Server time: 2017-10-22, 13:56
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Hex

Invisible user in radio chat

Hex    31

Hello all

Today I was thinking about the radio thread and in general, IC communication via the forums. This lead me to the Radio thread of course and I thought of an interesting idea: Having every user be 'blank' or something or other to everyone else. The point behind this is yes anonymity, but it removes a significant portion of metagaming and even the risk of accidental metagaming. This also directs the focus of the Radio chatter to between characters, not the users. I can easily see a post on the Radio chatter thread, see someone perhaps I dont like and instantly know who it is without them even identifying themselves, but if I dont know who it is posting then I'd be much more cautious, perhaps even strike up a deal or trade with someone I've never interacted before because of just not knowing the person. It opens doors.

However this does come with some side effects, mainly the issues of people shit talking with the idea that no one will know who they are, yes thats a big problem these days but I think as long as staff can see who actually posted it and the ability to report posts, it should even out. The next is the ability to say "Oh yeah I remember his voice from the radio" in game, unless the person actually identifies themself, the user name is really the only way you can for sure know. 

Of course the idea is not perfect, but its an interesting concept none the less.

Thoughts?

Nihoolious    1248

If staff can see who the users are but not normal users, I'm down. Probably gonna be on the New Website™

Wumby    0

If staff can see who the users are but not normal users, I'm down. Probably gonna be on the New Website™

What new website? Thought that was a myth of these lands

Shark    0

I mean, it could technically be done but I would imagine the amount of work needed to do so would outweigh the benefits. I do like the idea, but I don't see it happening on the current website. As Nihoolious said, maybe with the new IPB website. Who knows. Good concept nonetheless.

Sasha    0

This completely removes the chance of someone recognizing the persons voice or mannerisms though which furthers the problem of people acting big on the radio even after being decimated 18 times cause they can't be touched over the airwaves and they feel safe. Accidental meta gaming is less of an issue than this behavior which in some cases can be argued as bad rp.

Oyface    342

Wouldn't anyone be able to impersonate anyone if that was the case? Most of the radio chatter happens in text, so any user could write down any character name, and we wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

SpaceCowboy    230

If this is possible I say we should do this!

Poppy    378

Wouldn't anyone be able to impersonate anyone if that was the case? Most of the radio chatter happens in text, so any user could write down any character name, and we wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

As somone else stated above, the staff should have the possibility to see who typed it to prevent that.

I am all in for this idea. I like it. However it seem like a hard task to do, along with staff having to managing it to prevent impersonation and so on...

Voodoo    490

Its a good idea if it can be done i guess

Jack the Ripper    350

This completely removes the chance of someone recognizing the persons voice or mannerisms though which furthers the problem of people acting big on the radio even after being decimated 18 times cause they can't be touched over the airwaves and they feel safe. Accidental meta gaming is less of an issue than this behavior which in some cases can be argued as bad rp.

I agree with this. There are too many issues with the way people treat radio chatter all ready. Yes it can remove bias and yes it could solve metagaming issues, but I think it presents the capacity to be abused far too easily. And lets be honest, as much as we like to say that this is a mature roleplaying community, there are times out there when we really aren't.

Personally, I have not seen radio-meta-gaming to be that big of an issue in-game (I haven't seen many people actually metagame from radio chatter.) So I don't think this has to be implemented.... yet.

Kerkkoh    49

Cool idea, don't know how this would work with a forum platform like this but if it's possible, would be good.

Clumsy    226

If this is at all possible I am all for it. This will cut Metagaming down tremendously and make the radio chatter a bit more realistic in my opinion.

Oyface    342

As somone else stated above, the staff should have the possibility to see who typed it to prevent that.

I am all in for this idea. I like it. However it seem like a hard task to do, along with staff having to managing it to prevent impersonation and so on...

Seems like an awful lot of extra work for staff, if they'd have to constantly watch over it. If someone impersonates someone and the post is left alone for even an hour, the damage could already be done.

But if there's an easier way to pull this off, I agree. It could be a major improvement.

WilliAM    431

Yeah I like it. Hopefully it will come in the future

Helix    40

this is a really solid idea, dont have a clue if its at all possible but if Rolle could get it to work it would be amazing.

AndreyQ    0

Seems like an awful lot of extra work for staff, if they'd have to constantly watch over it. If someone impersonates someone and the post is left alone for even an hour, the damage could already be done.

But if there's an easier way to pull this off, I agree. It could be a major improvement.

Well, impersonation works a bit different. If I initiated on you and say I am part of Blackwood as an example, could go as far as giving a name, then that would be a pretty clear cut impersonation, as not only you falsely assume that Blackwood robbed you, therefore gaining KoS rights that you could invalidly use, but it would also affect the execution rights, as that would consider as a hostile action in your eyes, that could in the future make you execute people from Blackwood.

The thing with the radio is that while you could say you are Blackwood, you can't exactly do anything that would affect KoS or execution rights. Sure you could falsely declare war against someone else, but I could go IG and do the same. I could say that I heard people from Coldwater declare war against Blackwood and start a false rumor, which is well within the rules. Not to add that the broadcasts could be heard by anyone, including the same person/group that is being impersonated and that person/group could intervene.

But changing the radio threads to anonymous users would also change the mindset people have regarding radio chatter. People will trust each other less, they will question the authenticity of things, which is something we have been missing for some time now. It would make things so interesting, you have 0 clue who this guy that needs help is, if he even lied or not.

Overall, the addition of the anonymous radio chatter users would only add to the roleplay, it would give radio chatter the originality and the mysterious element that it needs.

SweetJoe    391

Hex, i like the idea, but wont being anonymous make the "big dickers" worse? You know, cause now noone could ever figure out who they are.

Leon_Idas    0

Hex, i like the idea, but wont being anonymous make the "big dickers" worse? You know, cause now noone could ever figure out who they are.

+1, This here...