Server time: 2017-10-18, 16:43
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
MGGenao

Valid Execution Rights=Forced PermaDeath

MGGenao    0

So something on my mind after a conversation about consequences:

What consequence is there for someone if they get captured? I don't have to consent to perma death or perma scarring so in theory I could antagonize a person or collective or people without any real IC consequences. No one is making me RP pain or injuries. I think if a person or group has valid execution rights, they should be able to impose permadeath on their enemies assuming it is valid AND Rp'd out well. Not just, you're an enemy lul heres a perma!

I know this is a touchy subject but TBH probably only for those people who abuse the rules to continue to be a menace to others knowing their character doesn't have to die even if they got domed in the head after a valid execution. To be clear, Im not endorsing this for random glitch or zombie deaths or even firefights but for hostile RP between enemies.

Example: Say Person A was attacked by person B and tortured or his community was. If person A finds and captures Person B on his terms and detains them and has valid cause for execution, he should be allowed to perma Person B provided the RP is quality and meaningful. Perhaps more guidelines are required to help clarify what grants valid execution rights for this type of rule.

Think about it though, in real life, you have a person who has menaced you and/or your friends and you have them in your clutches, what incentive is there to release them? Why not execute them and end the threat here and there? But then with the current rules, why execute them if it doesn't mean anything without a perma but why would my character in turn let them go?

WilliAM    431

Although I get what you're saying, and I think it would sort of be cool in some instances, I don't think it should be added into this community. This is supposed to be a nice easy fun roleplay server, not a life simulation game. People can spend an immense amount of hours creating a good backstory and progressing their character, all to have it ruined by an enemy.

If you have always had a long time enemy, and you feel as if your character should be PK'd by that group to add to the RP, by all means do it. But this is your decision, and it should stay like that. Not the other groups, not your friends, yours. It's borderline power gaming if your enemies all of a sudden decide to perma kill your character that you have had fun with for a long time. It would just make the server not as fun in my opinion, with the glooming threat of your character being perma killed for an event that potentially happened months ago.

I cannot +1 this enough.

I am a very realistic and immersive RP'er and as such I want there to be a real element of consequence to the environment. Now I always impose this upon myself. If I am captured and executed in front of others, then I must emphasise that you have earned that kill. Matter of fact, I don't play by consent. If I am in handcuffs and it makes sense for bad things to happen to my character... I don't care what you do. I immediately make it clear I consent to 'everything'.

To have me running around with memory loss a day after I am hung, drawn and quartered in front of say 10 people, then in that moment I have completely obliterated the immersion and realism for all those involved.

The element of risk is removed from RP, value for life is hindered by the OOC knowledge that I do not have to take the death, and thus, subconsciously the play style is affected in a negative way.

You get shot in fire fight, fine. Zombie kills you? Fine. But if you are handcuffed, and point blank executed... that should be the end right there. I am an advocate for bringing this realism into roleplay.

Hex    31

While it would certainly be more realistic, the matter of 'is this fun' comes into play. While I don't mind it, I'd generally say no as there are already plenty of hostilities involving execution rights and it would be simply messy.

No for now but a possibility after the lore wipe?

While I see what you're trying to go for, I still think it should be left to the people if they want to perma-death or not. What I love about this community is the freedom of how I want to play my character(s) in a serious RP fashion and how no one can take that away from me other than myself. Restricting this freedom by enabling the chance to have someone else perma-death you is very close to the lines of power-gaming if not over the line. At the end of the day the people who play their character(s) should have the right to decide whether or not their character(s) die or not, it shouldn't be anyone else's decision.

Skinner    499

No. Hell no. Heeeelllllll nah. My character is my character, my story. You can influence it, you can be a part of it, you can watch it unfold, but don't presume to think you are entitled to tell me when or how the story ends. I know you have the best of intentions and want to make RP realistic but I could not disagree more.

Nihoolious    1248

What may be a valid death to someone is not to another. It would be amazing if more people perma deathed but through this method the idea of a valid execution is too subjective. And if this was enforces people would have more throwaway characters with no back story or development because they know it is going to perma die eventually.

Frosty    0

While I see what you're trying to go for, I still think it should be left to the people if they want to perma-death or not. What I love about this community is the freedom of how I want to play my character(s) in a serious RP fashion and how no one can take that away from me other than myself. Restricting this freedom by enabling the chance to have someone else perma-death you is very close to the lines of power-gaming if not over the line. At the end of the day the people who play their character(s) should have the right to decide whether or not their character(s) die or not, it shouldn't be anyone else's decision.

This ^

I see where you're coming from, but it should be up to the player if they want to permanently kill their character. Sure it's weird, but It should be my decision whether or not I want to kill off one of my characters, like Scottie for instance. Some of us have grown very attached to our characters, and if they were killed forever, it would be hard on us OOC. That's why I've kept around Scottie. Just my opinion.

Jack the Ripper    339

Okay lets set the scene. Group takes a player hostage, a player that has been antagonizing them for a while now. Hostage refuses to allow perma-death. Fine, it's up to him whether or not he wants to perma his character. Hostage refuses to allow perma-scars. Fair enough, it is up to him whether he wants his character to become scarred. Hostage continues to antagonize his captors with the knowledge that he cannot be harmed or killed. This is BadRP, and honestly, if somebody did this to me, I'd shoot them.

Refusing to perma-death is fine. We're all here to have fun, and if people have fun playing as their current character, far be it for anyone to take that away from them. However people should act in game as if they are UNAWARE that the rules protect them. When you're out there RPing, you're no longer playing a game. You ARE your character. ACT like it. And if you get shot on legit terms and don't want to perma? Shelf the character for a while or RP out serious injuries.

I think that Perma-death rights is something that should be discussed and agreed upon by ALL involved parties, OOC, BEFOREHAND. I've granted Perma-death rights to specific people, but they either have no reason to kill me yet, or stopped playing after a while. I get where you're coming from, about consequences for one's actions, but I think it's less about there BEING consequences, and more about a persons ability to ACT as if there are always consequences. A lot of IC decision making comes from the OOC knowledge that they are practically immortal, and OOC knowledge should have NO impact on your characters decisions (aside from the rules of course, no mass homicides in Kabanino please.)

Rampage    0

I think after a certain number of executions, let's say three from the same group, you should perm your character.

Faith    727

No matter what people say here I -1 this.

Some people don't have enough proof for valid execution rights and qill abuse the fact to do so.

I think I'' good but nice suggestion though.

MGGenao    0

I respect everyone's opinions but tbh alot of the reasons against these rules are the exact reason for them. Too many people place their characters on a pedestal and as such the thought of someone killing their precious toons is inconceivable. I should elaborate more to say not after one shitty situation or two that technically grants execution rights and not just a simple capture and execution but if the hostilities are serious enough, the threat serious enough and the multiple interactions are there and if the RP is quality then the perma should stand. This should also be appeable. If the victim feels it was invalid and has video evidence to show it's invalid then the appeal process should be there. As it stands WAYYYY too many people play as if they're some immortal god or untouchable deity. It's RP which stands for roleplay and that role is a survivor, people should act more like it and a looming threat of a death that is out of your control should be reflected in how people interact with each other.

Frosty    0

There will always be the bad apples who spoil the whole bunch my friend. Tons of us play our characters realistically and act how our characters would act in a hostile situation, cautiously. A lot of people think they can act invincible and the only way to stop them from doing this, is your suggestion... But we should not ruin all the good people experiences because of the bad apples. IMO.

Clumsy    226

I find that anyone could come up with what they think are valid execution rights. To this I would have to say no to. Now if you get executed, as Rampage had said, three or more times then perhaps it's time to retire that character and move on. While I think adding something like this would make people rethink what they do with their character for fear of being killed off permanently, I find that it should still be up to the person about what happens to their character. Some people put a lot of time and effort into their character and I know for me it was hard to kill off a few of them myself.

One thing that I would like to see fixed, and I heard it may be brought up on the new site, is people bringing back their perma deathed characters. I've seen people hold funerals IG for characters and it effected a lot of people ICly and then they decide they want to play that character again and just bring them back from the dead.

ChilliVanilli    65

So something on my mind after a conversation about consequences:

What consequence is there for someone if they get captured? I don't have to consent to perma death or perma scarring so in theory I could antagonize a person or collective or people without any real IC consequences. No one is making me RP pain or injuries. I think if a person or group has valid execution rights, they should be able to impose permadeath on their enemies assuming it is valid AND Rp'd out well. Not just, you're an enemy lul heres a perma!

I know this is a touchy subject but TBH probably only for those people who abuse the rules to continue to be a menace to others knowing their character doesn't have to die even if they got domed in the head after a valid execution. To be clear, Im not endorsing this for random glitch or zombie deaths or even firefights but for hostile RP between enemies.

Example: Say Person A was attacked by person B and tortured or his community was. If person A finds and captures Person B on his terms and detains them and has valid cause for execution, he should be allowed to perma Person B provided the RP is quality and meaningful. Perhaps more guidelines are required to help clarify what grants valid execution rights for this type of rule.

Think about it though, in real life, you have a person who has menaced you and/or your friends and you have them in your clutches, what incentive is there to release them? Why not execute them and end the threat here and there? But then with the current rules, why execute them if it doesn't mean anything without a perma but why would my character in turn let them go?

no thank you!!!! i have seen this in another community, its not a good thing, trust me.

Hollows    450

Honestly, I can understand where you're coming from and in certain situations, I can even come to agree with you but for the most part, I'd have to say no and be against it.

As stated prior, this is my character that I've spent a great deal creating. I've spent almost two solid years on the same character, and the only person who should logically be able to close his story should be me. I would be beyond livid if I had to stop playing Tate because someone used the rules to force me to permadeath, that in its own would be powergaming. I feel like nobody should be killing anyone (Outside of firefights) unless it's consensual, that way there won't be the awkward," I executed this guy last week and here he is, mugging me." I think that would solve the issue, in my opinion.

MGGenao    0

Again all the reasons people give for why not is why it should. We get so attached that we would almost never willingly part with our toons and as such never permadeath no matter how many reasons we should and how many reasons we give to our enemies to execute us. If people put time and effort to their characters and knew there was a risk of permanent death then they would act accordingly. While Rampage's suggestion is a good middle ground, some people may then take advantage and hide their toons as to avoid the inevitable outcome and use proxy toons to enforce the will of their "hidden" toon.

Castiel    1124

I could not agree more.

Nobody permadeaths. I understand it is up to the player when their character dies but this should not be the case imo. If group A and group B have ongoing hostilities for say, a month or two, so they have execution rights (both parties aware) and members of group A manage to capture group B's leader. If they decide to use their validly gained execution rights, it does not make sense to me why someone would not perma.

In DayZRP it is always your choice to die (besides rulebreaks) you either insert yourself into hostile RP by taking hostages / getting into a firefight or you decide not to comply. It's very easy to never die in role play. However without permadeath there is no fear, no consequence and frankly no point in groups being at war with eachother. Because in theory it will never end.

Most people will disagree because they have played their character for several months, maybe even several years and understandably they grow attached to said character and their development / relationships - their story. What a lot of people don't seem to realise is that this is a community of literally thousands of people. Not everything is about your character. Hundreds of people log onto the servers every day to progress their character's story and enjoy role play. But where does it end?

Your character is just one single person in South Zagoria, the entire narrative of DayZRP and it's ongoing "story" does not and will not revolve around one single person. Everybody dies at some point, people aren't invincible.

I know far too many people are against this for it to ever be implemented but next time you die in-game, be it in a firefight, an execution or hell even starvation. Take a minute to think "What if my character died right there?" the death of your character, while of course it would be sad for you since you have grown fond of playing him/her it will open so many opportunities for role play for the people around you. I think a lot of the reason role play is "stale" recently is due to this. Instead of your friend dying in a firefight and you going to the coast to pick them up and having that awkward "I got injured", "I just headed South for a quick trip" role play - you could mourn them. If a friend of yours died you would be infuriated and upset. It opens a lot of opportunities for role play when people die and it is a true shame that barely anyone ever does.

MGGenao    0

I could not agree more.

Nobody permadeaths. I understand it is up to the player when their character dies but this should not be the case imo. If group A and group B have ongoing hostilities for say, a month or two, so they have execution rights (both parties aware) and members of group A manage to capture group B's leader. If they decide to use their validly gained execution rights, it does not make sense to me why someone would not perma.

In DayZRP it is always your choice to die (besides rulebreaks) you either insert yourself into hostile RP by taking hostages / getting into a firefight or you decide not to comply. It's very easy to never die in role play. However without permadeath there is no fear, no consequence and frankly no point in groups being at war with eachother. Because in theory it will never end.

Most people will disagree because they have played their character for several months, maybe even several years and understandably they grow attached to said character and their development / relationships - their story. What a lot of people don't seem to realise is that this is a community of literally thousands of people. Not everything is about your character. Hundreds of people log onto the servers every day to progress their character's story and enjoy role play. But where does it end?

Your character is just one single person in South Zagoria, the entire narrative of DayZRP and it's ongoing "story" does not and will not revolve around one single person. Everybody dies at some point, people aren't invincible.

I know far too many people are against this for it to ever be implemented but next time you die in-game, be it in a firefight, an execution or hell even starvation. Take a minute to think "What if my character died right there?" the death of your character, while of course it would be sad for you since you have grown fond of playing him/her it will open so many opportunities for role play for the people around you. I think a lot of the reason role play is "stale" recently is due to this. Instead of your friend dying in a firefight and you going to the coast to pick them up and having that awkward "I got injured", "I just headed South for a quick trip" role play - you could mourn them. If a friend of yours died you would be infuriated and upset. It opens a lot of opportunities for role play when people die and it is a true shame that barely anyone ever does.

Basically what I was trying to say but better said. I know for a fact that when my first chracter perma deathed, it had a lasting impact on my friends. Many of them even hated my new toon because it wasn't the original and missed my first character. This is the kind of RP we need more of and hostile RP these days are very stale back and forths with no clear ends defined.

I get people get attached to their characters but that's why you need to put more value on their actions and how you approach the situations you find yourself in. If you enter into a hostile situation, the reasoning should be grave and well considered.

IMHO, permadeath should be enforced PERIOD in a RP community. With that being said, it wouldn't really change anything because first, the people who are usually in favor of permadeath are people who prioritize RP over PvP and would like to see it implemented so that players who like to throw away their soulless shells for a bit of an adrenaline rush think twice about it. Second, those players who like to PvP while sheltering themselves under the no KoS rule wouldn't really be affected because to them it would be the same as jumping on an alt to avoid consequences of past actions. It would just mean playing the same character with the same voice, same attitude, same goals, just a different name and another meat bag to throw away into a firefight. In the end, the people who would like permadeath to be implemented would be the ones most negatively affected by the rule.

Castiel    1124

-

The people who were close with my first character Vlad still talk about him and mention him today, and he died this Summer (June, I think). Sure, I miss playing him sometimes but the amount of character development and storylines that have come from his death make me far happier than the thought of still playing him after everything he went through, it would be unrealistic and cheap.

Frosty    0

Coming from someone who's permanently killed two very well made, and very heavy character developed characters. I still think it should be up to "Us" not you or anyone else to end the storyline. If the RP is good enough, I would think of killing one of my favorite characters, but that usually never happens. Sadly this topic has been brought up over three times, and the community has to be 100% for it, or it will never happen.

Mental    0

I could not agree more.

This right here is the truth. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I could not agree more.

Another reply to this, because this right here... is written by someone who understands roleplay.

"My Character!" "My story!" "Me me me." I am sorry and I don't mean to take a dig at anyone who has said this, I get it, I do. You like your character, it is YOUR character. But those of us on the other side of the fence, we also like our characters and put effort into them. I support this because I have a respect to the environment around me. I respect the immersed world, I respect other characters realistic surroundings. I respect the roleplay itself... all of this, above my own individual character.

Sure you're going to get people who want to perma you through bullshit means, heck we have that right now, but if it doesn't make sense then there should be a limitation on that. But if your character has went out there and started a cult on sacrificing live babies to the god of macaroni, then your character has that death coming. If you are a hostage who has sat there and shit talked a group of cannibal serial killers during the roleplay, then I have no sympathy, you should be perma'd. However if you are executed on the grounds alone to prevent revenge, when you have complied and what not, then that should not be allowed.

When you take the world around you into consideration in your roleplay, enough to SUBMIT to that world and not have that world submit to you, then you have transcended in my view to a higher standard of roleplayer.

Fox    0

I don't know about that. Realisticly, yes, you wouldn't have a choice and if someone puts a bullet in your head, you die.

But this is a roleplay community. No one should force you to perma your character. 3 hostile encounters happen faster then one thinks and suddenly someone has execution rights on you (and the right to powergame your death?).

At the end of the day, it is my character and my decission when to perma it. If the right moment comes and it feels right, I will perma. But I don't want to let anyone perma my character because some rule gives someone the right to do that for me.