Server time: 2017-08-22, 11:20

Sign in to follow this  
Undead

OOC salt's relation with hostile RP

Undead    243

Hey there everyone I just wanted to make this discussion to talk about the relationship between hostile rp and the amount of ooc salt received recently . Now I'm not looking for the general " people gonna be mad about loosing gear" answers as obviously there's sometimes going to be negative feelings about loosing in game items that took you time to get ( if you're the type to care about gear). What I'm trying to get at here is the absolute ooc distaste and hate for certain types of RP and the inability to meld multiple types of rp together. I'm looking for perspective from those who feel this way as I want to try to understand your way of thinking. As I get the other types of rp. Hanging out with Coda,Chief, Marshal, and the rest of the trust has always been extremely fun for me whenever I've dabbled into the more "campfire" type of RP. So I want to see why exactly some people can't work with more hostile rp on a server where both types of RP are allowed and encouraged.

Now I've heard many things from many different members of groups ( many of which in the North) and I'll put an example of what I've recently seen from a report. 

"What you don't understand here, it's that we don't want you up there, we don't want to initiate on you, we don't want to speak to you or trade with you. Your group is hostile in all manner with us for so long, that we don't care anymore about your storyline, that give us absolutely no RP."

So this is the kind of thing I run into quite often when dealing with people in the North. Now don't get me wrong I've seen some great rpers and people who are more then willing to participate in hostile rp up there however l also run into this all the time.  So I'm using this quote as it does set a general mindset for the type of people I'm asking about here and I'll break the quote down.

"What you don't understand here, it's that we don't want you up there, we don't want to initiate on you, we don't want to speak to you or trade with you.

Now while I can understand not wanting to trade IC with those who have been hostile to you in the past. I see absolutely no reason to have this strong OOC dislike for people coming to your "rp safe space" and creating some interesting and new hostile rp. So your saying that you just don't want to speak with any of our type of hostile players at all because our rp is different then yours? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Your group is hostile in all manner with us for so long, that we don't care anymore about your storyline, that give us absolutely no RP."

Now here is where the meat of the problem is for me. First let's start with my group being hostile to you for so long. It's been what, like 4 days now that we've come up and attacked your camp. I don't know how you define that as long but damn I'm curious what short is. Then the second part of this quote really gets to me. You don't care about our storyline? That's interesting because as far as I'm aware the servers about interacting with other people and not writing out your own little storyline and making sure that every little thing goes to plan . Also, that gives you absolutely no RP? Now I'm gonna have to definitely disagree with you on that front as I think my RP is just fine. We never give "no rp". News flash here people hostile rp is still rp. Rp is not ruined the second an initiation is dropped. If you are tired of the same attacks and different types of torture and the like every day, then give the other party something to work with . Rp is a two way street you only get what you give most of the time as hard as I may try. 

Anywho like I said this is just something I wanted to discuss with different community members and get their opinions on it and perhaps I will be able to understand what their problem is. This quote about is a specific opinion but it mirrors many opinions that I have been hearing about so I'm using it as an example.  I find that having a civil public discussion on it is better then constantly hearing things from people that are borderline ooc hate. Thanks for reading my thread and I look forwards to your replies.

As always for me these types of threads are written at 3 am lying in bed with an iPad so please excuse any spelling and grammatical errors.

if your mean you will be hated OOC and IC

just live with it :D

take pride in it...

Raptor    159

Yo Undead, amen to this. Thanks for sharing, I do believe this is a problem +1

Undead    243

-snip-

I mean yea I can definitely live with it. Overall it's not a problem for me but I'm just confused when groups of people who apparently hold themselves to a higher standard of RP can't work with different types of rp. Being mean IC should have no bearing on people's opinions ooc IMO. I don't want to take pride in being hated ooc because of IC salt ;)

Nihoolious    1119

This is just something we are going to have to live with unfortunately. Over the years hostile rp has been become popular to hate and with it being 2016 and all if you want to invade on their precious bubble you are scum on this Earth. I think we've found a way to provide enough hostile and survivor rp that it doesn't trigger the salt glands in people to erupt but it required a change of playstyle and mindset to accomplish.

As much as it pains me to say it, the old brute force way of doing bandit rp that we all love from 2015 and the mod just isn't looked kindly upon anymore. My advice, adapt to the enviroment. Don't give up because that is exactly what they want you to do. Find a method that works that reduces the salt on both ends and stick with it.

Alex    451

I feel like this is something to bring up with the people you're talking about - not the community. Go talk to them about it man.

Now I have seen a hostage situation of the Horseman's, before I start I do apologize if I am wrong but I do recognize some names on your group page from that situation.

This group had 4 or so hostages in a church. The group stripped them of pretty much everything besides headgear, shoes and pants. Everything else was on the ground. These hostages were all cuffed, getting yelled at, sworn at and threatened whenever they attempted to speak to the hostage takers. Then soon enough the group gets an additional 3 or so hostages - the cycle continues.

Now having gear stripped and RP shut down is a common starter for OOC drama. This sort of thing can be highly frustrating, even punishable in some circumstances depending on the severity of it. IMO, a situation like that would make me pretty tilted too. Being held up for no reason, getting everything stripped and all my RP attempts denied, yeah I'd be pretty tilted. Sometimes these situations are just basically a "Drop wep 10 secs" robbery over the course of 20-60 minutes.

However, that is not always the case.

The right group of bandits can pull off some very well crafted RP which both parties enjoy. And honestly, I have been in that position, and it is not that hard. There have been plenty of popular bandit groups in the past that did this RP very well - SDS, SVR, Volki, B-17, these groups got a lot of OOC hate but they also most of the time had some top notch hostile RP. You just have to find a style thats unique to your group, rather than something like "We're bad and want to survive so we rob people" kinda deal that goes around a lot. And I believe you guys can do that, you just have to try.

As I said in the beginning, I apologize if this post was not you guys, I just recognize some names which is why I'm posting.

A long time ago, back when 'memes' were not a pop culture thing, there was a group of Somalian pirates who got a lot of OOC hate.

Undead    243

I feel like this is something to bring up with the people you're talking about - not the community. Go talk to them about it man.

I mean perhaps if I had a list of people who felt exactly this way then I would be able to talk to them about it. However I don't have that and I definitely feel that it's a discussion that the community can go back and forth on as a whole as it effects pretty much two different sides of the community.

A long time ago, back when 'memes' were not a pop culture thing, there was a group of Somalian pirates who got a lot of OOC hate.

You did but i also witnessed plenty of situations where you guys provided great RP.

This is just something we are going to have to live with unfortunately. Over the years hostile rp has been become popular to hate and with it being 2016 and all if you want to invade on their precious bubble you are scum on this Earth. I think we've found a way to provide enough hostile and survivor rp that it doesn't trigger the salt glands in people to erupt but it required a change of playstyle and mindset to accomplish.

As much as it pains me to say it, the old brute force way of doing bandit rp that we all love from 2015 and the mod just isn't looked kindly upon anymore. My advice, adapt to the enviroment. Don't give up because that is exactly what they want you to do. Find a method that works that reduces the salt on both ends and stick with it.

This^

And people will always get salty over hostile rp no matter how hard you try , just gotta get used to it imo.

Undead    243

-snip-

There is a possibility that this was some of my groups members and if it's the day I was thinking about then yes I know what your talking about. I do my best in every situation to make sure that the hostages can talk to me as they need to be able to or basically I'm throwing rp at a brick wall.  Perhaps in that situation there were firefights or confusion or some circumstance going on but I'm not really sure as I have only rped with a few hostages in a church. However I'm assuming that it was before my group was made and just with some people from the roster as we are all pretty much bandits. 

I apologize for that session if you didn't get enough hands to rp and I will speak to my group members about it. Now let me also state here that especially with my current group our initiations are not about gear 90 percent of the time. It's always about the rp and even if an initiation is dropped with the pretense of getting gear you can be damn sure the rp won't be about that gear. I agree that the right bandit group could do it but basically at this point what I'm getting ooc from people within these types of groups it that they don't even want to try any more.

Edit-

As to our group specifically we are based around pushing people to a centralized sphere of influence in the center of the map and controlling our territory. None of our rp is based around robbing for gear or survival. Also you didn't mention the I.R.A :((. I thought we were fun.

Hex    31

A topic that has been around since the Mod, though it waxes and wanes at times like all things here in DayZRP.

Generally speaking, this sort of thing happens with the rise of powerful bandit groups that dominant the server in terms of number, aggressiveness, skill or other factors that others cannot easily obtain. While generally this only takes place on the side of those on the receiving end of such things....aka its usually not bandits doing this. But there seems to be some strange thing that happens to people who get robbed to much, the begin to think its all targeted at them when in reality bandits are generally just doing what they do, sure they may target a settlement or a trade route, but thats because they are easy targets, and the peoples inability or disinterest in wanting to defend such things, shows they are not worth keeping around in my own opinion.

Look to the mod, you had Haven, Ravens Nest, Diesel Plant, Alter Castle, Solace and a handful of others. All of these places were targeted by bandit groups and defended or fought to the death at least, but those who held these area's continued to return to defend it all again the next day because they dident care about being targeted or being initiated on, it was part of he RP to do this, to take people in and let them RP ( and RP with them ) but also defending them with your own life, that itself was amazing to me. But now we have no such places as people give up after they get their sand castles kicked over by the school bully and cry to Staff about OOC hate.

I blame the Campfire.

-snip-

There is a possibility that this was some of my groups members and if it's the day I was thinking about then yes I know what your talking about. I do my best in every situation to make sure that the hostages can talk to me as they need to be able to or basically I'm throwing rp at a brick wall.  Perhaps in that situation there were firefights or confusion or some circumstance going on but I'm not really sure as I have only rped with a few hostages in a church. However I'm assuming that it was before my group was made and just with some people from the roster as we are all pretty much bandits. 

I apologize for that session if you didn't get enough hands to rp and I will speak to my group members about it. Now let me also state here that especially with my current group our initiations are not about gear 90 percent of the time. It's always about the rp and even if an initiation is dropped with the pretense of getting gear you can be damn sure the rp won't be about that gear. I agree that the right bandit group could do it but basically at this point what I'm getting ooc from people within these types of groups it that they don't even want to try any more.

Edit-

As to our group specifically we are based around pushing people to a centralized sphere of influence in the center of the map and controlling our territory. None of our rp is based around robbing for gear or survival. Also you didn't mention the I.R.A :((. I thought we were fun.

I wasn't in that situation myself, I was watching it on a stream (<3 u riggsee boi) and I understand it can sometimes be hard to manage the RP in those situations, and it is also quite obvious when someone is doing their best to help it. Some people will see that, some people will acknowledge the struggle to balance a big situation like that and they won't mind, others however will just be pure salt, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do to change that! :P

But as long as you are open to constructive criticism (and I do say constructive, if it's salt just fob it off) then you should have no issues with progressing and improving your groups RP.

I'll take this chance to say that I hope I've somewhat helped you, and wish you the best of luck with the future of the group.

MrBlairdom    11

Dude, c'mon :)) Did you ever look at the Groups and Group Ideas threads? The majority of them is made up by hostile RP-ers. Look at the reports as well. Mostly new guys who want to show and shove their dicks into other people's faces. Like I previously said and not just me, many others, on other similar posts about hostile RP, about bad hostage situations, sometimes you just get sick.

Sure, it's all fun and games when you and your guys hold people up and do your thing, I can get that, but some people are trying to do this by staying on the good side and are looking for like-minded people. And when they get shit on for too long it either forces them to change their story and become vengeful individuals, or forces them to take arms and still change their ways as they need to become more aggressive...and surprise! Some people just don't know how to be aggressive or don't want to RP such a character. Hostile RP forces people to become/do something that they might not actually want.

We all need to realize that behind those characters there are actual people and some people have limited playtime, some people play this game out of various reasons and hostile RP isn't something that you can enjoy on and on and on. Instead of identifying yourselves with your characters so much, because I'd assume that is what happens on most occasions with hostile RPers, you have to come to the conclusion that we are a community trying to build an enjoyable, long-standing, welcoming place.

I think some of the hostile RP-ers just don't go through their whole story entirely. Why would you rob, steal, take hostage some camp 4 days in a row? Hostile RP-ers always go 'I had a good time tonight with my guys taking hostages those guys, that shit was lit', but only 2 times out of...5-10, do I see the hostages saying 'whoopy!'. Why? Maybe they don't visit the forums, maybe they did not enjoy it. Moreover, I see a lot of hostile RP-ers befriending other hostile RP-ers. How is that a thing? How is it that people who take hostages, kill, rob, can be so friendly to other maniacs who're out there to 'rule the wastelands'? I'm not actually seeing any stories, any posts about this type of hostilities.

You shouldn't drop the hostile RP, but enhance it. You don't have to show it off every second of your characters' lives. But perhaps the 'elders', like you Undead (2013), have been through too many years of RP and came to the conclusion that this is the only enjoyable type of RP and the one that keeps being fun for more than 2 months.

It's just an opinion.

-snip-

How can you judge and speak of experience when you are just as old as me ( 1~2 months ) ? imo hostile rp is a big part of the community and is very enjoyable if you actually try and actually roleplay being robbed instead of just being salty over your gear before the roleplay even starts 

and nobody is forcing anything into your character my dude , its your character devlopment and you take it the direction you want , and being robbed doesnt just make you a crazy psychopathic cannibal.

Nihoolious    1119

Dude, c'mon :)) Did you ever look at the Groups and Group Ideas threads? The majority of them is made up by hostile RP-ers. Look at the reports as well. Mostly new guys who want to show and shove their dicks into other people's faces. Like I previously said and not just me, many others, on other similar posts about hostile RP, about bad hostage situations, sometimes you just get sick.

Sure, it's all fun and games when you and your guys hold people up and do your thing, I can get that, but some people are trying to do this by staying on the good side and are looking for like-minded people. And when they get shit on for too long it either forces them to change their story and become vengeful individuals, or forces them to take arms and still change their ways as they need to become more aggressive...and surprise! Some people just don't know how to be aggressive or don't want to RP such a character. Hostile RP forces people to become/do something that they might not actually want.

We all need to realize that behind those characters there are actual people and some people have limited playtime, some people play this game out of various reasons and hostile RP isn't something that you can enjoy on and on and on. Instead of identifying yourselves with your characters so much, because I'd assume that is what happens on most occasions with hostile RPers, you have to come to the conclusion that we are a community trying to build an enjoyable, long-standing, welcoming place.

I think some of the hostile RP-ers just don't go through their whole story entirely. Why would you rob, steal, take hostage some camp 4 days in a row? Hostile RP-ers always go 'I had a good time tonight with my guys taking hostages those guys, that shit was lit', but only 2 times out of...5-10, do I see the hostages saying 'whoopy!'. Why? Maybe they don't visit the forums, maybe they did not enjoy it. Moreover, I see a lot of hostile RP-ers befriending other hostile RP-ers. How is that a thing? How is it that people who take hostages, kill, rob, can be so friendly to other maniacs who're out there to 'rule the wastelands'? I'm not actually seeing any stories, any posts about this type of hostilities.

You shouldn't drop the hostile RP, but enhance it. You don't have to show it off every second of your characters' lives. But perhaps the 'elders', like you Undead (2013), have been through too many years of RP and came to the conclusion that this is the only enjoyable type of RP and the one that keeps being fun for more than 2 months.

It's just an opinion.

So you want people to reduce their hostile rp presence as a whole because people don't like you don't like being robbed? You talk about hostile rpers like they don't want to better the community, that they are here for shits and giggles and only exist to hurt the feelings of people on an online acting community. How can you talk about passive rpers looking for like minded individuals like you know something when you can't comprehend fellow hostile rpers, like minded individuals infact, getting along with each other? You don't "see any stories" because you are too closed minded to think that hostile rpers have characters that they want to progress and create stories with just like anyone else. 

Honestly your whole rant does not make sense at all and contradicts itself. In fact the only thing you did here was provide an example of what OP was referring to.

MrBlairdom    11

I never actually said 'crazy psychopathic cannibal'. I have a right to an opinion as you have no idea how many hours I spent playing and what type of situations I got myself into during this 1-2 months :) I was just stating an opinion based on everything I've read, went through and simply feel about this topic. Surely, everyone is entitled to an opinion, my dude.

You can't actually say that 'it's my character's development' while my character is forced through some situations that would actually impact his storyline enormously. Imagine yourself being raped by a bunch of guys (just an example). Just let that sink in.

I never actually said 'crazy psychopathic cannibal'. I have a right to an opinion as you have no idea how many hours I spent playing and what type of situations I got myself into during this 1-2 months :) I was just stating an opinion based on everything I've read, went through and simply feel about this topic. Surely, everyone is entitled to an opinion, my dude.

You can't actually say that 'it's my character's development' while my character is forced through some situations that would actually impact his storyline enormously. Imagine yourself being raped by a bunch of guys (just an example). Just let that sink in.

You do realise that Rape RP is against the rules right ? its not even a thing

and being robbed shit talked and told to go away is a bit different from rape my dude.

MrBlairdom    11

"you are too closed minded" / "your whole rant does not make sense at all"

Okay, I think it's time I stay out of this type of discussions as clearly I am now being called names and the likes.

Sorry for my opinion, I'll see you all in-game.

Nihoolious    1119

I could make a dirty joke but this isn't the time for that.

You are the type of person who wants everything scripted and planned out so it goes your way. Where is the fun in that? RP is supposed to be about spontaneous interactions where you don't know what is going to happen next. Also that example you listed, while against the rules, could seriously advance someone's character story.

Okay, I think it's time I stay out of this type of discussions as clearly I am now being called names and the likes.

I mean if you can't take the heat, don't start shit. Whether that was your intention or not, your post started a debate that I really wanted to continue. Its your choice in the end whether to continue or not.

Nobody is calling you names dude, its just a debate and if you can't stand for what you originally say then i dont even know anymore...

So I am going to be blamed by a hostile group, because I don't want to have anything with them ? Because I don't want to play their game ?

I am not salty. They are hostile toward us, they state it, no problem about it. First they wanted tribute, we said no. Then they wanted to rule our group, we said no, and now they want us to move south, and we say no.

My character want to live peacefully, if they come to me, I will just avoid them, hide, and move. My choice, my game.

Where is the salt ? and since I play that kind of character, it's normal that I will state I want nothing to do with that hostile group.

Now tell me, why there is so much hate going against 101 lately ? Did we complain in a general chat for all that hate you provide for nearly one month now ?

We just tell you, we don't care anymore. If you look for us, we will be gone doing our thing. If you find us, take hostage, we are fine with it, just go on.

No one said we must stay somewhere, and just give you what you want, you not dictating the way I gonna play this game.

What the point of your post ? You are a well known hostile group looking for PVP. Must we wait everyday that you come see us and give you a firefight ? 

Should we welcome Hostile RP ? And if we don't, we are to blame ? And I also notice that if we don't provide what that group want, we will get reported, I really wonder who's salty here. 

What the admin member, that are not involved in the situation think ?

Nihoolious    1119

Now tell me, why there is so much hate going against 101 lately ? Did we complain in a general chat for all that hate you provide for nearly one month now ?

Honestly I feel like I opened pandora's box when I made that radio chatter thread. All I wanted to do was get a quick response and have some diplomacy from there but it spiraled into something nasty. I think it is just that people are getting bored of RP in the triangle so they are looking at the North and you guys are the most open group up here.

Undead    243

-snip-

While I see some of this post is your opinion you are stating some things in this as facts which they are not. I would like to state first that I disagree that most groups are purely hostile rpers at the moment as there are a huge amount of non hostile or neutral groups right now. Next I would certainly like to state that I have no interest in showing or shoving my dick into anyone's face. 

As to changing your story first of all your never forced to change your story. Forced is a completely poor choice of wording as in the end it's your choice to do anything. Now of course I whole heartedly agree in changing your story based on in game events ( hostile or otherwise). I sorry but not every story can be scripted and predicted from beginning to end. Not every character is going to be the hero of his own story. If I got captured with some amazing rp I would be prepared to make major changes to my character to progress my story. Changing your characters story or outlook on life shouldn't be a bad thing as RP is meant to be dynamic and ever changing. My character as he is today is largely influenced by events that took place in game. Shit look at my groups backstory all of the things that are in it are based around in game events.

If you don't want to become a more hostile character when hostilities are thrown at you, why not give into demands as many civilians would? Not everyone is a hero who can stand against an army. If you want to play a civilian then play a civilian. Or continue to take up arms against the hostilities but don't get angry ooc about it. 

Why would I rob steal and take hostages from a camp 4 days in a row? Why wouldn't I ? As the leader of a bandit centric group with the main goal of centralizing an area of activity closer to the middle of the country. I see no reason why I wouldn't continually attack until something changes. I was going to burn your camp to the ground and force you all to move before I decided to give you days to vote on issues and rp it out internally. I remember another post from one of the camp 101 guys that said why come and attack helpless civilians and steal their stuff when there's military people out there that would be more of a challenge to fight. Once again why would I want to do this. It makes no sense IC . It's easy to pick on the weak and defenseless so if your going to rp as the weak and defenseless be fucking prepared to deal with the non weak and the aggressors to be looking for you. It's how these kinds of things work. No need to get angry about it ooc.

As to me I only rpd in 2013 took a break after they switched to standalone and came back in the last 6 or so months. I enjoy hostile rp because it's what I'm good at and it fits my playstyle. I can create interesting rp on both ends which is why I do it. My problem is when the other end is close minded to my type of rp when I am opened to theirs. Like I said in the post I understand other types of rp such as campfire/internal rp. I really did enjoy playing with the trust the few times I have. It's just not my cup of tea long term. 

Hopefully you understand what I'm getting at here and my 5am brain is working.