Server time: 2017-10-21, 08:42
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Stagsview

Suggestions for the LM Team

Stagsview    625

The LM Team was made to help create a more enjoyable and immersive environment for the players, thus we have decided to start asking what the players would like to see us put focus on. The purpose of this thread will be to make suggestions for the LM team, whether it's in the form of events, Lore you would like to see fleshed out, or suggestions for things we aren't doing but could be doing. We would also like input on how the community would like to see our work represented, for example suggestions on how we could be better transparent with the community or how we could contribute more towards it. Any suggestions are welcome, even if they were not expressly mentioned here, as long as they are intended to be constructive, and not simply rants such as:

Examples:

“Make [Persons Name] Loremaster!”

“Fire the LM team, they suck!”

“Ramble,Ramble,Ramble”

We welcome anyone to make these suggestions, but we ask they be kept serious and to the point, this thread isn’t to be used for feedback as a Staff Feedback thread already exists. We expect all suggestions to be serious, and provide some sort of constructive input for the LM team. If the template is not followed the suggestions will be deleted and not responded to. We will reply to you as soon as possible either via PM or on the thread itself via your choice.

Template:

[b]Suggestion:[/b] [Your Text Here]
[b]Rational for your Suggestion:[/b] [Your Text Here]
[b]How you would like to see this implemented?:[/b] [Your Text Here]
[b]How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread):[/b] [Your Text Here]

Wumby    0

Suggestion: OFFICIAL group timeline for post infection lore

Rational for your Suggestion: Give people a reason to have good groups

How you would like to see this implemented?: Something like the map maybe?

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): Here 

Roger    0

A time line is something Rolle has already worked on so this will most likely be added in the near future unless some issue arises or we decide against it. People will be able to add entries to it and they will be approved by the LM team.

Rolle    2957

A time line is something Rolle has already worked on so this will most likely be added in the near future unless some issue arises or we decide against it. People will be able to add entries to it and they will be approved by the LM team.

Work in progress: DayZRP Timeline

Suggestion: If the LM team has several ideas for potential events, post the WIP skeletons of the ideas and let the community weigh in on which they would prefer to happen.

Rational for your Suggestion: It would let the community feel like they have more of a say in developing game lore. Right now, almost all of the in-game developing lore is community generated; it makes sense to be that the community should have some influence in large-scale meta events. It also helps the LM team get an idea of what events we the community would like and/or what we wouldn't be particularly interested in.

How you would like to see this implemented?: A thread with a poll (for people to straight up vote who don't want to give a lengthy weigh-in) and discussion in thread (for people with complex opinions on the subject or specific requests)

Sofie    0

Suggestion: Let members of the community suggest continuation lore for countries or topics, like the infection.

Rational for your Suggestion: I loved how the previous LM's made continuations for Ireland and Iceland. However, I think those who have grown up in the countries, know the culture and know the landscape etc, can give you some interesting information. This way you would let the community help develop lore and maybe motivate them to make characters that origin from other places other than the overused backstories we often come across. I also think many members would have an interest in helping you do this since it is always more fun to write about something you know well. Of course, this relies on the LM team continuing the continuation series, something I advise them to do!

How you would like to see this implemented?: Maybe make a thread with a template where people can write in the basic info about different towns that they think would be important in the apocalypse and that might have the potential to create new scenarios. Of course there is a chance that most people will mainly focus on their hometowns. Which could cause disagreement since some places might be the home for 50 members while others don't have any. On the other hand, I can't be the only person that would also have an interest in writing about a different country as well? All of the suggestions would of course have to be approved by the loremaster team. Not every city can survive and there will always be disagreement.

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): On this thread.

Roger    0

Suggestion: Let members of the community suggest continuation lore for countries or topics, like the infection.

Rational for your Suggestion: I loved how the previous LM's made continuations for Ireland and Iceland. However, I think those who have grown up in the countries, know the culture and know the landscape etc, can give you some interesting information. This way you would let the community help develop lore and maybe motivate them to make characters that origin from other places other than the overused backstories we often come across. I also think many members would have an interest in helping you do this since it is always more fun to write about something you know well. Of course, this relies on the LM team continuing the continuation series, something I advise them to do!

How you would like to see this implemented?: Maybe make a thread with a template where people can write in the basic info about different towns that they think would be important in the apocalypse and that might have the potential to create new scenarios. Of course there is a chance that most people will mainly focus on their hometowns. Which could cause disagreement since some places might be the home for 50 members while others don't have any. On the other hand, I can't be the only person that would also have an interest in writing about a different country as well? All of the suggestions would of course have to be approved by the loremaster team. Not every city can survive and there will always be disagreement.

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): On this thread.

We are all for seeing what countries the community would like to see worked on next, and this thread can be used to express this. Community members are welcomed to post suggestions of the countries they would like to see expanded on; we will try to get to the requested countries as soon as possible. Although not all countries can be done in the continuation series, generally major countries who are important to the infection will be touched on first and we will see how many we can get to afterwards.

We encourage people to make suggestions regarding what countries they would like to see next, we are always happy to receive that sort of input.

Suggestion: If the LM team has several ideas for potential events, post the WIP skeletons of the ideas and let the community weigh in on which they would prefer to happen.

Rational for your Suggestion: It would let the community feel like they have more of a say in developing game lore. Right now, almost all of the in-game developing lore is community generated; it makes sense to be that the community should have some influence in large-scale meta events. It also helps the LM team get an idea of what events we the community would like and/or what we wouldn't be particularly interested in.

How you would like to see this implemented?: A thread with a poll (for people to straight up vote who don't want to give a lengthy weigh-in) and discussion in thread (for people with complex opinions on the subject or specific requests)

This is something that could be discussed with in the LM team, but having the community weigh in on projects might just prolong the time it takes to make them. There would most likely be a lot of different opinions on the project and it would be alot harder to move forward with completing it. With that being said, keeping the community up to date with projects is something we plan on doing from on now; so you should be seeing alot more info on the WIP projects.

Suggestion: Piggybacking from this post:

Beginning to work on new lore and lore factions for the eventual lore reset at beta

I would like the next iteration of the Lore NOT to infect the rest of the world.

Rational for your Suggestion: While at the beginning it wasn't such a big deal, two years after the outbreak this choice is becoming one of the biggest obstacles at keeping the server varied and entertaining. By now it seriously undermines the believability of any non-self sufficient character that people might try to portray. It limits creativity.

No matter what kind of character you "start" with, every single one of us has been some type of survivor for 2 years already. There's not much escape from that: Either you have to convince me that your character somehow survived 2 years of the outbreak, or you're dead and I'm talking to a ghost.

Thus most of the playerbase shares the same kind of experiences and plays characters that react more or less the same, give or take, to the same everyday occurrences.  There's no room to be surprised by zombies, or everyday violence, or anything much.

So, I think that removing that precondition we all share and allowing fresh people to come to Chernarus that may not have experienced the outbreak and may or may not be ready to experience what is happening in Chernarus should greatly increase the kind of characters we can put into play without breaking anyone's immersion and benefit everyone, especially on the long haul when the new Lore start picking up months and, hopefully, years.

How you would like to see this implemented?: The quarantine of Chernarus should be largely successful. At least to the point were life in the outside world isn't much affected, especially in non-neighboring countries.

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): Reply on the thread, please.

Suggestion:  Have the LM team focus on encouraging players to run their own lore events, rather than being ran by staff / LM's.

Rational for your Suggestion: When i came to DayZRP in 2013 , I led a ramble of like 20-25 guys in my own pseudo non planned event after 2 weeks of being in the community, and thanks to the event / people who were involved the lore of the game changed, and the status quo shifted. I think people have forgotten how much of a difference they can make Lore wise if they work hard at it, and expect the staff to do a lot of the leg work. This is unfair on themselves and the staff (underestimating themselves, and overworking staff respectively). remidning players that they are the ones who make changes should be the number one message rang out by LM's... LM's are story tellers, Players are story makers.

How you would like to see this implemented?: Come up with event ideas and concepts, and allow players to organize them. Got two groups that have been feuding in game for a few IRL weeks? Approach both groups to see if they want to do an event series to determine how this conflict effects the groups. Got a cool idea for an event series but would require you getting loads of people together and signed up as NPC's? Give it to a group who you think would legit do the idea themselves and then give them support in making the event if they need it. If you physically think an idea is cool, but due to who you get to organize it you have no clue what it's going to mean for the lore, then you are doing it right in my humble opinion :D 

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): A reply here would be great :D

ADDITION!: Please don't Lore wipe again, ever... it has never been an amazing game changer in the past, and has been more a hindernece in this old timer's opinion. 

Keeping the server fresh is about what we build into the lore ourselves, not what we started with

I know quite a few people have requested a lore wipe. Id like to weigh in on that as I feel like it would offer a fresh start for the server to build new stories and allow new groups or groups to start over. I also would prefer the lore to be more open ended and open as to only know what caused the incident here and not so much other parts of the world as that may dictate what characters are played and created. It also allows here-say RP from different characters to make up what they "think" happened to their homeland since there is no outside communication.

Just an Old Timers suggestion.

Stagsview    625

Suggestion: Piggybacking from this post:

Beginning to work on new lore and lore factions for the eventual lore reset at beta

I would like the next iteration of the Lore NOT to infect the rest of the world.

Rational for your Suggestion: While at the beginning it wasn't such a big deal, two years after the outbreak this choice is becoming one of the biggest obstacles at keeping the server varied and entertaining. By now it seriously undermines the believability of any non-self sufficient character that people might try to portray. It limits creativity.

No matter what kind of character you "start" with, every single one of us has been some type of survivor for 2 years already. There's not much escape from that: Either you have to convince me that your character somehow survived 2 years of the outbreak, or you're dead and I'm talking to a ghost.

Thus most of the playerbase shares the same kind of experiences and plays characters that react more or less the same, give or take, to the same everyday occurrences.  There's no room to be surprised by zombies, or everyday violence, or anything much.

So, I think that removing that precondition we all share and allowing fresh people to come to Chernarus that may not have experienced the outbreak and may or may not be ready to experience what is happening in Chernarus should greatly increase the kind of characters we can put into play without breaking anyone's immersion and benefit everyone, especially on the long haul when the new Lore start picking up months and, hopefully, years.

How you would like to see this implemented?: The quarantine of Chernarus should be largely successful. At least to the point were life in the outside world isn't much affected, especially in non-neighboring countries.

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): Reply on the thread, please.

Hello there,

I can understand were you are coming from and will take your suggestion into mind however with the lorewipe as itself we have no even began to touch that area so we can not really go into great detail nor promise you if we will or will not go along with it. I do see the interst in it but I don't personally see it working. It would be imo a lot harder for people who are newer on the server to come up with stories and such in a realistic environment for why they came to chernarus and especially to people that wish to bring characters/groups from the outside to interveen with Chernarus in itself. I personally don't like the idea but does not mean it won't be considered when the discussion about the lore wipe happens.

Suggestion:  Have the LM team focus on encouraging players to run their own lore events, rather than being ran by staff / LM's.

Rational for your Suggestion: When i came to DayZRP in 2013 , I led a ramble of like 20-25 guys in my own pseudo non planned event after 2 weeks of being in the community, and thanks to the event / people who were involved the lore of the game changed, and the status quo shifted. I think people have forgotten how much of a difference they can make Lore wise if they work hard at it, and expect the staff to do a lot of the leg work. This is unfair on themselves and the staff (underestimating themselves, and overworking staff respectively). remidning players that they are the ones who make changes should be the number one message rang out by LM's... LM's are story tellers, Players are story makers.

How you would like to see this implemented?: Come up with event ideas and concepts, and allow players to organize them. Got two groups that have been feuding in game for a few IRL weeks? Approach both groups to see if they want to do an event series to determine how this conflict effects the groups. Got a cool idea for an event series but would require you getting loads of people together and signed up as NPC's? Give it to a group who you think would legit do the idea themselves and then give them support in making the event if they need it. If you physically think an idea is cool, but due to who you get to organize it you have no clue what it's going to mean for the lore, then you are doing it right in my humble opinion :D 

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): A reply here would be great :D

ADDITION!: Please don't Lore wipe again, ever... it has never been an amazing game changer in the past, and has been more a hindernece in this old timer's opinion. 

Keeping the server fresh is about what we build into the lore ourselves, not what we started with

With private events or events the loremasters will always have to have their nose involved in the event. We won't be taking full control of the event itself but we will make sure it does not clash with out lore and also to ensure it is monitored fairly and correctly. We have let players manage their events by themselves beforehand with no loremasters and there was mass reports and distrust from the community so there always has to be some sort of staff guidance.

Diamond    0

Yes. Plus one.

Work in progress: DayZRP Timeline

Beautiful. Very excited

Suggestion: Interactive Mini-Random-Events

Rational for your Suggestion: I'm talking about something like you guys did back in the Mod with the Council, with random, unscripted, and interactive events. Thing like the smoke grenade raining from planes, and weird radio messages. I'm not talking about bringing the Council back, but just some weird stuff like this to add to the Lore, as if a crazy scientist was doing these tests or something. I'm not in my best state for giving out ideas right now.

How you would like to see this implemented?: In the Mod, you people used planes to throw the smoke grenades, but I see no issue of just making a player throw it, and pretend like he didn't. Or maybe, someone from a 'secret' group goes up to the people and throws the grenade over the wall, observes the reaction on the 'subjects' (like it was a toxic gas or something) and runs off. Things like this greatly add up to rumors and IC stories overall. It would be interesting to see something like The Council all over again, but adapted to the Standalone's capabilities, which might take some time, but will compensate at the end.

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): Reply here, no worries.

Stagsview    625
12 hours ago, Rogério SkyLab said:

Suggestion: Interactive Mini-Random-Events

Rational for your Suggestion: I'm talking about something like you guys did back in the Mod with the Council, with random, unscripted, and interactive events. Thing like the smoke grenade raining from planes, and weird radio messages. I'm not talking about bringing the Council back, but just some weird stuff like this to add to the Lore, as if a crazy scientist was doing these tests or something. I'm not in my best state for giving out ideas right now.

How you would like to see this implemented?: In the Mod, you people used planes to throw the smoke grenades, but I see no issue of just making a player throw it, and pretend like he didn't. Or maybe, someone from a 'secret' group goes up to the people and throws the grenade over the wall, observes the reaction on the 'subjects' (like it was a toxic gas or something) and runs off. Things like this greatly add up to rumors and IC stories overall. It would be interesting to see something like The Council all over again, but adapted to the Standalone's capabilities, which might take some time, but will compensate at the end.

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): Reply here, no worries.

Helllo there Roger. Your suggestions are already in place as you can read from the announcement here. We are working to try and get weekly mini events that contribute towards the storyline. We are actually trying to get one done this week hopefully :). We don't have as much admin panel as we did back in mod days so it does take more planning to get everything set out properly. We in fact did a mini event just last week ig :). Keep your eyes open for this week, we should have another soon!

Iso    1227

Suggestion: Running "Lore of the Month" competitions.

Rational for your Suggestion: I feel as if this would encourage more people to write down their character's stories, completely fictional stories about events on Chernarus or even submitting completely unrelated lore pieces that are still a great read. This would be done via a flagging system, whereby people could flag their pieces as entered into LOTM (could be done in the title, in a small edit etc) and the LM team or the community could vote and decide on who submitted the best piece of lore/writing in any given month.

How you would like to see this implemented?: Stated above. 

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): Thread. 

Stagsview    625
On 1/7/2017 at 10:35 PM, Elmo said:

Suggestion: Running "Lore of the Month" competitions.

Rational for your Suggestion: I feel as if this would encourage more people to write down their character's stories, completely fictional stories about events on Chernarus or even submitting completely unrelated lore pieces that are still a great read. This would be done via a flagging system, whereby people could flag their pieces as entered into LOTM (could be done in the title, in a small edit etc) and the LM team or the community could vote and decide on who submitted the best piece of lore/writing in any given month.

How you would like to see this implemented?: Stated above. 

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): Thread. 

So you know, sorry for the late response, but I have brought it up in general chat for you :) This is something that the admins/staff would need to decided upon before we can actually take action upon it!

Posted (edited)

Suggestion: Using ArmA 2's official Lore to make a start up for our new Lore.

Rational for your Suggestion: As of now, our Lore currently states that the start of the outbreak is unknown. The only info we have is OOC stuff, that includes Virus details, names, and politician cards related to it. In ArmA 2, one of the endings you can get while playing the campaign is that the Russians, or the ChDKz (?) deploy a nuke, or just a normal warhead, onto Chernarus back in about 2009-2010 (time that the game takes place in), so it might be useful for the New Lore overall.

How you would like to see this implemented?: I mean, it could go from a "Infection Starting Point", as if there was a virus in that warhead that eventually took over the world. Or, you could shift it into a past thing that happened a few years before the 'New Lore', just to make as a important point in the history of Chernarus that could, maybe, draw out UN's attention so they are a present in the country even before the Outbreak.

In fact, I really don't know exactly what do draw out from this, but I know it can be useful in some way for the Lore if implemented correctly. From now on, I'd say 'Take your own conclusions' since it's just a reminder of something that can be useful. Tell me what you think :D

How would you like us to respond? (PM or Reply to thread): Whatever is best, but if possible, thread.

Edited by Rogério SkyLab