Server time (UTC): 2019-07-17, 03:34
Sign in to follow this  
Buddy

Reduced profile music size?

I was just messing around with my profile a bit and found out that I could not upload a song to my profile that I had done so with earlier. How come the sudden reduction to 2mb upload size? 

Can you show a screenshot of when you try to upload a song over 2mb?

c8ae603b31.PNG

here ya go

EDIT// the above image is from when i selected a file from my computer. this below image is when i tried puushing the very same file and using a URL

8ea89d2bec.PNG

Edited by Buddy

When we first moved over to the new website, the file size was limited as well, but seemed to be raised about a week later. It seems that it has (probably accidentally) been lowered once again. 

This is something that only @Rolle can take care of. At the moment, avatars are also limited to 100KB. Hopefully rolle will fix both of these issues.

Oh dear. :/

Let the waiting game begin; thank you both for the prompt responses!

/Solved ^_^

As OP you can press the Green Check and pick the best answer for you!

Well now that IS a fancy little feature. I think I'm gonna use the crap out of that right now! xD

That's intended change. One does not really need a 320kbps mp3 playing on profile background and those big files really slow down the server since it only has 100Mbit upload and nowadays all profile content like backgrounds and music are hosted by the server.

Try compressing your music to 128 or 96 kbps using http://media.io

2 hours ago, Rolle said:

That's intended change. One does not really need a 320kbps mp3 playing on profile background and those big files really slow down the server since it only has 100Mbit upload and nowadays all profile content like backgrounds and music are hosted by the server.

Try compressing your music to 128 or 96 kbps using http://media.io

So I'm guessing this is not being changed? I have some songs I want to use but I can't because they are like 4mb's and 6mb's.

12 minutes ago, Earthwalker said:

So I'm guessing this is not being changed? I have some songs I want to use but I can't because they are like 4mb's and 6mb's.

Have you tried compressing them using the website I linked? Otherwise cut it short. I don't think many people listen to an entire song on profiles :)

Just now, Rolle said:

Have you tried compressing them using the website I linked? Otherwise cut it short. I don't think many people listen to an entire song on profiles :)

I've tried compressing it, it does not make it much smaller. Also if the song is good I listen to the entire thing and so do a lot of people too. Some of us pay to have full songs for our profile.

16 minutes ago, Earthwalker said:

I've tried compressing it, it does not make it much smaller. Also if the song is good I listen to the entire thing and so do a lot of people too. Some of us pay to have full songs for our profile.

You pay to have music on your profile, which is still perfectly doable. Restrictions apply based on technical limitations, since the website has been upgraded around 14GB of avatars, music and attachments have been uploaded and it hadn't even been a month. We currently don't have storage or bandwidth to continue with that trend. I'm sure that if you tweak it a little, the song will clear the requirements.

Oh myy... uh.. if this is going to be a set thing for the future then would you be able to embed something into the website directly that can help users auto-compress audio files? (One that does NOT impair the quality of the song as well because literally every method of reducing audio file sizes made my music sound god awful.)

Or perhaps allow a certain level of donors a larger file size? Honestly this was one of the more enjoyable perks and almost nothing i have is a small enough file size to upload now. - I guess the same could be mentioned for avatar file sizes since you'd made a thread asking for suggestions on donor perks

Edited by Buddy

Just another thought came to mind when you mentioned the 14GB worth of files were uploaded to the website.. what if you set up an automated cache wipe for inactive files that have been uploaded to the website that happened every other week or something? By inactive I'm trying to say obviously not peoples currently being used avatars and profile songs. Just ones that have been uploaded and not being used anymore? If that would even be plausible..

Or are you trying to reduce the total amount of files permitted to be uploaded over a certain amount of time?

2 hours ago, Rolle said:

You pay to have music on your profile, which is still perfectly doable. Restrictions apply based on technical limitations, since the website has been upgraded around 14GB of avatars, music and attachments have been uploaded and it hadn't even been a month. We currently don't have storage or bandwidth to continue with that trend. I'm sure that if you tweak it a little, the song will clear the requirements.

I get what you're trying to say, but I'd perhaps suggest raising the limitation to maybe 6mb's then people can have full length songs or something, 2mb's just seems way too small.

Edited by Earthwalker

had the same problem and got it working after following striders instructions.