Server time: 2017-10-23, 19:01
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Volke

Gear RP Discussion

Volke    131

So I've been rolling around IG looking for RP, and I've heard from many people to head up to Stary Yar, saying there is a settlement up there.  So I decided to trek north and headed to Stary Yar but instead of being met with RP, I was met with tents.  And...I don't know what to think about this.  And I know I wouldn't believe it until I saw it myself. 25+ tents of varying sizes (mostly being military tents filled to the brim of random stuff...).  I finally understand the huge frame drop in the north now.  I understand settlements and the like but is this alright?  It's gotten to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if multiple people are losing frames up in the north.  

I figured when people spoke about "Gear RP" , I've always thought of it as a joke: myself being a "filthy campfire Rper".  I mean...I get having a stash but seriously?  I get people can RP as they like but is this alright - is this the mentality of DayZRP now?  Do people actually come on the server to just not KOS and hoard endless supplies?  I was just absolutely shocked and kinda still am.  I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw the town literally filled with tents.  (Also I don't know how Duping is since I've never tried it but apart of me wonders that as well.)  I figured I'd post a thread about it and hopefully get a discussion going and get others thoughts about it.   

((There are a lot more tents than I took screenshots of, but anyways here they are))

Some of the tents have 240+ slots filled in them.

17D392DBC0E0E74736593455E1DA3EF5862AA359

AE3989709600B242802BC88E56659D7B083B3D37

D4640D70B937F97B62F1CB2AC59CB95EE72DE618

2E5B622C9F3EFB98F998672E7969352172B2EC1B

A6A8C743D225C7F732B45F804D266C458E98DA52

AB0AD7B21B0A507C44C7058CD822A4FEF68BB2E6

175D240EA72575F236E16894D92A0C3A5DB2194D

8FA0FDA8D66FE2F32D0A98F9460914A23E88E6A8

0B4C370630CDC4971C60BC3C6AAD8FDB8EEBB678

5416A573E64143556C9BBAC3A47587DE240E82B4

70689A0ECFB99FF6AC265E7D21C19AC40E008C01

Husky    0

Jesus christ.

Yeah there is no way that is not having an impact on the servers performance, i'm all in for trading camps but there should be a limit because that right there s pretty overkill.

Rolle pls nuke

Oyface    342

I've been up there a few times, and even though they might have more tents than they could ever need, I don't see a problem with it if it's a legit settlement (which it is). Now, if the only thing they ever did was go find gear and bring it back, that would be another story. But I know for a fact that at least most of these guys do plenty of legit RP as well. :)

Basically, as long as it's not the only thing people do, I see no issue with having huge amounts of storage around in real settlements.

And I haven't really had any game performance issues up there, but I might just be lucky.

AndreyQ    0

Well, personally I do not like big camps like that. I don't mind stashes but having that many tents just to fill them with the same item is a bit too much. I mean why would you need 12 disinfected sprays, 9 axes, 23 wheel repair kits?

Dodge    0

Jesus christ.

Yeah there is no way that is not having an impact on the servers performance, i'm all in for trading camps but there should be a limit because that right there s pretty overkill.

Rolle pls nuke

+1, #stopthehoarding

Cid    333

Calm down guys it really isn't that serious. You really don't need all of that.

Sasha    0

It doesn't only affect performance it also breaks the loot economy to shit. DayZ doesn't really handle tent-inventories in the most efficient way performance wise either.

Skeetsi    0

Decided to hop ig aswell after a few weeks break and went up north after a guy told me about this ic. To be fair the pictures you've taken are 1/6 of the actual number of tents and stuff in them. When we started to be near the area we all got huge frame drops and started to lag out. I saw my lads suddenly speeding past me with the speed of light.

The amount of organizing it's taken to manage all those tents is mindblowing. I feel like I'm doing OCD like organizing with my backpack from time to time but god damn what I witnessed was beyond that.

Skinner    506

I am all for people having a few tents to supply their camp with. In life we had a camp with about 4 military tents, some had food, some had weapons and ammo for the security staff, some had clothing, and some had all sorts of military supplies. This was all needed and used IC when people visited the camp, most were injured and we used this gear as props to facilitate the RP.

However, this is the opposite extreme and it needs to stop. If you're not going to use it all and it's not going to be used to facilitate roleplay then what does anyone need all that crap for? Are you storing up to host a server event or something??

Leon_Idas    0

Its honestly upsetting, there is virtually no need for that amount of stuff, for those of us with lower end computers, 9 frames anywhere near the town.

Dishes    159

Well here's what I think. People who run "settlements" normally don't wander around the map like a lot of others do, so either they are in their settlement RPing with themselves, others who wander by, or out scavenging. They normally keep away from confrontation so they just start building and building on all the "gear" they have collected over the time. No, I really don't think this is okay, especially not having an entire tent just full of zucchinis like... what are you using all those for? ...I don't really want to know.

But yeah, it also 100% does effect server performance. I had explained this somewhere before, but with all the tents on a server, and the huge amount of stuff inside them, it's just more and more the server has to load. Since they don't despawn like other loot, the number of them just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Same issue happened with farm plots a while back, and it's why Rolle had reset persistence on that server, to get rid of them because it was causing so much weight on the server.

In short though, no, I really don't think this is right. I can understand maybe like a couple tents, organized between medical, weapons, food and clothing... but a tent filled with tons of just one item? That's not only unrealistic but simply meaningless.

Poppy    378

Wow... This sounds crazy...

25 tents sounds riddicolous and I do not see the point of hoarding so much shit. As pointed above it breaks the server in more than one way.

+1 Stop the hoarding.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand that gear is important to some people and with all right, the basic game is afterall about gear. But 25 tents?

25 tents... Please tell me you are joking

Leon_Idas    0

Wow... This sounds crazy...

25 tents sounds riddicolous and I do not see the point of hoarding so much shit. As pointed above it breaks the server in more than one way.

+1 Stop the hoarding.

25 tents... Please tell me you are joking

Easily between the mil tents, and the civ tents.

Skeetsi    0

Please don't think of me as a bad man when I empty this kind of tents for the sake of me frames.

Keira    1475

I myself (and this is just my own opinion, btw) did not realize the extent of this settlement, and while I do not like the idea of making rules to limit settlements or stashes, there is no way this is realistic or feasible. I do not see any military gear, however, gear is gear and there is no need for all of this stuff, trading or not, military or not. I'm not even sure what groups would be using this stuff since the Roamers are no longer trading? Why is the amount of this much stuff so necessary? Items do not make RP. The items can help, sure, and certain game aspects like the need for food and water make certain items important, but to this extent, I cannot see any viable reason.

Given the glitches with farmed items and garden plots right now, I can only speculate that this has to be partially responsible for some of the lag and other issues the servers have been experiencing.

Castiel    1124

This is... Excessive, to say the least. I'm all for settlements but this is gear hoarding.

Jade    219

Hmm definitely not needed to that extent.

Cipher    0

Black Fox has 5 military tents and two of them are empty, along with three small blue tents. I don't plan on getting anymore.

I feel like settlement RP is great but when it comes to server performance that is when it needs to stop. The Refuge had this problem, we had maybe 9 or 10 tents in the beginning which was perfect IMO but then people just kept bringing tents and it became a shitshow IMO. 25 frames is not fun

To be honest, I really don't see why people are freaking out over this. I don't see how this is GearRp either. Their Rp doesn't focuse on the gear itself but more on having a settlement which involves stocking supplies. Honestly, the first time I went there, I was really surprised how big it was too, but instead of initiating a discussion filled with negative aimed towards certain people, I just tought it was pretty cool and RP'ed accordingly.

"Why do they need all of this stuff" Why would you care? It's their settlement, and having a lot of supplies gives a sense of progress to them.

I just don't see why people are getting rallied up over this. Unless it negatively affects you (Other than a few frame drops), why does this "issue" need to be brought up.

This community can be so negative sometime... Smh

Cipher    0

To be honest, I really don't see why people are freaking out over this. I don't see how this is GearRp either. Their Rp doesn't focuse on the gear itself but more on having a settlement which involves stocking supplies. Honestly, the first time I went there, I was really surprised how big it was too, but instead of initiating a discussion filled with negative aimed towards certain people, I just tought it was pretty cool and RP'ed accordingly.

"Why do they need all of this stuff" Why would you care? It's their settlement, and having a lot of supplies gives a sense of progress to them.

I just don't see why people are getting rallied up over this. Unless it negatively affects you (Other than a few frame drops), why does this "issue" need to be brought up.

This community can be so negative sometime... Smh

I would so love to agree with you but huge camps like this negatively effect server performance and loot tables across the map. Not to mention client performance whenever people get in proximity. 100+ frames to 25 frames and desync is not okay, at all. Which is why people are up in arms about it.

If there were no problems when it came to server or client performance, then I wouldn't care. Gearwhore away. But ya gotta think about how it effects other players. Less items are spawning in for the entire server because of all of the items rotting in their camp

Voodoo    492

Its been happening on and off for a while. I like the idea of people setting up camps and such but hording a lot of supplies just plays up the server. Although I do know why its done, its to keep the tents where they are. A lot of people would always steal the tents back when outrun made a camp and so we resorted to putting items in every slot just to make it a pain should someone want to take the tent.

Ive said it time and again, there are not enough serious bandit groups to fear on the server that would put an brake on how these camps expand and usually if any bandit group does come around they are met with reports all because someone lost a backpack which eventually leads to that group disbanding (add in the fact that certain staff want a full RP session to take place before a robbery and you have a recipe for a safe gear hording campfire server). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯