Server time: 2019-02-20, 10:40 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Nihoolious

Change the Whitelist

Should the current whitelist be changed?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the same time making the whitelist process harder will just deter people from taking the time to go through it. This is a game and should be fun not an interrogation process.

The layout of the newer whitelist system is not the problem. The questions and lack of free writing are.

Honestly some of the multiple choice questions are damn right insulting to people the answers are so dumb and far out for some questions that there can only be one possible answer to pick you wouldnt even need to read the rules for some of them the answer is so obvious.

Now to the lack of free writing part back in my day it was i believe 1000 characters on KOS alone. now days the only free writing we have is for the lore and a short backstory which probably isnt even read properly anyway just skimmed as im pretty sure its just to test that you have a competent level of english.

I think there should be some more free writing questions with scenarios about things that will happen often such as:

you meet your friend viktor in kabanino, A lady approaches and states "drop your weapons or I will kill you" towards your friend viktor you then decide to shoot the lady killing her. Please explain in (insert character amount) what rule allowed you to kill this woman and why you were justified in shooting her.

something of that structure at least adding a few of these maybe 2/3 shouldnt deter people as the answers could be short if explained correctly and would help people understand how rules come into play regarding common situations. On top of tweeking some of the multiple choice questions to not be super easy like they are now and I think the whitelist would be fine.

I'll try to keep this short.

It is becoming more and more apparent that newer players (2 months or less of age) do not full understanding the rules despite having passed the whitelist application. Just as an example, look at these recent reports:

[spoiler=Reports]

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-Invalid-Execution-NWAF-10-21-2016

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-KoS-in-Kamarovo-10-23-16-12-00-EST

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-KOS-RDM-in-Stary-Sobor-10-21-2016-approx-07-00

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-KOS-in-Kabanino-10-20-16-7-00-05

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-Myshkino-Tents-Invalid-Execution-BadRP-3-00-10-28-2016

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-NWAF-Not-Sure

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-Green-Mountain-Camp-Invalid-Execution-RDM-9-00-10-27-16

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-Bad-RP-Invalid-Initiation-Kabanino-22-20-22-30-26-10-2016

In these reports we see multiple signs of newer players not understanding the rules. This comes in the form of false reports and general misunderstanding of the rules they whitelisted with resulting in their ban. When new players get report and banned, I'd say over half the time they don't continue playing as the drama would have left a bad taste in their mouth. This is obviously not good for DayZRP in the long run as it stagnates the growth when there isn't a YouTuber/streamer wave taking place.

Now how do we remedy this? How about starting at the firs thing new players have to face on DayZRP: The Whitelist. The straight answer, the new whitelist is flawed heavily. The multiple choice questions range from too easy to not descriptive enough when it comes to quizzing new players about the rules they supposedly just read. This is main problem with the current whitelist and the main obstacle because lets be honest, the backstory portion is not hard at all. Just make a super soldier backround or be a farmer and you are good to go. There are two things we can to do fix this whitelist:

Reinstate the old whitelist system from years ago. 

Members from 2014 and earlier will remember the old whitelist. It was debateably more challenging but at the same time it required a better understanding of the rules in order to get whitelisted.

Fix the current whitelist system. 

Best way to do this? Remove the multiple choice questions and require newplayers to give detailed summaries of the rule in question as well has listing examples of how these rules would operate in the server.

If anyone has anything to add say so below and I'll add it in.

+1, admins have plenty of time to do those whitelists again as Rolle is only busy with doing their work.

old whitelist was way better but the current one is easier and quicker to check for the admins so yeah...

It reduced the quality of the RPers we receive through the new whitelist and it increases rulebreakers.

The old whitelist was much better.

The layout of the newer whitelist system is not the problem. The questions and lack of free writing are.

Honestly some of the multiple choice questions are damn right insulting to people 1.the answers are so dumb and far out for some questions that there can only be one possible answer to pick you wouldnt even need to read the rules for some of them the answer is so obvious.

Now to the lack of free writing part back in my day it was i believe 1000 characters on KOS alone. now days the only free writing we have is for the lore and a short backstory 2. which probably isnt even read properly anyway just skimmed as im pretty sure its just to test that you have a competent level of english.

3. I think there should be some more free writing questions with scenarios about things that will happen often such as:

you meet your friend viktor in kabanino, A lady approaches and states "drop your weapons or I will kill you" towards your friend viktor you then decide to shoot the lady killing her. Please explain in (insert character amount) what rule allowed you to kill this woman and why you were justified in shooting her.

something of that structure at least adding a few of these maybe 2/3 shouldnt deter people as the answers could be short if explained correctly and would help people understand how rules come into play regarding common situations. On top of tweeking some of the multiple choice questions to not be super easy like they are now and I think the whitelist would be fine.

I marked some things in red:

1. I agree with what you have written here. Some answers to questions are very easy. When it comes to questions we have to make sure that every answer can be find on the rule/newcomer page.

However, if you dont understand the rules, then you will have trouble answering the ingame scenario-questions. Hence why I think these questions should to write out - no multiple answers to just choose and click.

2. We read every backstory. I would have to ask Rolle for statistics but if I take a wild guess around 50 to 60% of the whitelists we get, get rejected (either wrong questions or backstory does not fit the lore)

3. See 1. I agree that in order to see if someone actually understands the rules, they should answer some ingame-scenario questions with they own words - explaining the rule or explaining what to do.

The only problem I see with the old whitelist system is that it was based on "when is it allowed to kill someone" and not having the focus on roleplay.

Explaing the KoS rule - which is heavily based on when it is allowed to shoot someone, is what we wanted to get away from - having the focus on roleplay and what to do in certain situations. Writing down the rules with your own words, KoS, NLR, and so on, means that you have to understand the rules - however - its based on "non KoS" instead of roleplay. I am not too sure if I am able to explain good enough what I mean...Hope you still understand.

So, finding the middle path would be my goal between multiple choice questions and writing dows answers for ingame scenarios.

When I joined the community, back in 2013, it was MUCH more difficult to get in. The thing is though, it wasn't just difficult for the sake of being difficult or exclusive. The old whitelist certainly forced you to have a better grasp on the rules than the current version. I remember when I had to re-whitelist a few months ago with my friend who had also played with me, back in 2013. We didn't remember the whitelist being as easy as it was for us this time around, it was essentially a matter of finding the rule and therefore finding the answer without fully taking in what that rule was exactly.

Now I am fully aware that the old whitelist was probably a pain in the ass for the admins to get through for people, but as we can all agree, it certainly made sure that the new people understood the rules a lot better than the current iteration. I believe, perhaps, that I have come up with a compromise. If we add in essentially the same questions about the same rules but worded differently with different examples, then I believe we would be getting almost the same effect as the people writing out 500 character responses about the rule at hand. If you can comprehend what rule is broken, given X situation, multiple times, through multiple X situations then I would argue you would have a proper understanding of the rules.

Hopefully that helps. +1

I remember getting denied two or three times before finally being allowed in, the white-list back then definitely did the job, despite being challenging, I knew the damn rules. I too have noticed recently that some of the newer people being allowed through are causing havoc, this morning I was RDMd by an individual who hasn't even been here for more than a day. It's upsetting.

DayZRP lost some fine roleplayers after they have seen the whitelist system and misjudged the true seriousness and quality of this community.

Old is Gold. +1