Server time: 2019-02-23, 22:08 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Dora

Forcing New Players to Read Rules before they apply

Aight so here's the concept

When new players register and go to fill out their whitelist application, the rules page will come up. It will stay up for a little while with a count down timer of X amount of time. Once the time is up, they're allowed to proceed to the whitelist application. This'll help through the rules in to new player's faces and read the rules instead of filling out the whitelist without reading all of them and failing. Maybe play some lit music in the background or something.

There's still a chance they won't even bother reading them and wait out the timer, so we won't worry about that group of people. They fail, they fail. We'll only worry about the ones who take their time reading through everything. There can be a disclaimer such as "I agree that I have read the server rules. I am ready to proceed to my  whitelist application" or something like that.. just help get them prepared before they goof. The disclaimer will also help when dealing with an extra attempt at the whitelist ban appeals.

BUT WHY CAN'T THEY JUST READ THE SERVER RULES WHILE THEY DO THE APP

They will and still can, but usually for seemingly easy questions, people will just put what they think it is instead of reading the rules.

I THINK THIS IS GOING TO BE TOO MUCH WORK FOR  ROLLE

Press the little X button in the top right corner. thx

Here's a picture of a dog to juice up the thread a bit

2ce88427e4.jpg

inb4 roasted by Coreena <3

Nah. If they want to join the community they will read the rules, I'd rather not shove them in their faces and force them.

or they can just fail the whitelist which proves they don't know the rules, and if they want to join they will read the rules, as Cas said.

I don't see a problem with how the system currently works.

Waste of time for applicants if they want to be In this community and pass the white list stage they have to read the rules they'll read them anyway or fail. 

This would not make people read the rules if they were never gonna do it originally,  they would just idle the timer and place it up when the timer ends.

Isn't the passphrase in place for this reason? To force players to.read the rules during the whitelist? But, I dont see a reason a timer on the page would be a bad idea. Can it be placed on there for all members before we can log into the game or.forms? Cause we have alot of people with colored names  that are still clueless? 

I don't like popups... Don't really see it as a needed feature. Maybe just have a something coming up when they try to save their whitelisting, asking if they are sure and what the outcome will be if they fail. Unless this is already a feature.

I'm a firm believer that this is a mature community, and if you aren't mature enough to rehearse yourself with the rules to prevent infractions and grievances during RolePlay, that you simply don't belong here.

There are multiple occasions one might be able to familiarize themselves with the community and server rules, such as:

• During the Whitelist, while waiting to be accepted or whilst you're filling it out to submit it.
  • If you're bored and have absolutely nothing to do.
  • Banned for whatever reason, go back and look at the rules.

Sure, there are certain situations where people are banned for grey-area things, but these are case-by-case basis and will be handled accordingly, when they arise.

In the end, I'm going to restate that if someone isn't responsible enough to read and be aware of the rules on their own, they're better off elsewhere. We shouldn't have to hold someones hand and force them to be rehearsed with the rules.

I support this. You can easily control f or use common sense to cheese the whitelist rather than doing it properly. And I see too many people who seem to have never read the rules at all whitelisted.

I'm thinking about all the old members to read the updated rules. Sometimes it feels like the old timers are not aware of the rule changes. 

That's exactly what we have the passphrase for, to force people to read the rules. I think it works OK.

Also those JavaScript timers are quite ineffective as they can be very easily circumvented.

@Rolle I think the problem is the yes or no questions, people just look up the specific answers in the particular section.  

Dont get me started on the passphrase...70% of people i talk to find it legitimately. The rest use 1 of a few methods with which i shall not discuss on the forums. It equated to them not reading the rules to find it however. 

Is there an easy fix? Id say that no there isnt unless we move away from multiple choice and go back to actually answering questions.

Edited by SweetJoe

Kinda proven when a recent ban appeal, a guy admits to just copy & pasting trying to find answers... something's wrong here.

4 hours ago, Isaiah Cortez said:

I'm thinking about all the old members to read the updated rules. Sometimes it feels like the old timers are not aware of the rule changes. 

Your not wrong.

The new changes destroyed the NLR rule.

I think anyone who actually gives a crap about the community would fully read and understand the rules. I often find myself going back and re-reading the rules to make sure I understand what they mean. Not only that, other more "veteran" players have been very kind and helpful when I ask 'noobish' questions regarding rules or situations.

I know that mistakes will happen in and out of game, we're human after all. But if you blatantly and repetitively break the rules of the community you should face the consequences. It's not the community's responsibility to force reading the rules down new members throats. It's up to the new members to understand that, "You must follow and understand these or leave".

I don't see a reason for this. The passphrase serves this purpose to a certain extent, unless they circumvent it in some way (which is punishable). If they care about the community and the rules they will study the them past that, if it's necessary. The whitelist is effective the majority of the time. There's no reason to add this function to a simple minority who would probably spend more time trying to cheat the system anyways. 

The white-list itself is essentially the staff team "forcing" newbies to read the rules. That's the whole point... If you can't understand the common sense of our rules nor take the time to read it and answer our questions, you do not belong here. So what would be the point in trying to "force" them to read it for x amount of time if they didn't wanna take the time to do it for the white-list and instead just wing it? 

5 hours ago, Isaiah Cortez said:

This is an amazing idea! I recently made a thread explaining all of the updated rules, but no one really paid any attention to it. 

However today, when someone mentioned something about remembering everything after your death in one of the channels I was in, someone responded with, "What?!" So evidently the some of the old players are definitely not up to speed on the updates.

Edited by Coreena

tbh I never read the rules, the whitelist is fuckin ez.

And if you made me wait a timer, just to fill it out, I'd be pissed.

Edited by Kevin

Theoretically if it pops up with a timer then said person could just leave the page open until the timer drains. I can see a whole load of issues with this being put into place. You want people to join, not make it a chore for them to join. You make it take too long and people will just have the attitude of "fuck this" and they will go elsewhere.

-1 to this idea for me.

Not gonna lie , most of the questions you can just control + F and then find the answer pretty easely. If staff find a way of formulating their questions or changing the way where control + F get useless then they'd be forced to read the rules

I find this really unfair for those who read the rules BEFORE they want to whitelist, then go to the whitelist page only to find the same set of rules popping up. People should read the rules carefully in the time THEY need for that, find the passphrase and then answer the questions if they feel like they have understood the rules.

I don't know if this is already the case, but I think every time someone fails the whitelist, he sould have to enter a new passphrase.

we should just go back to the classic 3 attempts. If you take more than three attempts to understand the rules and have a proper backstory according to lore... Then you must be a big dumb salad. 5 tries? Basically 6 with an appeal? come on...

No, this isn't needed at all.

For one, new members are already forced to read through the rules and such to actually find the passphrase to proceed, thats the whole purpose of the passphrase. Secondly if they aren't already reading the rules in the first place, then a timer isn't going to suddenly inspire them to do so. Thirdly, people are always freaking out over not being able to find the passphrase anyways, or that they already read the rules "thirteen times" or something and they give up, so again, a timer just seems pointless. 

1 hour ago, Chief said:

we should just go back to the classic 3 attempts. If you take more than three attempts to understand the rules and have a proper backstory according to lore... Then you must be a big dumb salad. 5 tries? Basically 6 with an appeal? come on...

Rolle evidently wants more people in the community xD.