Server time: 2019-05-26, 21:56
Sign in to follow this  
Cid

LiF Lore Discussion/Questions

The LiF team will be happy to answer any questions regarding the Lore feel free to ask away in this thread.  As well feel free to leave any feedback or comments regarding the thread.

You can find the thread here or just view the sticky.

I've been hearing about gods and trolls and the such.

I guess I'll just simplify to asking if there's actually going to be supernatural elements?

The things I heard about how gods can affect the in-game world was worrying to say the least.

I've been hearing about gods and trolls and the such.

I guess I'll just simplify to asking if there's actually going to be supernatural elements?

The things I heard about how gods can affect the in-game world was worrying to say the least.

There is an entire religion aspect to this world that we have planned to allow players to make their own religions and such.  Essentially, the Gods that could come up through this religion system would really only effect the Lore as well as potentially effect certain events we have planned for the future.  You won't see Gods roaming around normally causing problems or interfering with others.  There will be more information on this soon regarding making religions and Gods.

I like it. If I could offer one small criticism, the rulers of the foreign lands that many of the characters will claim to have come from tend to have names that are really difficult to pronounce and even harder to remember. Do you think it would be possible to make them a little easier? The gods names are fine, I think I can remember those. I'd also like to know a little bit more about the foreign lands and what makes them different from one another besides the trees or oceans, I want to know which ones are more war-like and which ones are more religious, what is different about their appearance or clothing or cultures.

I really like everything in there about Durrowsforth (including the name) and the gods, the forming of the island and the amazing description of Lumera's creation of the island. Great job!

I had a read and I must say it was well written but with an honest heart, I feel that the lore is more fantasy based theme than being realistic setting. I believe it could have unique ideas that the community can/could bring. But I still feel disappointment as I hoped for a more realistic setting. I feel that the Lore Team should have consulted with the community, what the community wants and work from that.

Question: are there any alternative lore settings discussed within the team? and if so, will the be presented? Asking the community for example by a poll what the want?

What are the visions of the team regarding the lore setting? And why have the made this choice?

I Also feel that the current lore is a bit too much too soon, too many introductions of kingdoms etc. Could things be more simplified? Mabey it is just me getting old :P

Edit:

TheMatt has some valid points if the team decide to continue its current lore setting.

Thank you and yes I can talk with the rest of the team about the names we were worried about it already that is why the key at the bottom. As for the other lands we left it open so that each player could create there own story however if there is enough of a want for more I could go deeper.

I had a read and I must say it was well written but with an honest heart, I feel that the lore is more fantasy based theme than being realistic setting. I believe it could have unique ideas that the community can/could bring. But I still feel disappointment as I hoped for a more realistic setting. I feel that the Lore Team should have consulted with the community, what the community wants and work from that.

Question: are there any alternative lore settings discussed within the team? and if so, will the be presented? Asking the community for example by a poll what the want?

What are the visions of the team regarding the lore setting? And why have the made this choice?

I Also feel that the current lore is a bit too much too soon, too many introductions of kingdoms etc. Could things be more simplified? Mabey it is just me getting old :P

Well the thing is LiF itself is set in a fantasy world, the island and any lore regarding the races are all fantasy. So why should we ground ourselves in a realistic setting, which would simply constrict our freedom in RP. In this way people will be able to be creative regarding backstories and where they have come from. There really is no draw back to a more fantasy universe aside from those who want to pull from history; instead of pulling from history texts people will just have to be creative.

Well the thing is LiF itself is set in a fantasy world, the island and any lore regarding the races are all fantasy. So why should we ground ourselves in a realistic setting, which would simply constrict our freedom in RP. In this way people will be able to be creative regarding backstories and where they have come from. There really is no draw back to a more fantasy universe aside from those who want to pull from history; instead of pulling from history texts people will just have to be creative.

Thank you for your fast reply, still, I feel going for a more realistic setting or a fantasy setting is a matter of taste and doesn't forget choice. Either way, what choice would have been made is people creativity is not held by a realistic or fantasy setting, it is just a direction. Like I said before I was really looking forward to seeing a direction going towards. Christianity, paganism, Viking setting.  I understand that LIF is not a realism game and fantasy based I still feel that we could introduce a more realistic setting.  Still awesome work on the writing. If you go for this direction I hope we can see more of the fractions, what the stand for, clothing, are the more evil or brave.

I agree with Shiro about wanting a more realistic Lore, personally because I wanted anything having to do with the supernatural to come down to 'He-said-She-said' and you really have to take your chances with a religion.

The fantasy setting is just way too fantasy. The idea that any belief system or mythology is actually validated doesn't need to affect and hinder the roleplay of others, but it has massive repercussions and consequences for the roleplay that happens, especially once one of your Divine Events occur. It entirely changes the religion dynamic and changes the place religion will play in the roleplay.

I was hoping anyone joining my church had to, in the end, take my word for it and take their chances because there is no actual way for me to prove that my god can help them or that they're prayers actually matter. Having an actual God changes that dynamic entirely, and actually puts us in service to these deities, who would also end up being controlled by someone else if they ended up involved in anything.

If I want to be a false religion, I have to go out of my way to not have a god, and thus brand it OOC as a false religion that isn't actually helping anyone.

And as much as we hope it weren't an issue, people are gunna metagame the shit out of this kind of stuff.

Edit: Gotta say, would be awesome if it all turned out to be an Ergot Outbreak and everyone was just trippin' balls. >:P

It's in the cookies, maaaaaan.

I think the slight whimsical elements of the lore along with the fantastical setting is overall a better choice. The lore is brief enough to have a lot of elements into it. Looking forward to this.

I'll be very honest and blunt with this one, as I tend to be. I feel that the lore is a little too generic and fantasy. The premise I get, but from what I'm reading (and some additional details that came to me through verbal interaction) this seems to be like something that kind of forces us into a window of accepting the truth and reality of this.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind some supernatural suggestion, but it should be the keyword here, suggestion. I've come to understand that at some point we might have physical manifestations of the very god described within the lore, something that would shatter any human bound and reason and would pretty much ruin many people's attempts at making their own religion, because why bother making your own religion when there's living, physical proof of a deity walking the earth we inhabit?

If it were up to me, I would just slightly tweak the lore. Make it sound like it's a old man telling a bunch of children a tale. "The legends tell of a war between two gods, vying for the love and affection of a beautiful goddess that is said to have shapen the world that we knew.", in that sense (like you did with the description of the island, before making it too real and physical again by stating things as if they were facts). Don't make it sound like it's something that actually happened, leave it open to suggestion, for each person to believe it or denounce the validity of it.

For me, LiF is about what humankind does. Everything, every inch will be shapen by human hands, through human intrigue on soil darkened with human blood. Religions, gods or the supernatural should be a belief, nothing more. Something that drives the people that believe as such to strive for their view of the perfect world, that could guarantee them a place in whatever version of heaven or hell they believe in. If you make the untouchable, the incomphrensible, the very things that go above and beyond human reasoning physical and real, it will mess with the very fabric of what we work for.

Maybe a bit ranty and jumbled, but that's my two cents. The rest of it seems decent enough, it leaves room for people to improvise where they are from and what their motives are.

If it were up to me, I would just slightly tweak the lore. Make it sound like it's a old man telling a bunch of children a tale. "The legends tell of a war between two gods, vying for the love and affection of a beautiful goddess that is said to have shapen the world that we knew."

^This

So much This.

For me, LiF is about what humankind does. Everything, every inch will be shapen by human hands, through human intrigue on soil darkened with human blood. Religions, gods or the supernatural should be a belief, nothing more. Something that drives the people that believe as such to strive for their view of the perfect world, that could guarantee them a place in whatever version of heaven or hell they believe in. If you make the untouchable, the incomphrensible, the very things that go above and beyond human reasoning physical and real, it will mess with the very fabric of what we work for.

Also ^This, This is good, too.

thanks for the feed back guys!!! well be marking it down and as I said in the thread we will be making changes.

The lore seems aight to me can be really open ended. For example no one knows that this has actually happened since its not in our time so you can percieve this as a tale or truth. Depending what you think ya know.

Edit: when is it coming. Like rough estimate. Like next week or next month.

The lore seems aight to me can be really open ended. For example no one knows that this has actually happened since its not in our time so you can percieve this as a tale or truth. Depending what you think ya know.

That's the best possible outcome, but the sad fact is that tons of people will metagame it just because the information is there.

And that this is what happened makes it not open-ended at all. That's the Truth. Heavens and Underworld and gods that wage war and fight over love and the everything that the humans know is a result of it.

Edit: Honestly, on top of everything, the gods are just too human and it all feels like a mythology that we're forced to live. It's the reason for everything, rather than a suggestion of why there even is an everything. The mythologies we have sound so painfully human because it was humans trying to justify how the world worked through the things we knew and thoughts ourselves.

I think the lore is headed the wrong way honestly. It's too specific and seems to want to cram facts down our throats. There's too many names and references that no one will ever take the time to learn to use in game. It leaves no leeway for players to expand on religion and beliefs and I feel it really limits the players. I was under the impression we would be playing in a much darker environment, this feels like LiF - Twilight Edition. I hope I'm not offending anyone but this is far from what I was expecting the lore to be.

I think the lore is headed the wrong way honestly. It's too specific and seems to want to cram facts down our throats. There's too many names and references that no one will ever take the time to learn to use in game. It leaves no leeway for players to expand on religion and beliefs and I feel it really limits the players. I was under the impression we would be playing in a much darker environment, this feels like LiF - Twilight Edition. I hope I'm not offending anyone but this is far from what I was expecting the lore to be.

Players certainly aren't limited with religion, we have a system where those who want and have enough people behind them can create their own religion.  I've mentioned in a previous post that we plan on expanding more into it on another thread (still being created).  We've created a base for people to go off of, it's up to the player if they want to use our base or not when it comes to religion.  We certainly aren't forcing people to follow these Gods we've created, we are giving them the option.  I don't see any limits here, but maybe we are just looking at things the wrong way.

To comment on the fantasy aspect of the Lore, we wanted to try something new compared to the simple realistic lore that we had before.  There is nothing stopping someone from creating something dark to fit in this world.

I'd be happy with viking style friendly lore, specifically with gods and life style.

Why are we using a fantasy setting? This is a hyper-realistic medieval game, to be honest Majkel's old lore was way more fitting, here it is if you hadn't seen it (I assume you have):

It is year 1020. After 5 years long epidemic of Black Death, more than half of the European population has perished. Those who survived decided to look for a new home, away from the deadly disease. A home which will give them hope of a new life. They gathered their families, packed all their belongings onto the ships and sailed away looking for a safer place.

After weeks of sailing some of the settlers noticed seagulls flying in the air. They were surprised by that because it's not normal in the middle of the Northern Sea. Birds in the middle of the sea can mean only one thing - some kind of land must be nearby. They followed the trace of birds and discovered an island. Low on supplies and tired of their journey, they decided to scout the island. They sent group of scouts in the row boats for the recon.

After 2 days scouts came back reporting that it looked like no one ever lived on the island before and that it was rich in natural resources. This virgin island was full of animals which can be hunted or tamed. Trees, plants and herbs of various types were growing everywhere. They also found clay, iron and many other natural deposits.

It looked like it was the best place they could ever find. A place where they can start their life from the beginning. That's why they named it Novi Orbis (New World). After they unloaded luggage on the land they proceed to build a simple harbor and a village for them and other travelers looking for safe haven to stay. Over a month of hard work later, they raised it and named it Perfugium (Harbor, Refuge, Asylum). Settlers decided to commemorate this event by minting their own coins. They were ready to welcome other survivors.

I feel as if we should use a real life setting from old times, it would fit the game more in all honesty.

Why are we using a fantasy setting? This is a hyper-realistic medieval game, to be honest Majkel's old lore was way more fitting, here it is if you hadn't seen it (I assume you have):

It is year 1020. After 5 years long epidemic of Black Death, more than half of the European population has perished. Those who survived decided to look for a new home, away from the deadly disease. A home which will give them hope of a new life. They gathered their families, packed all their belongings onto the ships and sailed away looking for a safer place.

After weeks of sailing some of the settlers noticed seagulls flying in the air. They were surprised by that because it's not normal in the middle of the Northern Sea. Birds in the middle of the sea can mean only one thing - some kind of land must be nearby. They followed the trace of birds and discovered an island. Low on supplies and tired of their journey, they decided to scout the island. They sent group of scouts in the row boats for the recon.

After 2 days scouts came back reporting that it looked like no one ever lived on the island before and that it was rich in natural resources. This virgin island was full of animals which can be hunted or tamed. Trees, plants and herbs of various types were growing everywhere. They also found clay, iron and many other natural deposits.

It looked like it was the best place they could ever find. A place where they can start their life from the beginning. That's why they named it Novi Orbis (New World). After they unloaded luggage on the land they proceed to build a simple harbor and a village for them and other travelers looking for safe haven to stay. Over a month of hard work later, they raised it and named it Perfugium (Harbor, Refuge, Asylum). Settlers decided to commemorate this event by minting their own coins. They were ready to welcome other survivors.

I feel as if we should use a real life setting from old times, it would fit the game more in all honesty.

I +1 to this.

Mainly on the basis realism, the lore above fits much better into a real life scenario. Another point is that the current lore that they have drawn up is just abit (my opinion) "lame", although unique yes. I just feel as though its gonna scare away people rather than draw them in

I understood yesterday that it was safe to say we had to accept the current lore. But seeing that many people feel the same way I feel. would it be possible to make a poll to hear opinions?

I understood yesterday that it was safe to say we had to accept the current lore. But seeing that many people feel the same way I feel. would it be possible to make a poll to hear opinions?

Currently we are sticking with the Lore we have because we want people to have some kind of background , you don't have to choose to use it but i have met many people who already are.  Anyone is welcome to Write up their own , and submit it .  Nothing is set in stone at the moment, and changes can be made.

A lot of the current Lore was used to explain the unrealistic issues in the game right now, Like a half blown up moon, No animals , blood red ocean at night.  A light fantasy aspect was what the Server Council decided we wanted to go with, Because everyone does the typical Norse Lore.  We wanted to try something different , wouldn't kill anyone right?

Tbh i think the lore is fine. It keeps it simple (apart from some of the names) and doesnt restrict how you can play.

I think the fantasy element to it works, it still leaves it open for any types of groups to form (viking etc).

In all id say it works and explains why the moon looks as it does whilst also giving a brief summary of the world. I mean skyrim and game of thrones are fantasy and they seem to work out well.

Tbh i think the lore is fine. It keeps it simple (apart from some of the names) and doesnt restrict how you can play.

I think the fantasy element to it works, it still leaves it open for any types of groups to form (viking etc).

In all id say it works and explains why the moon looks as it does whilst also giving a brief summary of the world. I mean skyrim and game of thrones are fantasy and they seem to work out well.

I agree ,  some of the names can be changed and adapted to be easier for people to say , which is why the lore team put the pronunciations on the thread.  

If you guys have suggestions of name changes or anything, Post them.  

you don't have to be afraid to help out !

Sign in to follow this