Server time: 2017-08-23, 10:14

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
Nihoolious

Change the Whitelist

Should the current whitelist be changed?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should the current whitelist be changed?

• Yes
    • No

Nihoolious    1122

I'll try to keep this short.

It is becoming more and more apparent that newer players (2 months or less of age) do not full understanding the rules despite having passed the whitelist application. Just as an example, look at these recent reports:

[spoiler=Reports]

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-Invalid-Execution-NWAF-10-21-2016

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-KoS-in-Kamarovo-10-23-16-12-00-EST

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-KOS-RDM-in-Stary-Sobor-10-21-2016-approx-07-00

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-KOS-in-Kabanino-10-20-16-7-00-05

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-Myshkino-Tents-Invalid-Execution-BadRP-3-00-10-28-2016

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-NWAF-Not-Sure

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-Green-Mountain-Camp-Invalid-Execution-RDM-9-00-10-27-16

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S1-Bad-RP-Invalid-Initiation-Kabanino-22-20-22-30-26-10-2016

In these reports we see multiple signs of newer players not understanding the rules. This comes in the form of false reports and general misunderstanding of the rules they whitelisted with resulting in their ban. When new players get report and banned, I'd say over half the time they don't continue playing as the drama would have left a bad taste in their mouth. This is obviously not good for DayZRP in the long run as it stagnates the growth when there isn't a YouTuber/streamer wave taking place.

Now how do we remedy this? How about starting at the firs thing new players have to face on DayZRP: The Whitelist. The straight answer, the new whitelist is flawed heavily. The multiple choice questions range from too easy to not descriptive enough when it comes to quizzing new players about the rules they supposedly just read. This is main problem with the current whitelist and the main obstacle because lets be honest, the backstory portion is not hard at all. Just make a super soldier backround or be a farmer and you are good to go. There are two things we can to do fix this whitelist:

Reinstate the old whitelist system from years ago. 

Members from 2014 and earlier will remember the old whitelist. It was debateably more challenging but at the same time it required a better understanding of the rules in order to get whitelisted.

Fix the current whitelist system. 

Best way to do this? Remove the multiple choice questions and require newplayers to give detailed summaries of the rule in question as well has listing examples of how these rules would operate in the server.

If anyone has anything to add say so below and I'll add it in.

I agree that the whitelist should become more thorough. This'll reduce the staff's workload by a portion.

I agree. New people should understand the rules, not just look for the answer in the rules with a new tab open. People may say that the old white list was slow, but it made the new players read through the rules, and apply it to a situation through short answer. That's what learning is right? Applying what you learned in a real situation.

+1

Whitelisting was a bitch in the day but i knew the ruels well.. 500 word description per rule made sure you knew EVERY ruel. And it seems as if no one knows the rules. The whitelist now is a multiple choice test which is fucking dumb. i busted my ass to get into this community!!

Koala Kozak    14

I agree, it was a tad annoying coming back to the not so chill RP where so many people are breaking the most basic rules, sure i was a tad Rusty when i jumped back in, but if i have to make one thing really clear, is that the Whitelist isn't that good, and i enjoyed the old one with having to explain NLR and RDM, that pretty much got the point to a load of players before they Jumped in, again as usual i'm rambling but i hope i'm contributing a little bit :)

Nihoolious    1122

old whitelist was way better but the current one is easier and quicker to check for the admins so yeah...

Quicker and easier to get them accepted, but is that worth all the reports and rulebreaks they end up doing as a result?

Spartan    1026

old whitelist was way better but the current one is easier and quicker to check for the admins so yeah...

Quicker and easier to get them accepted, but is that worth all the reports and rulebreaks they end up doing as a result?

Dont get me wrong, i prefer the old whitelist and always said that we never should have changed. I helped peeps making it through the current whitelist as a GM and I helped people with the old whitelist as a CH and to be honest.. the old one was harder, alot harder.

The staff team are currently looking at ways to improve upon the current whitelisting system. We of course welcome the suggestion brought forward yourselves.

However we need to remember that we were all new once and we all still do make mistakes from time to time. Sure I could go on and say we need to present ourselves as role models for the new members. However this is not something that could be enforced and having people reluctantly helping would only hinder our efforts. All we can do is be a little tolerant of them in their early days. Sure this will not help the issue with reports but if the majority of new members are able to improve and remain community members then we have a plus somewhere at least.

Goku    61

As much as I like the idea I'm going to have to say no to this. The problem with the old whitelist process was that there was only so many ways someone could describe the KoS and NLR rule without making it sound similar to someone else's. I think the whitelist should be more difficult however the old system doesn't need to be implemented, the new one just needs to be made slightly more difficult.

I do like the idea, but using the old system isn't the way to do it. Move forward not back. -1 from me man.

Voodoo    371

Ive been all for the whitelist to change back for a long time +1

Nihoolious    1122

As much as I like the idea I'm going to have to say no to this. The problem with the old whitelist process was that there was only so many ways someone could describe the KoS and NLR rule without making it sound similar to someone else's. I think the whitelist should be more difficult however the old system doesn't need to be implemented, the new one just needs to be made slightly more difficult.

I do like the idea, but using the old system isn't the way to do it. Move forward not back. -1 from me man.

I don't think the problem should be the descriptions being similar as long as it is the correct description of the rule.

Back when I whitelisted we had a lot of freehand explanations, and only 3 chances.

The freehand explanations ensured that people knew how these rules worked. Of course the only explanations was KoS and NLR, but you had to properly understand the rules before getting accepted. Now, it is really now that hard to get a friends who's already here, and ask them the answer to the multiple choice questions. Not only that, but they get 5 chances. Hell, even 6. If you need 6 chances then.. wow.

As I've stated in the staff forums, I believe we need both multiple choice questions and freehand explanations, and only 3 chances, no exceptions. I've seen a few friends do this whitelist, it is way to easy and quick compared to what is used to be. Now you can argue that freehand explanations means more for the admin team, and while that is true, I think it will greatly improve the quality of RP, and ensure new people fully understand the rules and the quality of RP we expect here.

Castiel    1124

I think it should be 3 attempts at the most. But as said above we are working on ways to improve the current system.

I've brought this up to the staff team and we are talking about it. Granted at the end of the day it's up to rolle and admins. I feel though we can tweak some stuff to make it better.

CorbSlayer    35

I agree. When i whitelisted a similar system was in place. To apply you had to give detailed descriptions of rules, and i think it would be more beneficial to the community and to new players as it would help them understand the rules better.

However this would create some more work for staff while reviewing applications, but i think it would be worth it if it meant reducing the amount of rule breaks that occur.

Volke    132

If the whitelist saves Admin and staff much needed time as I've heard it does; then it should stay as it is. Whether you write the answers or select them from choice; you are still demonstrating the knowledge. Though with that said; I can see tweaking being a relative easy fix that leads to an improved whitelist. Hopefully when the new rules draft falls through it leads to a review of the whitelist. Perhaps there needs to be additions/removals of questions of ones that have a positive effect that people grasp and removal of ones that don't. With that said though - the easiest band-aid fix is what Castie said which would be lowering it to 3 attempts. I still fail to see why 5 attempts for a multiple choice test is required. If you can't get it right 3 times than you shouldn't be on the server.

So overall, while yes the whitelist certainly needs tweaking; I'm hoping it is more influenced by the upcoming rules draft, and maybe perhaps a lowering of white-list attempts of 5 to 3. But due to me half-half answer, I won't be voting on the poll.

I think it should be 3 attempts at the most. But as said above we are working on ways to improve the current system.

I +1 this 100%.

If they want to use the excuse it causes more work on staff... Let the report section speak for itself.

I +1 this 100%.

If they want to use the excuse it causes more work on staff... Let the report section speak for itself.

This ^

Honestly, If you want less work on staff, than stop it where it starts.

Making them describe the rules would make it much much harder for the admins to look at every application when the multiple choice test can check itself. -1

Kaleb    14

From what I see the old whitelist took a lot of time out of staff. With the new one they can focus on other tasks but I do agree that it seems like a lot of time that staff saved from switching systems is now put into countless reports from new players not understanding the rules. 

However, I say no to changing because regardless of this, DayZRP could use plenty of new players and popularity. If someone really wants to be on here and stay on here, they will read the rules accordingly and take the steps to be an acceptable community member. Follow the rules or face the consequences. It's as simple as that. A complicated and long whitelisting process loses the possibility of growth in my opinion. I made my DayZRP account in April of 2015, saw the whitelisting process and decided it wasn't worth it after my first attempt was denied after hours of working on it (I also was rather busy at the time.). It wasn't until December of 2015 where I applied again, which was after the whitelist system was changed. I wanted to be a part of the community and I did my part in understanding the rules both in game and on forum. 

Basically, it's the players responsibility to understand the rules as the resources have already been laid out by staff for them to learn. If they don't own up to being a part of a whitelisted community, they're unfit to be a part of it. Staff shouldn't have to hold their hands and make them write essays.

Sounds good to me, hopefully they'll find a compromise that wont suffocate the admins at the same time.