Server time: 2017-08-23, 14:07

Sign in to follow this  
The Traveler

A foundation for implementing settlement rules {Community WIP}

The Traveler    120

Due to settlements becoming more common nowadays (+ omg there is a map for dayzrp now thank you staff! <3) I feel it's time to bring and old but gold idea back into the new public eye! 

This is the FOUNDATION of an idea, and can be built upon and changed... but I think it could be a great starting point for better settlements and POTENTIALLY solving the "harass or get harrased till we / they / both of us are bored and the settlement disbands or the bandit group moves on to someone else to harass" cycle. 

NOTE: Due to it being an old idea (Like 12 months old) there may be things not took into account, that is the point of this thread, to build upon the idea with new info / ways people do things now.

Settlement's Resources of Trade idea: (An idea revolving around the encouragement of travelling across the map and making more dynamic banditry / trading that rewards players who do not just camp a settlement for safety / potential mass robberies.) 

How would you lot feel about Settlements having to be put on the forums in the same way groups are, and said settlements need to include in their description their main resource of trade (What they "sell") and what they mostly look for (what they "buy" ), whilst they could potentially sell anything, it would be encouraged by the settlement owners to have caravans only buy roughly what they are looking for, and for traders to sell what they mainly sell... 

This would allow for other settlements to be built around backstories of other resources of trade (E.G: One near Cherno focusing on Selling Medical supplies / food, whilst looking to buy military gear due to it's closeness to a city with two hospitals, whilst also getting used to high quality military loot from the balota air strip, but the airfield has become quite dry of supplies as of late, hence the need to trade for ammo and weapons and such) ...

Along with that Caravans of traders could go and buy materials from one settlement, and go sell it at another (Go buy medical supplies from one settlement in exchange for say clothing, and then go to the Cherno settlement to trade for weapons ect ect) ...

-It encourages travel around the map

-It encourages bandits to set up road blocks as opposed to camping settlements (making settlement attacks a much bigger deal, perhaps having some requisites for full on settlement raids to happen?  [E.G: Had to have road block / efforts against said settlement for x days before attacking or camping it out.] ) ...

-It encourages more settlements to be built (Medical settlements, Vehicle Repair Settlements, Military Supply settlements ect ect) 

-Encourages more diverse groups (Trading groups, Hero groups to protect civies become more than just "go hold up bandits" ect ect) 

-All in all encourages landmarks of post apocalypse society across the entire of Chernarus.

No settlement rules. Make a settlement if you want, but this is the apocalypse, there are dangerous edge lords out there. Gotta deal with it.

No settlement rules. Make a settlement if you want, but this is the apocalypse, there are dangerous edge lords out there. Gotta deal with it.

Settlement rules are a meh in my books, we need something along the lines of CR rules for these "Large camps", as to how they were back in mod. Would help stop random people from just running in and being toxic, and encourage rp.

I like the whole idea of the settlement group threads. But, no rules. We dont need wven more rules.

Settlement rules are a meh in my books, we need something along the lines of CR rules for these "Large camps", as to how they were back in mod. Would help stop random people from just running in and being toxic, and encourage rp.

We had super strict rules in TP. I banned more people for trolling and badrp than anything. Rules wont help.

The Marshal    351

There's already loose settlement rules in the works by staff, this is unneeded.

The Traveler    120

To those going "Oh we don't need rules"....

Do you remember all the settlement conflicts that have fizzled out over the months? The idea of these rules ,in their very essence, isn't to restrict anything, or even be punishable rules that people need to remember long term...

Just a set of requirements for settlements to encourage variety and in turn maybe a set of rules used to help groups build a foundation for settlement conflicts s that won't just fizzle out after a week or 2 due to boredom :)

Imagine building up hostilities with a settlement, all coming together and building towards perhaps even an event?

Castiel    1124

Basic settlement rules will be implemented in new rules draft if I remember correctly.

To those going "Oh we don't need rules"....

Do you remember all the settlement conflicts that have fizzled out over the months? The idea of these rules ,in their very essence, isn't to restrict anything, or even be punishable rules that people need to remember long term...

Just a set of requirements for settlements to encourage variety and in turn maybe a set of rules used to help groups build a foundation for settlement conflicts s that won't just fizzle out after a week or 2 due to boredom :)

Imagine building up hostilities with a settlement, all coming together and building towards perhaps even an event?

You can do all that without rules 'protecting' the settlement and the people inside. People already wear enough 'rule armor'.

-snip-

-snip

-snip-

I was never around during TP, but im thinking more along the lines of what Altar or DP had.

Keira    1053

There is stuff already in the works for settlements so I would say this is an idea already being tossed around and worked on. You list all the pros of settlements and suggest they be treated similarly to groups, but I feel settlements are more locations as opposed to single groups of people, since many different groups can control or interact in a given settlement, especially if it's a trading focused settlement.

No.

Being part of a group attempting to keep a settlement, no. No rules required, if the manpower is there it'll work out naturally.

I like settlement threads tho

Helix    35

settlement rules would be a great idea, if we could actually build or add permanent additions to make them ourselves However that wont be a thing for a little while yet and at this point in time i feel like the settlements around just dont need any specials rules protecting them at this point in time.

The Traveler    120

Basic settlement rules will be implemented in new rules draft if I remember correctly.

That is fair :)  Cannot wait to see what the staff do with it !

-snip-

You can do all that without rules 'protecting' the settlement and the people inside. People already wear enough 'rule armor'.

It isn't about armour though. I am all for a bit of a bloody nose and what not. 

But what has been problems with bandit groups in the past is there are no real consequences to raiding a base (they just come back the next day like bugger all happened) and get bored, and the settlement gets fed up of constant attacks...

There's no... wow factor... no reason to continue attacking apart from "lol Pvp and Initations".... I mean hell even RP'd initations become a bit dry after a week or two if it's the same people in the same place... 

There needs to be purpose... A way to go "ok this settlement is now buggered" or "Ok we managed to repel these attacks long enough for them not to be a threat anymore"

Helix    35

-snip-

But what has been problems with bandit groups in the past is there are no real consequences to raiding a base (they just come back the next day like bugger all happened) and get bored, and the settlement gets fed up of constant attacks...

There's no... wow factor... no reason to continue attacking apart from "lol Pvp and Initations".... I mean hell even RP'd initations become a bit dry after a week or two if it's the same people in the same place... 

There needs to be purpose... A way to go "ok this settlement is now buggered" or "Ok we managed to repel these attacks long enough for them not to be a threat anymore"

theres already a way to do this, its called beat the attacking bandits so bad they give up.

-snip-

There needs to be purpose...

Thats because of the rules. Things are so tighty wrapped that every initiation is basically scripted by the rules. We have in the rules what can and cannot do, so every hostile situation is actually the same. Initiate, by a script, move locations, hostage roleplay, by a script. Its never going to change if we keep adding rules upon rules that protect people and hinder roleplay.

The Traveler    120

-Snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-Snip-

Thats because of the rules. Things are so tighty wrapped that every initiation is basically scripted by the rules. We have in the rules what can and cannot do, so every hostile situation is actually the same. Initiate, by a script, move locations, hostage roleplay, by a script, its never going to change if we keep adding rules upon rules that protect people and hinder roleplay.

Im not sure I agree that he rules hinder the role play, like in your list there you put "hostage RP" as a really minor thing, but surely that is the part that matters right? You followed the rules and now you do whatever makes your group diverse and enjoyable no?

But apart from that your main point is actually very interesting....

You're saying that to allow a more enjoyable and RP rich environment we need less rule, which in turn is the opposite of what most would think...  

Yet it's enough of a different dirrection it could actually maybe do a lot of good :)

Maybe bring it up as a topic at that community meeting in a few days? :D

Valkerion and I submitted a complete rule rewrite to Rolle. Some of them are already going into effect.

Volke    132

I don't think settlements need too many rules. The only rule I think would need to be is that the same group shouldn't be able to attack a "confirmed" settlement more than once every 6, 12, 24, 36 or 48hrs; time being based on what the community wants. It wouldn't be used to create a safe space but basically it would let people RP without allowing themselves to be griefed by one group constantly. I think its neutral as it allows attack to feel more real/less intrusive and allow people to RP out injuries or the affects of the attack if they so wish.

Valkerion and I submitted a complete rule rewrite to Rolle. Some of them are already going into effect.

Interested to hear this Thumper - Hopefully it allows less OOC drama to take place and both sides to feel satisfied.

Rolle    2467

The settlement rules are a part of the new overhauled 2016 rules release candidate.

For now they won't be used since there isn't a way to actually get a settlement approved, that will become available later on, on the new website.

And so we enter another phase of rule armor with these new settlement rules. When will the rules stop limiting rp? Thumper is absolutely right here.