Server time (UTC): 2019-12-15, 14:17 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Cow

Rule 15 - Permanent Death Discussion

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Not very hard for staff to keep track of them, the logs are quite easily accessible, and to keep track of this, I feel like it wouldn't be hard for staff.

Some staff cant even follow the rules themselves, or explain simple mistakes to the masses and you want them to add keeping track of hundreds of characters on top of their current duties? 

*not a dig, just using it as justification for not adding additional duties to staff for any reason.

Edited by Thumper

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Some staff cant even follow the rules themselves, or explain simple mistakes to the masses and you want them to add keeping track of hundreds of characters on top of their current duties? 

*not a dig, just using it as justification for not adding additional duties to staff for any reason.

To be honest, I've never been staff, and I'm probably not going to be staff, it's just a suggestion, but at the same time it'd be easy for the people that are experiencing this to keep track on their own tbh.

On a good week I rob and kill tens of characters....no thank you.

Just now, Thumper said:

You wouldn't be the one keeping track, the ones that you do it to would, if they actually care about the fact of what you've done to them.

I'll do it pass the keys here.

After reading it a few times I finally get the jist of what exactly rule 15 is trying to explain... 

I really like this idea. People go around doing bad shit all the fucking time, knowing that they can keep doing it without receiving consequences... If you were really going around torturing, robbing, and murdering people, you are eventually going to get yourself killed... That's how it's supposed to be, but DayZRP wants people to be able to have freedom to do as they wish, however this ruins a lot of immersion for at least half of the community. It makes literally zero sense for all of these people to be absolutely fearless, and the only reason why that's the case is because they are theoretically hiding behind the rules, which so many of them have complained about regarding the frequent hostages. It's pretty hypocritical when you look at it in this perspective. 

For example, if a specific bandit group constantly takes me hostage, and eventually I get the upperhand to take one of them hostage... According to the current rules, I can just execute them. What's really the point in this? They get to come back, remember that I took them... Now it creates an endless cycle of capturing, and the RP literally leads no where. It's fucking boring, and it's honestly a waste of everyone's time. If this rule gets in place, and I actually go out of my way to create a situation where I get the upperhand, I now can be rewarded for my efforts by killing one of the men/women who took me hostage so many times. 

9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Might be time to pick and choose.

I still think a time limit is dumb.   It leaves it up for abuse.   Why don't we make the rule simple and add if needed.   

3 minutes ago, Coreena said:

-snip-

That is the general idea behind the rule and currently I am feeling a little overwhelmed so things need to be simplified where possible but I doubt I can avoid making it long winded since all bases need to be covered.

I'm just waiting on my chicken strips and people to come back and help me process this so I can hopefully get the best version of this rule possible out.

I think simplicity is the key to success here. Nobody will keep track of points, its too much work for a video game and there's too much to memorise for your average PnP gamer.

I think it'd be easy for people to keep track of their own points... we're going to have to keep track of what people have done to us anyways, the point system just makes sure that robbery isn't treated the same as torture, although I can see multiple ways of going about that.

I think the point system should be made official, people keep track of their own points and evidence showing that those events occurred (a simple screenshot would be fine for most situations). If they don't have evidence for the event, then they don't get the point on another person. Makes it more viable for people who are the robbers to still rob, but do it more carefully and RP more.

I do not think its a good idea to let the rules decide whether my character lives or dies, after all I created and nourished that character from day 1. I filled him with memories, friends, experiences and all other things. The only person deciding on whether he dies is me and not some silly rule on dayzrp.

Whats next,  a rule abolishing all violence on the server and forcing the community to sit at campfires singing lullabies while watching reruns of the Sound of Music?

1 minute ago, DanielsTV said:

-snip-

I like the idea, truly I do, its a clever idea but the majority of people, I feel, would not go along with it simply because keeping track of the twenty different people who wronged you in one day is too much effort. The majority of people here come for the RP and PvP, shoving an over-complicated rule in their face is a slight turn-off.

I think having mandatory character pages/staff approval is a step in the right direction. When we all filled out the whitelist application we all had to write a backstory (500 words I believe) this isn’t something that would take you a great deal of time to write up and it would probably help improve RP. I don’t know about others but I’ve definitely had a few encounters of people making their backstories up on the spot which haven’t been properly thought out because it either doesn’t go with the lore or just doesn’t sound realistic in the slightest such as: (real backstories people have told me IC)

--> ‘I was once a soldier plus a politician and then an assassin.’

--> ‘I am only 16 and snuck on a UN helicopter to get over here’

--> ‘I am the sole survivor of a heli crash and survived the hoard drawn to the crash with nothing but a can opener.’

I would hope with having the mandatory character pages some people might just put in that bit more extra effort into their characters.

One thing I do want to ask though. If a rule like this is put through should it only take in effect after a lore wipe?

5 minutes ago, Wendsill said:

I do not think its a good idea to let the rules decide whether my character lives or dies, after all I created and nourished that character from day 1. I filled him with memories, friends, experiences and all other things. The only person deciding on whether he dies is me and not some silly rule on dayzrp.

Whats next,  a rule abolishing all violence on the server and forcing the community to sit at campfires singing lullabies while watching reruns of the Sound of Music?

Your actions would determine whether or not you ended being permadeath'd really.  Don't want your character to get iced?  Don't mindlessly initiate on people or be overly hostile and you'll be alright.  Even with the rule in place (if it becomes a rule) it all falls down to the player if they fall within the category.

One thing I do want to ask though. If a rule like this is put through should it only take in effect after a lore wipe?

Personally I believe so, but only if the wipe comes with .62 and not the beta patch, otherwise there really isn't a point to drafting a rule that wouldn't even be applied for 5-8 months, would there?

Edited by Cid

3 hours ago, Stradic said:

I'd say if we were gonna have a lore wipe soon, then wait until then to put it in. I don't think a lore wipe is coming, a lot of people think it will fix RP (to an extent) and want it, but it seems like the staff really don't want to do it, partly because they feel as if popularity might die, and partly the workload of redoing everything will be high. It might happen, and I definitely want it to, but I don't think its certain. What I do think is that a perma rule will be put in place, and I think that one, especially @Cow's, needs to be put in place, regardless of lore wipe. I think the two going hand in hand would be miraculous and the pair would do a lot of good for actual RP, but we 100% need a perma rule, regardless of a lore wipe or not. 

By the way, I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees and its not in the current rule that anything will carry over before the perma. If someone has tortured you before a perma rule, you don't gain the rights. It would be chaotic if that happened. So, postponing a perma rule for a lore wipe that isn't going to  happen in the near future is a mistake.

17 minutes ago, DanielsTV said:

-snip-

I won't comment on this particular subject after this post cause i don't want to derail the thread but it seems that the LM are up to the task of a lore wipe.

Personally, if a rule like this would to come into effect I'd like to see it happen after a lore wipe.

2 minutes ago, Stradic said:

-snip-

Why? Forgive me if I seem blunt, but it seems utterly pointless to draft a rule then not implement it ASAP.

It should be implemented immediately.  

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

It should be implemented immediately.  

Agreed. If the Admins like the rule I see no reason to wait for a lore wipe or a new patch. Now is as good a time as ever.

13 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Why? Forgive me if I seem blunt, but it seems utterly pointless to draft a rule then not implement it ASAP.

I suppose my reason behind it is that some people might have a long standing history with a certain individual/group. Will they then be required to just ignore all previous hostilities done by them and start going off the hostile acts that take place after this rule gets put into place?

Just now, Stradic said:

I suppose my reason behind it is that some people might have a long standing history with a certain individual/group. Will they then be required to just ignore all previous hostilities done by them and start going off the hostile acts that take place after this rule gets put into place?

You bring up a fair point but if the groups have long-standing hostilities and they resume them, the rule should take care of that.

Could there be some sort of poll put up? With the amount of replies to this thread it seems like it would be the best course of action. 

I believe a poll was already requested and I do believe that there will be a poll taken.

12 minutes ago, Elmo said:

You bring up a fair point but if the groups have long-standing hostilities and they resume them, the rule should take care of that.

13 minutes ago, Stradic said:

No. Previous encounters prior to the rule will not count.