Server time: 2017-10-23, 15:23
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
MGGenao

Discussion for possible Conan Exiles Server

MGGenao    0

Hey everyone. So I don't know about most but I myself am a pretty big Conan fan (Jason Momoa film excluded) and coming off Age of Conan and now watching the development of Conan Exiles and the way the game is progressing, I am super excited for this game and an RP server to spring up around it. To me the game strikes me as Age of Conan (AoC) mixed with ARK and Life is Feudal. However if anyone knows anything about the Conan world, it is a very vast and rich world steeped with years and years and years of lore and history stemming all the way back to the early 1900's, in fact you could say that Robert E. Howard is one of the fathers of modern fantasy and definitely the Sword and Sorcery Genre, his works alone inspiring the Late great Frank Frazetta. Since Howard's untimely death, many other stories have branched out and been written in his Universe by other talented writers that carries on to this day. To see another game spring up out of this universe, has be hyped as all hell especially considering the scope the devs want to take it. Also mix in the pending sequel to the 1982 Conan the Barbarian film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

My rant aside, this is a thread meant to discuss the possibility of creating a project around this game, steeped in this brutal and gritty world with history deeper than most fantasy works still going today. 

Some links for your reading pleasure or if you're just interested in learning more about this universe:

Robert E. Howard Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Howard

Conan The Barbarian Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian

Hyborian Age Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyborian_Age

Conan Wikia:

http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Hyborian_Age

Hyborian RP knowledge site:

https://hyboria.xoth.net/history/hyborian_age.htm

1982 film Conan The Barbarian:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082198/

1984 Sequel Conan The Destroyer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087078/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

2011 Remake Conan The Barbarian

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816462/

Conan Exiles Official Site:

https://www.conanexiles.com/

Conan Exiles Dev Streams and map of Hyboria:

Conan Exiles Dev Stream on Character Creation:

Map of Hyboria (Note the similarities to RL Earth. That is because this universe is set in pre-history earth):

the_hyborian_age_by_sapiento-d8ocy6u.jpg

Edited by MGGenao

Rampage    0

Unfortunately all side projects die.   Dayz has always been the staple here.  While I do not know anything about the game, even if it was super awesome it would die.   Mistreated is by far a better game than dayz yet mistreated didn't last long.   

Thumper    0

One medieval game genre is enough. I dont see that much of a difference to have both Conan and LiF. 

MGGenao    0
8 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Unfortunately all side projects die.   Dayz has always been the staple here.  While I do not know anything about the game, even if it was super awesome it would die.   Mistreated is by far a better game than dayz yet mistreated didn't last long.   

Miscreated is essentially another Zombie/monster apocalyptic survival whether better or worse than DayZ, coming into a DayZRP community. It was a redundancy essentially and while opinions may differ on whether or not it was better or worse, even if it is a better game, its hope for success having to compete with DayZ were slim to none which is why the last Arma 3 projects failed and I suggested on the Desolation thread, removing Zombies altogether from the map.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

One medieval game genre is enough. I dont see that much of a difference to have both Conan and LiF. 

Because LiF is set on a much smaller map with no lore or history and for RPers its a much more limiting game in the sense we all look like generic copies of each other with what? Like 12 armor styles to choose from? This isn't even medieval as it's not steeped in strict medieval realism and centers on true fantasy. Hell the universe itself is the grand daddy of all fantasy genres today.

Edit: Also LiF is just a test game for the LiF devs real goal which is a LiF MMO

Edited by MGGenao

Thumper    0
4 minutes ago, MGGenao said:

Miscreated is essentially another Zombie/monster apocalyptic survival whether better or worse than DayZ, coming into a DayZRP community. It was a redundancy essentially and while opinions may differ on whether or not it was better or worse, even if it is a better game, its hope for success having to compete with DayZ were slim to none which is why the last Arma 3 projects failed and I suggested on the Desolation thread, removing Zombies altogether from the map.

Because LiF is set on a much smaller map with no lore or history and for RPers its a much more limiting game in the sense we all look like generic copies of each other with what? Like 12 armor styles to choose from? This isn't even medieval as it's not steeped in strict medieval realism and centers on true fantasy. Hell the universe itself is the grand daddy of all fantasy genres today.

I disagree. Tolkien's work is the grandfather of all fantasy worlds, but Conan is such a specific genre. Its only going to appeal to fans of the work.

Edited by Thumper

MGGenao    0
1 minute ago, Thumper said:

I disagree. Tolkien's work is the grandfathet of all fantasy worlds, but Conan is such a specific genre. Its only going to appeal to fans of the work.

I think you may be right on the time line but Howard's Works were definitely right there neck and neck with his and he was even a close friend to Lovecraft, some elements of Lovecrafts works can be found as easter eggs in the Conan Universe. 

IMO however, I disagree with your assessment that it will only appeal to fans of the Conan universe as it is in it's essence a gritty, dark and brutal Sword and Sorcery fantasy world. It has everything from Blood sacrifices to ancient and evil dark gods to sex and brutal viceral combat.

On the game itself:

the combat is going to be more responsive than even LiF where when you strike someone specifically, that spot is visually damaged, body AND armor

A core feature will also be dungeons in the world for people to explore together

Thumper    0

Im intrigued to say the least. I'll definately look more closely at the game when I get home.

Rampage    0

What separates this game from Ark, Rust, Reign of Kings or any other crafting game.   In order for crafting rp games to last you need a pvp element otherwise the game gets boring after you finish building.   And we all know how well that will play out. 

MGGenao    0
8 minutes ago, Rampage said:

What separates this game from Ark, Rust, Reign of Kings or any other crafting game.   In order for crafting rp games to last you need a pvp element otherwise the game gets boring after you finish building.   And we all know how well that will play out. 

The big feature I see it seperating is the combat mechanics they want for the end game. Also the ease in which settlements can be destroyed by either siege equipments, explosives or even the end game religious aspect. The thing I also see separating it is the universe, the lore and the map itself will feature lots of PVE content for players, like working together to complete a dungeon crawl where there is high end loot. This game seems to fuse traditional MMO elements in with Survival sandbox and crafting games.

Edit: @Rampage I might suggest going into the spoiler and watching the first video for a look at how building works. On another trailer, it showed them building against a cliff to the top so I think it's a little more open and free form, the crafting anyway.

Edited by MGGenao

Rampage    0

Yeah I watched the video.  It looks ok.   It's still in beginning stages and I just don't think there will be any interest in it. 

MGGenao    0
3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Yeah I watched the video.  It looks ok.   It's still in beginning stages and I just don't think there will be any interest in it. 

Don't get me wrong. I don't want this to be a thing until the game is at a reasonably stable level. I don't want have to go through the same pains LiF went through when animals were about as broken as that moon looked in that patch.

MGGenao    0

Digging through Conan Exiles RP enjinn site, I noticed something that gives me hope, I saw that the devs have actually joined the sight and been participating in the discussions the community has been having, hearing the voices of the RP side of things. This is something most devs don't do so I already have high hopes that to some extent this game will be made to be more RPer friendly

Thumper    0

Okay, so I watched videos when I got home, and so far, looks like Ark, but worse.

Alex    465

Nah honestly the fact that LiF has no lore/history makes it better for RP. It's relatively realistic, there's not boundaries on lore and what you can do with that, and it's received pretty well by the community. I think we stick with that and work on it, maybe if it fails we look at this. Although to be honest with the new whitelist/rules/lore going up with LiF I think we're gonna have it a while longer.

MGGenao    0
31 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Okay, so I watched videos when I got home, and so far, looks like Ark, but worse.

Out of curiosity in what way? To me the character creation already seems ahead of ARK and definitely for a fact ahead of LiF. Building crafting I will acknowledge looks very similar but i never found that to be the issue of Ark. Also consider this game is at pre-alpha which is before Early Access even.

MGGenao    0
28 minutes ago, Kevin said:

its called dayzrp

not side projectrp

it will die

From what I've seen, the community has shown a strong desire to branch out. LiF and Desolation all have proven this to the point each project heavily pulled from DayZ. Now that said, it seems many are not interested at this time taking this project up but if possible I would like a staff member to relocate this thread to a room more fitting so  people can visit it and see the information posted at their leisure and perhaps pursue this game on their own time. I also plan to regularly update with new videos or sources pertaining to the game or that may enhance people's roleplay if they choose to follow that play style where they may land.

Edited by MGGenao

Rolle    2979
1 hour ago, Uriki said:

That game looks fucking awful.

It's  a -1 from me.

Preach it. 

I saw their developer stream on Twitch, it looked horribad.

Roger    0
10 hours ago, Rampage said:

All people die, life isn't about waiting to die its about doing shit until you die. Even if this side project won't last forever, its still better to have side projects and enjoy them as opposed to being pessimistic about the whole thing.

Rampage    0
53 minutes ago, Roger said:

All people die, life isn't about waiting to die its about doing shit until you die. Even if this side project won't last forever, its still better to have side projects and enjoy them as opposed to being pessimistic about the whole thing.

Comparing philosophies about living life to offering side projects on DayZRP is blowing things a tad bit out of proportion.   Side projects die quickly and 3 out of the 5 we have offered has led to higher than normal levels of salt within the community.  At the end of the day it's my own opinion.  If Rolle want to make 20 side projects tomorrow then whatever.    Not going to lose any sleep over it. 

Edited by Rampage

Roger    0
10 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Comparing philosophies about living life to offering side projects on DayZRP is blowing things a tad bit out of proportion.   Side projects die quickly and 3 out of the 5 we have offered has led to higher than normal levels of salt within the community.  At the end of the day it's my own opinion.  If Rolle want to make 20 side projects tomorrow then whatever.    Not going to lose any sleep over it. 

The metaphor is for contrast and comparison, its not supposed to be taken literally. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if a "Side project" dies out. As long as people enjoy it for some amount of time then its a success. Its not about finding the next big thing, its about keeping people entertained and coming back to play games here.

Rampage    0
12 minutes ago, Roger said:

The metaphor is for contrast and comparison, its not supposed to be taken literally. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if a "Side project" dies out. As long as people enjoy it for some amount of time then its a success. Its not about finding the next big thing, its about keeping people entertained and coming back to play games here.

And that is perfectly fine if you find value in side projects.  I frankly don't given the history of them.  Regardless, my opinion has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Rolle will host another side project in the future as usually that is decided by him based on the wants and needs of the overall community.  So if 99% of the community wants to do a side project, I highly doubt he is going to reject it on the account of just my opinion.  

MGGenao    0
1 hour ago, Rampage said:

And that is perfectly fine if you find value in side projects.  I frankly don't given the history of them.  Regardless, my opinion has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Rolle will host another side project in the future as usually that is decided by him based on the wants and needs of the overall community.  So if 99% of the community wants to do a side project, I highly doubt he is going to reject it on the account of just my opinion.  

All I am going to say on the matter is calling them "SIDE" projects is why they fail. From the get go we place less value on them than DayZ this leads to less validity to the projects and from the get go a very pessimistic attitude. The only way for any project to succeed on this community is for it to be given an equal amount of attention as DayZ. Be it LiF, Exile, Desolation, or if opinion sways; Conan Exiles (CE). Every new game this community host needs to have its own rules, lore, and staff or team and whitelist. 

To the point of this thread, I am not here to say we should drop everything for CE my opinion is that I think it would be a better game for survival crafting than LiF but thats my opinion. I am by no means encouraging we abandon it even if I wouldn't mind it or if gun to my head I was made to pick one or the other. I personally will admit the game still has some polishing to be done before it is viable to be considered for this community to host. That said, I made this thread to discuss the game, the universe around it and to introduce people to it and the Conan universe. I wanted to discuss how it could work or why it couldn't.