Server time: 2017-08-19, 10:58

Sign in to follow this  
StoneFace

Steam Metagaming

StoneFace    11

Just going to say I had an interesting encounter yesterday that got interrupted. It all seemed suspiciously coincidental that these men found us. I won't talk about it though since I came out on top of the situation. My thoughts though are if they weren't metagaming through ts, maybe steam messaging or texting each other, I honestly don't know. If this is a problem in the community please share any experience you may have with this, I would love some feedback. 

Metagaming is metagaming. People will always find new ways to do it. It's a bitch to get proof of it, though.

Eagle    343

If you suspect people of metagaming then the best way to deal with it would be to talk with the accused or put up a report, metagaming is something that will happen from time to time and is almost impossible to deal with unless a report or a discussion is had with the accused.

Elmo    902

People are going to gatecrash your RParty with metagamed information from time to time. Its happened to me before, it will happen to me again. All you can do is be careful and carry a big gun :) 

The worst thing about it is, even if you find out who did it, you have 0 way to prove it unless you have access to their chat logs. Any sane person wishing to avoid a ban won't give you their chat logs.

I remember one time in masquerade we moved a lady probably from kab down by the east coast on like a 45 min run and a whole crew of guys showed up lmao. So meta gaming will always happen.  It people can use any type of communication to meta game. Steam is a lot more convient tho for someone to do it. 

If you believe a rule was broken, report it. Otherwise....

34 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Metagaming is metagaming. People will always find new ways to do it. It's a bitch to get proof of it, though.

Pretty much this.

People will metagame, it's inevitable. So yeah there is a possibility that the people you took talked on TS or on steam, but almost impossible to prove.

Mercy    493

I think people need to stop being so afraid of losing gear. I feel as people seek for PVP a lot so they're bound to lose their gear anyway. However you never know what will happen when you are captured (though there are many ways of metagaming, I know).

Elmo    902
17 minutes ago, Hope said:

-snip-

I've found it to be less gear-centric and more the "I don't want to lose" mentality. People don't like to be on the losing end, so they get a one up on you despite it being a rule break.

Dr Willsky    153

In the end it boils down on how much you want to restrict yourself in information and how immersive you make it for yourself. This does have a huge impact on how you roleplay in the long run. 

Mercy    493
21 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I've found it to be less gear-centric and more the "I don't want to lose" mentality. People don't like to be on the losing end, so they get a one up on you despite it being a rule break.

Exactly what I meant :) 

APureGamer    55
Posted (edited)

Honestly. I know for a fact most community members have metagamed at least one time. Sometimes you will message someone about something IG and they will use it IC. That kinda sucks but does happen.

Also not calling anyone out BUT. We were torturing some dudes at lonely house for over 25 min and like 10 guys just came from the trees sprinting at us. It was clear metagame but cant prove it. 

Edited by APureGamer.

Elmo    902
31 minutes ago, Hope said:

Exactly what I meant :) 

I probably should've read your post before commenting tbh.

Worrying habit of mine.

Caesar    438

Unfortunately meta gaming is incredibly difficult to prove, regardless which medium (twitch, steam, team-speak etc.) is used.

Rose    141

People metagaming through my stream back when I used to stream ARK heavily are the very reason i stopped streaming any games like this. People are going to be dicks sometimes, and there will always be those who don't obey the rules and ruin things for others. If you have proof then for sure report though.

Edit: Its late and I am not wearing my glasses so i missread the title, but even still its sadly a thing people will do and especially with the way steam chatlogs work there is no way to really bust them for it or to fully enforce it.

When it comes to steam, there isn't really any way to counter metagaming, or prove that someone has metagamed.

You can still report, and see what happens tho.

Fenrir    42

Meta is meta, its like a constant that is impossible to end.

But it seems people tend not to report it since they have no definitive proof, which is a fair judgement to make since there's no need to waste staffs time with a DOA report.

But imo if the meta is egregious like 10 dudes full on sprinting directly to a house that they couldn't possibly know about, throw a report up. If it was metagaming then the chances of them tripping over each others POV's is pretty high because they will be lying.

(This happened to me/Haven in a grenade RDM report, their POVs conflicted proving they were lying)

If not the people in question provide context you are happy with and you have the report closed.

Shane    353
2 hours ago, Fenrir said:

(This happened to me/Haven in a grenade RDM report, their POVs conflicted proving they were lying)

Oh man that was a fun time.

I don't think there is a way around metagaming but some people are stupid sometimes when it comes down to it just call them out on it and listen to them crumble trying to make up a story or worst case scenario they explain the situation and you're wrong, no biggie. 

Edited by Smash Gordon

Charlie    118

Steam Metagaming is a form of cheating you can not really prove :( Sadly. I have experienced this before, also had several old people who I once played with attempted to do it with me over steam. But I do not really see the point in reporting it as if there is no evidence the verdict will always be not guilty.