Server time (UTC): 2019-07-17, 03:27
Sign in to follow this  
Wumbyyy

DayZRP Groups

This suggestion is in response to a large amount of the community not taking kindly to the way groups are gone about these days. Many people were taken off guard when the approval process was taken away, virtually giving no one a reason to make a thread in the first place. Its all about in game, right, but people make these threads to be shown off. They put a lot of hard work into them and the hard truth is that some threads and groups are better than others. There needs to be a way to show the groups that are really effecting role play in game. This will be a revision of the approval process as a whole, piece by piece, with the given suggestions on how to make this work.

First off, we can review how the old process worked. (Rough go through, its not a big deal, most of us know how it worked)

1. Group idea [WIP]

2. They become active and wait for LM feedback. 

3. They change the feedback and what not and eventually become approved once all issues are addressed. 

One of the reasons this system was changed was to take the work load off of the LMs so they could focus on lore work. Which this system does take a load off. I mean, no one has to go through any process. If the admins see something wrong they will address it. But now the groups are meaningless. People put hard work in their groups. This idea will make people want to make their groups great. They will want to provide the best role play possible from their groups. So lets get started

A huge concern is the workload. Step one is to let the community decide. The community are the ones who see these groups in game and in action. They are the ones reading the group lore and judging the group threads in the first place. This year there have been many projects given to the hands of the community. Entire side projects have been handled by community members. So Step 1? Up votes

- Upon creation of each group thread, there is are a few categories of "Up votes". 

-Lore

- Presentation

- In game activity / role play

These are up for change and modification upon receiving feedback from the community. Now, it is yet to be determined, but once a group reaches so many "up votes" in each category, only then will a Lore Master review the group. This takes out the work load of having a Lore Master constantly checking for groups that are ready to be reviewed. Once the up votes are reached, the LM will take a brief time to review the thread and make sure its all in order, then they can have the final say to approve or not. 

The community obviously wants groups to go back to how it was, so let them assume direct control

Now after you get the up votes needed and the LM's say you are approved, there will once again be perks of being an official group

1. Access to a CP

2. Permission to submit events to the current DayZRP time line

3. Only approved groups may apply to become a faction, possibly resulting in a settlement

Now, one thing I saw as a problem would be to what extent could a group be an idea, or "not official". Or, how long can one stay a group idea. The community can decide on this as well. Towards the end of group ideas, there were numerous community members already responding to dead threads in ways such as "Is this still a thing?". This can be monitored by the community since it sort of already was. A simple PM to a Lore Master stating a group has gone inactive will suffice. This will not strain the LM's work load at all. 

Think of it this way, the community runs the show, and when the time comes, we call in one of the FIVE Lore Masters to make the final say. The LM's do not have to keep up with threads or anything, the up votes will do this for them. 

An example of the up vote system would very similar to the one found on question threads right now. 

This is all up for changes and what not. And tell me if its a bad idea for real. I just see a lot of people saying how they dont like the current status of group stuff so I thought I would think of an idea. Thanks to my buds for helping me out.

I like it. 

It gives people a higher standard to be held to for groups

This is a great idea, you should get MVP for your efforts in crafting this. Good stuff...

But on a serious note, this is a damn good idea. I think with people upvoting and downvoting, they would give their reason rather than the vote being anonymous and not at all providing any help to the group in improving lore, character backstories, and the general history of the universe that we play in.

I like it. *upvotes*

What about when people take it OOC and down vote because they don't like the group or people on the group etc? Or just piss all over the group thread or the idea. I like no restrictions on groups. It makes it so you don't have to force it and bull shit a group for an approval. 

Never  put the approval of groups into the hands of the community. That will only end in OOC salt and downvotes to hell for OOC reasons. I can smell the ocean breeze from here...

I don't like the idea of up votes. But I do agree the process needs work. (As in, there needs to be a process)

I think something needs to be brought back, some groups just seem silly to me and with the old process would never of even been thought of being accepted.

I think the approval process should be different since there is basically none at the moment. But I do not really think the idea of up/down votes is really good idea. It should still be done just by staff imo. And same as Diamon said, there would probably be quite a lot of OOC negative votes just because someone does not like person or whatever not related to the group itself. Or on the other hand a lot of positive votes because of lot of OOC friendships and the group might still be "shit" you could say.

its a good idea but only problem i see is the popularity and clicks certain people who are known and have been around a while will have no problems with this but if you are newish or not very well known people would hesitate and not give giving the thumbs up. i have seen a lot of venom in this community at times (still the best community ive been in) and i think that staff doing it is better because they are unbiased and everyone has a chance.

This is just my opinion :)

As ive said time and time again both as a staff member and community member, to make groups worthwhile the whole dynamic groups need to be scrapped. KoS rights should only be shared between approved groups (as it was in the mod)

Pros:

- Groups become meaningful with more work put into them

- Groups will last longer due to more activity (6-12 months in life maybe more)

- Groups lasting longer means more storyline and lore on the server

- The community becomes more together with new and old players working together, teaching and improving RP aswell as making new friendships

Cons:

- Its not realistic. However this is a game under the surface of RP and groups can easily initiate for another group (eg. 'This is SVR and 501st, drop your weapons or be killed')

Now in terms of this idea, i cant see it working. As others have put this will just become a popularity contest, the old way worked it just needed more LMs that were actively looking at groups aswell as doing other duties. 

I dont see what was wrong with the old system.. Isn't staffs motto "if it isn't broken don't change it" or something.. Its pretty shit now tbh

I miss the way it used to be, making a thread and people used to be so proud of it and the achievement of getting approved and that nice looking CP rank, now it's shitty no fun in creating, groups aren't as big as they used to be anymore imo 

The old version was so much better tbh. Many people think this way considering the majority of people voted to change the system back to the old in Striders post. It's a real shame... Like you said, people put a lot of hard work into the group threads to make it look presentable. Now, barely anyone sees these threads. It's all hidden in a group tab that few people go to in the first place. Recruitment will also decrease due to the new system. 

I know it probably won't change because Rolle stated that he likes the new version. 

Yeah the old version in my opinion worked heaps good. Now I think the main pro to it for a group owner is that it made you feel alot more caring about your group. Nowadays anyone (with the requirements) can hop on and make a group with near to no questions asked. The old system allowed for you to be anxious and await the response of the LM to decide whether it was a good idea or how to improve it. Like, that bit of anxiousness kept you on your heels and you would strive to making your group thread up to a high standard. I see many that are just unpolished and have little to no work been put into them.

So yeah. That's my opinion. The old system is better, do I expect anything to change. No. But, hopefully what I have said can waver some minds

Cheers :) 

One small thing sheriff wumbo...

With these upvotes we need written responses as to why they meet said requirements or not. Because what's stopping a large sum of people from up voting the groups they want approved mindlessly? We need solid reasoning.

bring back the old system and create a new admin rank "group manager" or something like this.

26 minutes ago, Chilli said:

bring back the old system and create a new admin rank "group manager" or something like this.

Yes because making more unneeded staff ranks is a good idea!

No. If the old group method came mack there our more then enough Lore Masters that could handle groups. Like stated aboved I really do miss the old way and hope to god it comes back. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Yes because making more unneeded staff ranks is a good idea!

No. If the old group method came mack there our more then enough Lore Masters that could handle groups. Like stated aboved I really do miss the old way and hope to god it comes back. 

i think the loremasters have enough work, so 2-3 people as group manager cant be so wrong.

8 minutes ago, Chilli said:

i think the loremasters have enough work, so 2-3 people as group manager cant be so wrong.

2 lore masters took care of groups before, now we have 5.. I think they can handle groups as well as their busy schedal we see so much of. 

Edited by Charlie

3 minutes ago, Charlie said:

2 lore masters took care of groups before, now we have 5.. I think they can handle groups as well as there busy schedal we see so much of. 

oh i didnt know that we have 5 LM´s, so yes thats enough

I personally didn't see a problem with the old system, group reviews don't take too long either, its just a case of reading over it and ensuring rules are followed and the lore is correct. I feel there should be some form of a review before groups are given to go-ahead to be official etc. Maybe using a system similar to Fox's one from a few months back which ensured that groups would only be in ideas for a limited number of days.

I agree that some sort of approval process is needed to give groups an actual point to being official.

The reason it changed was, LM's were introduced during mod days to advance lore and make events, because before that the admins had to do it. Having LM's took a lot of work and pressure off the admin team, and eventually they figured it would be best to give group approval to LM's, seeing as the only thing that needs to be approved is the lore side of things.

Personally from what I've seen over the past year or two, there was a lot of patches where groups were just sitting there with no feedback or input from staff at all. It was an on and off thing, it came in waves so to speak. People constantly complained about stale lore and boring gameplay due to lack of events, so I'm assuming thats why LM's were cut from group approval and set to focus on lore and events.

In theory having no approval process probably sounded like a good idea (not a good idea, halp) but now it seems that having a group is pointless. Theres no achievement to having an official group now, nothing to work towards it. Official group have no sense of accomplishment anymore.

I would like to see an approval process return, but a bit more efficient than before. Let GM's have apart of it? :D

I like how it is now.  Admins can shut it down. Besides it really makes no difference to nice as there is no reward for having an approved group.   If it gets shut down people can just run dynamic still use same group and enjoy the same benefits as approved groups.   If you want to go back to approval then make it worth the groups while to get approved.  Maybe shared low rights across whole server...  I don't know.   If there is no perk to being official then it's just a waste of time. 

What Rampage said. No perks to even being official except an icon under your avatar. Dynamic is just as good except without restrictions of sticking to goals (as if most groups follow those anyway). Current system is good enough for what you can do right now in SA. 

It seems like a good idea, but at the same time I agree with the other's who think that salt would "over-season" the voting system. A group of randoms have a poor encounter with a larger group, and downvote based on emotion.