Server time: 2017-10-24, 02:07
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Iso

Respect

Iso    1242

Over the last 3 weeks that I've been back in the community and been running with a group, I've noticed a startling change from when I was previously playing. There is a serious lack of respect for one another in this community. I don't mean people are fist fighting in the forums, furiously banging their keyboards to the sound of Metallica fuelling their keyboard warrior status. I'm talking about the stuff that goes on in verbal communications between people, people who are meant to at least show some degree of respect towards one another, just for the sake of being people.

Verbal communication over the "radio" system is an integral part of the DayZRP community. It forms the basis for tactical cohesion, as well as serving as an OOC den late at night, where people can relax, enjoy a bit of RP and chat with one another about their day. There's no better community gaming experience for me than to sit down, relax and have a bit of banter with my mates over TS and fit in a cheeky bit of RP because, let's face it, RP is so god damn fun. Role-playing with people you like OOC but not necessarily IC is so much fun because it allows you to assume a new personality in a way, which you can only do with people you trust OOC, or at least I can only do it that way. For me, this is the ideal situation, a group of friendly, fun but serious RPers who respect eachother both IC and OOC (though IC is optional). This is simply not the situation I have experienced over the last 3 weeks.

When I initially returned, I found myself in TS with a relatively friendly and outgoing American guy. He was fun to be around but he was also quite funny in RP, as well as role-playing as a serious bandit which I found quite entertaining to watch. Over the course of that first week, we had quite a lot of fun messing around OOC and RPing with eachother IC, as well as hopping off of other people IC to create a fun dynamic to our experience. There was respect and an enjoyable experience to be had. However, we sort of dropped out of communication for that 2nd week and I ended up running with a really charismatic Irish guy, along with one of the nicest Swedes I have ever met. Also an Englishman but we can forget him ^_^ I'm not going to lie, it was some of the best RP experience I'd had in a long time and I'd had so much craic and banter outside of the game that I decided I could hang around these lads for a while and for me, that was a pretty big deal, both on a personal and community level.

However, as it often does, the group formed its dynamic with the charismatic Irish lad taking the helm and leading the group. I was content to sit back and be chill because, let's face it, I'm not leadership material nor did I desire to lead a group of people on TS. Fun and RP were all I really wanted from the experience and I received more than my fair share of fun and RP. Staying up late at the weekends to battle it out with some rival clan or sit up until 3AM talking about sweet nothing and having a damn good time in RP was the order of the day. Eventually, we ran into some more people, a throaty gentleman with a pre-disposition to landing on mines from a couple of storeys up and his motley-crew of survivors. I've had some fantastic RP moments with these people, late night boxing matches with Throat Lozenge (we'll call throaty gentleman Throat Lozenge) and some deep heart-to-heart RP talks and expansions on the stories of my own character as well as the characters of others. For me, this was a fun and rewarding experience and served as a badly needed outlet, as I'm in my final year of school and there's mounting pressure for points and university places. But this isn't my life story, just 3 weeks on DayZRP.

So what happened?

Needless to say, we ran into even more people that we initially liked. A friendly, kind monarch who is all for winning, a somewhat rowdy but well-meaning celestial body and a gravelly tomahawk lover. We had established our dynamic over the previous week, yet these new people did not seem to understand that and this I could comprehend because its difficult to adjust to a new dynamic after coming out of so many others. There were more than a few ruffled feathers in the group and tensions were boiling because nobody seemed to understand eachother anymore. There was a new, unfamiliar dynamic at play. A few of these players seemed to think that being in a position of supposed authority gave them the right to browbeat and treat other members of the groups they led like the dirt under their shoe. They were chosen to lead us in game, not act disrespectfully out of game. IC is one thing but translating your IC attitude to your OOC behaviour and relations is simply not acceptable because, most of us aren't survivors of the god damn zombie apocalypse so we've got no right to act the way we act in character, out of character. 

This, combined with a serious lack of respect on all sides, led to an eventual clash with eachother and I ended up stepping away from the group so they could sort things out because; let's face it, I'm just here to have fun and enjoy the bloody video game, not get involved in somebody else's hormonal drama. A few toes were stepped on when I walked out the door but I'd do it all again because, even though this is just a video game, the community is what truly matters. Without a community, this is just another private server.

Community is what matters guys, not your gear, not your ego, not your OOC drama, the community is what matters and without respect, you cannot have a community; large like DayZRP or small like the one I stepped away from.

I really hope you took something from this, I know I sure did.

Paks    17

This is true respect ^

He was a pillar to this community, never forget a legend.

o7

isocade    90

-Snipperino-

I know what you mean, or I hope I know what you mean. I've seen the same sort of thing happen to a bunch of other communities through-out my years. For smaller communities, stuff like this usually means the death of it, but for a large community like this, it just means a drop in enjoyment and players. Hopefully there'll be some way in the future to root out OOC undesirables aside from the current way, which currently stands as "we can remove you if we don't like you".

Volke    131

While your story has many lessons within it that we can all take away from it, I sadly don't see things changing. Hopefully people take something from this thread but any online community is very much like highschool with gossip, drama, egos and all the like. The things that happen on here are often mirrors of the real world (except extremely less common or less likely at least). Sure it would be nice to have people be able to separate IC and OOC better along with players having more respect; but I doubt this will change due to the fact that in general...people just don't care. The best you can do is worry about yourself and try to find people who hold values the same that you do. Still, thanks for sharing the story.

Charlie    0

It's sad but it's something I see sometimes. I've been in one group where most of the members leave the community because of how they treat each other OOC. Personally I love having great banter sessions with people and no one should ever bring IC to OOC or OOC to IC. In my eyes both must remain separate or else people will clash even more as characters develop. When you see some drama incoming you can do 2 things. Either stay and survive the winter (sort it out) or go on holiday and wait for the weather to blow over. ( what you did take a step back and just wait). Either way pretty much sucks but eh there isn't any other way

Sounds like your group put people in leadership who didn't belong there. That's hardly an issue with the DayZRP community, that's on you guys.

That said, there do seem to be latent issues with IC hate getting taken OOC, but it ain't the sole problem here.

Mr Shank    22

You are right about one thing, the amount of people who take IC issues and make them OOC issues fucking pisses me off. Just because I don't like a character, doesn't mean I dislike the person who plays them. Isn't that the whole fucking point of Role Play; playing someone who doesn't necessarily represent you?