short with those in Ghillies because they have no intentions sticking around for a conversation usually ends up being 'hey do you know where a well is?' and that'd be it.

Edited by Mexi

Public servers they are the shit, I love them. In my opinion it's kinda awkward wearing one in RP. Depending on what character it could work. 

If you wan't to be called a bushman sure. But otherwise I find them really weird in RP. Even though IMO people would do it in this scenario.

I haven't rped with a single person wearing a ghillie suit that wasn't awful. It's pretty much a universal sign of shitty rp.

Just need to make sure people keep ripping them up. 

6 minutes ago, Sasha said:

I haven't rped with a single person wearing a ghillie suit that wasn't awful. It's pretty much a universal sign of shitty rp.

Just need to make sure people keep ripping them up. 

"It fell apart." Good old Chedaki days with salt reports for destroying ghillies.

Edited by Tosh

Castiel    1124

I don't like them. They look ridiculous and only make sense if you're solely playing as overwatch for a group, which kind of defeats the purpose of being on a roleplay server.

On pubs, if you have the time and resources to craft them go nuts!

On RP then there's very few occurrences that ghillie suits don't make you look like a complete idiot. There was this one time that I bumped into a group who were supposed Cub Scouts and they dressed someone up in a ghillie and pretended that he was a bear. Fun times

Edited by Bran

It's an essential roleplaying item that I would never leave home without.

Shane    361

Like most people have said good on pubs not so much on RP but the grass doesn't render after 150m (could be less) or something like that I think so you kinda stick out like a sore thumb.

Edited by Smash Gordon

Zilly    52

I havent seen someone wearing a full ghille in a while, especially not in 0.60 cuz it was just so damn hot. I feel like, since 0.61 is alot colder, we might start seeing them more.

So far ive only seen a dude with just the head-piece on. Whenever I see someone like that I really just compliment them on their hair-style/wig and try to ignore the fact its a bundle of fish net and potato bag cuttings. 

Eagle    346

Ghilli suits can be a nice pice to Have if used correctly, but many fail to do so and run around acting like thers nothing strange about  having a bush suit out in the open.

/Moved to General 

Don't mind them, on Public servers. Unless you're a super soldier, there is no reason to have one in RP.

P.S. Ghillie suits have been in forever.

Edited by CrescentGent

10 minutes ago, CrescentGent said:

Don't mind them, on Public servers. Unless you're a super soldier, there is no reason to have one in RP.

I don't necessarily think they apply to super soldiers only, all though I will admit that's usually the kind of person that have them but I do see them useful for lone survivors as well, being better at hiding from dangers and what not. It's a stretch I know but y'know.

1 hour ago, CrescentGent said:

I have not played DayZ Standalone since before they released the first vehicle. I have not been active on steam in a year and half, and just made a new account to buy DayZ to play. So I am all new to these updates.

BOLDEdition    20
On 1/11/2017 at 1:31 PM, CrescentGent said:

Not sure I can agree that they serve no functional RP purpose; for example, my character is a former war photographer/journo who has been in-country since the outbreak. He often uses the ghillie head wrap as part of his toolset for getting in closer to his subjects and maintaining some level of concealment. When traveling he will often use it in heavily forested areas to also assist with concealment.  It has also been a solid RP conversation starter (when I forget to remove it and someone asks why I am wearing it). Those are a couple of legitimate examples; I am sure there are others that could enhance RP for both the player and whomever they encountered.

Ghillie suits are like Gas Masks: definitely valid RP material, but I'll be damned if the majority of players wearing them have any measure of intelligent IC justification for it.

Full ghillie suits only tell me one thing. "Hi I'm new to the server. I'm still treating this like pubs with no KOS."

nisbo    33

Ghillie suits are really cool and can be used for some great situations, but can also if overused be annoying and look stupid if multiple people are all wearing it