Server time: 2017-08-16, 23:52

Sign in to follow this  
Joules

Building a New PC Guis!

Joules    226

So yeah as the title suggests, it's finally gotten to the point where I have to build a new PC. My current rig is totally falling apart by the minute, to where it's borderline... no it actually is unplayable. 

I'm about to come into a little bit of money which will allow for a budget of about 600-800 USD. My current set up for motherboard, CPU, and GPU as are as follows.

MSI A75MA-G55, AMD A8-3850 APU, and an amd radeon hd 6800 series.

What I've currently scoped out as possibilities are as follows in the same order.

MSI Z170A Gaming M7, i5 6600K, and a GeForce GTX 1060.

Personally, I'm not sure if this going to be overkill or not. I'd rather not have to spend my max budget on this, but I will if the alternatives won't be up to snuff. This is going to be the last time in a long while I actually have money to blow, so I figured it was time for an upgrade (haven't done it since 2012).

Essentially I'm looking for a rig that will actually play DayZ instead of... well you know, look like trash and even on the lowest settings only give me 10 FPS.

I'll give beanz to the person who helps me... and maybe a cookie. I draw the line past a cookie though.

Thankkksssss!

PS. If the parts I listed for the possibility aren't compatible I'm blaming the internet.

Edited by Joules

What all are you carrying over from your old PC?

Joules    226
1 hour ago, Tosh said:

What all are you carrying over from your old PC?

Planning on keeping the power supply, hard drives, tower, and ram unless I can keep the budget under 800. In which case then I'll buy ram first, then hard drives, then a new tower. I'm just hoping the tower is suitable. 

Pretty sure with any and all Skylake processors (the 6600k for example) you will need to upgrade your RAM to DDR4. So youll need to factor new ram into that budget. 

If you want to keep the RAM out of your build Id suggest getting an 1150 socket i5 such as the Devils Canyon (4690k) or the Haswell (4670k). Keep in mind youd also look at a new motherboard as well since the one you listed is 1151 socket like I said youll need an 1150. Also could I get the wattage of your Powersupply? 

With that being said the i5 quad core is what youll want since DayZ is incredibly processor heavy. The 1060 will allow you to play any other game so youll future proof yourself for years to come as well :)

2 hours ago, Riggsee said:

Pretty sure with any and all Skylake processors (the 6600k for example) you will need to upgrade your RAM to DDR4. So youll need to factor new ram into that budget. 

If you want to keep the RAM out of your build Id suggest getting an 1150 socket i5 such as the Devils Canyon (4690k) or the Haswell (4670k). Keep in mind youd also look at a new motherboard as well since the one you listed is 1151 socket like I said youll need an 1150. Also could I get the wattage of your Powersupply? 

With that being said the i5 quad core is what youll want since DayZ is incredibly processor heavy. The 1060 will allow you to play any other game so youll future proof yourself for years to come as well :)

Riggsee is right, you will need to get new ram if you opt for that socket (1151). On top of the power supply wattage, can you try and list the actual power supply? It may have enough wattage but be a law quality supply, which could cause problems with these new juicy components you plan on adding. Any part information you have would be useful, like the case for example. Checking dimensions etc to see if your GPU will fit. Tell you what, I am on TS from 4 - 12 PM GMT and will be more than willing to sit with you and try figure this all out. Shoot me a message when ever you see me, I would be more than happy to assist you.

Joules    226
20 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Riggsee is right, you will need to get new ram if you opt for that socket (1151). On top of the power supply wattage, can you try and list the actual power supply? It may have enough wattage but be a law quality supply, which could cause problems with these new juicy components you plan on adding. Any part information you have would be useful, like the case for example. Checking dimensions etc to see if your GPU will fit. Tell you what, I am on TS from 4 - 12 PM GMT and will be more than willing to sit with you and try figure this all out. Shoot me a message when ever you see me, I would be more than happy to assist you.

Sounds like a game plan! Yeah when I get done with my long 36 hour bus ride I'll take apart my PC and see what information I can get ya.

2 hours ago, Riggsee said:

Well damn. I was under the impression that most RAM was backwards compatible. *shrugs* At least RAM is relatively inexpensive. I might have to down grade either the 1060 or the motherboard to avoid going way over budget.  Again, I'll get more information on my current rig when I'm off the bus. Can't really rip a PC apart while on a greyhound right?

Just now, Joules said:

Sounds like a game plan! Yeah when I get done with my long 36 hour bus ride I'll take apart my PC and see what information I can get ya.

Well damn. I was under the impression that most RAM was backwards compatible. *shrugs* At least RAM is relatively inexpensive. I might have to down grade either the 1060 or the motherboard to avoid going way over budget.  Again, I'll get more information on my current rig when I'm off the bus. Can't really rip a PC apart while on a greyhound right?

Cool! You have fun on that bus ride, I am jealous. Anyway, give me a shout when you can. More than happy to help.

Joules    226
Just now, MapleMooses said:

Use https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ if you wanna make sure all your old/new parts will be compatible with each other. 

That is what I was using lol.

18 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Cool! You have fun on that bus ride, I am jealous. Anyway, give me a shout when you can. More than happy to help.

IDK why the hell you are jealous. It's cramped with terrible internet access. Thanks for the help everyone.