Server time: 2017-10-22, 23:04
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

optimizing fraps

Thumper    0

Any way to optimize fraps...I get 30 fps with most everything maxxed. Soon as I record it bottoms out.

Run a 6 core fx amd, geforce GTX 650 2 gig and 8 gig ram..should more than handle it.

Jukki    1

Uninstal it and get dxtory. Best way to optimize your recordings ;)

Guest Slip   
Guest Slip

^That, switched over to dxtory a few months back and never regretted it.

Toorrik    4

Switching to DXtory or Bandicam or other programs is the best way to optimize fraps.

RAMdisk is quite good, I used it a while back and it does make it a bit better.

^That, switched over to dxtory a few months back and never regretted it.

These, when you do, make sure you don't record onto the same HDD that the game is playing on as it'll lag it out and if you can split it over more than one HDD for the best quality.

Jukki    1

Dxtory can compres on the go too. It just depends on your settings and what codec you use

-KG-    0

First off i turned -OFF- "V-Sync" which you can find in your advanced graphics settings in-game.

I then downloaded a neat little program called Game booster(2.4 premium) Found here.

If you dont like/trust thepiratebay im sure you can find it somewhere else as well...

And finally i set fraps to record at 60fps instead of my previous 40, logic would say higher fps recording would be more taxing for the computer but no, it seems like the opposite actually.

Full registered Fraps can be found Here.

I also heard recording onto different HDD than the game itself is installed on helps, I am already doing that so I cant comment on that.

Flame    0

First off i turned -OFF- "V-Sync" which you can find in your advanced graphics settings in-game.

I then downloaded a neat little program called Game booster(2.4 premium) Found here.

If you dont like/trust thepiratebay im sure you can find it somewhere else as well...

And finally i set fraps to record at 60fps instead of my previous 40, logic would say higher fps recording would be more taxing for the computer but no, it seems like the opposite actually.

Full registered Fraps can be found Here.

I also heard recording onto different HDD than the game itself is installed on helps, I am already doing that so I cant comment on that.

I can confirm that GameBooster does indeed work a treat with fraps whilst recording and of course when you aren't recording and is also malware/spyware free. The developer (IOBit) has actually been partnered with Razer (PC Peripherals Company of course!) and they have a beta of it, it is now known as "Razer Game Booster" and is completely free.

I have been using Fraps for a while now with no problems, quality is great, etc but obviously the file sizes are ridiculous, not to mention I just have the one HDD as well that I record to and I don't have any framerate issues when recording. It just takes a little bit of playing around with your ingame options when recording, some people find that just recording in 1280x720 resolution help with their performance a lot when recording as it still still record in HD (720p).

Maybe it's just a matter of luck for whom it works for, I guess. But nonetheless give GameBooster a try and of course futter with your graphic settings, you may have to lower them a bit more as Arma II itself is quite CPU intensive which puts more strain on your CPU when recording with Fraps which of course also is a bit CPU intensive!

Hope this helps you a bit mate, and good luck with your videos =)

PsiSyndicate    16

Why do people still use FRAPS in the year 2013? Compared to Dxtory it has literally 0 advantages.

Muntz    3

I use Dxtory. My rig is not special whatsoever and I get a fps drop of 3-4 frames. Negligible. Dxtory is the only way to go. Get Dxtory, download the Lagarith Lossless Codec and you will be good to go :)

chronerion    0

^That, I don't have a high end pc and I'm able to record footage without problems though it's only 720p.

Thumper    0

Why do people still use FRAPS in the year 2013? Compared to Dxtory it has literally 0 advantages.

CAuse I already own fraps..have since like 2000 or when it came out. Im sorry that I am an old fart compared to some of you. My first internet was the VAX system. Thats how old I am...lol

Muntz    3

CAuse I already own fraps..have since like 2000 or when it came out. Im sorry that I am an old fart compared to some of you. My first internet was the VAX system. Thats how old I am...lol

From what I have heard, most people have significant FPS drops with fraps regardless of the settings they employ or the rig they have Obviously really high end rigs can deal with a fps drop. Most cannot. If you can get Dxtory do. If you can't.......God help you :P

Thumper    0

Ill pick it up tonight. I dont record as much as I use to, but the fps drop and size is getting ridiculous.

Muntz    3

A great video for optimising Dxtory for gaming can be found

The video also has some tips for splitting audio streams so you can edit TS/Game/You all individually. Handy if you have a noisy TS while you are doing something awesome. Or if you say something dumb :P. I've done that a few times......

Thumper    0

A great video for optimising Dxtory for gaming can be found

The video also has some tips for splitting audio streams so you can edit TS/Game/You all individually. Handy if you have a noisy TS while you are doing something awesome. Or if you say something dumb :P. I've done that a few times......

LOL, but that makes the best videos. Thanks everyone for the input. See you all in game.

Because you don't need that quick of an HDD in order to record with Fraps.

That said, I still wouldn't suggest it. I'd suggest MSI Afterburner.

retox    0

I go with OBS. Besides it'S (awsome) streaming functions, if can also do local recordings. I record to an external usb 3.0 HDD and besically get the same FPS like w/o recording, eventhough i record in full HD, high bitrate (if it matters) :D