Server time: 2017-10-18, 02:18
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Haggis

OAP Group

Please don't get offended if you are 16-19 however i've found that personally the immaturity of this age group and the helium filled voices are ruining my experience a little. I also find myself biting my tongue OOC as my brain isn't renowned for having a very good filter and half the time all you youngsters are speaking in a language i don't even understand.

Being that i'm now 30+ OOC and generally play characters on the wrong side of 45 (as they have more depth and story to tell) is anyone interested in making a group for the older generation like myself? That's not to say i would stop the younger folk joining but they would have to IC as an older character and pass rigorous trials on TS to ensure they had required levels of maturity. All the salty children creating reports 3 times a week and taking things too seriously has worn thin for me.

I have a basic concept drawn up, group would be called the Elders or the Council of Elders and could open up some new RP avenues, characters would all have an area of expertise, masters of their craft etc.

Anyone out there who is interested drop me a PM and we can discuss ideas then take it from there.

Sofie    0

My experience with immature people in this community has not been determined by their age. I know many who are 16-19 who have the voice and mentality of an adult, while we got 30+ who act like they are in high school. But I do understand where you are coming from. It is always nice to be with people you feel like have the same view on things as yourself. Maybe you could create the group yourself if enough people are interested? If not I'm sure there are groups out there that you would find more mature than your previous experience. 

No matter what happens, good luck. I would love to see an elderly group.

Totally get where you are coming from regarding the age, that's why it would be more gauged on their attitude, maturity in teamspeak and the RP. The group would not necessarily be based on the age of the player, rather their willingness to portray an older character. As a result they would need to have a deeper understanding of their character, more eclectic and experienced. Also salty OOC behaviour would be an absolute no, this is the thing that drives me crazy about RP, people need to separate their characters from themselves, find the younger generation really don't take too kindly to being put in handcuffs and kicked around a forest where as those with a bit more maturity will play along and then congratulate you on the fun hostile RP afterward.

I have a done a fair bit on the concept, if there is decent interest i might very well think about starting my own group however due to work commitments and having just bought a new house i can't do it on my own, simply wouldn't have the time at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sofie    0

-snip-

All groups are looking for members that have those qualities. Nobody wants people around them who spit salt and take everything that happens in character to heart. However, those qualities are rare and you sometimes just need to accept dealing with people that annoy you ;)

Running a group without close friends to help you, takes a lot of time. For the time being while you wait for interest among others, I would work on the group idea and perfect it.

Plank    0

When I read the thread title, I thought of this...

imagesCAJXCIHM.jpg

But seriously I get what you're saying, but here's what I've found from some 18 years of online gaming and 28 years of life; people are gobshites. They are terrible. The worst. With that said, I know people (like Jabba, for instance) who are in their late teens that have more emotional maturity and common sense than some of my friends who are in their thirties.

Age can be a factor in people's maturity, sure. But if you're a wank at that age, there's a good chance you're still going to be a wank ten years later. :P

Anyway, the group idea is neat and I wish you well with it. I may even check it out in the future!

Wumby    0

Are we thinkin elderly? Like needs help up the stairs? Because I have a character who needs helped up stairs and I'll tell ya, it's a hoot and a half.

reesesaddict    28

I understand where you are coming from in this situation, but you are putting the entire age group of 16-19 in a bad light. Some guys who are in that age group are not all that bad. I'm 16 and I know that I might have a higher pitched voice than others, but I am working on my voice for the sake of myself and others for RP reasons. I think the idea is a good one, but the community is already struggling with a "divided community," doing this would make there more separation between older and younger players which we already need less of if we want younger players, the majority of new players, to become better at RP and feel more welcome in this community.

Gosh'darn whipper snappers and there memes.

What's a meme? :D

Totally agree with all the replies in one way or another. As i said it's not about dividing the community, more about gathering players who like to play mature characters, would say the main character base would be at least 30+ years of age (Can be played by anyone as long as they stick to character). Would in itself attract players who are looking for more mature RP and i'm less likely to inadvertently offend half the radio channel or feel out of touch when one of these new age internet words catch me out wondering what the fuck people are talking about.

Been in a few RP situations recently where it's made me feel really old and out of place as i play a 46 year old sadistic cannibal but 90% of the people he bumps into are playing teenagers or early 20's at most. Personally i feel it's easier to build a char profile and backstory if you play an older character as he would have been through all sorts in life.

I understand where you are coming from in this situation, but you are putting the entire age group of 16-19 in a bad light. Some guys who are in that age group are not all that bad. I'm 16 and I know that I might have a higher pitched voice than others, but I am working on my voice for the sake of myself and others for RP reasons. I think the idea is a good one, but the community is already struggling with a "divided community," doing this would make there more separation between older and younger players which we already need less of if we want younger players, the majority of new players, to become better at RP and feel more welcome in this community.

At 16 i was an arsehole and nothings changed but you definitely relax and take things less seriously as you get older. A lot easier to upset a 16 year old than it is with someone who's learned to ignore it. Hormones flying around at that age and from what i've seen the younger the player the saltier their OOC behaviour when things don't go their way. Saying all that my best friends on here are all 25 or under and by no measurement would i call myself mature for my age, just wish i wasn't the only older character in game as in a real apocalypse type scenario the veterans would be running the show imo.

Look at the walking dead as an example, could you see Carl Grimes bossing Abraham, Glen or Rick around?

Are we thinkin elderly? Like needs help up the stairs? Because I have a character who needs helped up stairs and I'll tell ya, it's a hoot and a half.

More midlife crisis / post menopause and older. Although the way i plan on RPing it there would be the shamans / tribal elders who would impart their extra life experience on the younger crew. They would be needing help to make it to the toilet yes.

Jango    47

whip out the knick knacks, rope and raisin candy

reesesaddict    28

Gosh'darn whipper snappers and there memes.

What's a meme? :D

Totally agree with all the replies in one way or another. As i said it's not about dividing the community, more about gathering players who like to play mature characters, would say the main character base would be at least 30+ years of age (Can be played by anyone as long as they stick to character). Would in itself attract players who are looking for more mature RP and i'm less likely to inadvertently offend half the radio channel or feel out of touch when one of these new age internet words catch me out wondering what the fuck people are talking about.

Been in a few RP situations recently where it's made me feel really old and out of place as i play a 46 year old sadistic cannibal but 90% of the people he bumps into are playing teenagers or early 20's at most. Personally i feel it's easier to build a char profile and backstory if you play an older character as he would have been through all sorts in life.

At 16 i was an arsehole and nothings changed but you definitely relax and take things less seriously as you get older. A lot easier to upset a 16 year old than it is with someone who's learned to ignore it. Hormones flying around at that age and from what i've seen the younger the player the saltier their OOC behaviour when things don't go their way. Saying all that my best friends on here are all 25 or under and by no measurement would i call myself mature for my age, just wish i wasn't the only older character in game as in a real apocalypse type scenario the veterans would be running the show imo.

Look at the walking dead as an example, could you see Carl Grimes bossing Abraham, Glen or Rick around?

More midlife crisis / post menopause and older. Although the way i plan on RPing it there would be the shamans / tribal elders who would impart their extra life experience on the younger crew. They would be needing help to make it to the toilet yes.

Point taken. I definitely struggle with being salty occasionally, but I work very hard on being more relaxed.

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-W-I-P-Zinovy-Old-Men

Reminds me of Joffrey's Zinovy. Elderly of Chernarus unite?

Hope he wont mind if i steal a few ideas from this. Exactly the type of thing i'm talking about, be interesting to bump into an old war vet or tales from someones past, sure it would give a few people on here an excuse to try out a new voice. I was contemplating a dirty grandpa type character although i fear that would get me into too much trouble.

I'm 18 years old and I'm offended.

jk lol

You can do whatever you want with your group, whatever floats your boat.  I'm curious on what type of maturity test you have in mind though.  I think everyone has their own test when accepting people in a group they have never met before, it's called talking to them.  Then once you get to know people if you don't like them you can go separate ways, it's pretty neat.  So some people don't like people because they are immature and some people don't like other people because they are too serious all the time.  

"All the salty children creating reports 3 times a week and taking things too seriously has worn thin for me."

I wouldn't say those are strictly children lol, there are a lot of angry people in this community for no reason really.  When it comes to people I think it applies to everyone that they should not become so absorbed in some online forum where everything that happens to them is the end of the world.

Yeah on reflection i'm being unkind to the teens here and sounding like an old man. Cheers for the midlife crisis dayzrp.

Maturity test would be you don't talk about school for a whole evening, not one mention, will make current mental breakdown worse, may buy another sports car.

swilly    13

This sounds like an incredibly unique and diverse group, From the sounds of it anyway. However, like most people have said, it is just people man, maturity level is complete shit from certain individuals when it comes to any age group. The thing about younger people and why they exhibit the behavior more often, I believe, is that they do not have the life experiences to clearly evaluate the consequences, in most cases anyway.