Server time: 2017-08-22, 17:01

Sign in to follow this  
Hex

Removal of 'Private Frequencies'

Hex    31

Hello all, I'd like to suggest the removal of anyone using the 'Private frequency' tag in the radio section of the forums.

My logic is simply this: Radios in general are not all created equal. There are a great many different types of Radio's in the world today, from civilian models to military, however not all of these radio's do what people think all radios do, which is called encryption. Encryption is commonly found on military radio's in the world today with perhaps a few civilian models carrying it as well but not terribly so. Now many people if asked would simply say they found a military radio and are using it to send out private messages over encrypted frequencies, but where did you get that training? The average person would have no idea at all how to do such things aside from change channels and press the PTT, but it really seems like everyone has gone through the rather lengthy process of understanding how to send and recieve encrypted transmissions. Please.

I mainly want this change to equal the playing field, no longer can people say whatever they want over a supposed 'private' radio channel, people could always be listening, always. It doesnt take much to channel surf and wait until you find people talking.

Majoo    645

One one side of things I do agree with you in this suggestion. But then when I think about it from different point of view I would say don't remove them. I understand your points about using encryption and so on with radios, where people learned how to do such stuff and so on...

But then again, people usually use these "[Private Frequency]" radio chatter threads for the sake of contacting eachother on the forums to set a meeting IG and so on. And well if every frequency would have to basically be "Open" there would just be little to no chance to set a private meeting with somebody. And that is what I think would be problem if they would get removed.

So even if I agree with points you are bringing up I'll still have to say don't remove them.

It's more of an OOC thing why I personally would keep them.

I thought about this when I first joined the community... Most generally everyone would have used a digital radio, digital radio goes from the radio to tower to whoever listening back to tower back to radio. This also gives digital radios more chance to reach further out but has no way to "encrypt" a radio unless you somehow magically find a computer with the software to download a locked frequency

Channel surfing is as easy as turning a knob, and my personal radio I use for the fire department allows me to "surf" 20 channels at once, giving me even more of a chance to scim around channels.

I agree with this 100%

Grimnir    589

No, it would make it more realistic, but tbh thats not what I am here for. It would be just as realistic as KOS and powergame, but it would make the RP worse. Public frequencies can be fun, but honestly most of them are just stupid. I think if your suggestion would be enforced it would drive people away from the radio even more, not really what we should strife for.

Also with your logic all IC ts channels should be open to the public, what do you think about that part?

Stradic    266

While I understand this would add some realism I don't really see what's to then stop someone from sending a private RC over a PM or third party application.

Realistic? Sure, I agree with that. However people make private frequencies for many things - to arrange IC meetings, to RP on characters they are not currently active on, to keep in contact with their friends/group etc. If we got rid of them, these kinds of posts would just be riddled with sarcasm, hostile and pointless replies.

Interesting idea, channel flipping isn't very difficult at all. This addition would also eliminate any metagaming through the radio chatter threads...

Perhaps a poll would be a good idea.

Eagle    346

+1  even tho I feel  like they should work like the character pages either they could be set to pub or private as these freq's are more for show than anything.

Saradomin    360

I see your point, but for myself I do not like the idea. Many good points has already been brought up. Make all (IC) TS channels public. But also, shouldnt all IC messages, lets say over steam, ts chat and whatever also be public then? No.

I like the private freqs to contact someone i dont know the forum name of or someone i have not met to much, but need to contact, Just as staded above, it would be realisitc, but so is KoS and powergaming too....

Nope. Keep it as it is.

Voodoo    369

I can understand this although i can also understand removing the radio section altogether. TS is used for radio so why do we need a forum section when you can simply tell the person ICly over TS? Always used to during the MOD days

GaryCash    24

Sometimes you meet a character in game and want to reach out to them and the best way to do so is via forum radio, I think private frequencies should be kept open for situations such as this one and the likes

Cid    333

I can also understand why one would want this removed, I believe there was a time that I felt the same way as you did on the situation. Now I'd say it's a big ol' -1 for me. The reasons have pretty much already been stated already by others above.

Agree with Hex. The absolute only reason we have an Open or Private tag is an OOC one. Peraonally it should be removed. You should be forced to take the chance that someone else is listening. These radios we have would not have encrypted frequencies, and even of they did, very few people would even know how to operate them. OOC reasons should not hinder Roleplay.

If we removed private frequencies then people would simply tell information IC'ly over TS, or IC'ly Steam message people.

At least with private frequencies we can enjoy the juicy details of private conversations OOCly.

-1 unfortunately

If we removed private frequencies then people would simply tell information IC'ly over TS, or IC'ly Steam message people.

At least with private frequencies we can enjoy the juicy details of private conversations OOCly.

-1 unfortunately

Exactly. Every radio I ever had came equiped with a monitor setting. It lets you monitor every frequency for activity. You dont think groups and bad people wouldnt monitor the radio for victims, and easy pickings?

-1 unfortunately

Exactly. Every radio I ever had came equiped with a monitor setting. It lets you monitor every frequency for activity. You dont think groups and bad people wouldnt monitor the radio for victims, and easy pickings?

I agree with you Thumper but unfortunately we couldn't monitor steam messages (as much as i'm sure some of us would like to) and we cannot monitor what is said on TS, we cannot really force people to use the open radio chatter to communicate IC'ly.

As much as I like the idea it simply isn't feasible imo from an OOC standpoint and that is why I am giving it a -1

Davos    5

I should point out that a great deal of the characters that have existed in this world are military, ex-military, or spent time with military groups. The training required would no doubt take a bit of effort, but there is an ass ton of time where the characters are not being played. Wouldn't you assume that since everyone is trying to survive the apocalypse that people would be honing old skills and learning new ones? As of this moment we are 749 days into the apocalypse. That is a lot of time away from computers, cellphones, and the day to day grind that would leave plenty of time to pick up skills.

This being said, it is background information on the character, and whether they chose to say that their characters have learned how to do this is up to them. I personally see no reason to remove it, because there is no way to claim that these people wouldn't have learned how to use an encrypted radio, especially since it has been stated that we all "start off" with a "radio" which is how teamspeak is cannoned into the game.

On a humorous note, I agree that there could not possibly be anymore military grade handheld radios anymore. Given that hundreds of them are smashed and broken daily by bandits and aggressives captors, what stockpile of them that once existed must be gone by now. At a rate of say fifty radios a day broken, and it being 749 days in, that is 37450 military radios that have been smashed. This is at least double the amount of radio carrying characters that are alive today. Stop the radio abuse guys, or soon there won't be any left.

-1 unfortunately

I agree with you Thumper but unfortunately we couldn't monitor steam messages (as much as i'm sure some of us would like to) and we cannot monitor what is said on TS, we cannot really force people to use the open radio chatter to communicate IC'ly.

As much as I like the idea it simply isn't feasible imo from an OOC standpoint and that is why I am giving it a -1

How is it not feasible? You simply remove the private frequency and everything written in radio chatter now becomes IC and usable in game. Done. No need to monitor anything.

How is it not feasible? You simply remove the private frequency and everything written in radio chatter now becomes IC and usable in game. Done. No need to monitor anything.

The reasoning behind this is to make it a bit more realistic by having everything written in radio chatter becomes IC, right?

The entire reason people use private frequencies is to show off their impressive writing skills or their juicy internal drama while at the same time not allowing everyone to use it ICly. If we remove private frequencies then people would simply move to steam or other platforms to transfer IC information and as such the forums would be less fun to look at.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to implement it but what problems would it really solve? Like I said, the people who want to keep their radio conversations private would simply move to other platforms. It's not like the people using private frequencies would suddenly be forced to go to the open frequencies on the forums, no, they'd just use TS or Steam. The same issue exists.

Stagsview    589

How about....people RP out private messages as people did beforehand for private frequencies instead of upping people's posts counts shall we? I really do hate with a passion seeing private frequencies come up and enjoy reading people's drama that I can't comment on :(

Agree with Hex. The absolute only reason we have an Open or Private tag is an OOC one. Peraonally it should be removed. You should be forced to take the chance that someone else is listening. These radios we have would not have encrypted frequencies, and even of they did, very few people would even know how to operate them. OOC reasons should not hinder Roleplay.

If there is a chance of one person listening in, that means everyone will be listening in and everyone does so why not allow these to remain? And just because the game only physically has these civilian radios does not mean that more sophisticated ones are not around and would not be too difficult to get a hold of one given there is no more infrastructure. And why on earth would you call in on people not knowing how when we're currently two years in to the end of the world, people still exist who can teach and those who will learn.

I think things are fine the way you are.

If there is a chance of one person listening in, that means everyone will be listening in and everyone does so why not allow these to remain? And just because the game only physically has these civilian radios does not mean that more sophisticated ones are not around and would not be too difficult to get a hold of one given there is no more infrastructure. And why on earth would you call in on people not knowing how when we're currently two years in to the end of the world, people still exist who can teach and those who will learn.

I think things are fine the way you are.

Thanks Cow. You are pretty special yourself. 

But yeah, I suppose there could be military radios and people to teach how to encrypt them. But, at the same time they would be extremely rare. You cant even find these radios here at surplus stores. The military doesn't release this type of information and technology to the public.

Rolle    2460

The reason is entirely because of OOC - uninvolved people started derailing radio conversations intended just for few individuals or groups, making it very difficult to have a radio RP in public forums. I think it's fine as it is.

The thing is , yes there is a chance to listen in to the frequency but how is that chance compared for it being open in the forums where almost everybody can see it.

Eagle    346

The reason is entirely because of OOC - uninvolved people started derailing radio conversations intended just for few individuals or groups, making it very difficult to have a radio RP in public forums. I think it's fine as it is.

Is there any way to make it just available to be seen by these individuals and groups?

It would remove the unnecessary OOC drama that comes with it.