Server time: 2017-10-16, 22:08
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

The Holding of Items...

Thumper    0

So, recently in a couple of reports we see bandit actions making people hold backpacks in their hands. Now, I can only assume the reason for this to be so they can not pull out a weapon or a grendade, and possibly move freely in the need to move locations. Am I correct in my assumption?

If I am I just want to comment on it from another bandits point of view, and that is 'lazy'.  You are using a game mechanic to limit the interaction.  It brings so much more to the situation to tie people up, search their person and guarantee your safety, all the while providing better hostage roleplay. It just bad Roleplay honestly. Right up there with stripping people to search their pants for weapons and explosives. 

If you feel the need to rush and make people move location, in this situation, you are banditing wrong. I honestly think this should be a punishable offense of bad roleplay and abuse of a game mechanic, because as a backpack owner, it would be so easy to pull out a gun and blast my aggressors, but due to the limits of DayZ, I cannot hold but one item in the hands slot. 

Anyone else agree or disagree?

Vice    0

Bandits will always take the easy way. While I agree that this sucks, I don't think there could be anything done about it.

Castiel    1124

I wasn't aware people were doing this, but if they are it's lazy as hell. In real life I could easily grab a weapon out of a backpack and gun you down. Do it properly or don't do it at all IMO.

Buddy    1058

If this really is a thing.... then that is incredibly depressing and I for one have to agree that it is abuse of game mechanics.

Would everyone PLEASE STOP looking for loopholes in the game and our community rules for your own benefit or the demise of others? Thank you!

Hodgie    0

Just depends who you ask tbh. I have done this to people and also have had this done to me as well. Don't find it "lazy" it's just a way of doing things. I like making them walk around with their backpacks to a more secure location then make them drop their backpack, vest etc. It's just a strategy honestly and It is normally a good one so I don't see a problem.

I also normally carry restraints as well but I don't always make them use it. I do this now because i have had SO many times where i would tie someone up and they would be glitched out. If you've had this happen then you would feel my pain. That is why I go to the carry backpack to a certain area then make them drop it along with vests and sidearms.

Nihoolious    1248

As someone who practices and recommends others employ this method as well, I will give my input.

Is there an advantage to have a hostage carry a backpack due to game mechanics? Yes and if staff decide to make this a punishable offense so be it. Allow me to explain why I think it is a legitimate strategy. 

Hostages do not value their life anymore. As seen in this months reports and if you play the game, people over half the time will try and retaliate, escape or get themselves killed. This is in the form of running, pulling out a weapon when surrounding, trying to punch their hostage takers etc. Having them carry a backpack ensures their hands are full to prevent any retaliation or non compliance in order for the hostage to survive and commence rp. 

Hostages love their gear. I get tilted whenever a hostage talks about their gun, their food etc. when their life is in danger. If they carry their backpack full of goodies to the destination, they can cherish the virtual items until they reach the place were they get juicy hostile rp. Sometimes they even leave with their gear!

Hostages wear rule armor. I'll go more in depth about this another time. Basically, to prevent them from trying to find loopholes in the demands they are given, they are told to grab their bag and move. It simplifies things for the better and paves the way for more rp. 

In a real scenario, hostages would move at a normal speed when restrained. DayZ is not the real world. This can be seen as a workaround of restraining hostages or it can be seen as a legitimate practice in a role play environment. Personally, I do not believe it is bad for it to be either. But that is ultimately for staff to decide.

Buddy    1058

Just depends who you ask tbh. I have done this to people and also have had this done to me as well. Don't find it "lazy" it's just a way of doing things. I like making them walk around with their backpacks to a more secure location then make them drop their backpack, vest etc. It's just a strategy honestly and It is normally a good one so I don't see a problem.

I also normally carry restraints as well but I don't always make them use it. I do this now because i have had SO many times where i would tie someone up and they would be glitched out. If you've had this happen then you would feel my pain. That is why I go to the carry backpack to a certain area then make them drop it along with vests and sidearms.

[align=justify]Reading your standpoint on this, I can understand why you would feel the need to regain control of the situation and keep your hostage in check. However.. in my opinion at least; that person is still just a hostage. Chances are; if you catch me with my pants down and point a gun to my head while my hands are up, I am going to do as you say. As long as you have that gun to my back and we are moving to another location, and my hands are still empty.. you will always have the jump on me in the off chance that I decide to turn around and pull a weapon on you. I don't feel it necessary to have to unrealistically put an item in a persons hands just for extra assurance.

[align=justify]I wasn't aware of such a glitch where one could simply break out of any sort of binds.. then again I don't have a tendency to tie people up either. If that is a thing then that too is very sad... *sighs..* 

Vice    0

-snip-

I don't think anybody questions this method's effectiveness; it's just not entirely fair. It's literally using the game's functions to prevent a realistic reaction, which might be to reach into the backpack and pull out a pistol to gun down someone who isn't looking.

Nihoolious    1248

-snip-

I don't think anybody questions this method's effectiveness; it's just not entirely fair. It's literally using the game's functions to prevent a realistic reaction, which might be to reach into the backpack and pull out a pistol to gun down someone who isn't looking.

That's why we have them drop the bag first, take any weapons and grenades out of it, then tell them to put it into their hands.

Thumper    0

As someone who practices and recommends others employ this method as well, I will give my input.

Is there an advantage to have a hostage carry a backpack due to game mechanics? Yes and if staff decide to make this a punishable offense so be it. Allow me to explain why I think it is a legitimate strategy. 

Hostages do not value their life anymore. As seen in this months reports and if you play the game, people over half the time will try and retaliate, escape or get themselves killed. This is in the form of running, pulling out a weapon when surrounding, trying to punch their hostage takers etc. Having them carry a backpack ensures their hands are full to prevent any retaliation or non compliance in order for the hostage to survive and commence rp. 

Hostages love their gear. I get tilted whenever a hostage talks about their gun, their food etc. when their life is in danger. If they carry their backpack full of goodies to the destination, they can cherish the virtual items until they reach the place were they get juicy hostile rp. Sometimes they even leave with their gear!

Hostages wear rule armor. I'll go more in depth about this another time. Basically, to prevent them from trying to find loopholes in the demands they are given, they are told to grab their bag and move. It simplifies things for the better and paves the way for more rp. 

In a real scenario, hostages would move at a normal speed when restrained. DayZ is not the real world. This can be seen as a workaround of restraining hostages or it can be seen as a legitimate practice in a role play environment. Personally, I do not believe it is bad for it to be either. But that is ultimately for staff to decide.

While I agree with your assessment of the 'why', I disagree with the implementation of the action. 

There are mechanics in place in the game to accomplish the sam outcome. You shouldn't focus on the limitations of the game to force this kind of compliance. Let them NVFL, or not comply, thats why we have a report system. 

I personally do not like this sort of thing, and its another reason I never comply. It just seems like bad roleplay to me, and I wont subject myself to it.

Sofie    0

I was told to carry my backpack in my hands instead of on my back yesterday as I was taken as a hostage. It makes no sense in reality since the things in your backpack is more accessible when you have the zipper in front of you, rather than on your back. I have no idea that they made me carry my backpack like this to prevent me from pulling something out of the backpack. However, the roleplay was so good that it personally didn't ruin the experience (maybe it was because I wasn't aware they used game mechanics and instead just made myself believe it was an IC reason). I would advise hostage takers not to do this though. I would rather run with my backpack on my back.

Volke    131

Agree with this entirely. If staff see it as AOGM, than so be it. But when you need to move and tying them up and slow jogging is too-slow; I've done it - it's an effective way to allow them to move at regular speed.

Para    293

I agree with you almost entirely. I think sometimes there is a need to hurry your bandit stuff up (e.g: moving a hostage to prevent being attacked) but getting them to hold their bag whilst doing it is just the wrong way to go about it.

And yea... what Sofie said. If I have a pistol in my bag it's really fucking easy to pull it out and shoot you in reality if I have my bag in my hands. Certainly 1000x easier than if your bag is on your back ;)

Cid    333

You say it is a strategy, and as effective as it is its effectiveness is based more on an OOC standpoint than an IC standpoint. If people really going to break rules no backpack is going to stop them. Reports will handle that better than any backpack will.

William    427

Yeah I agree with you. In real life, if I was told to hold my fuckin backpack with weapons in it I could EASILY take out something that could harm my captors. i feel like it's something someone would do when robbing someone in a pubs server. Similar to "press F2"

Voodoo    487

It should be against the rules. This type of thing shouldn't happen just to stay safe, thats the territory you get if you rob someone, there is a risk. However this should also not happen if its just because the victim doesnt want to loose gear. In DayZRP you will loose gear, get used to it.

Rampage    0

Having robbed a lot of people I feel its the lazy way out. In my eyes its not really good RP. Either tie them up or have them drop their bag all together.

Skinner    496

I'm guilty of telling my victims to carry their backpack. I had been justifying it to myself that if their backpack is in their hands, they can keep up with me at a casual jog or even a sprint for short bursts if needed, and they can't pull out a gun or grenade or something. Also, if they are carrying their own backpack that means that's one my of my guys that has their gun out instead of carrying their shit if they are giving good RP and cooperating and I'm thinking of giving them their shit back after the encounter is over depending on how things go. I'd rather they carry their own stuff and be able to keep up with me at a brisk jog which they can't do while bound.

However, now that this topic has been brought up I can certainly understand that most of the reasons I had been doing this were OOC and for game mechanic reasons, it's pretty silly of me thrust someone's backpack into their hands and tell them to follow me. I'll be keeping a close eye on this discussion and re-evaluating this tactic. Great input so far from both sides of this topic, thanks for bringing it up Thumper.

Melvin    84

On an OOC standpoint, it is effective because it saves resources and it is much quicker.

On an IC standpoint, doesn't make much sense because I can just remove a gun from the backpack or a knife. But then again, we are talking about DayZ where you jog at 0.2m/h tied up so it's up to grabs really. I'm neutral to this issue but I think that it's not very severe. The hardcore roleplayer in me can see where the problem may arise however.

100% agreed.

That and also people smashing their radios as soon an initiation starts so their taker cannot negociate and have demands towards their friends.

There are mechanics in place in the game to accomplish the sam outcome. You shouldn't focus on the limitations of the game to force this kind of compliance. Let them NVFL, or not comply, thats why we have a report system. 

As someone who practices this tactic a pretty good amount i have to say that even though there are mechanics like tying people up and what not if you don't have rope then this is a good alternative. I know we have a report system for people who NVFL and do dumb shit while being captured but i would rather actually RP with the hostage then have to kill them and make a report over some dumb shit but that's just my opinion, i honestly don't see why it's such a big deal to make someone hold their backpack while they run.

Also to all who say they realistically could pull something out of their backpack more easily with this method, my simple response is that i always check their backpacks and remove firearms and explosives before i make them carry it.

jason hunter    61

-See in real life, if you have to hold your backpack into your hands, then you can pull out a small pistol that you have hiden away....or throw the backpack at them and gun them down.

-IG you need to hold the backpack in your hand, and to use a gun you need to: put it away, grab the small pistol and then shoot....this will lead to your death. while in a Real Life situtation you can use it to your advantage.

I'd say this is kinda Abuse Of Game Mechanics.