Server time: 2017-08-23, 23:06

Sign in to follow this  

Powergaming

Question

In this verdict, could the issuing GameMasters please point out where the rule was broken?

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-RDM-in-Stary-Sobor-30-10-2016?pid=1622972#pid1622972

Here is the rule for reference:

24ae17c249.png

While they didn't ask permission to nail the dude to the tree, they gave him the option to roleplay it out or not. This effectively nullified the 'forcing' aspect as presented in the rule.

The reason for this is the real life damaging effect nailing someone to a tree would cause. Do we now have to seek permission to shoot each other? Do you realise the lasting and damaging effect bullets have on human tissue? Yet, we do not force people to roleplay scars or injuries from gun shots. 

You realise the lasting effects of mental abuse? Do we now need to ask permission to scream and yell at people?

They gave them the option to roleplay it. So, where was the rule break?

66 answers to this question

The report wasn't made for powrrgaming and it was role played out. That's like me role playing an execution and he reports me for CL and I get banned fro rdm even though he was satisfied with the execution and the rp called for it. Seems like they just kinda fucked the guy tbh.

Tony    614

This right here is why I immediately make it clear in a hostage situation that I consent to everything, so I in no way hinder the captors RP. The DayZRP definition of power gaming I feel is pretty much exclusive to DayZ roleplay environments. In a text based format, generally if someone finds themselves restrained, there's no realistic way they can prevent anything happening to them and thus power gaming is never brought into question. Generally people pull consent purely on death or limb removal, provided there's no such thing as magic limb reattachment.

The difference between these environments however is that generally in a text based world there is magic or the likes which instantly makes everything better, so something like this would never be questioned. In DayZ we do not have that luxury. However I feel it is completely over the top that even scarring requires consent from people.

To question something as a scar makes me question the ability as a roleplayer, considering the environment and world you are in. When you allow OOC influence to dictate the direction of roleplay itself, it is in fact a form of reverse meta gaming. Whilst yes character attachment plays a big part of this, it makes for a poor roleplay experience in my opinion.

-Snip-

Thank you ... i actually agree but im not gonna apeal because were will it actually go

Rolle    2473

Hmm, that is indeed strange since the person was given a choice whether the situation would leave any permanent damage or not. But now when I think about it if it were allowed it could lead to situations like

*chops both arms off with an axe*

// it's up to you if this really happens

If you know what I mean

-snip-

But the difference here is it was a small nail through his finger and he was given the option where or not he had the scar that may possible of been left

Hmm, that is indeed strange since the person was given a choice whether the situation would leave any permanent damage or not. But now when I think about it if it were allowed it could lead to situations like

*chops both arms off with an axe*

// it's up to you if this really happens

If you know what I mean

While thats a valid issue...that would be plain badrp, and punishable. This was actually pretty neat and original..too bad they were punished for it.

-Snip-

Thank you ... i actually agree but im not gonna apeal because were will it actually go

Don't know till you appeal.   You literally have nothing to lose and everything to gain by making an appeal.

Goku    61

Well you have to look at it this way, when the OP runs into him again how does he pass off any remarks about his Hans not having holes in them? Just because someone says 'do what you want' doesn't excuse the fact that they broke a rule.

+

If the injury wasn't going to mean anything serious why do it at all? Seems like a poor choice of things to do if it means nothing.

Tony    614

Yeah Rolle I get that entirely. I think it's better if we could redefine it to 'permanent impairment' over 'permanent scarring'. I mean are peoples perfect super model, untouched faces really that important to them in a zombie apocalypse? Come on guys haha.

Well you have to look at it this way, when the OP runs into him again how does he pass off any remarks about his Hans not having holes in them? Just because someone says 'do what you want' doesn't excuse the fact that they broke a rule.

+

If the injury wasn't going to mean anything serious why do it at all? Seems like a poor choice of things to do if it means nothing.

Please show us where the rule was broken...when the explicitly says 'force' and noone forced any thing upon any one.

-snip-

Its the psychological damage it does that is the point ... One of the clowns goals is to spread fear

Storm    203

Small nail through the finger? Fuck off. Without permission, you roleplayed out nailing his hand to a tree. You at no point mentioned a finger. If someone hammers a fucking nail through your hand of course it would leave a scar. I'm sorry, but this is power gaming in my eyes.

+

I mean the same can be said when you shoot up said person in a firefight.   It's like saying how did you survive a whole drum mag ?   I see sticking a nail in a hand as minor and if it was warranted then the person receiving should be a good sport about it.   It's not like his face was mangled due to edgy kids for no reason.

DarkSide    234

I see it as powergaming. Why? They nailed him on a tree with nails. They are forcing someone to RP out that they are nailed to a tree. The nails are breaking muscle skin and possibly bone. They did not say you can roleplay this as they said and I quote "//it's up to you if this leaves a perm scar". They didn't ask permission to nail him to a tree. The forced him to roleplay this out.

Oliv    1572

Keep in mind everyone, that this is currently a question thread.

My view on this was if you have to, after the fact, give them the ability to ignore the permascar that could be associated with this, then clearly there was the possibility to permascar. There are more ways to crucify some one than just by nailing their limbs to something.

This is the whole asking forgiveness rather than permission thing.

For the record, I was involved in the verdict, so I hope my answer falls in line with your request for the issuing game master to reply as I was at least a part of the team that was involved.

The amount of ooc permission needed nowadays is retarded to say the least. Next year, we'll need ooc permission to rob someone and take them hostage for an hour. This instance wasn't powergaming, especially when they were clearly given a choice in the permanent status. Verbal warning maybe would have been fine, but a full 3 days? lolno

I'm all for realism. But let's be real. People get shot with a 7.62 in the leg they ain't walking for a long time. Yet they get up 3 seconds later and become Usain bolt. I'm sure a nail in the hand will be fine.

Keep in mind everyone, that this is currently a question thread.

My view on this was if you have to, after the fact, give them the ability to ignore the permascar that could be associated with this, then clearly there was the possibility to permascar. There are more ways to crucify some one than just by nailing their limbs to something.

This is the whole asking forgiveness rather than permission thing.

For the record, I was involved in the verdict, so I hope my answer falls in line with your request for the issuing game master to reply as I was at least a part of the team that was involved.

The question then becomes; where in the powergaming rule does it say that express permission must be sought to cause harm to an individual? They say ooc that its up to him to permascar or not, thus eleviating the 'forced' . He is not.forced to roleplay anything at this point. Are we required to seek permission to emote hitting people with baseball bats to the head or knees, or shooting people in the legs? No, so why is this any different?

Tony    614

It seems there is a lot of division here. Would it not be best to have this as a subject open for discussion in say the suggestions board rather than here? Wrong environment.

Storm    203

The amount of ooc permission needed nowadays is retarded to say the least. Next year, we'll need ooc permission to rob someone and take them hostage for an hour. This instance wasn't powergaming, especially when they were clearly given a choice in the permanent status. Verbal warning maybe would have been fine, but a full 3 days? lolno

Yeh, because a nail through the hand wouldn't leave a scar. I'm pretty sure you've always needed permission to permenantly scar someone. As an ex admin, I thought you would understand that.

And a verbal? Nah. In this report a community member was banned for slicing a thin layer of skin. This guy hammered a nail through someones hand. Why would one warrant a 3 day and another warrant a verbal?

Yeh, because a nail through the hand wouldn't leave a scar. I'm pretty sure you've always needed permission to permenantly scar someone. As an ex admin, I thought you would understand that.

And a verbal? Nah. In this report a community member was banned for slicing a thin layer of skin. This guy hammered a nail through someones hand. Why would one warrent a 3 day and another warrent a verbal?

That was almost a year ago or Id make a thread about that poor verdict as well. Oh well. Punishing people for rules they didnt break is never a good thing.

5.56 and 7.62 scar just as bad as nails, if not worse. The amount of firefights I've gotten into, the amount of people I've killed without "//it's up to you if this scars or not", I should be permabanned by now

So I ask, what's the difference between a bullet wound and a nail through the hand? They both cause a significant amount of muscle and skin damage.

And a verbal? Nah. In this report a community member was banned for slicing a thin layer of skin. This guy hammered a nail through someones hand. Why would one warrent a 3 day and another warrent a verbal?

Honestly, you wanna try and pull that card? Perhaps as an "ex GM" you also understand that the report you linked has no weight when it comes to the topic being discussed. This shit isn't powergaming, plain and simple. I wasn't involved in that report you linked either so perhaps you could ask the ones involved to explain it.

Saradomin    360

Snip

So now we cant "force" people to do stuff? If i catch and torture someone i can not force them to feel any pain? I mean that is just bad rp... I can not emote kick someone because that would "force" them to feel pain? If i rob someone can I not tie them up because its forceing them to rp tied up? Please explain.

And to the question itself, in my opinion it was NOT powergame. They could just rp out that the scars heald fast. Easy.

I see it as Powergaming since I can't imagine not to get (at least) scars from it.

The only thing I don't agree with in this report is, if the victim didn't see an issue, the accused shouldn't be punished.

I had the same happening to me. I got captured, crucified without getting asked for permission and the same OOC statement afterwards (//your choice if you want to rp it out). But I didn't complain or report anyone because it's really not that big of an issue.