Aeryes

AfterMath - United States of America. [Not Official]

Aeryes    127

Not official.

yGTHxzB.png

hd3RY1T.png

[mp3]https://puu.sh/rYMDQ/053bdb89c6.mp3[/mp3]

Synopsis:

The United States Of America responded to the infection at a fast and effective pace at first even though they underestimated its potency. The infection was first seen in a town near San Francisco named Oakland, the infection is thought to have been introduced into the country by a native of Chernarus who traveled there on a vacation. Within days the infection had already spread to other areas around Oakland such as Berkeley, Alameda and of course the city of San Francisco itself. The initial threat of the infection was underestimated and at first medical professionals passed it of as a bad case of the flu virus which is thought by some to have shown similar symptoms as the infection in it's earlier stages.

cdc-campus-photo.jpg

As the days went on cases began to be documented in local hospitals of people "awakening from death". The CDC (Center For Disease Control) was fast to respond, after hearing about what had happened in Chernarus the rumors were taken very seriously and the government moved in to take control of the situation. Units of the National Guard were deployed to locations around the Bay Area to check every person entering the area by means of vehicle and all public transportation including local airports were shut down, essentially the entire Bay Area was put under quarantine.

The infection was far more potent than they had anticipated and the CDC along with other leading government and international organisations knew not how to fix it. A cure seemed impossible while containment seemed improbable. The situation began to turn from bad to worse in a short amount of time. The National Guard Units that were patrolling the perimeter set up around the Bay Area were reinforced with authorities from surrounding areas of Walnut creek and as far East as Brentwood. The Army, busy elsewhere in the country setting up lines of defense and preparing for the worst did not show. The infected began to take over the Bay Area as people were shot down for just coming within a mile of the perimeter. Many people took to the seas and were shot down by Naval vessels of The Coast Guard and Navy. While many did not survive, those that did would have a story to tell. The infected made their way towards the perimeter in overwheleming numbers and the military could not hold strong. The infected people made their way North, South and East towards already evacuated areas. In desperate need of a solution the President authorized under his command the use of restricted weapons such as bio-weapons and small ballistic missiles. The hordes of infected did not seem affected by the bio-weapons that were introduced and the ballistic missiles could not deal with the vast hordes that had formed. Being Pushed further and further back from the West the country began to crumble, establishment vanished as each town became overran with infected.

The Infected:

A close up of an infected individual:

d42a092c24907eee0189e0a6290dd15f.jpg

The infection causes skin conditions in many infected individuals which indicates tissue breakdown:

74594322e8766ba506c99d7ccfe7d6a4.jpg

27e5a8f9989cf021f3a417ff22fc0822.jpg

The Government:

Army personnel set up a perimeter near Seattle Washington.

us-military-1.jpg

Presidents last address:

_MG_0135-red.jpg

A few weeks later and The United States Of America was in dismay. With little left to work towards the President made his final address to the people urging them to stay safe and fight on. The Presidents whereabouts are unknown. The government is shattered with only rogue elements remaining.

Little else is known about the aftermath of the infection as communications failed shortly after the Presidents address.

Research:

Huge amounts of time and money were spent on research for a cure to the infection. Many sources suggest that these efforts were futile. The Americans who were already to busy investing in big business were blind to see the true danger of the infection until it was too late. The infection according to the reports of many at the CDC showed that the infection which the Americans thought to be a complex virus was capable of multiple RNA mutations at an extreme rate of speed. The mutation rate is a critical parameter for understanding viral evolution and has important practical implications. To try and combat the infection they administered mutagens to some of the infected individuals that they studied but to no avail, the mutagens had no effect on the aggressiveness of the infection. Slight changes of the mutation rate can also determine whether or not some viral infections are cleared by the host immune system and can produce dramatic differences in viral fitness and virulence, clearly stressing the need to have accurate estimates. However, our knowledge of viral mutation rates is somewhat incomplete, partly due to the inherent difficulty of measuring a rare and random event but also due to several sources of bias, inaccuracy, and terminological confusion. One goal of the United States was to work to provide an update of published mutation rate estimates, since the last authoritative reviews on viral mutation rates were published more than a decade ago, hoping this research might shed some light on the infections virulency and potency.

As a consequence of the lack of proofreading activity of RNA virus polymerases, new viral genetic variants are constantly created. When the United States tried to combat this they ended up just aiding the speedup of viral mutations.  RNA viruses readily adapt to changing environmental conditions. Therefore, the high mutation rate of RNA viruses compared with DNA organisms is responsible for their enormous adaptive capacity which was totally underestimated by the CDC and other organisations.

One big issue surrounding the research was both the power grid and time. As the rest of the country began to crumble the CDC fought on against both time and power, they had little fuel to go of and found themselves running on air after the military broke down and dissipated.

Military Stats:

The United States Armed Forces are the federal armed forces of the United States. They consist of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard. The head of the armed forces is the President who carries out all major functions in regards to policy and decision making. The United States spends about $580.3 billion annually to fund its military forces which is far above what any other country was spending around the time of the outbreak.

Stats:

Active Personnel: 1,281,900

Reserve: 801,200

The military was least prepared for the infection. While carrying out major operations in other countries a huge amount of resources were invested elsewhere when the infection hit hard. Base protection was not fully enforced and large hordes of infected found their way through the wire fences of bases such as Travis AFB, Beale AFB and Edwards AFB in California. The Air Force conducted huge air raids on cities that were overwhelmed by the infected. These raids had little effect on their numbers due to the high rise buildings getting in the way of said air raids. As time progressed the armed forces were forced further and further east which caused huge tensions in Washington as they all knew that the dead were getting closer to their doorsteps. As people fled the huge cities mass panic erupted which stressed the armed forces limited resources even further. Over the course of a few short weeks the armed forces failed and dissipated leaving the eastern coast vulnerable and ultimately leading to the fall of The United States.

Cipher    0

This is definitely something. I can see you put a significant amount of effort into it, all I can say is I want to hear what the Loremaster input is.

Aeryes    127

Ill be honest. I love writing lore, it's one of my favourite things to do here. I will do some finishing touches after I get back from the shop. Thanks for the feedback.

Faith    731

Ill be honest. I love writing lore, it's one of my favourite things to do here. I will do some finishing touches after I get back from the shop. Thanks for the feedback.

Sign up for loremaster. Be nice to see someone write Post and Pat's Continuation Series

Wumby    0

Sign up for loremaster. Be nice to see someone write Post and Pat's Continuation Series

To the op: this is great stuff Aeryes. Real fun to read. 

To hope: I want to see Post and Pat write Post and Pats continuation series :(

Unknown Entity    126

I liked the continuation series. In fact, I loved them.

They opened up possibilities for new groups, gave more depth into the lore, and were simply interesting.

I haven't read this, but the intention is clear. If you enjoy writing Lore's op, maybe sign up for LM, DayZRP needs more depth these days.

Aeryes    127

I would but I do not have 300 posts. I want my posts to be good quality lore mainly.

Rory    1564

I thought this was the loremaster's job?

This.

Sign in to follow this