Pieces of Logan Watts - Volume 1+2

Brakster    2

Contents

Volume One

Volume Two

A Shard of Logan: Savagery

Volume One

QwQoMDf.jpg

Waking from the cry of the morning rooster, Logan groans as he sits up. He glances over to the morning light and rubs his eyes. He hadn’t wanted to sleep rough in this apartment block but he wasn’t travelling through the town during the night. 

After collecting his gear, he prepared to move out when he heard a transmission from the Black Fox secure radio channel.

‘This is Jeremiah to all Black Fox, report to Camp Sierra immediately. I repeat, all Black Fox units, report to Camp Sierra immediately.’ He sighs audibly. ‘We have a problem.’

Logan took a deep breath in before exiting the building.

Luckily, the infected were more preoccupied with chasing wildlife and groaning than spotting Logan as he darted from cover to cover. He had a long journey and he’d rather do it in relative peace along the dirt roads.

He found his way into a town called Kabanino, wanting to pass straight through, he made haste but bumped into an eccentric looking man wearing only red clothing.

‘I like red!’ The man excitedly exclaimed.

‘I can see that…’ Logan scanned the man's entirely red clothed body.

‘Do you like red?’ The man asked.

Fearing what this lunatic might do if he said no, he replied: ‘Yes, I love red!’ The man replied by jumping excitedly before suddenly becoming very serious.

‘If you like red so much…’ His eyes scanned Logan up and down. ‘Why aren’t you wearing any red?’ He questioned.

Logan smiled and pulled up his trouser leg, revealing his sock. ‘Red socks!’

The man grinned back. ‘That’s not enough though, one second!’ He began rooting around in his backpack, which seemed to be filled with various red items. ‘Aha!’ He revealed a red bobble hat, thrusting it towards Logan. Timidly taking the hat, Logan kept his eyes fixed on the man’s unsettling face.

‘Now quick, put it on!’ The red man urged. Logan took his cap off and replaced it with the red hat.

‘Yeah! You’re my buddy now, always wear it, so me and my friends know you’re my buddy!’

‘Friends?’ Logan asked nervously.

‘Yeah, come out, guys!’ From the house behind him, 5 men armed with automatic rifles wearing clown masks appear, they nod in unison at him. Logan shudders.

‘Aww, don’t mind them, they’re just trying to be a bunch of clowns!’ The red man bursts into laughter. ‘On you go, buddy. Don’t let me keep ya!’ The man continues laughing hysterically as Logan moves onward, conscious of the clown’s eyes following him as he goes.

Whew, that was close Logan thinks to himself. Bloody lunatics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DdxvF5L.jpg

Logan climbs into bed and grabs a book from the bedside table. His wife glances over at him as he opens the book.

‘Did you have a good time seeing the guys again?’ His wife asks, smiling. He grunts back. Her eyes dig into his face with a sad expression.

‘Ever since you came back on leave, I hate to say it but you’ve been very distant.’ She waits for any kind of response. ‘Logan!’

‘I’m fine, don’t worry about me.’

‘But I do worry.’ She leans against the headboard and lets out a frustrated sigh. ‘The army’s not good for you…’

‘We’ve had this conversation befo-’

‘Logan, listen to me. Think of the little one.’ She lays a hand on her abdomen. He tries to formulate a response but he stops and sighs before rolling over and turning off his lamp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FTQn2G6.jpg

‘Hey! Watts, come over here!’ Logan glances over to see the Major beckoning him. Logan walks over and follows him into the tent. It’s filled with tables stacked with radios and monitoring equipment, radars. Small bursts of radio chatter spew out one of the radios.

‘Corporal’s got news of an attack.’

The corporal stands and takes over. ‘Yeah, an ambush, confirmed IED explosion and multiple taliban infantry.’

The Major turns to Logan. ‘Watts, take your squad along with Bravo to assist in the village, bail our guys out.’

‘Yes, sir.’ Logan says before leaving the tent and heading towards the barracks.

The vehicles’s engine roared as it tore its way towards the town.

‘So, what’s the deal, boss?’ The new guy who replaced him after his promotion asked.

‘It’s Sergeant, private. Everyone listen up!’ He banged on the metal shell of the car. ‘Simple search and destroy op. Some of our guys came under fire, IED got a vehicle, we’re bailing them out. Any questions?’ He smiles. ‘Good.’

‘Jones, take blue team and set up in a position covering red, we’re gonna go across the street, cover to cover. Contact is about a block from here’ The men hurriedly made it to their positions and signalled they were ready.

‘Let’s move it, red!’ Logan called, staying low and leading the way. Making it safely, he signalled blue across as red took positions covering them. They began to move and a bullet cracked past, followed by a distant report.

‘Sniper, find cover!’ Logan cried as a bullet blew dust off the wall and into his face.

‘Anyone got a bead on the fucker?’ A member of blue team screamed.

‘Yeah, three storey, end of the road, hundred and fifty metres, reference the fountain!’ A squad veteran, Baites, much admired by Logan called. Another shot came past and Logan ducked in response. ‘Lay down some suppressing fire!’ Logan ordered. A volley of shots followed his cry and he looked round towards Baites. His eyes filled with dread to see him stumbling backwards, gasping through a red river flowing from his neck. ‘No, no no!’ Logan rushed over and pressed his gloved hands to the wound. ‘Fuck, fuck. Medic!’ He cried. He couldn’t lose Baites, he was like a brother, no, more than that.

‘You fucking stay with me, solder!’ Logan yelled through tears. Baites moved a shaking hand from his neck and put it on Logan’s head, pulling it to his chest, embracing him. His chest stopped moving shortly after. Logan slowly sat up, grasping Baites’ hand and held back his tears as best he could after gazing upon his dead face. He leaned over, kissing him gently on the forehead. ‘I love you, Tom.’ He whispered near his ear before picking up his rifle and regrouping the squad.

Edited by Brakster

What kind of emotional rollercoaster have I departed on

You better keep writing these Braxter, these are top quality and I ain't joking when I say that

Aeryes    124

This is nice. I would just work on adding some art to it :)

William    398

Good read, perhaps some art to add to the quality?

Brakster    2

Volume Two

oCbba54.jpg

He chuckles as he pops open the top of the cigarette box. My last cigarette for my literal last cigarette. He jokes to himself, placing it between his bearded lips. Lighting it with a match, Logan tosses it off the apartment block, eyes following it down to the ground. He inhales from his cigarette deeply and closes his eyes. The smoke escapes his mouth and sails into the dimming sky.

The cigarette followed the path of the match and Logan steps forward towards the edge. Taking a deep breath and looking downwards, he chooses his ‘drop zone’.

‘Logan, we need you.’ A familiar voice says from behind, Logan grits his teeth.

‘You guys are all I have…’

‘I just...’ Logan manages, his voice trembling as a tear falls down his cheek. ‘Agh, hell.’ He hastily wipes his face.

‘Logan… I need you.’

Logan turns swiftly around to see nothing. The whistle and bite of the winter wind meet him and sting his streaming eyes. He recoils from the edge, hyperventilating. After letting out a roar of despair, he sinks to the floor, sobbing.

pRxnPU4.jpg

The cheers of the soldiers filled the camp. Logan appeared from a nearby tent, smiling.

‘Here he is!’ One of the men heartily shouted. The soldiers cheer in unison.

‘Drink up, boys!’ Logan ordered with a grin on his face. ‘Enjoy, lads, just make sure you wake up in the morning!’ He joked. They all laughed and Baites quietly approached Logan.

‘Congratulations on the promotion, sir.’ He extends a hand. Logan takes the hand and shakes it. ‘I told you to call me Logan.’

‘Sorry…’ Baites offered a nervous smile.

‘’Ey, Sergeant! How about a speech?’ A soldier grabbed Logan’s shoulder and turned him around. Logan tried to gracefully decline but he insists.

‘Come on boys!’

‘Speech, speech, speech, speech…’

‘Fine, alright!’

The group all rested their eyes on Logan’s anxiously shifting figure. He chuckles in embarrassment before clearing his throat.

‘Well, uhm, I’ve never been so good at speeches but I just wanted to say that you men are like my family… y’know, James’d be my son who can’t stay out of trouble and Harry here would be the daughter who couldn’t go out unless she did her hair…’ He pauses, laughing with them. ‘A-and my wife’d be Tom.’ He says only half jokingly, making eye contact with Baites briefly. ‘Anyway, I’m just trying to say, I love you guys.’ Logan finishes. The men begin to mock him with ‘Awwww’s.

‘Knock it off and enjoy the drinks!’ Logan cheers. The soldiers cheer and take swigs from their drinks.

Logan yawns and begins to retreat back to his quarters.

‘Logan?’

He turns to see Baites jogging up to him.

‘What’s up, Baites?’

‘I’m not much of a party guy, would you mind if I just talked to you for a bit?’

‘It’d be my pleasure, let’s go to my quarters.’ Logan goes to turn.

‘Uh, Logan?’

‘Mm?’

‘Call me Tom.’ He said with a smile.

KdFG3if.jpg

Logan grabbed the shopping cart and entered the supermarket, heart racing. People were taking whole shelves of items into their carts and whatever they were using for storage. He rushed to the canned food section immediately, most of it was gone but it was enough for his family.

After taking what was left, he turned the corner towards the pharmacy. Two men were attempting to bust down the locked door. Logan shoved his way in front and kicked it open. Grabbing a small paper bag, he filled it with as much medicine as possible. He returned to the cart and wheeled it out quickly to his only friend in Iceland, John.

‘I found backpacks, Logan.’

‘Good, good. Here, you take half, I’ll take half, let’s get these back.’

The two filled the packs and swiftly moved through the panicked streets, pressing forward to get home.

John shouted in pain as he was struck in the shoulder with a baseball bat. Three masked men emerged from an alleyway.

‘You sons of bitches!’ Logan growled, charging at the nearest one who pulled a knife from his jacket. Logan launched a strike towards his face and made contact with a satisfying crunch. Following up with a fist to the throat, Logan sent the man reeling backwards, choking and clutching his neck.

Logan grunted as a baseball bat made contact along his upper back. He fell with a thud on his front. The man who struck him was extremely muscular and seemed to be the one in charge. He ordered the other man who had restrained John in Icelandic. He rushed over and tried to remove the backpack from Logan’s back. Logan leapt upwards, elbowing the baseball bat man in the crotch, causing him to drop the bat. The other man wearing a hoodie and bandana attempted a punch at Logan but he riposted with a kick in his torso. As soon as the man regained his stability, Logan smashed the bat into his face, creating a grim crunch and sending the man’s bandana flying off his face, revealing his broken and slack jaw.

The red cloth had come over Logan’s eyes as he stood with John, facing the other two men, all ignoring the approaching police sirens. John made the first move, launching a swing at his opposite combatant. Logan followed up straight after on his opponent, who dodged backwards away from his bat. He gazed at John, seeing him struggle underneath the man against a car. Launching a fierce hit towards the robber, the bat splintered and bent as Logan felt the man’s skull crack open. Logan’s enemy grabbed his arms from behind and threw him to the floor then slammed John twice in the face. Logan roared as he jumped on the man’s back, biting into his neck and tearing a chunk, clutched in his teeth, from the man’s nape. Blood sprayed on Logan’s face as he fell onto his backside. The man was screeching in pain but managed to focus on Logan and leapt towards him. The sirens were getting closer, merely a block or two away. The man pinned Logan and began to strangle him. He fought back, pushing the man’s arms off his neck and knocking him in the face.

‘John!’ Logan exclaimed, pushing against the man’s arms, hands clutching for his throat. ‘Take the stuff back, I’ll catch up!’

John promptly took the bags and sprinted down the street. Logan just hoped he would be faithful to him and his family.

Using his momentum to flip the man on his back, Logan kept the man’s arms down with his knees as he pounded his face repeatedly, blood making his visage indiscernible. The sirens were coming towards them down the road. Logan stood up from the bloodied man and retrieved the half broken baseball bat. He pulled the man up to his knees, stood behind him and jammed the bat underneath the man’s chin. Closing his eyes, he snapped the man’s neck and let his corpse fall to the floor.

The sirens hurt his ears as the sound of screeching tires brought him back to reality and lifting the red cloth from his eyes. Eyes widening as he beheld what he had done, he glanced towards the vehicles that had stopped, their lights showing only the silhouettes of men as they stepped out and took aim at him, shouting something in Icelandic. Logan didn’t know what they said but he understood. Dropping the bat, he placed his hands on his head and got on his knees. A single tear fell down his face as they shackled him with the handcuffs.

Edited by Brakster

Caloom    0

Seriously love this writing man. Can't wait to read more and see what else is to come :D

Good writing pal :)

I'll come back for more!

Brakster    2

A Shard of Logan

FWkdZ4w.jpg

He had been here before. Stood over three people, panting. Blood oozing from the gashes on his face, clotting in his beard. He had to get out. He had to get back to his family.

What family? A voice in his head mocked. Have you seen what you've done? Think they'll want you back?

Logan gritted his teeth. This place was turning him savage. But without savagery, would you still be here? 

Logan pondered this for a moment. Maybe he'd have to forget how it was, to protect his family. He looked to the corpses. Empty bullet casings lay next to them along with a hunting knife, still clinging to the intestines of the man he had eviscerated. Kneeling down, Logan retreives the knife from the entrails and slides it into his knife holster.

He was determined not to lose himself. Perhaps he already had. He cared not, as long as he kept his family safe. It was time to return home, that's what matters. He had to get back to his family.

Edited by Brakster

Only just got around to reading all of these, good stuff here Brakster keep them coming