Server time: 2017-08-21, 12:17

Sign in to follow this  

Shifting the Team in New Directions

So a little background before we get into the meaty center of this thread. Ill give a few reasons for why its being made in the first place. 

There are so many different types of people here. From all over the world. There are so many different styles of role play, and things people do in game can literally range from anything to everything. Its role play. Its endless. (Within the rules I suppose). 

But. There is one thing that binds everyone together. The lore. Everyone must follow the lore and you even have to understand it on a minimal level before you can white list. Its a requirement to even be here. Other than the people who play here, it can be argued as one of the most important parts of this community. 

If there was no lore, people could do whatever they wanted, and then it would take the realism out of it and ruin it. 

So here we go.

xvEqPJe.gif

The Lore Master System

When you look at the staff team numbers, (in relations to each title under the team) It goes:

1. Game masters

2. Moderators

3. Community Helpers

4. Admins

5. PR and Lore Masters

Now I understand why there is more GMs then Admins, but if lore is such a huge part of this community, why is there only two? This thread is suggesting a new plan. A plan that will make the lore master team better, more efficient, and take charge of the community lore as it should. 

So what are the jobs of the lore masters? 

In quote from the staff recruitment page

"Lore Masters- Responsible for events, group approvals, lore updates and general character development guidance"

If you really get down to thinking about it, thats a lot. 

We can break this down further

1. Events - Events bring the community together. Sometimes they even give people a reason to log onto the server. They enhance the role play experience. But, they are a lot of work to put together and organize. Lots of events run by community members never even happen because of how much planning and coordinating goes into it behind the scenes. 

2. Group Approvals - When it comes to group approvals, I dont think it takes more than two people to sit down and read a group idea to see if it fits. They can both see if the thread meets the standards, and they have Game Masters or Admins review in game activity from the members. But, Once your group has gone through the approval process, (Which can take longer than its supposed to), it should not stop there. Groups should be reviewed and scrutinized more once they become official. They are an official group of DayZRP! They are being watched the most on the forums, as well as in game. 

3. Lore Updates - This is going to tie in with official groups being looked at more. The greatest part about this lore is that its never ending. People are always role playing. There are always groups becoming official and making their mark on the servers one way or another. Things such as timelines and continuation series of other countries have been suggested before. In the end it all comes down to the activity of the Lore Master team. They are the only ones who can approve that sort of stuff. Two people is not enough for this.  Two people can not handle the task of overlooking the group ideas as well as the approved groups all the while continuously working on their other tasks. 

4. General Dev. of Characters - Honestly, this can be done in help desk, or with a simple PM. But if there were more members of the team people could receive feedback on their characters and ideas more quickly and efficiently. 

So after reading all of that, and considering that all of those tasks are being performed, it does not make sense to not let the Lore Masters have their own team. Here is my proposed team system. This is huge change. I will explain my reasoning behind each section after the image. 

AYIJG0d.png

Lets start at the top going down. 

The "Lore Master"

This position will be the Rolle of the team. They will be responsible for all of the oversight of the team. They will not be bound to a specific task or job within the team

The "Event Master"

This position will be in charge of creating and organizing events for the servers. Below the Event Master will be the Event Helpers. They will deal with either OOC or IC information regarding the events, because if you have tried or successfully ran an event, you know there is just as much OOC information needed as IC. 

The "Group Master"

This position will be in charge of everything group related. Whether it be the approval process, writing official groups into the continuation of the lore, all the way to reviewing approved groups. This position will be accompanied by, just as the Event Master, 3 helpers. 

To end this thread, I will list a few reasons why this is a reasonable system

1. Staff are not paid, so there would be no downside to bringing on more members to ease the workload. When the PSI wave was upon us, staff loaded up on new members. Well, there is a lot of work to be done.

2. The reason for 3 helpers each - This gives leeway to the other factors of the team. A group approval Helper is not only barred to doing group work. If his or her help is needed in the making of an event, they would help. 

3. Ill say it again, the Lore is the most important part of this community. We need to be giving it more attention. Many people have said it, there is a reason side projects do not work. There is not effort put into them. For example, people may be more interested in MiscreatedRP if the game had its own lore and setting. Give people something to go off, and they won't 

Feel free to add onto this idea with any ideas you may have

Dishes    159

I think this is a really great idea! I could see it being tweaked a little here and there, but this is a great concept!

+1

Really like the concept of this idea , +1

+1.

I've seen a couple other roleplaying communities out there, and DayzRP, for his size, has by far the smallest loremaster team.

This is a fantastic suggestion. Wumby for LoreMaster?

Thanks man, and thats a really spicy meme that is

yes

good post wumbo, this looks solid

Alex    451

There may or may not be things underway already in staff regarding this. SoonTM I guess ;)

There may or may not be things underway already in staff regarding this. SoonTM I guess ;)

I really hope it's soon. Something like this is 100% needed. Whether it be this idea or one similar

Alex    451

I really hope it's soon. Something like this is 100% needed. Whether it be this idea or one similar

Most definitely. The LM team is at it's strongest when they're planning extended lore, events, other stuff besides approving groups. All I can say is they're working on it so far.

isocade    90

Y'know I keep saying that I'd never try and push myself to make a staff application for this place but after reading this, if it were to be implemented in one way or another, I'd probably end up trying it, especially if it involved working or assisting with lore or groups since that's essentially the backbone of all story progression and development.

The worst thing to ever have in a roleplay community is wasted potential or lost talent. With a small and tiny Loremaster team, there is a lot of wasted potential seeing as how it's only a very small group of people over-extending themselves across many different things. People can argue all they want on how having more than a couple, a few, or four people on the team is "unnecessary and a waste" but all it's doing in the end is hurting the server in the long run. If you're going to volunteer your time and resources in which people have no obligation to keep you around, you better make sure they have a reason to keep you around.

Like you said, there's no reason to NOT expand the team. It's a volunteer basis. What's the harm in having a handful more opinions and ideas floating around? None at all.

The system idea you have is also pretty effective, at least from my standpoint. In my experience doing administrative and staff team organization, I always made sure everyone had different roles that they were effective at, could be trusted with, and most importantly, something they enjoyed doing, both in-game and on the forums. This can go for every staff position, to be quite honest. If someone enjoys creating large-scale, detailed events full of depth and content, I don't think it'd be smart to put them in-charge of handling the reports and ban appeals section. Do you understand what I'm getting at? There are people in the community, myself included, who enjoy doing one thing or another that could contribute to the staff team immensely, but they choose not to apply or have yet to be accepted to their chosen field for one reason or another. Expanding the fields and sanctioning off the various roles to a specific amount of holders can most definitely improve the server in the long run. Sure, it'll be a pain in short term, but given how this community has been around for so long, the short term temporary negatives don't really matter. You always do what is best for business.

I really like this. You outdid yourself here mate.

Shroud    112

yes something like this is definitely needed, at the moment there is a complete lack of events on the server and groups get accepted way to slowly

+1 to Wumby for bringing this up :)

Vassal    0

I definitely agree that Loremasters are an important asset in this community and it seems to be a position overlooked a majority of the time.

+1

Oliv    1565

You put a lot of thought and effort into this. To me, as it sits, it feels a bit corporate, but there is a good basis here. Nice work.

I personally am against just titles for the sake of a title. It's not like we have 'Off Topic Moderators' and 'Teamspeak Moderators.' A moderator is a moderator, a loremaster is a loremaster. These assume responsibilities of a wide scope, I don't think there's a need to breakdown that department into multiple subcategories because in truth those will taper off sometimes. There will be a time where group approval team really won't have work, there are times there been only two or three ideas in the group ideas thread. 

I think the only real change needed is that there is a larger LM team with more motivated people in it that put forth the work, and not the bare minimum. No offense, group approvals is a boring process, but that shouldn't be the only thing being accomplished and presented. LMs have the power to literally change and create a whole break in the overall story of DayZRP. It's the most creative outlet and opportunity that some can have. Not taking advantage of it is a shame to the community who enjoy external content.

Keira    1039

I like this idea, Wumby. +1 from me.

+1 my brother. I think you covered it nicely.

If there is anything we can all agree on and it ain't those extra titles, stuff's pointless. We are in need of more LM's though.

If there is anything we can all agree on and it ain't those extra titles, stuff's pointless. We are in need of more LM's though.

The titles are more there to give the diagram some substance. :^)

You put a lot of thought and effort into this. To me, as it sits, it feels a bit corporate, but there is a good basis here. Nice work.

Thank ya Oliv!

I personally am against just titles for the sake of a title. It's not like we have 'Off Topic Moderators' and 'Teamspeak Moderators.' A moderator is a moderator, a loremaster is a loremaster. These assume responsibilities of a wide scope, I don't think there's a need to breakdown that department into multiple subcategories because in truth those will taper off sometimes. There will be a time where group approval team really won't have work, there are times there been only two or three ideas in the group ideas thread. 

I think the only real change needed is that there is a larger LM team with more motivated people in it that put forth the work, and not the bare minimum. No offense, group approvals is a boring process, but that shouldn't be the only thing being accomplished and presented. LMs have the power to literally change and create a whole break in the overall story of DayZRP. It's the most creative outlet and opportunity that some can have. Not taking advantage of it is a shame to the community who enjoy external content.

Grats on 1000 Postmaster 

And I agree with what you're saying. There is so much that could be done surrounding the lore. And it needs to be taken advantage of.

Voodoo    366

Too many titles but i agree with more loremasters to an extent. But new lore masters must have atleast a year or 2 experience to do the job.

Do we need events? The whole part of the server is to be dynamic, surely people can come up with stuff. Id hate to see the community rely on forum announced events rather than something that just happens naturally ingame (not closed off server). In my opinion looking back, council events were fun but it got to the stage where people would only log in for the event and not join during the week. Alot of dynamic events not happening currently is due to a lack of groups that inspire fear on the servers, id hate to see the servers become scripted by the forums.

Keira    1039

Too many titles but i agree with more loremasters to an extent. But new lore masters must have atleast a year or 2 experience to do the job.

Do we need events? The whole part of the server is to be dynamic, surely people can come up with stuff. Id hate to see the community rely on forum announced events rather than something that just happens naturally ingame (not closed off server). In my opinion looking back, council events were fun but it got to the stage where people would only log in for the event and not join during the week. Alot of dynamic  events not happening currently is due to a lack of groups that inspire fear on the servers, id hate to see the servers become scripted by the forums.

How would we gauge this experience? 1-2 years as a community member? 1-2 years in previous communities working in similar loremaster positions? 1-2 years in a related job field? All of the above? Just asking for a little more detail on how you would pick or judge this.

I do think events sometimes are necessary to liven up stale situations in game, like currently happening. I do agree that the servers or RP should NOT rely on these events though, and as long as they're used to stir up the RP, I don't see that happening. I would like to see more events myself that do not require closing off a server.