Server time: 2017-08-18, 22:15

Sign in to follow this  
Joules

How a Nuclear War Would Play Out

Joules    226

So I got bored to all high hell one night and I stumbled on this video. There will apparently be a new version on the 9th so when that comes out I'll post it here too. Personally, I think the person who created this did a damn good job showing how a conflict can become exacerbated so quickly, and if someone decides small scale nuclear detonations isn't a big deal...

[video=youtube]

How the video above unfolds

1. Breaking news - Early reports are the Russian jets were fired upon by Turkish Naval Vessels.

2. Two US Cruisers are reported to be in the region. Unconfirmed reports that Russian navy has retaliated against NATO vessels.

3. 50,000 NATO troops ordered to deploy along the Russian border. Likewise, all military leave is suspended and all UK military forces are mobilized.

4. Two US warships reported to be damaged, and one vessel being sunk. US President condemns Putin.

5. HMS enters the area to assist NATO in the fight against Russian Navy

6. Russian Black Sea Fleet spotted in the Aegean Sea. 

7. HMS Submarines depart from ports in Portsmouth and Faslane. NATO Central Command confirms over 200 troops killed.

8. Royal Family evacuated to outside of London.

9. Russian Heavy Cruiser Kirov attacked by an HMS vessel. It is severely damaged. The HMS Duncan is sunk by Russian Missiles.

10. State of Emergency is declared in the UK. Government prepares for a state of war. Central government is suspended.

11. Russian troop movements reported in Ukraine. Odessa is occupied.

12. Crisis theorized as being a planned one by Russia.

13. Russian frigate Admiral Grigorovich is sunk. Parliament is evacuated. Large detonations reported off the coast of Syria.

14. Estonia and Latvia invaded by 75,000 Russian troops. Troops move quickly toward the capitals. Poland declares state of emergency. DEFCON 2 declared.

15. US President and Senior staff evacuated to Air Force One. Russia attacks Riga, Latvia. Contact with NATO with multiple NATO warships is lost.

16. Casualty reports exceed over 2,500 NATO troops. 

17. Reports are used that nuclear tipped torpedoes used against NATO supply ships. Russia attacks Poland and begins an invasion.

18. Early warning radar systems in Alaska, Yorkshire, and Greenland are reported to have been attacked and destroyed by Russian Submarines.

19. Tactical nuclear weapons used against advancing Russian troops in eastern Poland. Russian city of Kaliningrad is reported to have been destroyed by a Trident Nuclear Missile (triggering Russian dead man switch?)

20. Reports of Russian city wide evacuations. RAF Flyingdales in North York Moors hit by nuclear missile.

21. Nuclear detonation reported on the outskirts of Frankfurt, Germany. NATO Headquarters in Brussels destroyed by Nuclear missile.

22. EMERGENCY ANNOUNCEMENT. Confirmed reports of Nuclear attack recieved. Missiles are on their way to London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Glasgow, Belfast, Crewe, Newcastle, Cardiff, Oxford, Sheffield, Plymouth, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Derby, Bradford, Coventry, Folkestone, Swansea, Northampton, Bristol, Preston, Ipswich, Barrow-in-Furness, Leicester, Carlisle, Lancaster, Dover, Perth, Fort William, Faslane, Hull, Southampton, Cambridge, and Newport. All major airports and military bases are also targets. - Attack warning red - Detonation

[spoiler=mapoftargets]d3674c2112.png

Estimated killed by blasts - ~8 million. ~10 million injured. All numbers are done using the Topol 800 KT Nuclear warhead.

I found this Nuclear target map of the US. I am inclined to agree with the predicted targets.

usa-nuclear-targets-map.jpg

I figured this thread could be a grand discussion about the prospect of nuclear war. Oh, and maybe even have the thread include survivability. I did a little bit of work on simulating an attack via online websites, and I think the area I'm in now would survive just fine, depending on the direction of the wind, and depending if the other state in the conflict cares or not to nuke the old Air Force Base. If they did nuke the AFB,  we would be affected (depending on the size of the warhead) only by the thermal radiation (or affected not at all).

Any thoughts?

Also if you are interested in a made for TV film released in 1983, I give you "The Day After"

[video=youtube]

And here is the post air dicussion that happened on ABC's Viewpoint

[video=youtube]

Mr Shank    22

Exactly like this

[video=youtube]

Seriously though, I think I would be more or less ok because I don't really see a reason as to why anyone would nuke Australia. We don't really pose a threat to any country by ourselves so what would be the point? Plus not to meantion we are so spread out that a nuke wouldn't really be very effective.

Joules    226

-snip-

Seriously though, I think I would be more or less ok because I don't really see a reason as to why anyone would nuke Australia. We don't really pose a threat to any country by ourselves so what would be the point? Plus not to meantion we are so spread out that a nuke wouldn't really be very effective.

It could be possible that Australia would be avoided, but it also could be possible that you may be able to say RIP Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne.

*shrugs*

Australia is something I didn't put enough thought into.

Fafnir    31

Live in Michigan so probably one be would sent in the area if that ever happened due to large amount of fresh water, a few military bases, two nuclear power plants, Detroit and Chicago nearby. Doubt anything large scale would ever happen but hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Noones gonna nuke the heartland of Canada lol, Taking the east out, maybe.

Mr Shank    22

-snip-

RIP Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne.

Meh fuck em, they're on the East coast and I'm just chilling here in the West.

Joules    226

Live in Michigan so probably one be would sent in the area if that ever happened due to large amount of fresh water, a few military bases, two nuclear power plants, Detroit and Chicago nearby. Doubt anything large scale would ever happen but hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Are you say you live in Michigan or I live in Michigan (because I do, Upper Peninsula). 

Michigan is a large plot of land. I can see a nuke being dropped as far north as Camp Grayling. I don't know if anyone would bother with Traverse City.

Oh yeah, Detroit and Lansing are RIP in the event of a nuclear conflict.

Fafnir    31

Are you say you live in Michigan or I live in Michigan (because I do, Upper Peninsula). 

Oh meant I live Michigan, I live around Grand Rapids for college and live further down at Kalamazoo when not at college.

Joules    226

Oh meant I live Michigan, I live around Grand Rapids for college and live further down at Kalamazoo when not at college.

Oh yeah you'd be RIP, or at least you have a very good chance of being RIP if it were to happen.

Don't mind me, I'll just be chillin' in the tundra up here.

Apparently even if WWIII happened during the cold war, we would probably have been fine even though the AFB was still nearby. According to my Professor, he ended up (once the USSR fell) finding documents showing that the USSR thought that the AFB was actually in Lake Superior. GG Russia... GG.

Joules    226

Technically the advice isn't all that bad, but if you are within the fireball radius it really won't mean a damn thing. I can only see this being any effective if you're on the outskirts of the air blast radius.

Fafnir    31

Yeah pretty sure it was mostly for protecting from the blinding light that could cause harm if looking at it and possible damage to the building you were in.

Alex    451

-snip-

It could be possible that Australia would be avoided, but it also could be possible that you may be able to say RIP Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne.

*shrugs*

Well, no not necessarily those cities - if a country wanted to *hypothetically* cripple AUS, they'd attack Melbourne, Sydney, ACT, and Darwin. Why? Military installations (ACT for political). Brisbane doesn't have any and neither does Perth, afaik. (Source: friends in military).

Joules    226

-snip-

*shrugs*

Well, no not necessarily those cities - if a country wanted to *hypothetically* cripple AUS, they'd attack Melbourne, Sydney, ACT, and Darwin. Why? Military installations (ACT for political). Brisbane doesn't have any and neither does Perth, afaik. (Source: friends in military).

Shit... I forgot about Darwin. I actually knew that one. lol

Mr Shank    22

-snip-

*shrugs*

You do realize that the SAS are based in Perth right?

Alex    451

*shrugs*

Perth probably too then  - I was mainly referring to standard Armed Forces, other stuff I have no idea about. Pre sure about brisbane though.

*shrugs*

Brisbane has an air base amongst other things and I am sure Adelaide has average military installations plus they make vehicles.

Yeah there ain't gonna be a nuclear war, if one goes off they all go off. Alliance system chain ftw!

Joules    226

Updated the OP to have a timeline of the events of the video, as well as a map of the target locations listed at the end of the video +estimated casualties purely due to the blasts itself.

EDIT

Also added a US Nuclear target map that I found online. Also added a film link to the movie The Day After.

GaryCash    23

I think this thread just gave me a stomach ulcer

These are the things i do my best to spend time not thinking about

Scooter    50

Oh yeah, Detroit and Lansing are RIP in the event of a nuclear conflict.

:(

Please no nuke us Putin

Dingoz    41

Perth probably too then  - I was mainly referring to standard Armed Forces, other stuff I have no idea about. Pre sure about brisbane though.

Mate, Enoggera barracks is in Brisbane. 1st Divisions HQ is there along with 7th and 11th Brigade and the 16th Aviation Brigade. It's one of Australia's biggest military bases.

Joules    226

I think this thread just gave me a stomach ulcer

These are the things i do my best to spend time not thinking about

I wouldn't dwell on it, but it's something to at least keep in mind. Also keep in mind that humans are cockroaches. I doubt a world wide nuclear war would actually make us extinct. We would find some way to survive.

Also, I find some fun in thinking about how these things can escalate WAY too fast. IDK I'm weird I guess.

Davos    5

Honestly, the survivability rate of this type of escalation is low. You will have a few hours to prepare and evacuate to locations that are far enough away from prime targets, but with the number and size of the available nuclear arsenal to multiple countries, I doubt they are only targeting main and secondary targets. They will be targeting population centers too which means your best bet is deep in the mountains where you can avoid as much of the radiation as possible.

After the initial explosions, the lack of consumer electronics from all of the em pulses being released, and the massive amounts of residual radiation that will still be in the air, flora, fauna, and groundwater it would take a miracle to escape alive except if you are lucky enough to be a rural community not near any sort of major city or military installation.

If the missiles get fired, we are all screwed. Except maybe parts of South America, Africa, Antarctica, and possibly parts of the U.S, Russia, and Canada. But whatever is left won't be worth much.