Server time: 2019-02-20, 06:26 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
jojogutta

Character Names

Honestly, I'm triggered

I said "like" and "cringe" a lot of times in this. Sorry if it triggered anyone, I'm just a giant meme man.

Edited by jojogutta

I honestly feel you on this. Though I haven't noticed any myself, the again I don't watch the Walking Dead, I know the types you're talking about. And I get it, creativity gets blocked, but I mean come on guys. It's RP. You can literally be anything, within rules of course, but anything! I mean from what I hear, yea, the Walking Dead is pretty cool. But let's be real. If I ran into 6 of the same types of people within one play session who are the exact same type of person, it just kinda, ruins the experience and diversity. Spice this shit up like a hot tamale, boyos and girlos. 

Hell yell, I'm glad you feel me on this. In addition to this, there is a group on DayZRP named "The Saviors". Now, if you don't watch the Walking Dead you might not see why I am so triggered, but The Saviors is literally a faction from the show. And it's led by some dickhead trying to emulate Negan, I do not doubt.

yep, I agree. To many wanne be Negans around who can't pull it off correctly.. pretty annoying

3 minutes ago, The Spartan said:

yep, I agree. To many wanne be Negans around who can't pull it off correctly.. pretty annoying

Problem is they shouldn't be attempting to pull it off in the first place. Inspire yourself from sources and characters, but don't copy them, it's lame and cringy and shows you have no imagination whatsoever.

Just now, SomeWeirdAssGuy said:

Problem is they shouldn't be attempting to pull it off in the first place. Inspire yourself from sources and characters, but don't copy them, it's lame and cringy and shows you have no imagination whatsoever.

well it is an intreesting idea to have 1 group that pulls it off correctly. Not to have 6 small groups who all demand you to do crap but wont fight eachother over who is the real boss. If you wanne pull off a good Negan you should protect the group of the other wanne be Negans and they need to fight it out between them to see who is the real one boss. There is no room for multiple groups like this. imo ofc

Exactly. I get that some people aren't the most imaginative type, and that fine. Like. Hell I spent hours just trying to think of names for characters before. But it goes with that, take inspiration from characters if your having trouble. Take attributes from many characters to form them to one and make it your own, give them a little twist. and eventually you can start spurring out characters like nothing. I can see why its frustrating to have someone to be portraying a character, fictional or not, that already exists and just pulling it off poorly. Everyone has to start off somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Can't listen to it rn. Anyone transcribe it? 

"Im really mad because people role play what they want to and it makes me mad like like like like"

Sorry pal, gotta disagree. I respect your opinion, as you are allowed to have it. But this seems like a lot of trouble to go through for something that doesnt hurt you

Makes sense. But there was a very similar thread to this like 2-3 weeks ago. I don't mind people taking inspiration from tv shows, books, etc. but I know there have been several situations where people are straight up ripoffs and it can be cringe worthy. But unless it comes across the lines of metagaming (or blatant bad RP/trolling like the "vape nation" squad back in April), I just ignore it and move on. Not much to be upset about aside from just not liking the rp. 

Triggerd

So basically you're saying that other people should be told to change their characters, but when it happens to your friend, you are instantly so salty about it that you make an MP3 file on soundcloud bashing the rule as well as the admins? 

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Makes sense. But there was a very similar thread to this like 2-3 weeks ago. I don't mind people taking inspiration from tv shows, books, etc. but I know there have been several situations where people are straight up ripoffs and it can be cringe worthy. But unless it comes across the lines of metagaming (or blatant bad RP/trolling like the "vape nation" squad back in April), I just ignore it and move on. Not much to be upset about aside from just not liking the rp. 

Exactly, like I don't mind a bit of inspiration. Like, just straight up taking attributes and putting them into a character. But blatant ripoffs are a bit of a downer. especially when there's so many. So it does go with the cringe worthy and just bad/not liking the RP.

2 minutes ago, Wumby said:

So basically you're saying that other people should be told to change their characters, but when it happens to your friend, you are instantly so salty about it that you make an MP3 file on soundcloud bashing the rule as well as the admins? 

I'm not saying that, I'm just more so on the wagon for so many of the same people. I don't think they should have to delete their characters. I just feel that after this one dies or so, they fine tune it slightly. Like I said, everyone has to start out somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, White Chocolate said:

Exactly, like I don't mind a bit of inspiration. Like, just straight up taking attributes and putting them into a character. But blatant ripoffs are a bit of a downer. especially when there's so many. So it does go with the cringe worthy and just bad/not liking the RP.

I'm not saying that, I'm just more so on the wagon for so many of the same people. I don't think they should have to delete their characters. I just feel that after this one dies or so, they fine tune it slightly. Like I said, everyone has to start out somewhere. 

*to the op* 

awk.. 

Some people have trouble coming up with original characters (mostly new members). If you ever run across these guys, I'd refer them to the Official Mentor Program so they can get in contact with some volunteers who can help improve their RP (giving hints and pointers to making characters) or point them towards a LoreMaster for background story help! 

I mean. I've seem too many people with the same personality already. It's getting boring, and it's one of the reasons I'm almost stopping playing DayZRP. It's just... I don't feel like it's good anymore. I've been playing for some years now, but the feeling is so different. I don't find that many people, and when I do, it's always the same thing:

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Good, what about you?"

"Fine"

*they leave*

And it's not getting better in any way or form. Now back to the OP's thing. I really understand where you're coming from. I have seem a lot of people trying to rip off stuff form The Walking Dead, and only a few (About 1/7) of them managed to do so. It's great when it works, but if people try too hard it just becomes blatant bad rp. Not in the sense of rule-brake, but in the sense that it's just bad.

It's just like Bon Jovi's "Dead or Alive" music says:

"It's all the same;

Only the names will change"

I definitely hate the Negan wannabe's. My new group coming out is based off a group that will be seen in the Show in like two seasons. I am trying extremely hard to add my own feel to the group, so that I don't directly copy them. Also, I think that Negan's idea of half is a great one, and if a group wants to do that, there shouldn't be an issue. But doing everything they do is unrealistic and annoying.

Edited by reesesaddict

I personally havent ran into any Negan wannabes yet but I have seen a lot of characters pop up that have Negan character pictures and that sometimes it can be good if people can pull it off and that but I feel that there is too much Negan wannabes and that there should be more original characters instead of people copying Negan.

From my point, I was trying to get across that it's not a big deal when it affects a very niche group of people. Like for example; if someone is named after a book character such as Guy Montag or (in my case) Petsha Loiza, it isn't really that big of a deal, because not everyone from our little DayZRP zombie survival game demographic is familiar with these characters (not saying you wouldn't be, I'm saying that generally people don't immedietly correlate these characters with a zombie apocalypse. But, and I don't mean to jump to conclusions, big shows/movies like The Walking Dead and like Shaun of the Dead. I don't know, thanks for the opinions I was just sharing a thought to get some rep and raise my post count. Hah.

p.s. 

I'm not saying that Slipknot is bad either, or that people wouldn't recognize it, but like, I was just using him as an example that some people do this by accident.

p.p.s

My friend did not know at the time of his character's creation that Cory Taylor was a member of Slipknot.

Well for one, the admin was correct in asking your friend to change their character's name because, as it says in our rules, you are not allowed to have the same name as a real life famous person. So a member of a popular band would obviously qualify as just that, so there's nothing to justify being salty about it.

As far as your complaints, well yeah, Walking Dead is very popular and deals with zombies, so of course a zombie RP community is going to have that. Now, I can't say I personally have seen these many people straight up copying from the Walking Dead as you claim, maybe it's because I just don't notice because I don't really watch the walking dead all that frequently, but I don't think its that big of an issue. We have tons of people who play with us, not everyone is as creative as the other, nor as experienced, hell I started off with a shitty military character when I first joined here, everyone starts somewhere. Most the time, the people who actually stick around make great improvements to their RP over time. Now I'm not saying that it's a good thing that people act like this, but more so we could do more than just sit and complain about it on the forums, it's one of the reasons we now have the Mentor Program. 

People replicate media and popular fictional characters, but you should take these IC at face-value. If you go in-game and immediately go, "Urgh, this guy is just acting like Neegan." You've already established a negative outlook and haven't given that other roleplayer a chance, and rather than just enjoy it for what it is, you're thinking about how bad this other player's roleplay is or how unoriginal it is. Yeah, it may be unoriginal, but a good roleplayer can make the best of a bad situation regardless of who is around them. That's on you, not them. 

xD

This is one meme I'll tell ya.

Anyway. I'd rather have someone play a character from the walking dead than some super soldier navy seal wearing all green with an M4 bragging about his 5.56.

I guess people can't be original, but this is not the biggest issue on the servers right now pal. xD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ oh well dude, get used to it because if it's not against the rules ya gotta deal with it.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

xD

This is one meme I'll tell ya.

Anyway. I'd rather have someone play a character from the walking dead than some super soldier navy seal wearing all green with an M4 bragging about his 5.56.

I guess people can't be original, but this is not the biggest issue on the servers right now pal. xD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ oh well dude, get used to it because if it's not against the rules ya gotta deal with it.

What the fuck did you say Commie scum? I'll have you know I roleplay a US military general that has over 9000 confirmed kills on Commies. watch what you say before you talk shit.

But in all seriousness my opinion is the basically the same as Frosty's.