Server time: 2017-10-23, 17:13
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Voodoo

A Community Divided - Discussion

Voodoo    492

So earlier this month it was brought up about staff bias towards certain members of the community based on their community age or rank on the forums

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Double-standards

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-When-will-it-end

This generally went back and forth and lead to this response from Rolle:

fda3304bfd.png

Now today another thread was made asking for clarification on a rulebreak and once again this leniency response was brought up by Rolle via a PM:

I'm not sure what "leniency" you're speaking of

Source

Then a ban appeal by myself:

There is no "lenient system" that affects you, we are lenient towards new community members that make a mistake for the first time about things like posting inside a report or ban appeal they are not involved it, or do other minor forum stuff. None of that is applicable to most regular community members.

Source

Now as the above shows from the owner there is no lenient system that applies to us 'regular community members' but only to newer members. Just this alone shows discrimination and a divide between older and newer members with both sides being treated differently.

I was just wondering on other members thoughts to this along with the general feel of the community as recently to me it does feel divided with stories of campfire RP vs Bandit RP and so on.

My main question is what happened to this place? It used to be a fun enjoyable place to hang out after a stressful day where members got along, punishments were fair across the board no matter what age your account was or if you were a streamer or not and there was no 'snaking/backstabbing' on other non RP related programmes which was used to permaban someone.

I generally feel a lot of the problems are branching from the top (Staff team) with a lack of discussion, defined procedures and passion for how things are run. Just recently we have seen issues being pointed out in terms of a verdict outcome and a high rate of members voting for a whitelist system more strict like in the past.

The main thing really is, what happened along the road?

Rory    1596

You bring a lot of valid points and I feel like the only people that seem to matter nowadays are the newcomers because they are the fresh new layer that brings this business more money. That's the harsh truth. You can see this by the fact that leniency seems to only affect newcomers and that the whitelist is purposely made easier in order to allow more members to play here, which means more donations.

The older members are openly worried about this community's path that staff have chosen and are bringing points across that seem to be pushed under the carpet more and more.

I feel like this discussion is needed and I am curious what other members think about this.

Thumper    0

We are blessed with some very good, experienced staff members. We are also cursed with a few that have no busiess being in staff and they clearly outshine the good ones with their bias, unprofessionalism, and double standards. 

The more we point it out, the more we are singled out. The defensive posturing and retaliation is also made very clear for those of us that oppose. 

What gets us warning points, it acceptable behavior for them evidently. What gets us banned for harassment and hate, is but banter for them. 

'Case by case' went from actually being based on the situation to now being 'based on who you are and a excuse to be biased'. It's a giant meme.

Spartan    1245

oh boy.

mSFXk2a.gif

dis gon b gud

but yeah, making this post necessary: 

I do agree with most of your points Voodoo. There is more and more bias. One person gets points while the other person is allowed to do the exact same thing, the consistency is gone.

Also, weird that a gif with words is not allowed while a simple "+1" is.

But how many of these threads has been there the last couple months? alot.

Did anything change? nopes.

So will this thread change anything? I'm afraid not.

Guess you just got to deal with it and play the game, thats the main reason i stopped reading verdicts aswell.

Valkerion    0

We are blessed with some very good, experienced staff members. We are also cursed with a few that have no busiess being in staff and they clearly outshine the good ones with their bias, unprofessionalism, and double standards. 

The more we point it out, the more we are singled out. The defensive posturing and retaliation is also made very clear for those of us that oppose. 

What gets us warning points, it acceptable behavior for them evidently. What gets us banned for harassment and hate, is but banter for them. 

'Case by case' went from actually being based on the situation to now being 'based on who you are and a excuse to be biased'. It's a giant meme.

I would give you a clapping gif but im not really allowed anymore but this is not new there have always been people in staff like what you described those that look down on other members of the community and see themselves as elevated above the common community member.

The problem is also when the other staff defend these types of staff in some attempt to look "united" rather than just dropping them or disciplining them which in turn just makes them look bad too which probably contributes to the huge amount of differing opinions and interpretations because nobody knows what to put anymore because they all have to seem "united"

Cipher    0

Valkerion put it best - this place is a business as much or maybe more than a community, and it becomes more and more apparent as we transition from a place of creative ideas and a place where people can express their opinion, towards a 'safe space' where ideas must not be too potentially offensive or challenge the norm, and this is, in my opinion as an uneducated young and humble person, to keep ad-revenue flowing. It's the same reason that YouTube is implementing the safe space initiaves that they are; advertisers don't want to run ads on videos that could potentially be considered offensive or have offensive content within, and maybe the same thing is happening with DayZRP. That's just my speculation tho.

To answer your question specifically I dont know what happened but in the short four months I've been here I've seen more than my fair share of drama and it is really disheartening. It sucks to have to be careful about every move you make in this community because you never know who is going to try to fuck you over because of it.

The worst part about it is the group of yes men that simply repeat "if you don't like it, leave" because they know for a fact there's nowhere else to go that is developed enough to deliver a consistent roleplaying experience in DayZ. I guarantee you that if there was a community of near-equal size to this one then we'd be seeing a bit more of a response from the community leaders. I mean, we've been having these threads for literally months and at this point it feels like we're yelling at a brick wall. What have we really accomplished with threads like this over the past few months? Nothing really, people get mad and start flaming each other, points are given out and then appealed, a community member or two who were on final get permabanned and after ten pages of the same arguements being thrown back and forth the thread is closed by an admin or Rolle himself and nothing changes.

Good luck with this iteration of "I am fed up with this community and there is nothing I can do because nothing will change because there is no competition" Voodoo :/

Diamond    0

I'm gonna say I gotta agree with voodoo. Also I feel like certain players in the community are targeted to get points and certain ones aren't. That's why some people don't get points and some do. Some are warranted and some are not. So I feel like if you are a streamer or some shit or donated a ton you get away with it. For example slim satans name was reggin and changed it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I remember seeing this. If not disregard the rest of this. But reggin is nigger backwards. If anyone who didn't donate 500 euros did this they'd be perma banned. So I think it is pretty bias a good amount of the time.

Rory    1596

I'm gonna say I gotta agree with voodoo. Also I feel like certain players in the community are targeted to get points and certain ones aren't. That's why some people don't get points and some do. Some are warranted and some are not. So I feel like if you are a streamer or some shit or donated a ton you get away with it. For example slim satans name was reggin and changed it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I remember seeing this. If not disregard the rest of this. But reggin is nigger backwards. If anyone who didn't donate 500 euros did this they'd be perma banned. So I think it is pretty bias a  good amount of the time.

I didn't know about this, thanks for bringing it up. Yet another example of the bias decision should this have really been the case.

Randle    933

Basically what Thumper said, the 'case by case' system seems to be being used as an excuse to inconsistently hand out punishments. I get that most things are different however I fail to see why there are no set standards for what is unnecessary etc?

Jango    47

Oh great another one of these threads, where we talk about the same thing over and over again. What is the point of bringing this up and talking about it if nothing or no one here ever does anything to make the relations between player and Staff better.

Voodoo    492

-snip-

I can agree the place does feel more like a money making business rather than a fun RP environment. Its fine to make a profit but it shouldn't lead to things going offtrack.

I'm sure I'm not the only one from the 'old days' that feels like they have been pushed to the side for a new wave of donators to come in. At times it kinda feels like the members of the past are looked down upon and are not wanted to be included when it comes to discussions about how the community can improve and move forward.

Randle    933

Oh great another one of these threads, where we talk about the same thing over and over again. What is the point of bringing this up and talking about it if nothing or no one here ever does anything to make the relations between player and Staff better.

Oh great another one of these posts.

Can you not see we are trying to raise an issue however we are being ignored, alternatively we can all sit back and 'take it like a champ' and I would prefer it if you would either contribute to the thread or keep your 'opinion' if you can call that an opinion to yourself.

Voodoo    492

Its not even just about players and staff, its the fact that a newer member will get away with something that you a 'regular community member' will get punishment. Its the fact that nothing is equal in this place and for this place to improve then this problem needs to be addressed. For there to be a better relationship between the player and staff groups these issues must be brought up, its how democracy works.

Jango    47

-snip-

So just throwing this out there as a rhetorical, how many of these threads have been made in the last months or ever in the existences of DayZRP ? By my count several , yet as you state it's continually ignored. If the admins didn't care about it before, what makes you think bringing it up over and over will ever do anything. Obviously they don't care or disregard it so why bother.

Rory    1596

Maybe provide something constructive instead of complaining about the thread. :)

Randle    933

-snip-

So just throwing this out there as a rhetorical, how many of these threads have been made in the last months or ever in the existences of DayZRP ? By my count several , yet as you state it's continually ignored. If the admins didn't care about it before, what makes you think bringing it up over and over will ever do anything. Obviously they don't care or disregard it so why bother.

And what makes you think us sitting back and wallowing about it ourselves rather than trying to fix the issue, if none of us try to fix anything then nothing will ever be done.

Valkerion    0

If you revolt enough eventually they will have to deal with rather than disregard it. Whether their method of dealing with it is what we hoped for remains to be seen.

Cipher    0

-snip-

If you revolt enough eventually they will have to deal with rather than disregard it. Whether their method of dealing with it is what we hoped for remains to be seen.

If by revolt you mean create competiton via another community then yeah

I am a firm believer in competition. If this is truly a business they dont have to do shit, if you want to enjoy this service (the RP in-game) you are forced to deal with everything else that comes along with it and there's no where else to go so literally they can do whatever the hell they want and they will lose minimal in terms of both members and revenue.

Until competition comes in, of course. Then we will see change

Valkerion    0

-snip-

Thats not what I mean as you mentioned by reusing my quote earlier "DayZRP is a business" if its losing customers or getting negative feedback due to XYZ then it should opt to change to retain its customers and remain profitable.

If you wish to create competition via another community that could also potentially work but its not what I meant.

Voodoo    492

-image snip-

Watch out lad ;)

As you put above:

'What is the point of bringing this up and talking about it if nothing or no one here ever does anything to make the relations between player and Staff better'

This is a valid point and a good idea, the issues have been around for a while so we could look into a group of members that have meetings with staff on a regular basis giving feedback of what the community feels needing improving. Of course this will need staff to keep an open mind and listen but could lead to that divide feeling disappearing.

Jango    47

-snip-

I am a firm believer in competition. If this is truly a business they dont have to do shit, if you want to enjoy this service (the RP in-game) you are forced to deal with everything else that comes along with it and there's no where else to go so literally they can do whatever the hell they want and they will lose minimal in terms of both members and revenue.

Until competition comes in, of course. Then we will see change

Lol not that I'm supporting that but I seriously doubt any if most of the people here would have the courage to even do that half of the people here or who will comment on this are just bandwagoners just posting to post and who could careless about the community as a whole.

Cipher    0

-snip-

This is exactly the consumer as I described in my post above. Completely content with the way things are because deep down he knows nothing will change because there is nothing that can stand up to the current service he is forced to give in to if he wants to roleplay in DayZ

Thats not what I mean as you mentioned by reusing my quote earlier "DayZRP is a business" if its losing customers or getting negative feedback due to XYZ then it should opt to change to retain its customers and remain profitable.

If you wish to create competition via another community that could also potentially work but its not what I meant.

I have no intention of being perma banned by even suggesting I want to create a separate community, but think about cable companies man. They have a monopoly on the area they provide service to so they can assrape their entire area and the consumers that live there literally have the option of taking the assrape or having no internet.

Now online roleplaying communities and utilities are a bit different but I think my point still stands. DayZRP can get all the negative feedback they want and they can sit back and say "if you don't like it then leave" knowing full well there's nowhere else to go

Shanoby    63

More power to you guys, to be fair, Im too weak to fight this fight... you go guys.

(will take points for gif, sad threads need cheering up, even if for a second)

HYbC5g.gif

Voodoo    492

-snip-

TBH id really love to hear what you think, you are also an older community member and I'm sure over the years you have been around you have seen changes/issues that you want to bring to the table.