Server time: 2017-08-17, 06:04

Sign in to follow this  

PSA: KOS Rule and It's Requirements.

Seen a lot of misconceptions floating about in the reports section so I figured I'd pop out a PSA to assist with them.

One common misconception is 'making contact' or 'roleplaying before an initiation'. Let's take a gander at the rule:

848e431760.png

'You have to make contact' is a pretty simple concept. It simply means 'contact'; to talk. The basic initiation covers this requirement. Bandits are not required to have conversation with you before they initiate. They are not required to 'roleplay' with you before the initiation either. the initiation is their contact and roleplay.

'You have to make your hostile intention clear and unambiguous' is slightly more confusing.

Here which one of these is more hostile:

'You might want to put you weapon away, sir. Please'

Or

'Drop the gun, dickbag or I'll fucking kill you...'

The second one is clearly hostile and unambiguous. It also covers the next requirement of giving clear commands of what you want your victim to do...'drop the gun'.

You may then chose to comply or not. Please this guide on how to properly comply : The Art of Complying

I hope this is helpful to some new people who are confused. 

Have a wonderful day. Feel free to comment, like and subscribe for all your rule explainations. Notice: there is a $10.00 fee for questions answered and/or ban appeal lawyering.

Thank you sir, you conveyed this message nicely and quite efficient as well I might add. A jolly good job this one.

Kat    101

+1 my husband.  I think you covered that nicely

Castiel    1124

Well said, Thumper. Hopefully this clears some things up for people.

William    397

This is a good thread. That extra RP is nice before someone initiates, but it's not required

Wait so I don't have to sit down by a campfire, tell my life story and trade 5.56 before I initiate? Thats good to now.

That's only a requirement if you don't want to get reported instantly.

Seen a lot of misconceptions floating about in the reports section so I figured I'd pop out a PSA to assist with them.

One common misconception is 'making contact' or 'roleplaying before an initiation'. Let's take a gander at the rule:

848e431760.png

'You have to make contact' is a pretty simple concept. It simply means 'contact'; to talk. The basic initiation covers this requirement. Bandits are not required to have conversation with you before they initiate. They are not required to 'roleplay' with you before the initiation either. the initiation is their contact and roleplay.

'You have to make your hostile intention clear and unambiguous' is slightly more confusing.

Here which one of these is more hostile:

'You might want to put you weapon away, sir. Please'

Or

'Drop the gun, dickbag or I'll fucking kill you...'

The second one is clearly hostile and unambiguous. It also covers the next requirement of giving clear commands of what you want your victim to do...'drop the gun'.

You may then chose to comply or not. Please this guide on how to properly comply : The Art of Complying

I hope this is helpful to some new people who are confused. 

Have a wonderful day. Feel free to comment, like and subscribe for all your rule explainations. Notice: there is a $10.00 fee for questions answered and/or ban appeal lawyering.

That fact that this needs to be said makes me want to bringing back report discussions or false reports if you made a report because you didn't know the rules you got banned for wasting staff time. 

Seems to me once you pass the whitelist you don't need to know the rules any more.

That fact that this needs to be said makes me want to bringing back report discussions or false reports if you made a report because you didn't know the rules you got banned for wasting staff time. 

Seems to me once you pass the whitelist you don't need to know the rules any more.

False reports are still a thing, however now we explain the situation and why there is no rulebreaks, and then we ask the OP how to proceed. If they wish to proceed, they get hit with a false report ban. If not, it'll just get closed.

Skinner    422

Hopefully this will get through to a certain subset of people who say things like "Why are you robbing me? You don't even KNOW me!" and "Why are you initiating on me, we just met!" like we need to be on a first name basis with one another in order for me to tell you to put your fucking hands up.

Nihoolious    1091

Hopefully this will get through to a certain subset of people who say things like "Why are you robbing me? You don't even KNOW me!" and "Why are you initiating on me, we just met!" like we need to be on a first name basis with one another in order for me to tell you to put your fucking hands up.

Lets be honest those people dont read the forums. The thread is a good meme though

I don't understand how it's even possible to interpret the rule like that. Hostile actions need no previous hostilities or story times with the other party. You're free to initiate for the gear for example as long as you provide quality rp. Sad that this has to be mentioned though.

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    749

Where was the ban appeal lawyering when I needed it?

Just by reading the report threads here as of late it seems like most reports are salt driven. People need to understandjust because you die you do not have to go and report it.

If this is to be fixed more people need to start countering this with invoking their right to file for a false report. Of course they are so far and in between (false report filings) not a whole lot of people know you can do it. I feel like staff should be able to push for false report verdicts amd or at least suggest it in the existing report thread.

Just doing that will slow down salt reports once a few people are banned for false reporting.

Rolle    2440

The intention of the rules is to have some kind of RP before doing anything hostile,so I disagree with OPs interpretation of the current rules. If the rules are confusing or not clear, I'll make sure to make it a clear requirement in the new rules.

The intention of the rules is to have some kind of RP before doing anything hostile,so I disagree with OPs interpretation of the current rules. If the rules are confusing or not clear, I'll make sure to make it a clear requirement in the new rules.

You can disagree, but this is the way it been since day one. The initiation is the contact requirement. Maybe if you actually played over the years, you have a better understanding of how the rules work in a real world situation, not just an idea or working concept.

Rolle    2440

You can disagree, but this is the way it been since day one. The initiation is the contact requirement. Maybe if you actually played over the years, you have a better understanding of how the rules work in a real world situation, not just an idea or working concept.

If it's how it's been since day 1 then it's perfect timing to change it with introduction of new rules. There was never an intention to allow behavior where individuals or groups only run around the map and initiate on others. After all, DayZRP definitely does not stand for DayZ Rob People .

What kind of sense does that make? I agree wholeheartedly with the OPs current interpretation. What realistic bandit would shuffle around awkwardly with his hands in his pockets making small talk for a few minutes before robbing someone. If anything it'd make a bandit emotionally attached to their victim, which is the opposite of what they wanted.

Idk, I think it's fine as it is

If it's how it's been since day 1 then it's perfect timing to change it with introduction of new rules. There was never an intention to allow behavior where individuals or groups only run around the map and initiate on others. After all, DayZRP definitely does not stand for DayZ Rob People .

So, just to clarify, I can't set up an ambush on a road side anymore, where me and my group are waiting in the bushes for somebody to walk by and then engage?

I think hostile RP usually comes after and during the initiation and not before it. At least that's what I've seen in those 3 years. Of course there's strong arming, but that is usually to avoid a firefight/initiation.

Of course not. That's silly. Its DayZ Report People. Everyone knows that.

But you have to account for ambushes, unsuspecting victims, the art of stealth. I cant campfire roleplay for an hour act all nice and rob people. it makes no sense to do that every time. The initiation has always counted as the contact requirment.

There needs to be some element of surprise when initiating on people. It's a useful tool especially when trying to get the upper hand.

SweetJoe    278

Rolle, your not making sense,  to say that bandits cant initiate until after the first date...you feeling alright?

+1 my husband.  I think you covered that nicely

And what a lovely husband he is.

1+ Thumper, well formulated.