Server time: 2017-10-22, 00:53
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Kyle_Jones

asking for ammo straight away.

Kyle_Jones    226

Hi all,

so recently ive been up north interracting with other people, and people always come up to me and the first thing they ask is "you got any spare ammo?" it really does my head in because ive just said hi to you and now your asking for ammo, IMO this is kinda gearrp, letting the priority of gear take over roleplay, i dont mind if late into the conversation you ask "hey you wouldnt happen to have any spare rounds would ya?' but not straight away, what do you guys think?

Mental    0

I always call it out. Something along the lines of "We just met, and you're asking me for shit? Are you fuckin' retarded?"

Charlo    0

Me and some of the renegades were going through kabanino and some guy literally walked up to every single one of us and asked for SKS ammo, it was so funny I left and changed outfit and came back only to see him asking others then turning to ask myself. It's not the best way to start an encounter, I wouldn't call it GearRP though. 

It's not gearRP. It's just that character interacting with you.

I don't give a fuck how you're doing, I just need what I need, and I'll be on my way. I don't need your entire backstory. 

If the person just robs you and takes the ammo and runs off then yeah, that's gearRP.

Hellspawnceri    533
Posted (edited)

Anyone who asks about ammo/items as soon as you meet them probably don't have much else to say. I find that people draw a blank when it comes to asking questions, so they just stick with the basics. Sadly once people like that find out you don't have what they want they will just move on.

Edited by Hellspawnceri

Grimnir    662

It's shit rp.

My reaction depends on my character.

My hostile character will probably say something like: "You can have a bullet, you want it in your stomache or between the eyes?". Most people who ask for ammo straight away are whitenames and therefore running around alone, so this is mostly enough to send them running off.

On my "nice" character I either say straight away that I have nearly no ammo at all or tell them where to find some aka sending them away in the nicest way possible so I wouldn't have to deal with them.

Also why the hell would you think that anyone would give you ammo in the apocalypse? If I give you ammo for example there is a high chance that you will use it against me or that I don't have it when I need it. We ain't the charity. ;)

Kyle_Jones    226
1 hour ago, Kevin said:

It's not gearRP. It's just that character interacting with you.

I don't give a fuck how you're doing, I just need what I need, and I'll be on my way. I don't need your entire backstory. 

If the person just robs you and takes the ammo and runs off then yeah, that's gearRP.

i think it is really cos your not trying to RP in any way, sure you may need it but nobody in their right mind opens a conversation with asking for ammo and its only to further improve your gear, not the RP.

Dustin1    4

Either IC or OOC, asking for gear immediately upon meeting some one is setting yourself as low class in my mind.

After all, with the number of bandit interactions daily IC, it doesn't seem like strangers are expected to be generous and friendly

5 minutes ago, Kyle_Jones said:

i think it is really cos your not trying to RP in any way, sure you may need it but nobody in their right mind opens a conversation with asking for ammo and its only to further improve your gear, not the RP.

Just an example:

My phone battery is low, and I notice that you have the same type of phone as I do. I confront you, and ask if you have a charger and if I can use it. It's just a stranger asking a stranger for a hand.

The phone example ain't far off from weapons. My sks is low on rounds, and I notice you have an AKM. I confront you, and ask if you have any spare rounds.

Asking about the ammo could very well be a conversation starter. Noticing things that you have in common with someone else, and trying to spark a conversation with them.

Sofie    0

Not the type of roleplay I prefer but the only thing you can do about it to change the subject and kinda punish them for it. Many people (like already mentioned in this thread) likes to call them out for asking a stranger for such valuable items before they even know if the person is safe to talk to. I normally play characters that don't go around remembering names on guns and ammo, so I just start talking around it, wondering what the ammo look like etc just to try and get more roleplay from the individual.

DarkPengu    62

Its a load of crap. I have know idea why people would say that right from the start. You need to act like its real life. like you are living in a apocalypse and IRL I dont think people would say that. So people who ask for ammo straight away are shit RP gear is a second objective RPing is the first objective. and in hostile situation pvp should be last resort!

Dusty    1587

It is not gear RP, and is not necessarily bad RP either. It can be difficult to come up with something interesting to say to every single person you meet while travelling. I don't start off interactions with "Do you have any 5.56?" but sometimes there's nothing else to talk about, or nothing interesting to say that will start or continue the conversation. 

Not every situation has to be a super in depth and amazing RP experience. Sometimes a simple "Hello" as you pass by someone is all that will happen. At least in this situation, there's more possibility for RP to happen besides saying hello and continuing on. 

3 minutes ago, AnicePenguin said:

Its a load of crap. I have know idea why people would say that right from the start. You need to act like its real life. like you are living in a apocalypse and IRL I dont think people would say that. So people who ask for ammo straight away are shit RP gear is a second objective RPing is the first objective. and in hostile situation pvp should be last resort!

I dunno, you wanna talk about realism? Not much about this game, or this community is realistic. It just can't be. We have rules, and limiting game mechanics. Have you walked through kab? Or any of the major towns and cities? It's just people standing around, acting like neighbors who live in the suburbs together. That, is a load of crap.

You wanna discuss realism... Yet you say pvp should be a last resort.... People shoot each other over a lot less today, not in any made up zombie apocalypse either. 

Castiel    1124

A stranger walking up to another stranger in the apocalypse and asking for spare ammo is nothing short of stupid in my opinion, just means they have nothing else to say to you other than talking about ammo or their weapon. When it happens to me I'll usually get hostile with them.

Xero3451    0
51 minutes ago, Kyle_Jones said:

if we're looking at it like that why would you walk up to someone in an apocalypse scenario for a chat anyway.  Besides the point it may be meh RP but I wouldn't call it gearp.

WilliAM    431

This happens to me all the time. In most cases I just say something like "what do I look like the welfare office" and walk away

InsaneCynda    3

I feel like that its just simply absurd for you to go 'HEY GUYS DO YOU HAVE SOME SPARE AMMO FOR MY MILITARY RIFLE?????????' in a zombie apocalypse, of which you could be robbed, tortured, raped or even executed for the most trivial, small thing. You can't just go around treating people like they're your neighbor next door, because, well, they aren't. They're some random guy you found during your travels or by a campfire. I understand if you want to initiate some RP but if you have to resort to going 'hey lets trade ammo', unless it makes sense IC and is within context then I think it would be best to just leave that person alone and try to spark RP with another person, or group. Usually though I'd just go no.

My problem with these encounters were never that severe. Happened once or twice, but still, it pissed me off.

Most of the times I'll just go at him with the classical: "Just so you can shoot me in the back, eh? Not if I shoot your first". Enough for most of them to get the hell away. But it's easier to have RP if you go with this: "So you want some of my ammo? Why should I give it to you? Who the hell even are you, mate?". This phrase has saved some of my own sanity when I was looking for RP inside The Triangle.

It's funny tho. I like how they are so desperate to get ammunition that they don't even venture themselves into the loot spots. They just go from player to player asking for it, because it "SHOULD" be easier, for some reason.