Server time: 2017-10-18, 14:29
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
reesesaddict

Advice On Deepening Your Voice?

Question

reesesaddict    28

Any advice? I am 16 years old and I do struggle a bit with a higher pitched voice. It's not insane, in fact it isn't that bad, but it is enough that it hurts my RP. Any guides?

16 answers to this question

DeadKiller    0

Smoke a bunch of Cigarettes? No I'm joking please do not do that. My tip is rather than just strait tying to make your voice lower, try to imitate a character from a show or movie That's how I do it most of the time.

Glitch    15

Well your voice is your voice, sure people will say your character sounds younger than he is or whatever but who cares ya know just be you.

But if you are interested in lowering your voice for whatever reason you can do different accents. When I do a Russian accent my voice is naturally low compared to when I do an English accent as in the UK, that makes my voice reach to a higher tone. So different accents can affect the tone of your voice. Shaping your words to be more full could help too, for example if you say "cow" depending on where you are from you may pronounce it with lighter sounds like ka-ow, the a being the lighter letter where if you shape it to be fuller it would be kuh-ow, just give your words a fullness and roundness.

The best tip I can give that is recommended by Morgan Freeman (quoted from a tonight show with Morgan Freeman on it) "Yawn a lot."

I would just let it be until you get older.  You could use a voice changer but it might sound annoying.  Dusty has a high pitched voice and he's pretty old so you just gotta deal with your genetics I guess.  You could do voice training I guess and become a professional voice actor.  Then you can do anything!

Blitz    0

I find that wearing in-ear headphones helps with the accent I do, strange thing I know but it works for me and Iv tested it several times.

Papa Tachanka    46

Drink some dark roast coffee black and put some hair on your chest. No actually just speak with a deeper voice more often and exercise your vocal cords you will notice a difference.

GaryCash    33

Try to think in a deeper voice if possible that might help you master it

Aiko    646

Good Day!

So I haven been doing it a lot, but it could take some time for someone knew to playing and molding their voice. Ill give some tips that I have done for my characters.

Singing honestly is a very good way to help with your voice, giving you a wide range in vocal stretch for both low and high tones. Sing songs that you think would help match that particular voice, and slowly start talking like that instead. It sounds strange but it helps.

Mimic your favorite characters from TV shows, or video games. As someone else mentioned wearing earbuds helps him with voices, and I wear headphones with feedback. Not bad feedback, but so I can hear myself talk in the mic. I can hear what I sound like, and adjust accordingly. I have tried to copy Annie from league of legends. Along with other voices that I enjoyed over the years.

I also know that doing certain noises, like lip buzzing or growling even for a few minutes gives your voice that sound. Its your vocal cords adjusting, but it takes practice. It wont happen over night, but keep trying and I am sure you will do good.

Does this answer your question, or any of the others help you?

Ghoozovich    267

Sing (growl) along to Death Metal! That ought to do it.

In my honest opinion, if nothing works for lowering your voice, ditch that and attempt accents. If you feel like your higher pitched voice in your current natural accent sounds bad, try changing it up and you'll love the voice you make

Sasha    0

Pick up some bad habits at a young age. Then maybe you too will be asked if you're using a voicechanger twice a week.

Use your own voice, trying to make your own voice deeper generally doesn't work well and just sounds like you're trying to do a batman impression. And voicechangers generally suck. Your voice is fine. Work with it.

Husky    0

Pick up some bad habits at a young age. Then maybe you too will be asked if you're using a voicechanger twice a week.

Use your own voice, trying to make your own voice deeper generally doesn't work well and just sounds like you're trying to do a batman impression. And voicechangers generally suck. Your voice is fine. Work with it.

i_hug_that_feel.png

You and I know the feel too well.

There isn't really a whole lot you can do to make it deeper, at least not without trying, and it'll either sound like your voice is deep or painfully obvious that you're trying, there is only two ways it can really go, and you're either cursed by a deep voice like me and Sasha or not :(

Vector    0

Honestly just adjust your character to suit your voice. I would not try and force anything. You could risk damaging your vocal chords or sounding overly forced and that then destroying your RP. Embrace the voice you have and mold a character around your own ability.

I wouldn't get too hung up on becoming something you're not. Not many people can pull off a variety of voices, not to mention you might find you hear your RP voice in RL slipping through from time to time and that can lead to some interesting conversations.

Roman    0

Get a good microphone and a mixer, turn the low knobs up and speak close into the microphone.