Server time (UTC): 2019-11-20, 18:11
Sign in to follow this  
Hank Krieger

Group "Work in Progress" Time Limit

I feel 7 days is not enough time to advertise and recruit members into a group. I would like to suggest it be raised to a minimum of 30 days before archive. I understand we want groups that are ready to go. What of people who have great ideas for groups, but do not have the friends to populate it within 7 days before their idea is shut down. I think we should allow a longer time limit for people to actually read over it and join as an outsider therefore we have more people linking up outside of their circles and create more friendships within the community. This also allows more planning to take place and create more solid groups for the server. At the very least it would give groups more of a chance to form and populate the server with more group RP.

This is easily avoided by not jumping the gun on posting the thread. Get your members together, and everything ready before you post, and you should be fine. 

I couldn't have said it any better. Honestly have things pretty solid IG and have the group of people decently known and then post the thread. More interest will come about that way. "Trust" me, I know.

15 minutes ago, Wumby said:

This is easily avoided by not jumping the gun on posting the thread. Get your members together, and everything ready before you post, and you should be fine. 

How do you go about getting members without a group thread? Not everyone has friends or whoever to turn to everytime they have a good idea in mind. You're gonna have to advertise yourself anyway which would require basically making the thread anyway.

3 minutes ago, Valkerion said:

How do you go about getting members without a group thread? Not everyone has friends or whoever to turn to everytime they have a good idea in mind. You're gonna have to advertise yourself anyway which would require basically making the thread anyway.

I have found many friends and members for groups in game. We became friends ICly, then it folded over to OOC. 

I dunno about 30 days, but I could deal with somewhere in between.

1 minute ago, Wumby said:

I have found many friends and members for groups in game. We became friends ICly, then it folded over to OOC. 

Thats great but thats not what I asked. I asked where I would go to get members for a specific group idea other than just going IG because that could take weeks months if you dont happen to run into the right people.

Edited by Valkerion

2 minutes ago, Valkerion said:

Thats great but thats not what I asked. I asked where I would go to get members for a specific group idea.

Can still be done in game.

ex. I use the Brokers a lot. I explained to a few of the founding members in game what my vision and plans were. They were up for it, and joined ICly before there was a thread. 

-1 On this. I think it is perfectly fine as is, and I haven't seen or had to archive many groups because of lack of members, as they're mostly WIP groups. Yeah, not everyone has friends, but that gives them a reason to go IG and meet people, and recruit for their group, instead of taking in random application on the forums from people they don't know. 30 Days is WAY too long, too. I'd say 10-14 days at maximum. I just see a graveyard of groups popping up and sitting for a month with no forward progression before being /Archived if this were the case. 

2 minutes ago, Wumby said:

Can still be done in game.

ex. I use the Brokers a lot. I explained to a few of the founding members in game what my vision and plans were. They were up for it, and joined ICly before there was a thread. 

So you would rather they just spend weeks or months in game hoping they run into the correct people rather than just being able to advertise on the forums with a thread?

how does this work for groups that need/Require group specific characters? because that kind of stuff needs to be sorted OOC before you even go IG.

Edited by Valkerion

3 minutes ago, Valkerion said:

So you would rather they just spend weeks or months in game hoping they run into the correct people rather than just being able to advertise on the forums with a thread?

how does this work for groups that need/Require group specific characters?

I wouldnt say it takes that long. If its a good group idea people will want to be apart of it. 

It happens so many times where people post group threads with only themselves on the roster, and it gets archived a little while later. 

4 minutes ago, Wumby said:

I wouldnt say it takes that long. If its a good group idea people will want to be apart of it. 

It happens so many times where people post group threads with only themselves on the roster, and it gets archived a little while later. 

Well how do they know what the group idea is in the first place to know they want to be part of it? Your example of the brokers works perfectly fine and is achievable in game however how do you go about advertising your specific groups like secret societies or groups that needs very specific characters built around the group like Staggs' group "Dead Batteries" it simply cant be done only in IG.

Having a longer time to garner members and advertise wont change the fact that people post group threads then archive them because as you mentioned that already happens anyway.

Maybe we need like a thread/section where you can post "group ideas" and garner interest and gather members before posting the thread.....I feel like we had that somewhere before.

Edited by Valkerion

2 minutes ago, Valkerion said:

Well how do they know what the group idea is in the first place to know they want to be part of it? Your example of the brokers works perfectly fine and is achievable in game however how do you go about advertising your specific groups like secret societies or groups that needs very specific characters built around the group like Staggs' group "Dead Batteries" it simply cant be done only in IG.

Having a longer time to garner members and advertise wont change the fact that people post group threads then archive them because as you mentioned that already happens anyway.

Maybe we need like a thread where you can post "group ideas" and garner interest and gather members before posting the thread.....I feel like we had that somewhere before.

Return of group ideas 2k17? Yea. Yes. 

4 minutes ago, Wumby said:

Return of group ideas 2k17? Yea. Yes. 

Pretty much yeah I mean I like the fact that groups that are ready to go can post the thread do their CP and get going without the old system holding them back. But not everyone is ready from the get go they need time to get everything in place, they need feedback and a place to get members and advertise themselves before they get to that stage.

#ReturnGroupIdeas

Make it happen @Rolle

Edited by Valkerion

7 days I feel is too short as well. 30 days is way too long, however. I think 15 days could be a happy medium.

If we can't have a group ideas page maybe somewhere people can post an advertisement of sorts for their group and once they have the members they can make the official circle. I was against the idea of groups being allowed to be posted as a WIP since imo nothing should be posted until it's done. But given the new website and how hard it is to find shit still, maybe 10 days would be enough time. 

I would be fine with pushing for 15 days like suggested above. Also @Valkerion touched on the other reasons for wanting to expand the timer. But also @Nihoolious mentioned a good point as well of having just a group ideas section in the forums make a return. That way when the group is ready they can just make the post in the official groups section.

On 13-12-2016 at 3:44 AM, Chief said:

"Trust" me, 

I see what you did there :D

but you can always recruit people in the "looking for a group" thread. 30 seems too long tbh, maybe 2 weeks?

I could see two weeks being reasonable, but a full month is way too long.