Server time: 2017-10-17, 07:55
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

Warning Point Clarification

Question

Thumper    0

Reading this point appeal here I am slightly confused.

The OP posts a gif image basically +1ing a friend, and recieves points for an unnecessary post?

Why? Can we get hard, concrete guidelines on this because I have a PM from Rolle, saying +1 posts are necessary and constructive to threads, yet we cant do it in .gif form only text?  Some explanations and examlles might help out here cause Im really confused on whats allowed for the community...

64 answers to this question

Plank    0

IMO if the post is there with a reasonable body of text that makes sense and is on topic, then post whatever shitty gif you wish alongside that. When you're just typing +1 or a gif, why not give 'em beanz instead?

Voodoo    487

Seems like the procedures need defining again. I'm sure I can look through the day and see many .gifs with no text that didn't receive points

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe instead of the rules being re-done the general forums should be wiped and a proper procedure put in place so that its not mixed who will get points and who wont.

Dora    0

I read through the ban appeal and I agree the warning points were not justified. I could go through hundreds of posts where the same exact scenario has happened and people did not receive any warning points.

Spartan    1227

I read through the ban appeal and I agree the warning points were not justified. I could go through hundreds of posts where the same exact scenario has happened and people did not receive any warning points.

wanted to +1 this post but with staff being so inconsistent with points lately i'm not sure if thats a good idea...

But I agree with your post, Dora.

Bit weird that posts where staffmembers just did a +1 or a gif showing they agreed with a statement is fine but in this case it is point worthy...

Rory    1557

This whole situation is extremely confusing and I honestly see no reason to participate in the forums anymore if I am not even allowed to post a gif as a reponse to a post I agree with. It's like all the freedom is being taken away. It wasn't flamey, it wasn't unnecessary. It was a funny response to something I agreed with,  as I said before.

In the past, agreeing with something was never points worthy just because it didn't provide anything towards the discussion? It shouldn't always need to.

I remember threads in the past where people would quote eachother saying +1, +2, +3 - ongoingly. It was never a problem. How is a gif response as an agreement any different? It used to happen every day on a lot of threads in the past and as I said, was never a problem.

If this is the way the staff team operates now, giving points where they can, then I would like to get a clarification of why we needed the leniency instated?

Edit: I just received a PM from Rolle as a response to my question that I PM'ed him.

You posted a gif with no other content. There is the difference between that and quoting someone and writing a "+1".

I'm not sure what "leniency" you're speaking of, but posting random gifs in discussion threads resulted in them being removed or warned, nothing changed there.

According to him, there is a difference between a gif response and a +1 even tho they both agree with the post and a +1 is even less constructive or provides anything towards the discussion, than a gif that is supposed to lighten up the mood a little.

Kerkkoh    49

In this particular situation, I don't see any problem with it either, I've seen it done multiple times before, and nothing has been done about it.

I would as well +1 a post did earlier in this thread, but I feel like I might get some warning points for that now.

In my opinion, saying "+1" or inserting a gif saying the same thing is a way to show other people reading the thread that you agree with that particular post and in no case should that be forbidden. I doubt that everyone reading a thread would look at someone's reputation just to see if someone agreed with a particular post, but when it's in the thread itself, it's easy and fast to see.

If staff think these post should be forbidden, couldn't we just implement a "like" system where you can like +1 or like posts by clicking a button and people could see that on the post. Obviously, this would be probably done for the new forums, but I would see that as a way better system than this current BeanZ system where you can't see if someone, for example, got BeanZ for a particular post while reading through a thread.

Castiel    1124

If staff think these post should be forbidden, couldn't we just implement a "like" system where you can like +1 or like posts by clicking a button and people could see that on the post. Obviously, this would be probably done for the new forums, but I would see that as a way better system than this current BeanZ system where you can't see if someone, for example, got BeanZ for a particular post while reading through a thread.

If I remember correctly this will be the system for new forums, there will be a "+1" option on posts.

Voodoo    487

I could go through hundreds of posts where the same exact scenario has happened and people did not receive any warning points.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Rory    1557

I could go through hundreds of posts where the same exact scenario has happened and people did not receive any warning points.

+2

I hope we can get better consistency.

Cipher    0

Careful.

Those things aren't allowed.

I really hope that we can get some clarification as to why a +1 or an "I agree" is allowed but a gif denoting the same thing isn't.

Rory    1557

Careful.

Those things aren't allowed.

I really hope that we can get some clarification as to why a +1 or an "I agree" is allowed but a gif denoting the same thing isn't.

Considering they are the same, I see no problem with either?

If you're allowed to +1 but not to +1 via a gif, why not post +1 followed by a gif? ;)

I agree completely of course and whilst my agreement might not bring anything new to the table (warning points maybe?!?), I'll speak up as another head because it is in my opinion a very unprofessional, not courteous and toxic thing to do. When communities start punishing people for something as minor without clarifying on a grander scale with say... guidelines, then words like tyrannical, egocentric and abusive start to creep about and those more often than not never end well.

Solution? Revoke the mans points and put a clarified note on the rules and of course make an announcement so those who've been here for a while are aware of a rule update to prevent them getting points themselves.

I am all for punishments regarding in game rule breaks, sexism, racism, down right antisocial behaviour, but a thumbs up gif on a random thread? 

1c1515b331f32c581358917aeeb0e71e993dc5198c5b84da07c43dcea81c5b15.jpg

Randle    927

But is it actually and I stress actually points worthy? Surely a snip and a PM would have sufficed seeing as we are trying to have a 'lenient' atmosphere?

Voodoo    487

But is it actually and I stress actually points worthy? Surely a snip and a PM would have sufficed seeing as we are trying to have a 'lenient' atmosphere?

According to Rolle he doesnt know what this leniency thing is that we speak of (yet another example of things not being defined or being overlooked when the time is right)

Wendsill    0

To be honest, as long as Rolle keeps personally interfering with giving out points or re-instating them when they have been appealed for what ever reason and by doing that breaking the rules that the staffteam is currently trying to enforce, decisions will never be consequent and according to the rulesset we have.

The staffteam will see how Rolle acts and just copy that behaviour.

Best thing to do is just throw all rules away and let favouritism do its thing, only difference is that it will now be visible instead of hidden.

Randle    927

To be honest, as long as Rolle keeps personally interfering with giving out points or re-instating them when they have been appealed for what ever reason and by doing that breaking the rules that the staffteam is currently trying to enforce, decisions will never be consequent and according to the rulesset we have.

Best thing to do is just throw all rules away and let favouritism do its thing, only difference is that it will now be visible instead of hidden.

Yeah, I know this is a bias opinion from me but I thought if you issued the points/Verdict you shouldn't handle the appeal yet Rolle did with my points. But as this is his community he can do what he wants and I doubt any of us will be able to change that.

Voodoo    487

Yep its one of the reasons all the admin team left last year and as they say history always repeats itself. Lets be honest favouritism has always happened even inside staff, until the core part of the community (staff) is working and consistent with procedures and rules there will always be issues.

Things can always be sorted if the team sit down and work on everything but it seems alot more easier just to kick people out or do things to force them to leave in order for a team that just says yes rather than discuss.

Rory    1557

Yep its one of the reasons all the admin team left last year and as they say history always repeats itself. Lets be honest favouritism has always happened even inside staff, until the core part of the community (staff) is working and consistent with procedures and rules there will always be issues.

Things can always be sorted if the team sit down and work on everything but it seems alot more easier just to kick people out or do things to force them to leave in order for a team that just says yes rather than discuss.

History won't repeat itself this time because there are too many staff members that feel way too proud for being one, so they are less likely to walk out.

And that is not meant to disrespect any of them, the team is simply different than it was last year around this time, or even earlier. It seems members twist the rules in order to shape their personal preferences.

TLDR, I am not surprised I got points considering how things have been run lately and the endless amounts of threads made by thumper where he questions staff decisions. It simply opened my eyes more and more.

Roman    0

Not really sure why we need to give points to posts that isn't flaming or of that nature. Let people have some keks, we are here to have fun.

Randle    927

I shall ask one simple question. Was the post necessary?

Are we going to go back through the entire forums and give three points to every post that isn't 100% necessary?

Terra    1449

For me it is very simple:

In a serious discussion - If I have an opinion, I can write it down if I want to. If only a gif to post comes to my mind - "Thats my boy" - then I maybe should not.

Cipher    0

I mean, no it wasn't

But neither are the "+1"s, the " I agree"s, the "urite" s, all essentially agreement posts like this one was

At least gifs are pretty to look at

If we give Phoenix points here then thats cool but we should just start banning anything like what I have above

Sofie    0

After seeing what happened to Phoenix I have been so confused with what I am allowed to post. Should I just stay away from discussions when I don't have anything else to add but I agree with some of the comments made? I know I could give beanz to those I agree with, but what how the hell will that contribute to change anything? When a discussion leads somewhere and most people agree with an outcome it needs to be visible trough responses or a poll, and sadly, after 10 pages of great arguments you kinda start running low and it feels better to +1 someone instead of stealing their words. Staff should base their decisions on the majority's opinions in discussion threads. Shutting some of the people down like this will give incorrect results. No wonder there has been so much disagreement lately.

Voodoo    487

Are we going to go back through the entire forums and give three points to every post that isn't 100% necessary?