Jump to content
Server time: 2017-10-18, 22:09
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Rampage

Community meeting Recap and follow up

Recommended Posts

Rampage    0

Ok, so we had a good size community meeting yesterday in which the community was able to address concerns they have.  The biggest thing that stuck with me is staff following up and addressing the possible changes to each concern.  I agree that while allowing people to vent on TS is good, if staff don't do their job and follow up then it defeats the purpose.  So this thread serves as that.  I am going to state each topic that has been covered and throughout the next few days, weeks, when staff resolves it, I will post the results. 

Unfortunately my audio didn't record so I will try and remember everything off the top of my head.  If I miss anything please let me know and I will add it to the list.

1.  Consistency in regards to forum etiquette (how staff police the forums).  Community feels a lot of times people receive points for one thing and then the next day or week another community member/staff member will post the same and get nothing.  

2.  The amount of animosity and ooc hate people have for one another as a result of what happens icly.  

3.  Staff policing speech (on a private platform), how far does DayZRP's reach go?  

4.  Figure out how staff wants to moderate the forum (strict or liberal) and be consistent across the board.  

5.  Whitelisting needs to be way more challenging and older community members feel a high percentage of new members don't even know basic rules.

6.  Lore and Role play have gone stagnant.  

7.  Mentor program

8.  Staff being more involved with the community.

9.  Having bi-weekly or once a month meetings with the community

As I said in the meeting, change does not happen over night and things may take time.  We will do our best to address these concerns, however understand that no change will make 100% of the community happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Shank    22

9.  Having bi-weekly or once a month meetings with the community

Maybe we could considering bringing back the old Q/A sessions with staff that were live streamed? It was a shame that those died with Red and I think they would work really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rory    1558

As I shared the story in the meeting, number 2 appeals to my old group Outrun.

I used to get a lot of applications for the group, most of them were turned down. 

It so happens that a few of these people that I turned down would find me ingame and initiate on me or my group members. 

In one situation, he initiated infront of everyone around, so he got mowed down pretty quick and then came to our TS channel and would complain that he was killed followed by him sitting in our open coms for a few days before he realised that he wasn't going to become a part after his actions, to which he then stopped sitting in our coms and joined a different group. On a new character he would be extremely rude to any of our members ingame on multiple occasions.

In another situation, I turned someone's application down and said person started telling all his friend that he was going to "kill every one of us" ingame. Luckily one of his friends found me OOCly and told me about his plans and the fact he was extremely pissed that he wasnt accepted into the group.

I find it extremely selfish and rude that people who got turned down by a group would establish Hate for them IC as well as OOC that is completely irrelevant. 

Group leaders can't accept every single person that applies, that's just how it works.

I just thought I'd share this story with you all, regarding 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randle    928

9.  Having bi-weekly or once a month meetings with the community

Maybe we could considering bringing back the old Q/A sessions with staff that were live streamed? It was a shame that those died with Red and I think they would work really well.

I feel actual meetings over TS would be much more beneficial and allow for better contact than a stream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chance    48

I feel actual meetings over TS would be much more beneficial and allow for better contact than a stream.

I agree with Dom here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cid    333

6.  Lore and Role play have gone stagnant.  

The lore has been pretty stagnant for a while, and when the Loremasters tried to do something to progress the Lore it was pretty much shot down immediately for no particular reason. At the time, the community just didn't seem to care that the Loremasters and even some of the community members were working their asses off to provide good and engaging storylines. That was with the virus lore. With the trading groups it seems like staff dropped the ball on that one, simply not putting much effort into it and not making it very interesting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need to go back to the beginning. The Loremasters and the staff can figure out their shit and actively participate within the lore that is being created by all the other members of the community. Trying to salvage something now will likely result in another failure unless a lot of time and effort is put into it. This iteration of the server was great and I understand people don't want to throw away everything that has been worked towards, but it's just not going to last forever, plain and simple.

In short, the Loremasters need to get their shit together and actually solidify themselves as Loremasters and in my opinion the best way to start legitimizing this position is to start from scratch and show the community what you can do. It refreshes everything and then the Loremasters can prove their worth. Also make the team bigger and just get more involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rampage    0

6.  Lore and Role play have gone stagnant.  

The lore has been pretty stagnant for a while, and when the Loremasters tried to do something to progress the Lore it was pretty much shot down immediately for no particular reason.  At the time, the community just didn't seem to care that the Loremasters and even some of the community members were working their asses off to provide good and engaging storylines.  That was with the virus lore.  With the trading groups it seems like staff dropped the ball on that one, simply not putting much effort into it and not making it very interesting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We need to go back to the beginning.  The Loremasters and the staff can figure out their shit and actively participate within the lore that is being created by all the other members of the community.  Trying to salvage something now will likely result in another failure unless a lot of time and effort is put into it.  This iteration of the server was great and I understand people don't want to throw away everything that has been worked towards, but it's just not going to last forever, plain and simple.

In short, the Loremasters need to get their shit together and actually solidify themselves as Loremasters and in my opinion the best way to start legitimizing this position is to start from scratch and show the community what you can do.  It refreshes everything and then the Loremasters can prove their worth.  Also make the team bigger and just get more involved.

I believe there are steps to help this out.  If you check the staff roster, Staggs and Lankin have been added to help out Roger and Co.  I have a good feeling about this and think this will help out a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cid    333

6.  Lore and Role play have gone stagnant.  

The lore has been pretty stagnant for a while, and when the Loremasters tried to do something to progress the Lore it was pretty much shot down immediately for no particular reason.  At the time, the community just didn't seem to care that the Loremasters and even some of the community members were working their asses off to provide good and engaging storylines.  That was with the virus lore.  With the trading groups it seems like staff dropped the ball on that one, simply not putting much effort into it and not making it very interesting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We need to go back to the beginning.  The Loremasters and the staff can figure out their shit and actively participate within the lore that is being created by all the other members of the community.  Trying to salvage something now will likely result in another failure unless a lot of time and effort is put into it.  This iteration of the server was great and I understand people don't want to throw away everything that has been worked towards, but it's just not going to last forever, plain and simple.

In short, the Loremasters need to get their shit together and actually solidify themselves as Loremasters and in my opinion the best way to start legitimizing this position is to start from scratch and show the community what you can do.  It refreshes everything and then the Loremasters can prove their worth.  Also make the team bigger and just get more involved.

I believe there are steps to help this out.  If you check the staff roster, Staggs and Lankin have been added to help out Roger and Co.  I have a good feeling about this and think this will help out a lot.

Just noticed that change.  It's a step in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Buddha    24

With 0.61 round the corner, when the stable branch hits, it would be a good time then to implement a new lore. By then we should have an idea of what has been released and those can be added to the lore, if relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terra    1449

I think TS meeting & Q/A is a good idea - TS meeting more frequently than Q/A

For example every 2 weeks TS meeting

Once a month Q/A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randle    928

I think TS meeting & Q/A is a good idea - TS meeting more frequently that Q/A

For example every 2 weeks TS meeting

Once a month Q/A

I agree with having both and ts meetings bi weekly is a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper    0

Even though I have never got to take part in a Q&A as staff, nor as a community member, I feel that things were 10 times better when we had them. The community and staff relationship was better, as was the communication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good to see that consistency of how staff police the forums and speech outside of the forums have been brought up, I feel this is one of the biggest issues in the community currently. And with the possibility of adding annual TS meetings I can see many problems, concerns, and issues being resolved if the community has a chance to talk about it as a whole(or majority at least). So long as the meetings stay on point and everyone doesn't talk over each other or at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spartan    1229

9.  Having bi-weekly or once a month meetings with the community

Maybe we could considering bringing back the old Q/A sessions with staff that were live streamed? It was a shame that those died with Red and I think they would work really well.

+1

i mean i agree with this statedment said by Mr Shank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jango    47

5. Whitelisting needs to be way more challenging and older community members feel a high percentage of new members don't even know basic rules.

I think this is a big +1 , we definitely need to raise the bar of whitelisting, nothing too hard but something that shows newcomers the level of roleplay in which the community is trying to keep the bar/standard at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shane    558

I think some rules regarding Settlements needs to come into play sometime soon :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
   48

5. Whitelisting needs to be way more challenging and older community members feel a high percentage of new members don't even know basic rules.

I think this is a big +1 , we definitely need to  raise the bar of whitelisting, nothing too hard but something that shows newcomers the level of roleplay in which the community is trying to keep the bar/standard at.

+1

I know the old system was a bitch for staff, but it was just waay better than the current one. One of the main reasons RP has been so stale lately is because you can get whitelisted ridiculously easily, without properly knowing the rule. Bar definitely needs to raised. perhaps not the going back to the old one, but something needs to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buddy    1063

I think some rules regarding Settlements needs to come into play sometime soon :)

http://www.dayzrp.com/rulesnew - section 14 down the very bottom ;)

5. Whitelisting needs to be way more challenging and older community members feel a high percentage of new members don't even know basic rules.

I think this is a big +1 , we definitely need to  raise the bar of whitelisting, nothing too hard but something that shows newcomers the level of roleplay in which the community is trying to keep the bar/standard at.

+1

I know the old system was a bitch for staff, but it was just waay better than the current one. One of the main reasons RP has been so stale lately is because you can get whitelisted ridiculously easily, without properly knowing the rule. Bar definitely needs to raised. perhaps not the going back to the old one, but something needs to change.

The admins explained in the meeting something along the lines of them not being able to adjust the current whitelist system because they already paid for and had coded in the current one on the new website. Meaning it would have to be re-done and paid for again to adjust it? Stop me if I'm wrong? :x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shark    0

The admins explained in the meeting something along the lines of them not being able to adjust the current whitelist system because they already paid for and had coded in the current one on the new website. Meaning it would have to be re-done and paid for again to adjust it? Stop me if I'm wrong? :x

They didn't do a great job at explaining it, I believe. What was meant is that the whitelist questions themselves can be adjusted at will in the database. What they're unwilling to do presently is do an entirely separate system, such as reverting back to the KOS/NLR whitelist as how the whitelist is formatted and presented is paid for, and thus it would be wasted money to scrap it at this point and have it done again in a different way. That is why they mentioned they are going to write tougher questions and reword existing ones, because it's simple and they DO have the ability to easily change that. Doing something other than the current system is what they're unable to do without extra cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terra    1449

We have stated that at this point we cannot change the whitelist system as the system for the new Homepage is already done and paid for. We will however change the questions and lower the attemtps from 5 to 4 - new homepage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cthuluz    12

9.  Having bi-weekly or once a month meetings with the community

Maybe we could considering bringing back the old Q/A sessions with staff that were live streamed? It was a shame that those died with Red and I think they would work really well.

I feel actual meetings over TS would be much more beneficial and allow for better contact than a stream.

I agree with you on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabba    0

Even though I have never got to take part in a Q&A as staff, nor as a community member, I feel that things were 10 times better when we had them. The community and staff relationship was better, as was the communication.

I agree with you 100% here. I used to always watch the Q&A sessions with red and the rest of the staff team. I believe it benefited the community highly and needs to be brought back. So more regular TS meetings and the return of the Q&A sessions should help with the current divide between community members and staff, it will also keep the community updated and allow for changes.

This needs to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×