Server time (UTC): 2019-07-23, 14:23
Sign in to follow this  
TheMcgregor

Should anybody that dies be forced to permadeath their character!?

I believe this will make people a little bit more concerned for their lives and also in terms of initiating it would make there be a real need to do so.

if video evidence and the logs show that your character was legit killed imo they should be given a permadeath.

It kind of takes away the immersion knowing I can get killed and come back a day later and be like 'hi' whilst talking to the same exact person who killed me.

opinions?

Edited by TheMcgregor

Has been suggested multiple times in the last 2-3 months, it will not happen as it will lead to abuse. The character owner is the only person that can permakill their own character.

This has a possibility to add more realism in this game but then again - would it be fun too? I can imagine a lot of people being pissed off (excuse my french) just because they just started to play as a new character that gets killed a few days later. I mean, we are suppose to act realistically but too much is too much. It isn't always a good thing and while some games should be a at least a bit real, they are also suppose to give us enjoyment. 

Long story short - I'm against this idea because I believe that character owner should be the one to decide whether he or she wants to permadeath his or her character.

I do it with most of my characters, if i die in a firefight/legit execution I will perma but if I die by a glitch or so I wont. Makes you think twice before doing something stupid

There's other communities that enforce this sorta thing and I never cared for it. I don't want my character to be perm'd because some random decides to execute me, kinda kills it for me. The new NLR rule helps alleviate this problem enough. 

I'm more concerned with us enforcing permadeath.  Too many people bring back perma'd characters in incredibly cheesy ways.  I've seen people literally commit suicide with a pistol in front of me and within two weeks they're back on the scene. 

Should we enforce people that publicly perma a character to never let them return? YES. 

Edited by Thumper

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Should we enforce people that publicly perma a character to never let them return? YES. 

This, really annoying. I meet someone in game yesterday whom I watched die. Kinda awkward

18 minutes ago, TheMcgregor said:

I believe this will make people a little bit more concerned for their lives and also in terms of initiating it would make there be a real need to do so.

if video evidence and the logs show that your character was legit killed imo they should be given a permadeath.

It kind of takes away the immersion knowing I can get killed and come back a day later and be like 'hi' whilst talking to the same exact person who killed me.

opinions?

Nope... nope... nope... nope. I'm playing in two communities right now. Here, obviously... and one that has perma-death. I can tell you perma-death SUCKS. It makes me not care about my character or the roleplay to further that character. Exactly opposite of your thinking. Why? Because at any moment they could die. The hours, days, weeks, forums stories, etc... ALL WASTED because some d-bag had to kill me. Maybe the circumstances were questionable... maybe it didn't need to happen but their 12 year old little heart needed it. Nope.

Perma-death sucks when you want to further your character and really have a storyline. That's why I'm here. I'm here to RP my character (really put forth some serious effort) and the other server... meh... screw around until he dies then stop playing there. He's a throw away. I have almost no interest in him.

4 minutes ago, Plank said:

I'm more concerned with us enforcing permadeath.  Too many people bring back perma'd characters in incredibly cheesy ways.  I've seen people literally commit suicide with a pistol in front of me and within two weeks they're back on the scene. 

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

1 minute ago, Wumby said:

This, really annoying. I meet someone in game yesterday whom I watched die. Kinda awkward

It is actually in the rules now that once you Perma a character they cannot be brought back.

• 10.3 Permanent killing a character (aka "permadeath") is a decision that is taken only by the character owner. Permadeath is final, once a character is declared as killed it may not be used again.

2 minutes ago, Rose said:

It is actually in the rules now that once you Perma a character they cannot be brought back.

• 10.3 Permanent killing a character (aka "permadeath") is a decision that is taken only by the character owner. Permadeath is final, once a character is declared as killed it may not be used again.

I mean thats great and all, but the only way I could report is if I have evidence they perma deathed, and then evidence of their return? Right? 

Just now, Rose said:

I love that this is in the rules now, but how is it enforced? What constitutes a character being declared as killed? I can easily see people crying "I didn't perma!" and OOC drama unfolding as a consequence.

2 minutes ago, DocTeeth said:

Perhaps a Perma page? Where if you choose to do so you put the characters name on it? And how

Nah that will just get abused. Because then I can just not put my char on it to avoid punishment if I wish to bring them back in the future

12 minutes ago, Wumby said:

I mean thats great and all, but the only way I could report is if I have evidence they perma deathed, and then evidence of their return? Right? 

You mean just like any other rule break? :)

But yeah, you can report it if for example you know there are logs, or a post on the forums or any other declaration of the character being killed. Then if we see the same character in game, we can take action.

10 minutes ago, DocTeeth said:

Perhaps a Perma page? Where if you choose to do so you put the characters name on it? And how

Nah that will just get abused. Because then I can just not put my char on it to avoid punishment if I wish to bring them back in the future

Honestly GG

But ya I get that. Just seems like people dont care so they'll find a way to get around the rule. *Shrugs* 

@Rolle That didnt quote you btw. Not sure why that happened

All what i Can say is I come from A German RP Server That had The Rule that if you Character Dies in a Rp Action he was Perma Death, but the Problem was ther that you had always a Report after Kill some one, and yeah it can be abuse that some one dont like you OOC takes the shit IC and hunt your Character for no IC reason and Kill you and your Story is Over, I really Like that this Community has the NLR, its more fun too Play and we Have Here the NVFL Rule so no one Abuse that and Play some Rambo Character.

I don't believe in forcing people to perma. Instead, I want to encourage some things:

• Don't execute characters that you know the owner is not going to perma when they are no threat. Unless it is a part of a firefight I don't see the reason for ending a character's life if they are not going to perma. Instead, leave them after some torturing and wounds. This way you won't have to get the awkward encounter with them again where you question how the fuck they aren't dead.
  • Take the hint if your character has died several times in-game. If you play a character that lives dangerously and acts like an asshole to everyone, people will want you dead and you are not immortal. 

8 minutes ago, Sofie said:
  • Take the hint if your character has died several times in-game. If you play a character that lives dangerously and acts like an asshole to everyone, people will want you dead and you are not immortal. 

This. Super soldiers everywhere, dying every single day but continuing to play the same character. Must look like bullet riddled carcasses underneath their clothes.

I don't like this idea.

Any members who choose to do hostile RP will be affected greatly. It would be very hard to develop your character long term considering multiple people would have execution rights. The only way to really have a character that you can develop a big story with over time would be to play a survivor who always complies. 

12 minutes ago, MapleMooses said:

The only way to really have a character that you can develop a big story with over time would be to play a survivor who always complies. 

To me it's just a case of valuing your life.

Welp I guess it's that time again for me to argue against the idea.

1. It severely limits the continuation of RP between the hostile actor and the person being impacted by the hostile RPers actions. You will instead find a whole host of constantly changing hostile characters with less interest in the story line. If I could die because of someone who is trigger happy, then why should I put any care into my character?

2. Because of this, we will also see what I like to call "the cheeki breeki". Since it is increasingly harder to come up with unique characters that aren't Chernarussian, we'll be seeing many more asshole Chernarussians, since it's easily excusable and explainable on how they got to the country. 

Now if the rule was enforced only on execution we will see another unique problem arise.

3. If someone has execution rights on you, no matter how light it is, you WILL end up dying. There won't be any second guessing with the majority of the community. They will, to piss in your cheerios, kill you. "Oh I can force him/her to perma death... hmm I think I shall!"

4.This rule would completely disincentivize generating conflict with another character. As a result, the RP on the server will become even more dull. The carebears will run amok, and the end of the world as we know it will be upon us!

Edited by Joules

3 minutes ago, Castiel said:

To me it's just a case of valuing your life.

I would never be able to initiate on anyone, which would ruin my hostile RP. 

People say "You can still do it, just prepare to die, tha't good character development (short term)". Meaning, anyone who wants to have some good bandit RP would never progress in long term character development, unless they are good at pvp (game skill) to survive, which is unfair.