Server time: 2017-08-21, 10:26

Sign in to follow this  
Rolle

Group and LoreMaster changes

Rolle    2454

Hello dear community,

Together with the admin and LoreMaster team we have made several changes. The reason for these changes is to better suit the current needs of the community as well as get rid of old procedures from the DayZRP-mod era that we think no longer work for us.

First major change is that the group approval system will be removed. There are four main reasons for this decision:

- The system was introduced back in DayZRP-mod, rules back then gave special privileges to the approved groups. In order to have control which groups use and prevent abuse of those privileges we introduced an approval system. Since standalone those special rights has been removed and both approved and dynamic groups follow the same rules.

- The system is not very user friendly, creates large delays for people who want to create a group and is unnecessarily complicated.

- The new website which will be introduced soon does not support an easy way to approve groups on the new group pages. So this change is also done to secure future compatibility and avoid too many community changes happen at the same time as the website change.

- The task of group approvals was first done by the admins, but since we had other more important things to do like whitelist, that task was given to the LoreMasters. The rank of LoreMasters was never created for this purpose, the idea was for them to mainly work on advancing the lore, creating events and answering questions regarding the lore. Unfortunately, due to the complicated nature of the group approval system, it has almost completely taken over LoreMasters time and left little to no time to do the other tasks. This change is made so that LoreMasters can once again focus on tasks that they were meant to do from the start.

This is how a new procedure for the group creation will work:

- One creates a filled in group thread in the group forums. We do not accept "Work in Progress" threads of any kind, those go straight to archive. Same old group creation requirements are still in place, so you cannot be a member in more than 1 group, you need to be whitelisted for 1 month to create a group, etc.

- Once one posts the thread, the group is created and ready to use, there is no approval process to be done. You can create GroupCP page immediately.

- All community members (including staff and LMs) can look at the group thread and point out things to be improved to the OP.

- If the admin team gets notified about a group that is incompatible with the lore, does not fit the setting of DayZ or we find it abusive/inappropriate - it may be removed without prior notice. Nothing changed here.

Groups that are currently in "ideas" will be moved together with the approved groups. I know that there are some groups in there that are "Work in Progress", so those will be given a week to get up to speed with this change, before they are archived.

So as you can see, instead of approving all incoming groups and spending a lot of time on doing that, we will let the community itself "moderate" and point out errors in, for example - the lore of the groups and the admins will step in when we see that the idea overall is bad or response to the criticism is unsatisfactory. We believe this will free up a lot of staff resources to be used in the next part of this announcement. This change was agreed on with both admin and LM teams.

Now, LoreMasters. Thanks to the change above they will now go back they were intended to be from the start. The LoreMaster team now consists of 4 members, two EU and two US timezone. Admin team has had a meeting with the LM team and we have decided a rough plan of the way to go forward with the things we think are needed the most and would contribute the community in the best way at this time. The LM team has created a sticky thread that details exactly what those plans are and how they will be achieved, the focus will be exclusively in events, advancing the lore and creating in-game goals for all players to work together towards. As you can see this will be a while new direction for the LM team, which will hopefully fulfill a lot of community requested features that were lacking recently.

Hope you enjoy those changes, as always feel free to ask questions below.

I CAN MAKE A CP PAGE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

+100

Okay but seriously I love this change. I think that the loremaster time was not spent as well as it should've been simply approving groups. Now, LM's can focus more on their own projects to enhance the lore and work on progressing the lore we have as well. Seriously, +1

So instead of fixing the group system and giving people incentive to become official, you're just letting everyone become official? Did I read that wrong?

Rolle    2454

So instead of fixing the group system and giving people incentive to become official, you're just letting everyone become official? Did I read that wrong?

Not sure what you mean by "fixing the group system". It's not broken in any way, just unnecessary with how the rules work now. Being "official" did not mean anything in Standalone, other than a staff team looked at your idea and said "OK". We are getting rid of the official label and all groups are created equal now.

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    752

Not sure what you mean by "fixing the group system". It's not broken in any way, just unnecessary with how the rules work now. Being "official" did not mean anything in Standalone, other than a staff team looked at your idea and said "OK". We are getting rid of the official label and all groups are created equal now.

Can we make our Russian space program group that you didn't approve of before now?

Rolle    2454

Can we make our Russian space program group that you didn't approve of before now?

I think it will still get archived ;)

But they're not created equal. Some people work really hard on their threads and stories for their group. And then some people make put together a story for "like minded individuals" and put no effort into it what so ever. There should be incentive to be approved. 

Just my 2 cents.

Quick question

What about all of the groups currently in WIP that are now "official"? Do these groups need archived for the time being until they finish their threads?

They get a week to catch up before they get archived.

Quick question

What about all of the groups currently in WIP that are now "official"? Do these groups need archived for the time being until they finish their threads?

As stated in the OP, these groups will have one week to meet official group requirements before being archived.

Takes me back to 2013 when you didn't even need a thread and could just create a group CP.

-snip-

As stated in the OP, these groups will have one week to meet official group requirements before being archived.

I can't read apparently, sorry bout that :/

-snip-

I can't read apparently, sorry bout that :/

NO problem man, lots of people are probably blown away by this. You're not the only one who was reading and may have skipped over things in between dry heaves.

+50

This is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion, will push the community in a good direction, giving people a goal is a great idea since people sometimes give up the game due to the fact they don't have a goal to work towards

Buddy    850

This is just what the community needs right now. A giant leap forward with something new. Thank you Admin and Loremaster teams!

I cant create threads on the group forums :( I had something in mind too

Oyface    309

This seems like a good change, time will tell. :)

What about bringing back groups that were archived by request, will that process still work the same way?

Rolle    2454

I cant create threads on the group forums :( I had something in mind too

Fixed.

What about bringing back groups that were archived by request, will that process still work the same way?

Yes, nothing changed there.

Terra    1372

The group requierements are still the same - as long as the group fits with the lore, you can, if you wish, request a group to be unarchived. You should however maybe work on such groups beforehand. However, the new "non approval"-system will be in place for them too.

Hassan    381

I like the changes, something new :)

Nice work.

Shanoby    36

Well, from my perspective this is not good. See for me, to create a group, I need to be able to "market" the idea OOC-ly if I want to get it running. I do not have friends who I play regullary with who would join my group...

How am I supposed to promote my idea on forums from now on, if I can't have it as W.I.P which was my only loophole in system?

No but srsly, should I just create discussions from now on, to see if there is interest for an idea?

Cos making W.I.P page and showing the idea in text and image is way better promotion? I used it cos I didnt know any better... I might be wrong... is there better way to present my idea to potential group members ooc-ly?

Alex    451

--

If your group is 100% ready and the only thing lacking is members, I'm pretty sure you can put up a group thread, I may be wrong but since the rules have changed I think groups get a period of time to gain these members.