Server time: 2017-10-19, 00:15
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Don't rip off popular culture

I mean this in the most respectful of ways when I say this, but... stop, for the love of all fuckity fucking god fucks... stop being Negan.

That'll be the end of the profanity as it goes with the character. (Just my little joke.)

Here's the thing. I have had several encounters, some internal, some external and just about approximately half of those encounters, have been a plain flat out ripped off scene from the walking dead. I don't want to hear another damn soul mention "Pea Pants City." or request that settlement A gives settlement B 'half their shit or else'. And before you get triggered that I even said this, I do not want to hear about how 'you will shut this shit down'... stop, please.

It's been done, and I wouldn't be so vocal about this if I encountered it in the same severity before this season of the walking dead.

This is not the first time this has happened in RP. The latest big culture thing becomes public and bam, everyone rips off something. I am no exception... Marvin Marrow... the name itself speaks volumes as a fan of Sin City and Son's of Anarchy, but I must stress it's a tribute. I am not ripping off the actual characters themselves... and when you do this, it is absolutely pure cheese.

Stop. Please. I can't even point out names, because too many of you are doing it. Stop. Roleplayers are some of the most creative people on this world. Take inspiration, but do not hijack an entire premise everyone is familiar with. They can see though it, it's not cool... it's plain and simple... cheese.

Or at least in the very least reword it, so I don't feel like I am reliving a rendition of whatever issue that cool quote, from that one cool character who is suddenly super famous, who said that thing and we all went 'arrrrgh'. 

Take inspiration, little tiny bits and make something 'new'. I mean we all try to be immersive here, but it's hard as hell when you can't take it seriously on account of recognising half your lines from a TV show/Comic book.

Roger    0

Let it be known that I was the one to start the "I want half" saying, and I started saying it before the newest season of TWD. Just because a reference is similar to a show, doesn't make it a rip off. You forget we are all trying to create interesting RP, just like a writer is trying to write an interesting show. Sometimes both just happen to be on the same page.

Just because something happened in a tv show it doesn't mean I won't do it just for fear of emulating it...thats stupid.

You ain't getting it dude, it is not just you. You may think you started it, but... it's everywhere. I cannot blink without seeing someone rip something off of this character. I am not the only one who has seen it. Every group, every settlement, every little hang out crew right now... have their own personal Negan or possibly more than one I don't know.

I am a fan too, he's awesome! But... it's been over a week now and I am sick hearing walking dead quotes IC'ly. This isn't personal, hell... if I felt I could get away with it without being a walking ball of RP cheese, I'd be doing it. "Hehe no one knows who it is, this'll be cool." And I'd frickin do it... problem is, everyone knows who this is, so it's redundant.

I am not saying don't emulate. Hell, I said, take inspiration, but what I am saying is take little parts of it. Keep it fresh. And ya know what, if you've been doing this before the character came about... several years back (we're a DayZ community, we knew who he was before the show caught up), then cool, and it sucks... but for the rest of us... it's Negan in DayZ.

Roger    0

-snip-

Ive never really came across any one directly quoting the show, or taking lines from it. As far as taking the character concept its not a very unique character concept.

Unique? Okay, I am gonna argue with myself here... kinda. Negan is damn unique. Like, he is one of the best characters I have seen recently, by far, but I am not the only one who thinks this way. However you might not have seen it, but I am all too familiar. Every day, there is gonna be a Negan quote waiting for me. Why? Because he is awesome. I can laugh about it, because he is awesome. I get it, it's fun. But like... seriously, am I the only one who has noticed this!? How many of ya'll know a Negan!?

Because so far, I am onto my second hand...

People aren't original, that all it is.

Look at all the unoriginal character pages, some there are great for a laugh.

giphy.gif

Heh, I put my hands up to that. I take inspiration from existing characters. I take the name Marv from Sin city, Morrow from Son's of Anarchy on account of loving Clay. I take the personality from multiple sources and throw in some external moral to make a character and from there I let it flow. Originality is dead, we've done it all, but there is a limit to how much we take from one source. You take inspiration from multiple sources and the end result more often than not is something brand new.... but I've not been seeing that recently.

I've seen word for word, action for action, quote for quote flat out jacked scenes and honestly... it was cooler the first time in the shows. We can do better.

Skinner    502

I can deal with one-liners thrown around from movies or TV shows. What I can't stand are characters ripped completely from movies, books, comics, or TV shows. I've seen plenty of people whose first and last names are exactly the same as major characters and they always act just like the character they are named after, or they're from the same area, or did the same job, etc.

Riggsee    0

Ive experienced this countless times as well. All I can say is I notice it and I immediately stop taking the RP seriously because it no longer feels dynamic. It just feels like you initiated on me so you can play out the fantasy of being Neegan. And I too use Neegan as a reference as I have had it countless times in RP. Have I quoted a movie or book in RP? Absolutely. But what I havent done is changed the portrayal of my character to match that of another just because it seems cooler.

Yeah I find that shit weird. I mean, it's cool to use Negan as inspiration but you gotta change it up a little bit. I mean, take Negan's basic character; he's a loud mouth, charismatic psychopath. Start there and add some twists to the character to make it yours. But don't just straight up copy Negan because that's fucking lame.

Like I was planning on having my next character, when I come back, take inspiration from Hannibal Lector but I don't plan on copying Lector because that's horribly lazy and would ruin the RP for anyone who has watched Hannibal or read Red Dragon. I was just gonna make a affable doctor who's pretty altruistic but also likes to eat people and kind of gets off on it but he's not Hannibal Lector because I'm nowhere near subtle enough to do that.

Also, for all the Negan copiers, have yall read the comics? Negan has way more going on than "Shut that shit down no exceptions" and "I'm gonna beat the fuckedy fucking fuck out of one of you." His backstory is pretty complex and sheds light on his actions while still making him look like a piece of shit. If you're gonna copy a character, at least do it well.

GaryCash    33

*Pulls down face mask... looks exactly like Jeffrey Dean Morgan.*

Oi nah im gonna be whatever i want

You totally can, but then people won't remember you because you'll be Daryl #12, Negan #9 or Mambo #5. I'd rather personally remember the bagel shop owner with a limp over some over done archetype quoting directly from the source and bringing nothing original to the roleplay because you can almost predict their next dialog lines. Just my 2 cents.

Asriel    0

I've never even watched the walking dead past season one. So I guess I'm safe from being a TWD stereotype.

OfficialJLSVevo    146

Ngl my main was built on the archetype of Daryl. But I'd like to think that all I've taken is a picture and a few personality points and just expanded on them with my own feelings and own experiences from RP. I don't when people take lines when copying characters think that's a bit OTT, but end of da  day, you play whoever you want

Dora    0

What happened to originality :(

Dora used to be original, but everyone and their mom decided to do the same. Having original characters especially in this lore is nearly impossible.

"BUUUT DORRRAAAA NO IT'S NOT, IT'S NOT THE LORE ITS THE PEOPLE"

Come up with a new character idea and post it.

Layman96    1

Another one I hear often is the three questions. You know: How many walkers have you killed? How many people have you killed? Why? If I hear that it just pulls me right out of the immersion and gets a huge eye roll from me. Like you could at least word it differently. I say this as someone with Eugene as my character pic, but inspiration is alright, and it's not a popular character to play. I took inspiration from the characters personality and made up a whole new background and story for him. I may attempt a similar voice and mannerisms, because I have to base them off of something, but I never use quotes.

Post    0

A lot of things lately are pretty cringe, but that's just a phase. Ideas come, ideas go. The whole "give me half" shit is more a meme than anything honestly as no one follows up on that IC. The same thing really happens with the joker from The Dark Knight. So many try to reflect that character's persona, voice, craziness, even people call themselves, "DayZRP's Own Joker." It's a gimmick, but it fades.

However, I don't think it's an excuse to stop taking a RP serious if you hear it. You should always give your best regardless of others.