Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dylan Reynolds

Nomad The Dylan Black Full Backstory

Guest Dylan Reynolds

"Nomad"

The Complete Backstory of Dylan Black

Chapter One: The Archer

I. Conception

Dylan James Black was born on January 25, 1995 in Indianapolis, Indiana, only child to Ken Black and Marla Louis-Black. Ken worked at the local manufacturing factory while Marla worked as a waitress at a local dinner at night and a online service representative during the day. Ken and Marla met all the way back in Middle School as Ken moved into the area with his parents and 3 older brothers. Ken's competitive edge in sports but caring personality and willingness to help in extra-curricular activities was what drew her to him.
As they grew into the later years of High School with hopes and dreams of moving out together, getting married, and starting a family came to a blow when Ken was offered the opportunity for a full ride to University on his baseball scholarships. But accepting would lead Ken to be forced to move half way across the country and no longer be with Marla, after spending the last few months of senior year going back and forth with deciding Ken picked up his phone and called Marla.

"Hey sweetie" he said in a hushed tone, "How were your classes today? Everything go fine with your science report?" he asked. Sitting in silence for a few seconds Marla sighed "Yeah, it was fine." Ken able to tell from her tone of voice in concern asked "Princess, what is wrong? Did something happen today?". Ken listening as you could faintly hear Marla holding back tears "I don't want you to go, we had so many dreams and plans. But I don't want to be selfish because this could be your opportunity to hit the big leagues." she sniffles and pauses before stating "I love you so much, and I'm not ready to lose you". Ken begins calming her and smiles holding the phone to his ear "Well you don't have to, because i'm not going. I declined the offer, and I've been looking and after we graduate I found an apartment we can move into" Marla gasps at the news and and breathes in a sigh of relief "Do...do you really want to move in an apartment with me? And give up your dream?" she asked. Ken with a chuckle "My dream is to spend every day of the rest of my life with you, I am ready to do this with you" he says.

As they graduated they did indeed move into that apartment, lived together for many months before receiving news that they were expecting a child. Unfortunately after only a few months they suffered a miscarriage and it absolutely tore them to pieces. In grief they each turned to find things that could help them cope. For Marla, that was charity work. For Ken, it was competitive archery. As a young boy he would go hunting with his father using compound bows so he had experience over the years he would spend a lot of his free time perfecting the art, and winning multiple state and national competitions. It came until May of 1994 when they received news that they would be expecting a child, a boy who they would later name Dylan James Black.

Around the time of Dylan's conception Marla and Ken had started to struggle for money and so with a child on the way Ken began looking for a second job to go alongside training archery courses. After many failed attempts Marla took it up and got herself a second job working as a waitress. Ken leaving in the mornings for his factory job, coming home for the night at nearly midnight after teaching his archery courses. Marla working as a online customer service rep, and waitress for extra tips at night was the norm for Dylan's early life.
After being born Dylan was constantly with his mother during the days and grandfather at nights until Ken would pick him up, as a young boy when he'd be put to bed he'd ask his grandfather or Ken to read him a bed time story. With his grandfather it'd be excerpts out of the Bible, but with Dad it was Robin Hood. As a young child the idea of a man in green with bow and arrow, taking back from the rich and helping the poor blew his little mind. Growing up around his father and archery he looked at his father as his role model, his Robin Hood. He was strong, dedicated, and willing to help those in need.

II. Childhood

Through Dylan's infancy his father had to choose to put away his bow, in order to take up a second job and more hours at his main job to compensate for Marla being unable to work. This obviously was hard for Ken, as that was his love, his passion, he looked at his bow as he put it back into it's protector case thinking he would never get to see or use it again. That was until Dylan started to take an interest in Archery. At the age of 5 Ken started to show Dylan the basics of archery and with his interest in it, started enrolling him in competitions for his age group. Starting out Dylan as you'd expect was a rough shot, but his father couldn't be more proud. One of his fondest memories being of his dad bringing him to the local hunting store and buying him his first bow, explaining the inner workings of it and hooking Dylan in on a hobby for life.

As he grew older he improved, began winning county, and state-wide competitions. Learning new skills including how to create both a bow and arrows from simple resources, and climbing the ranks in the local archery ranks. As he got into his pre-teens he had already competed for national competitions and won once, and would return 2 more times through his teenage years. At the age of 18 he was invited to participate in a global competition which was being hosted in South Zagoria with information coming soon. Dylan of course was encouraged by his parents to participate and news was released the competition would be hosted in the country of Chernarus. After the 6 month period waiting for the event the Black family boarded a flight to South Zagoria. During the competition Dylan ended up finishing 4th overall and was very proud of what he accomplished, unfortunately after the event they weren't allowed to leave due to news of an infection that was taking South Zagoria by storm.

III. Outbreak

During the initial outbreak the Black family quickly was evacuated to a newly setup Cherrussian Defense Force camp, with the instruction that the CDF had a plane on the way to evacuate survivors back to America, unfortunately as the hours grew longer the plane never entered Chernarus airspace. Being seemingly stuck in Chernarus Ken and other survivors began trying to help the CDF forces, trying to help with any food they had to ration and any guns they could use to help keep the infected away. But one night a crack in the perimeter seemingly caught the eye of an infected. Walking through a space no one guarded, and walking straight where the families of survivors stayed. That night...that infected walked into Dylan's tent and all he heard was his mothers scream as he woke up to Ken grabbing him and taking him out of the tent yelling "GUARDS! GUARDS AN INFECTED HAS GOT MY WIFE...PLEASE HELP PLEASE SAVE HER" Dylan looking back to see 3 guards running into the tent, seeing the tent light up with a flash from the gunfire. The infected was dead, but one bullet was shot immediately after, to others it may have sounded almost with the others, but to Dylan it felt like it was hours later, seeing the tent flash knowing the guard had to put his mother out of her misery from the attack. 

As months passed Ken went up the ranks in the camp, going from a simple survivor, to working on the front lines cleaning out infected, going on missions to scavenge for supplies for the camp. Dylan hanging out with some of the other teenagers saw his dad walk up to him and say "Go pack your things, there's another CDF camp North East of us that we're moving to. There will be more kids, more families, but also more supplies, go get ready." As the camp was packed up throughout the day before sundown the group started moving towards the camp, as a few hours passed they were walking along the coast and suddenly come face to face with a horde of infected. The front line started shooting trying to defend, until things went haywire. Suddenly men were dropping like flies, not from infected, but gunshots raining from a nearby treeline. Ken protecting Dylan ran him inside of a nearby shed, taking off his backpack with supplies, and telling Dylan to stay put. As Ken went out the door hearing gunfire, and screams of infected. Dylan trying to muffle the noise putting his hands to his ears until he eventually fell asleep.

A few hours later Dylan woke up to no gunfire, no screaming, just silence. It was becoming morning, as Dylan putting the backpack on his shoulder creaked the shed door open slightly to take a look outside, seeing no one. Dylan coming out eventually started looking around, checking the bodies of the soldiers, and infected to see if one was his father but none of them did. Dylan spent an hour going up and down the road yelling for his father, begging his father to come back, and eventually ran off into the woods.

Dylan spent almost 8 months alone, no human contact, sleeping in abandoned cars, scavenging empty homes and stores trying to find supplies to keep him alive. Using the skills his father had taught him of how to hunt, scavenge, and navigate trying to make it another day. Eventually Dylan came across a survivor, two of them to be exact. That was the day, everything changed for him. Dylan seeing a man shooting another in the leg, walking up to the man and shooting him in the head. Dylan watched a man be murdered, abandoning all logic and care for his own safety ran at the man with his bow drawn screaming and yelling at the man, the man complying trying to talk Dylan down until Dylan snapped and let go of the arrow. The arrow went straight through the man's right eye socket, killing him instantly. Dylan dropped to his knees crying trying to tell himself it was okay, that he did it for the right reason, that he would've done it to Dylan as well. Dylan checked both men's clothing and backpacks for supplies and went on his way.

IV. The Archer

The summer of 2016 was one that saw constant questioning of Dylan's morals, taking up the moniker "The Archer" saving other survivors from bandit groups, doing the best he could to help those in need. Traveling all over Chernarus just trying to save as many people as he could, dawning a green face mask, a green M65 jacket, hunter's vest, green hunting pants, a white armband and combat boots to conceal his identity. One day as he was watching over a group of survivors in the tree's Stary Sobor, Dylan suddenly heard a voice yelling "Put down any weapons and we won't have to gut you" as Dylan laid down his bow raising his hands to the back of his head. "I don't want any trouble, i'm just trying to help." Dylan suddenly was knocked unconscious by the group.

As he woke up, he was awoken to a group of men all wearing white armbands similar to him with guns to his face. "Who are you? Why do you wear our colors?" a man says, Dylan still waking up but looking around as his surroundings "I wear it to show I am good, I mean no harm." The men look at one another before looking back at Dylan "You do not wear it for that, you wear it because white is the dominant race" another man says. Dylan looking around in shock trying put together what the men just said to him, before looking at them "What do you mean? Race? What does that have to do with anything?" Dylan says looking puzzled. As the conversation went on Dylan quickly came to realize he has found a group of white supremacist, who demanded Dylan take off his armband. When he did not he was shot in the foot by one of the men, dropping to the ground. Quickly things became heavy as the men started breaking multiple of Dylan's fingers, torturing him. Eventually all of them started beating him down, Dylan trying to defend himself but being overwhelmed as he was knocked unconscious.

Dylan was awoken by feeling a sharp burn on his neck as he jumped up screaming in pain from the burn and then from standing on his leg with an open wound. Dylan fell on the ground gasping for air, bleeding almost everywhere, the men began saying a hymn before spitting on Dylan and calling him a "Race Traitor" (which they burned RT onto his neck). The group started to leave as Dylan was crawling trying to get away before hearing something be thrown on the floor, looking back to see his bow which his father passed down to him had been broken in half and thrown on the floor. After the group left, Dylan tried his best to get up, trying to walk but falling multiple times.  Once he got out of the compound Dylan started walking in a random direction bleeding, trying to walk on his leg and with pain all over his body. Suddenly he saw a man, walking away from him. Dylan tried to shout but fell over, trying to keep going he yelled and started crawling towards the man who had turned and started running towards Dylan. At this point Dylan was falling in and out of consciousness, but was awake enough to see the man check Dylan's pockets and run away. Eventually Dylan was able to get himself into a house, with medical supplies and did his best to pull the bullet out of his leg, trying to stop all the bleeding and survive once again, but this time he wasn't the same man. He saw what humanity had done, what they deserved. 

When he would help people, save them from infected, give them food or supplies hardly anyone said thank you, or tried to repay him. Dylan knew that there were only psychopaths, murderers, and cowards left in this world. He tried so much to save the world from itself, but no more. No more would he take up the mantle of "The Archer", no longer would he put his neck out to save others. The darkness of this new world order had consumed his soul, it cut out all the hope left in his heart, and chewed up the young boys passion to help others. It spit out a almost unrecognizable being, he had no home, he had no friends or family, he had no name....he is simply Nomad.

Chapter Two: Nomad

I. Survival

As December rolled around, Chernarus revealed it's cold, heartless face to the world once again. Just like it had two years before, but this time was different. Dylan still recovering from his leg injury, his fingers somewhat usable.  The RT being hidden by his mask, Dylan sat in the middle of the woods stiring a fire trying to keep warm. Beginning to see hear screams in the crackles of the fire, seeing hallucinations of all the people he lost. Something that had became common, since his attack. He saw his grandparents who he had lost earlier in his life, his best friend who he'd never see again, his father, and then he saw his mother. Dylan looked intensely at the fire before screaming and kicking dirt onto the fire barely putting it out. Grabbing his bag and starting to move away, Dylan was walking into the forest watching around him, for any movement, until suddenly he turned to see his mother again, walking towards him. Dylan getting up and walking away knowing it was apart of his imagination, he walked for a few minuets before hearing a noise, a deer. Dylan grabbing out his bow, which he had made out of stick and rope and going towards the noise. He walked hearing the deer call for 10-15 minuets maybe, then suddenly he spotted it. Simply eating the grass, Dylan moving closer to compensate for his makeshift bow. Dylan stopped drawing the bow and took a deep breath in. Suddenly an arrow shoots right past him, as he turns around to see his father and...and him, but it wasn't him, it was Dylan as a child. Dylan laid against the tree just looking in confusion as his father and the child walked towards the deer. 

"Now Dylan, do you see what I did there? We had maybe 10-15 chances to shoot at him, but we didn't. Do you know why?" Ken said looking down to a young Dylan. "No Dad, why?" Dylan says looking up to his father who at the time was clean shaved, just like Dylan grew up with. "Because patience, in order to be the best huntsman you can you must have patience. You can't just shoot willy nilly, nature runs it's course. When the time is right, you will know when to take a shot. Now let's go get our prize." Dylan watches as they walk towards the deer before it and them disappear almost in the air. Dylan regaining his composure and getting up on his feet before he hears a voice, his own voice. "You know, you don't have to do this. Go through this alone, stop helping people, who you are right now, I don't even recognize you. This isn't what Mom and Dad would've wanted you to become" as Dylan turns around to see himself, in his "Archer" gear. "Shut up, you aren't even real." Dylan says as he starts to walk away. "It doesn't matter if i'm real, you were helping people Dylan. You are a light in the world for others, you can't just throw it all away. Because if you do that, you are throwing everything that made you who you are away. Dylan you are The Archer" he says until he is cut off by Dylan who turns around quickly shooting an arrow through the imaginary Dylan, who vanishes into thin air. "I'm not Dylan anymore, Dylan, The Archer? They were both weak, they couldn't get the job done, they couldn't survive, they DIED. I SURVIVED." He yells as he retrieves the arrow out of the tree, and begins walking away.

Over the next few days Dylan underwent changes that pushed his morals down and continued to turn him into a completely different man, having killed 3 men in cold blood for simple items, having sleep deprivation, and more hallucinations driving him mentally to the brink of insanity. Dylan no longer found camps, or tried to seek out survivors. He simply moved, every morning he would wake up, eat, look for supplies, then search for a place to stay overnight. He witnessed multiple robberies, murders, and simply walked away. He no longer wanted to help, because The Archer didn't turn his back on Chernarus...Chernarus turned it's back on the Archer.

II. Scavenger

As the sun began to rise, Dylan who had been spending some time sleeping in some abandoned cars he found alongside the North West highway going out of the country. He slept in the back of a beatup van, rusted from the overexposure to the elements, and was surely not going to start. Before going to bed Dylan had searched the tents of this abandoned survivor camp looking from supplies, in which he found a nice new jacket to warm him from the coldness of the winter, and a gun an AK based riffle with some ammo in the mag. After a rough nights sleep Dylan awoke in the morning, started a fire and cooked some of the meat he had harvested from Chickens earlier in the morning. After getting his stomac full, he grabbed his supplies and started heading East on the highway. As he walked he pulled out his map, an old map with holes and burns around the edges. He see's there is a CDF base stationed beside the town of Тисы (Tisy). Throughout the day he'd stop to loot some things here and there, get drinks from the ponds but kept going to try to make it to the base before sundown.

As he arrived he looted the tents and quickly started to go towards the nearby trees as a group 4 survivors passed by to check the tent for what little Dylan left, he then went to check the buildings, finding some supplies here and there uncluding a large tent. Dylan not having any real shelter to protect him from the weather on his travels took the tent, and set it in the nearby forest digging a small hole with his hands to force the tent into to disguise it. He then returned to see that same group had found 2 tents and had them laying on the ground, Dylan only looking out for himself wanted those so they couldn't have them. He sneaked up, as the group was scrambling around what was left of the barrack buildings, getting behind a shipping container. Luckily one was unlocked, as he entered the container and creeked the other side open to watch. He was two men coming out of the mess hall, the others I hear moving things in other barracks. I look down to see the tents on the ground, and I slowly watch the two walk past as I quickly open the door and grab the bags and pull them in the container with me. I put one on my back alongside my backpack, and carry the other in my hand and start walking towards the one I had hidden earlier. As I walk through the woods I hear gunshots in the decent, I smile imagining their reaction to the tents being gone.

III. Descent

The cold unforgiving weather of the Chernarus winter was in full force, unbeknownst to survivors how truly close we were to Christmas Eve, as the cold nights grew colder, Dylan found himself deciding to stick in one place with his tents. The last few days he has been on loot runs, having plenty of ammo for his AKM which he laid right beside him as he slept. He also looted close northern towns like looking for medical supplies in which he could safely say he had enough supplies to hold out for the winter. As he slept this night, it wasn't different. No nightmares, none of the hallucinations that had haunted his mind for months now. He worked hard that day, since before the sun even came up he was on the road looking for more supplies, to make sure he had plenty to survive this cold winter. He was dreaming, not of the horrors of his past or this new world, but of his life, his family, the happiness he shared through his upbringing. Remembering how his family used to always gather together for Christmas, watch the usual movies, and just embrace in one another. But suddenly there was a crack, like a twig and Dylan awoke from his slumber within half a second having his riffle in his hand pointing towards the door. He wasn't alone.

He looked seeing flashlights outside of the tent, hearing whispers of voices and other noises he couldn't quite make out. Dylan slowly getting up to his feet, went over to one of the windows of the tent trying to move the cover flaps to see how many people were there. Getting it to just the right angle he was able to see two men holding flashlights and another tearing down one of the other tents. Dylan moved back, thinking to himself what the best option was for this scenario. He knew opening the door would alert the due to needing to zip it down. Dylan waited for a moment hearing the men's conversation. "I can't imagine this guys face when he wakes up in the morning to see all his shit gone, that'll teach him to steal from us." one man says, looking over at the bags full of supplies they had taken from the tents. "I just don't see why we don't go in there, and pop him in the head make sure we don't have to deal with thieves like him again." the man tearing down the tent says looking to his buddies seemingly for approval. Dylan stood listening before picking up his backpack from the other side of the tent, and began looking for instruments he could use to aid his survival. "Come on, there has to be something in here for fucks sake" he thought to himself trying to scuffle through the bag.

Finally Dylan found his golden ticket, in one of the pouches of his Alicepack he found RDG-5 Grenade he picked up from a downed Helicopter a few months back, with a grin on his face Dylan grabbed his chest holster with his pistol and started to unzip the door. By the time it was open he had all three men pointing weapons at him ready to fire. "You have a nice nap asshole?" as another looks to start coming in as Dylan quickly raises his right hand which holds the grenade. "Now, there is two options here. Either you all leave my shit and get the fuck out of my camp. Or i'll blow all of us to fucking hell." Dylan says in a stern voice holding the grenade firmly in his hand. The men quickly start to backup and lower their weapons. "Now c'mon man you don't want to do this okay?" one man says, "Yeah I mean you took our stuff we were only simply taking whats ours back man." the other says. Dylan grabs his pistol out of the holster with his other hand "This, all of this is mine. I don't think you understand who the fuck you're messing with" Dylan says as he steps out of the tent and starts walking towards the bags full of his stuff. "Now normally I'd be a pretty bad guy about all this" he stops and pauses for a moment before turning around shooting one of the men in the kneecaps "So that's exactly what i'm gonna do." The two men rush to their friend who is screaming in pain.

"Shit man you're fucking crazy, what the fuck is wrong with you?" he says looking up at Dylan who has found a wrap, alcohol, from one of the backpacks and throws it at the man on the ground. "I'm not a friendly guy anymore, men like you come around and try to take shit from me and I started doing something about it." Dylan says as he moves towards his tent and one of the men tries to attack Dylan, who quickly dodges and knocks him down. "Do you want to be stupid too?" he says looking at the last man who is trying to patch up his friend. Dylan walks into the tent to grab his bow and arrow as he turns to walk out the man who tried attacking looks up to him "Do you know how to fix this? C'mon man you had all this medical stuff, none of us are doctors or anything please have a fucking heart and help us." Dylan has a smirk on his face as he is walking by bow and an arrow in hand looking down at the ground as he sees a pair of black combat boots and he looks up to see himself.

Dylan stops looking at himself, who he used to be, the savior of Chernarus "The Archer". Suddenly all noise was muffled he could hear the men saying something to him, but all he could hear was himself. "Do the right thing, help them. You've done enough, do what we would do." Dylan looks upon himself, looking at the man he used to be. When he wore a mask not to cover a scar, but to hide his identity. When he used his bow to help people in need. Suddenly like his senses were increased he hears the sound of the one man raise his weapon and pull the trigger, and like out of a movie time stopped for Dylan to turn around and shoot an arrow into his head, and suddenly he watched the man drop. Pulling out another arrow out of anger and shooting the other man in the chest, before the only man left was the injured one. "Please, please i'll leave I promise you can have everything please just let me live" he says in terror as Dylan walks over and kicks the man in the face, getting on top of him and beginning to punch him as hard as possible. Suddenly he hears a loud ring, which makes him fall and he turns around to see the image of himself, his parents, all the people he had lost Dylan trying to cover his ears to make it stop he slowly crawls to his bow grabbing an arrow as he looks up into his own eyes as if he was telling himself "I am already dead" before turning to the man and putting an arrow directly through his right eye socket. Suddenly the ringing stopped, the hallucination ended, all he could hear was gurgling of blood, and watching the man twitch with the arrow in his head. He looked down at his hands and then to the other two men, before beginning to loot their bodies "You died.....I survived"

Chapter Three: Too Far Gone

I. Misery

Over the weeks Dylan would simply roam the country, a changed man after everything he had went through in recent months. Waking up with no goal, no purpose. He simply roamed, he would continue to not only avoid other survivors for his safety but also because he already had all the people he needed. His hallucinations and nightmares becoming more and more frequent his sense of paranoia continued to grow as even the wind had him drawing his bow looking for a reason to kill. Now running with only his bow, using all the ammo he had and could find for his AK he no longer spent days hunting, or trying to find some sort of shelter. He'd simply start a fire at sundown, and sit there lost in thought until the sun came above the horizon the next morning. He hadn't eaten in three days, his mind was almost gone, he was simply waiting for the cold embrace of death to take him away. Simply sitting in his coat, with his mask up.

Suddenly hearing a ruffling in the woods he didn't even move, not drawing a bow, not looking away from the fire. Two men came out of the tree's wearing scruffy clothing and jackets, with sacks on their backs and some type of rifle in their hands. "Hey....hey there buddy. Don't do anything stupid alright, just stay where you are and tell us where your stuff is" the one with a clown mask says pointing his gun at Dylan and slowly walking towards. Dylan of course continued just looking at the fire not moving, or saying a thing. "Now c'mon don't be this way, we don't want to hurt you we just want some of your food" the clown mask says now standing on the other side of the fire from Dylan who again hasn't looked away from the fire. "Hey dumbass are you deaf? He said give us your shit or we'll shoot" the other man says moving towards Dylan aggressively before his partner holds him back. "My apologize for my partner, he's a bit trigger happy. I see your bag there, can you just hand it over to me? I really don't want to have to come and grab it myself man" he says. Dylan without looking from the fire, grabs the torn handle of his bag and throws it over towards the men not saying a word. "Th-Thank you for cooperating" as the other starts looking through the bag, pulling out a single arrow, an empty water bottle, and some crumbs of some type of food. "He ain't got shit in here." He says. "What? What do you mean there's nothing in there?" he says walking over and checking the bag himself even turning it upside down and the crumbs falling to the floor before throwing it on the ground and looking back at Dylan. "Where's your stuff? I know that can't be everything, are you hiding something around here? In the tree's?" as he starts looking around looking into the nearby bushes and looking in the forest. "Are you fucking deaf? Tell me where your shit is." He says now pointing the gun at Dylan.

"Kill me" Dylan says without even looking away. "We might as well cause this stupid kid ain't giving us shit" the one man says to his partner. "No no, if we do that he won't tell us where it's at." Dylan looks up for the first time at the men and stands on his feet. "Fucking kill me." he says beginning to walk towards one of the men. "Now watch it there buddy don't come a step closer or i'll shoot" he says raising his weapon to Dylan who's only a mere 5 steps from him. Dylan looks down the barrel of the gun looking up the railing up to the eye and face of the man. "I ain't got shit." he says. "How do you not have anything? How are you alive then?" he says continuing to point the weapon at Dylan. "I'm not trying to be. I haven't eaten in three days, I ain't huntin, I ain't scavenging, I'm just sitting here waiting to die." Dylan says as he continues looking the man directly in the eyes. "If you're gonna do it, just do it already. I ain't fighting back anymore." he says as he turns around and sits back beside the fire which is slowly starting to go out. The two men look at one another as the masked one lowers his weapon with his friend following. "How old are you kid?" he asks. "I don't know, I haven't really kept track of time. Maybe 21 or 22ish" Dylan says as he looks upon himself. "I used to help people...not before all this earlier, earlier when the world went to shit." he says looking over at his bow which is simply a long stick with a glowingly thin string. "I used to be someone who had hope, hope that all of this would be over after a couple of years, that we could rebuild." the two men notice the glance and see the bow looking at the single arrow on the ground which they took out of the bag. "What happened? Why did you stop?" the masked one asks. Dylan takes a moment and relives the horrors of his torturing, reliving every kick, punch, broken finger, feeling every bit of hope redraining from his body. "No one was there to help me. I showed up, I helped so many people who could've been in such a similar situation, but no one was there to help me." The two men look at one another as the bald one looks to his hip where a pistol sits holstered. 

"So you really want to die?" he asks noticing his friend giving him a look of disapproval. "I'll help you." he says as he pulls out his pistol, Dylan looking up and noticing. The man pulls out the mag leaving the single chambered bullet in the gun. "Now Ken, we ain't giving a stranger a gun" trying to take the pistol from him before you hear Dylan say the words "Dad?" as Dylan puts his hand up revealing his face. The man dropping the pistol on the ground, as he almost rips the mask off revealing himself to be Dylan's father. "Dylan oh my god, oh my god my boy." as he falls to the ground hugging Dylan nearly in tears, as Dylan is lost in thought trying to analyze what is happening before pushing him off and slowly trying to crawl away. "No no no, you're not real this isn't real no no no" he says in fear now bumping into the tree. "What? What do you mean? It's me Dylan. It's Dad, I promise you this isn't a joke." as he tries to move forward but Dylan moving away screaming. "STAY THE FUCK AWAY, I SWEAR TO FUCK I WILL KILL YOU." as he slowly walks towards his bow. "What are you doing boy? Ken is this your kid? What's he doing?" the other man says as Ken looks puzzled. "Dylan what are you doing, i'm your dad. I know it's been so long but I promise you we aren't going to hurt you. C'mon just calm down, we have this camp we can go. There's some food, and it's safe from the infected." he says trying to calm him down. Dylan looking so puzzled as he looks Ken up and down until he looks at his bow and takes a deep breath. "Okay....let's go." Ken slowly walks over and hugs Dylan who is hugging back. "We need to be going soon Ken the others were expecting us back hours ago." the man says. "Okay..alright it's it's time to introduce them to my boy" as they start picking up stuff, Dylan walking over to his bag putting his items in his bag as he see's the arrow and looks at it for a moment. Before grabbing it and throwing his bag onto his back. 

II. You Survived

As the three walked together through the woods, Ken telling Dylan all about the camp they have set up. "We have about 20 or thirty people men, women, two kids, most of them are cherrussian but they understand English, some of them can't speak it though." he says looking at Dylan but noticing something off about him. "What what happened to you? Everything you were telling us, you were never this way. You were so strong, what could possibly take you to the limit where you are? I mean what if we were someone else and we did kill you? I guess I just don't understand." he says looking over at Dylan who looks among the tree's seeing the darkness of night consuming the sky before stopping and turning around showing him the scar, then pulling up his pant leg showing the scar from the bullet hole. "That happened" he says in a monotone voice. "Well how did it? What does the RT stand for?" he asks. "There was this group, about 5-6 men. They didn't like me, took me in the woods beat me half to death. I tried to walk away, they shot me in my leg. Broke a couple fingers, then branded me. It's not important" he says as they start walking rubbing the RT scar on the back of his neck. "Of course it's important, i'm so sorry you had to go through that. The attack, you were still so young, I mean barely a man I thought once we got overran they had found you or something happened. But no none of that is important anymore, when we get to camp you're going to love it. I promise you." he says enthusiastically as Dylan looks noticing with his hands seemingly tightening around his bow.

"So this camp, about 30 people you said? How does that work? Food supplies, weapons, outsiders all that?" Dylan asks looking at the back of the other man who's in front of them's head. "Well, there were about 3-4 of us originally. We found this little village, probably about 4 houses two of them have sheds thought it was small enough try and get some fencing around it. Keep the infected away and all that. Then over time we found some people they brought in food and supplies, started going on loot runs, all that and now we sort of just ration all we find out to everyone and go from there." The other man says as he looks all around them in the nearby tree lines. "What about guns? You guys sort of just let them carry, have an armory sort of place?" Dylan looks to his father and asks. "Well a few certain members we allow to carry, mostly near the perimeter being that they sort of see me as the leader the armory is held in one of the rooms in my home" he says as the man in front of them stops and points over towards a few houses with some fencing around them. "About time we're home, i'm ready to get some sleep." he says, as Dylan looks at the place. "I think I agree with him, I could do with some sleep." 

III. Home

The three entering past through the doors which are more gates with dumpsters attached to them as Dylan see's two men and a women manning the gateway. They start walking as you see different things outside of the houses, a few tents with a older man who appeared to be trying to sell some items. Families huddled around a campfire, just a living place full of life. "So as you can see, we're doing quite well for ourselves, no issues with infected in a few days, no bandits in months just a nice safe place. Do you want me to show you around?" Ken asks Dylan. Who is looking around seeing everything, the people, the children, the smiles and laughter trying to process all of this. "No no I'd really just like to just get some sleep I haven't really slept in a while if that's okay?" Dylan asks as Ken with a smile says "Of course not i'll show you the house." as they start walking Dylan continues looking around noticing all the unarmed people, just not even worrying about the outside world, the horrors in which he had faced all these years. They finally stop in front of an old, wooden house. "This is home, not as good as back at well our real home but it does the trick" Ken says as he opens the door leading Dylan in. They walk in and Dylan looks seeing the living room with a full couch, furniture, kitchen with appliances something he hadn't seen in years as he'd loot different places. "Your room I'll show you here in the back" Ken says as they start walking down the hallway and turn and open the door to a room with a twin-sized bed with sheets, blankets, pillows, seemingly just perfect. They walk in and Dylan just goes straight to the bed, and flops on it, feeling the soft cotton of the blanket and all the relief of laying on a mattress vs a sleeping back or on the ground. "I see you like it" Ken says with a smile. "Yeah I do, thank you." Dylan says as he turns over and puts his backpack and bow onto the floor. "Do you need anything? Water, or need anything before I let you be for a little while?" Ken asks. Dylan who has taken off his boots looking around "No..no thank you I'll be fine I just need some rest." he says. Ken looks at him "Alright, well I need to go report and take some of the stuff we found to the women who does rations for us. If you need anything it's just two houses down." Dylan looks at Ken and cracks his first tiny smile "Okay, thank you dad. I'm really..really glad I know that you're alive." he says as Ken looks his son over. "I'm glad you're alive too, welcome home." as Ken walks out of the room and closes the door. Dylan sits on the bed, listening as he hears the front door close. 

Quickly Dylan gets to his feet, and slowly opens the door looking out the hallway to make sure he's alone. "He isn't real, he isn't real." he says as he starts opening doors in the hallway. Finally he grabs and turns a knob and the door not budging. He tries again but the door just not opening. After trying a few more times his anger sets in and he starts banging and pushing before kicking in the door. The door swinging open then close quickly, as he opens the door to see two tables with guns and mags on them. Not looking for anything special he grabs a pistol and a mag, he just examines it for a moment being lost in thought until he hears the door open. Quickly Dylan puts the mag in the pistol and gets against the wall, listening to the footsteps and then hearing "Ken! Are you here?" in a female voice. Dylan in confusion listens as the footsteps grow closer the women walking down the hallway. "How was your run? I hope you didn't have to use any of those bullets in that armory." as Dylan listens as the footsteps stop Dylan realizing she see's the door damaged quickly Dylan comes away from the wall pointing the gun at here. "Say anything, you fucking die." as Dylan points the gun at her head. "Wh-Who are you? Where is Ken? How'd you get in here?" she says in fear as she slowly starts to cry "Shut the fuck up bitch, there is only one thing I want and it's a bullet. Don't make me put another one in you." he says as he points to the room. "Go, make a sound you die." as she starts walking to the room and Dylan following as she gets in the room he hears the door open. He pushes her the rest of the way in the room, closing the door. He raises the gun as he walks through the hallway towards the front door. 

"Dylan? Are you up? I heard the door." Ken says as he is taking off his shoes at the front door. "You know if you can't sleep we can get you some food or someth-" he stops as he looks over to see Dylan pointing the gun at him. "D-Dylan...w-what are you doing son?" he says raising his hands in the air. "You...you're not real. You're not real, you died, you died." Dylan says with his grip tightening around the pistol, "You're just in my mind, playing tricks just like the other times. I've seen you so many times, and I know it's not real because every time you just disappear." he says looking at Ken. "Dylan...you've been through a lot son, but I promise you, you have nothing to worry about." Ken says as he slowly walk towards Dylan. "Just lower the gun Dylan, I know things are rough. You've had to do, and see so much. But I promise you, you don't have to do that anymore. You're safe here" as Ken gets closer. "I love you Dylan...just like your mother loved you, we both wanted nothing but the best for you." As Ken is close enough to lower the pistol to the ground, Dylan slowly letting go of his grip before hearing the bedroom door open. He turns to see the women walking out, but not the women he put in there. He saw his mother....smiling looking so young...so beautiful, just like he remembered. She was walking towards him and as she walked her face being bright as she passed the busted armory door, where sunlight shined through the window. But he saw an infected, an infected came out of the room, and grabbed her. Dylan screaming for his mother, as she turned around and the infected biting her, as Dylan in a fit of rage screaming raising the weapon. "Dylan no!" Ken says trying to grab him, but Dylan elbowing him in the face as Dylan walked towards her shooting three shots into the infected, looking at his mother blood coming out of her neck, hearing an infected scream as he looked behind him at a infected rushing him who he knocked to the ground and started punching as hard as he possibly could, just punching looking at the puddle of mud surrounding the infected's body before getting up grabbing the gun and raising it and firing a shot into it's head. He looked around the room looked at the gun and all the blood before looking at the bodies again seeing the women with three gunshots in her chest, and his father with a clean hold in his forehead. Dylan seeing this looked around in horror before turning to see the door kicked in and 5 people with guns start shooting. Dylan quickly runs down the hallway and into the door. Hearing the gunfire fly right past him. He locked the door, and he started looking around screaming yelling, looking in the mirror ontop of the dresser seeing his dad with the bullet hole in his head staring at him. Hearing the voices outside, and the door beginning to be kicked in, Dylan looked down at his hands which were covered in his fathers blood. He looked at the gun before putting it to his temple and pulling the trigger.

THE END

Edited by Dylan Reynolds

Very detailed read friend, I love the use of varies colors. The formatting is well presented as well.

Good job! 

Guest Dylan Reynolds
3 hours ago, Noxious said:

Very detailed read friend, I love the use of varies colors. The formatting is well presented as well.

Good job! 

Thank you very much for the kind words! I figured I should get the next chapter for my RP in the community ready for 0.61 Stable and the new year, so thought it'd be best to update my backstory, rewrite some parts, add in parts from in game(like my torturing by a white supremist group which actually happened in-game), and add a new layer to my RP of slowly losing my sanity, and just looking out for myself vs my sort of "hero" act I usually do.

I also felt the formatting and coloring for the different people's dialogue was very important so it stuck out "this is x" especially in the later chapters when I was simply having conversations with myself. While throughout the story Dylan's dialogue was lime green, once he turns into "Nomad" it turns to a dark green, while the younger innocent is a more lighter green as well. Just so even if I may not describe it well enough, you know who is talking

Edited by Dylan Reynolds

Guest Dylan Reynolds

Edit for new backstory information

Guest Dylan Reynolds

Chapter II: Section III "Descent" has been added. Featuring a big event that happened in-game yesterday with some drama added. Really good as far as him fully descending to the darkness and leaving all the good left in him on the curb. 

Guest Dylan Reynolds

Added Chapter III which is the final chapter. Basically am no longer wanting to play this character(at least until the lore wipe in Beta/Whenever) and felt just trying to make him get worse and worse would be the best thing until well the ending happens. Hopefully it's been decent, this was my first real character since joining DayZRP I want to try and focus on shorter/less sort of "hero of the world" type of stories from now on maybe one day revisiting this character and doing him(in my opinion a whole lot better) but who knows when that will be. Hopefully it was decent thanks!

Sign in to follow this