Server time: 2017-10-20, 03:20
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Zar

Bring an element of fear

Zar    5

How many of us are there that is missing a little something..... missing the anxiety of a permadeath to our character/s.

I know this was touched on in an earlier post (Valid Execution Rights=Forced PermaDeath) below but felt I would like to start a new post to get fellow member's opinion on my suggestion below. Many time to add to a thread that has several pages not every reads every post and thereby your suggestion is not seen by many.

In order to bring a little realism and maybe some fear in this community we should have a scenario where a character can be permakilledwhether you like it or not. Nothing like a bit of adrenaline pumping while running for your life with bullets flying knowing if you die now it is bye bye character.

My proposal is as follows:

We have a wounded system whereby any wounded character if killed has to be permakilled. Now before everyone jumps on their high horse and states they will perma when it suits them and no one else please read to the end and then provide constructive criticism.

The wounded system works as follows:

To be declared a wounded your death has to be reported on the forum by the person or group that killed you. This has to be reported within say 60min or 90min of the kill. If not reported at all or not within the required timeframe your character is not classified as wounded.

if the report is valid your character has a wounded status for 3 day (can be more) and if killed again in this period and your kill is reported you have to delete your character.

Now you have a few options available to you

1. Do not play for 3 days - not likely gonna happen

2. Play, go into hiding with your character, medical RP do what ever you need to do to keep safe

3. Go balls to the wall and place your character in hostile situation knowing if he dies its bye bye

4. Play with an alt character but know the same wounded fate can await your alt and you may have 2 alts wounded in the same period.

What RP does this open?

Groups at war can now go on man hunts and try and kill off wounded enemies. The wounded can go into hiding medical RP if they wish. Imagine a group where there are 2 or three wounded in a compound and their fellow members defending the compound knowing that if they lose the wounded may be permakilled if they are killed again. Obviously killing a compliant hostage or a rule break (RDM KOS) will not result in a perma death.

What issues can this possibly resolve?

there have been recent complaints that some groups continuously attack others almost daily, kills are traded but the attacks do not stop. The wounded system has the possibility to reduce frequency of attacks as the attackers may choose to keep their characters out of harms way for 3 days if they were wounded. The defenders might also be more open to surrender knowing they have wounded. This will push game play to a more RP level than a PVP fight day after day.

Tis is just an example. The horseman attack blackwood, kills are traded and the logs are posted after the fight and the wounded are named. It seems the leader of Blackwood is wounded. The Horseman have two options, keep their wounded safe and stay away for 3 days or go on a man hunt for Blackwood's leader and go for the permakill. Blackwood now have a little incentive to keep their leader safe and either in hiding or under heavy guard.

this can go the other way as well. the northern alliance is tired of hostilities from Newmoon, firefight breaks out and NM leader is killed and a few others, kills are posted and characters are deemed to be wounded. The NA can now go on the offensive and hunt the wounded and go for the kill to perma them and in this way reduce NM numbers for a short while.

So anyway guys let me know what you think.

Dishes    159

I can already give this a big no. We should never force anyone to permadeath their own character, that decision always rests on them.

Also the topic of, "Bringing fear back to the game" was already discussed here: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Putting-real-danger-back-into-the-game

But to give your idea some real feedback, I can see a lot of major issues from this. Not only is the first sentence in this reply valid, but it would be difficult to actually even enforce. The game doesn't tell you who you actually killed, what if you didn't know their name? Or they gave you a fake name? 

You also list "man hunts" as a good thing for RP? How is hunting someone, after you already kill them and they spawn back at the coast, good for RP? It would just lead to a lot of OOC actions and issues, it would turn more into a death match really while the "wounded" person couldn't even remember what happened due to the NLR, which would be unfair. You also say how killing a character on a rule break would not be valid for a permadeath? Do you know how many reports would be coming up then when someone tries to permadeath them? Soooo many people would be trying to falsify themselves being permadeathed it would be ridiculous. If you want to do medical RP, or RP going into hiding, you can still easily do it without this rule. Let me add, it would also be really annoying for GMs to have to pull up logs for every single death on the server daily.

Now the example of what issue you say this would resolve...

For the first one, I guarantee you it will not reduce constant attacks. People who want to play bandit characters (I'm not saying its a bad thing) will continue playing the same way they always have. Really, this would probably kill more RP then it would really create from this because people would just start making "killable characters", characters that have hardly the same amount of work put into them and the player doesn't care if they die or not.

I think I can sum this all up with a giant no. I understand what you are trying to achieve with this, I really do, but this isn't the way to do it.

Rolle    2950

Only the character owner should be allowed to kill their character. Anything else, regardless of method used will result in abuse and OOC hunt on other peoples characters.

Sofie    0

You suggest that we make a thread where people can write down the names of people they have wounded, so others can look at it and know that those characters that have been wounded within the last 3 days will have to perma if they kill them in-game? Sounds like it will be easily metagamed. Realistically it doesn't matter since you should be able to see that their characters are wounded because of limping or other visible signs of pain. However, there are no rules forcing people to do medical roleplay. I honestly think this will cause more drama and unnecessary reports. The people in this community that refuse to perma their characters will always find a way to avoid this rule.

I'm all in for making it scarier with permas as results from putting yourself in too much danger. That is why I am a member of Our Harbor. I think the only thing that can be done is encourage people to think differently:

You are not the main character in a movie. It is understandable that you have a script in your head that you wish to play out. But sometimes things will not go your way and you need to learn to accept that and move on. Let your characters die when it fits the situation that plays out in-game, NOT when it fits the situation that you dreamed of. 

The Traveler    137

Not wanting to be negative but most of this just encourages OOC abuse me thinks.

Personally though, im not gonna throw the whole idea out just because one of the parts of it was bad.

Having a X day wait period to play a character after being killed IG would be pretty cool and add more fear to death + encourage people to play more than one character and in turn experience more of what DayZRP has to offer :)

So + 1 to that one tiny bit of the suggestion ---> having a an X hour / day cooldown on playing a character after you are killed IG to represent being wounded.

:)

Nihoolious    1248

Loophole: Keep playing throwaway alts until the timer is done. That alone makes this actually interesting system unuseable. Let's be honest, no one would play fair in this sort of thing and it's a shame because it ruins it for everyone else. I'm all for more consequences coming from hostile actions but there is too much OOC in the game at the moment for something serious like this to be done.

Frosty    0

I don't need to be "Forced" to permanently kill my character in order to feel fear. That's up to you if you think that will scare you, and get the adrenaline pumping. You don't need to make a rule to "Force" people into doing something that they can do themselves.

Keedz    0

As someone who gets involved in alote of fire fights its a BIG NO from me , because sometimes you die without any rp ( not complying perhaps ) so its kinda not worth the perma.

Perahps change it into geting executed 2 or 3 times in the timeframe of a week.

Also +1 about the ooc thing you said Nihoolious

Chernov    0

Fear has been dead in this community for a long time, and it won't be back any time soon if at all. It's the same thing over and over, and even though that thing is good a lot of the time, it gets boring as does everything else we repay too long.

All the faults in your system I could think of were posted already.

*repeat

I <3 auto correct

Para    312

No. I will get on my high horse and say that i'm permadeathing my characters when I see a fitting end. This is too easy to abuse and causes way more problems than it solves.

Bran    0

Stopped reading at "permakilledwhether you like it or not."

Hell nah, I mean feel free to do that if you want but it shouldn't be forced. I like Hardcore RP but that's too much

Grimnir    662

No. Was stated multiple times why not.

The Buddha    24

I am all for permadeath, personally. But not the wound system. The "You're dead" screen should mean just that.

If you are the type to get involved in fire fights, then death is going to come quickly and without any reward, well, that's all on you and your decisions to get involved in fire fights. You know the risks of such a life style, it is your choice to carry out those actions, so dying by those actions is your choice.

With the way the rules are, the only way you can be in a life or death situation is if you put yourself into one. By doing so you are then opening yourself up to the possibility that will be the last action you ever do. So if you hear gunshots and run towards them, then get hit by a bullet, who's fault is it?

I have been in a community where character death = permadeath I.e. No memory of anything from that past life (exceptions were made for glitch deaths and for deaths resulting from a breach of rules by the attacker) There was no consequences to RP, not even the "hostile" types. In fact it created more RP as when people died and created a new character, it brought out more variants of RP. It also helps people grow their RP skills by not limiting themselves to one character, bringing them back from the dead after getting a face full of bullets and their brains plastered all over a tree... cause If I saw that happen to my friend in real life, of course I would expect to see them half an hour later, as if nothing ever happened.

The fact that perma death is off the cards limits RP in my eyes. If someone dies in front of me in game... what do I do? Do I mourn them? Do I freak out? Are they really dead, or will they come back from the dead all zombie like but not a zombie at all... My roleplay of the situation has to be postponed till I know what is happening with that character. If I ever do.... Which, chances are I never will or be a long time till I meet them again... so what... do I just ignore it ever happened, like the person who died has to? Pretty much yes, yes I do, even though I am wearing their blood on my clothes for hours, days... months... I am hindered in my roleplay. Hell, I can't even try to revive the person, as I would ultimately have to say they are dead (my character was a prepper and did many first aid courses, travelled from UK to Charnarus on foot, with other preppers, many of whom died. He is a hunter too. So he knows how to tell the living and dead apart.) Only to meet the dead person later, to my character that would equal zombie, and be fully justified in shooting them in the head.

What roleplay can come from that?

Me: "I did CPR on you for 30 minutes, I checked your vitals, I buried your corpse I even covered your grave in large rocks to preserve you from scavengers... I kept a visual over your grave for a further day in case you turned. YOU ARE DEAD!"

Guy who was killed: "Oh that... ummmm... reasons?"

Nope I just have to walk away, cause for all I know that same character is running up from the coast, and should I ever meet the character again... well see above interaction.

I was thinking something like this last night.

Could be a hardcore rules server with more lenient rules as to when you can perma-death and perma-scar people. Although you would get people abusing the less stringent rules so would have to be long standing members or a further white-listing process.

Personally if someone requests to scar or kill my character i already automatically give them permission out of courtesy as they normally have a good reason and as someone said refusing can lead to awkward encounters further down the line.

Cipher    0

I was pretty much done at "if killed again in this period and your kill is reported you have to delete your character" to be honest.

Big Ole -1 from me, don't want no say in if my character dies.

kinda reminded me of

"Kill confirmed, tango down. Mission accomplished." *rips dog tags off dead guy*

tbh

After reading in its entirety imma just -1 this. There are some things I agree with but I dont like the idea of people man hunting someone down just to kill off their character.

Zar    5

Hi all, thanks for the constructive criticism and your explanations why such a rule would not work. Some points I had not considered.

After reading all the responses I have come to the following conclusion:

Your character is your character and you should have the right to say when a perma is on the cards. I guess if you want the adrenaline then create a character with an agreement to yourself that any kill other than being dayzeed will be perma death.