Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Between Monsters

Ron    749

ff4fd584af.png

Jaroslav Belov

iqVcLpACT.png

Song

Since I came back to Chernarus, I always found some people to travel with. It is not easy, people are looking at each other like they are going to slice each others necks just for a pair of gloves someone is wearing. Some how I always managed to sell myself as useful to the right people. I am not the fastest but I can carry stuff. I can hunt and prepare meat. I am able to deal with little injuries... but before all that I think I am good in telling people what they want to hear. That's what it seems to be about these days. Even if most people don't like to admit it: they need one another out there.

As life runs, I started to travel towards Chernarus with a group of six or seven people. Men and women. I arrived by myself. It was weird to see Berenzino like that. I mean, it was never a beauty of a city if we are honest but now it was more like ... a mass grave of rotting people walking through the streets.

The old family store was still there. My father gave it to his best friend when we left the country. It was still there, well at least what was left of it. I still know how I walked in there. Stroking down the door frame with one hand, looking at the mess of broken down shelves. It just showed once more that this family was... gone.

People took most everything but they missed a little storage in the basement. Lucky me, I guess. I even found a bottle of vodka and a few boxes of cigarettes. Fuck my life, those will probably kill me before one of the dead fuckers gets me.

After I stored everything in my bag, I went on. To be honest, I had no clue where I was going. Out of the big city, off the high ways. Away from anyone or anything that could show interest in me or in what I was carrying. I don't know if it was the vodka or the ongoing dehydration but something kept me going.

I arrived in Stary Sobor or rather, what was left of it. I ran into a foreign guy trying to talk to a woman at a water pump. She seemed to be terrified. I just wanted water but some how I was not able to ignore that and got myself involved. That young Robin Hood wannabe with his crossbow just seemed to be offering help but she did not speak English, so she probably thought he wanted her belongings. I did my part being translator for those two and the situation was dealt with pretty quick. So I met people. Ones who did not want to kill me or take my food. Alex a young English guy. He seemed like a... mix of a scout kid and a hunter, talking about his family being wolves.  And there was Anya, she seemed pretty brave, willing to do anything to stay alive. I mean... she was fighting Alex and me off with an empty rifle when we tried to talk to her. Those two seemed okay, we even ended up traveling together for a few days. We made it to Zelenogorsk, a town taken over by the fascists. It went... not that well but who would be surprised by that, it was fascists. In the end I got out of there alive and those other two did as well. They seemed to be good people. As things go, our ways were split and somehow we lost each other. I did not expect to see them again, ever.

Contact with bigger groups of people most of the times end up in death or at least harm. I decided to keep on traveling by myself for a while. On my way I passed a few towns. All empty, what a surprise. A little noise here and there but I stopped looking after those. In most cases they only mean trouble anyways. I saw a few signs saying something about a military compound in the north west. Probably another one of those save havens. Where I come from, we built one as well. A peaceful area. People worked together, helped each other ... protected each other. ... Wake up, they did not. It went fine for a couple of weeks. What happened back then behind those closed gates of that compound still makes me shake & sweat today... and I have seen a lot of things.

I came to a town called Kabanino. God knows what kind of creatures were looking at me there. Neither dead or alive. It reminded me more of rats. You know, when they get hungry, they pick out the weakest eat it. They seemed interested in who or what walks through their nest. To keep them away, you just needed to light up a torch and wiggle it around a bit. They would just disappear in the dark again, like fucking rats.

I don't know after how many days I reached this predicted safe location but some how I did. Surprise, it was empty. Nothing but broken gates and the smell of death. Normally I just jog on. Those compounds they are like magnets, pulling the danger towards them. I really don't know why I went in there this time. I felt such anger. All this walking over miles and days for nothing. It was so frustrating. I found myself smoking one cigarette after another, yelling swear words at an old barracks of the Chernarussian Defence Force. I think at that point I was close to... losing it and I noticed it. I remember thinking - you need to get your ass out of here, you're going nuts. I took the last sip of the vodka bottle, threw it against one of the buildings and started walking.

I stepped over the pieces of a broken down wall and was standing in front of a group of people. Soldiers... Was that the CDF? I needed to wipe my eye to make sure I did not start seeing things out of the sudden. Loud natives with berets, uniforms and guns, a lot of guns. It must have been the CDF, CDF leftovers. I found myself in the middle of them being pushed with the barrels of their firearms and being questioned about who I was and what I was doing in their compound. My throat went so dry, I thought they will just put a bullet in me and kick my dead body to the side.

Tell them what they want to hear, Jaroslav. Sell yourself as useful.

Edited by Ron

Interesting to see how far his talents gets him. Nicely written

Ramon    331

#First #DankStory

9/10

Could've been 10 if Anya had more mentions.

You're a quick reader. ;)

Looks good Ron! :D

I hope Chapter 2 will come soon.

Majoo    642

10/10, really nice beginning of a nice story. Looking forward to read more :)

Dishes    159

Ooooohhh that was so nice, amazing music to go along with it! 10/10!

I read with the music on. Am I doing this right?

Conor    243

#First #DankStory

9/10

Could've been 10 if Anya had more mentions.

You're a quick reader. ;)

So quick that I read it before it was even posted.

Ron    749

iQGYOZZAY.png

Song

One of them looked at me and asked me what I was doing around here again. He was speaking with a cigarette between his lips, holding one of those old kalashnikovs in his hand, similar to the one I found at one of the broken down military trucks. While I told him that I was just looking around for people I glanced at the baseball bat full of dried blood and little marks on his back. A huge guy with a balaclava stepped forward and yelled out that I was probably stealing of the belongings of the CDF, a foreign thief like the others they have killed before. My eyes widened as he was looking at his people, pointing his finger at me. Some people still do care about where you are from and if these ones really were Chernarussian soldiers, they wouldn't be pleased to find out that they just ran into a half Russian.

The guy with the baseball bat looked up and down on me asking my name and where I was from. At that moment I wished I would have saved the last sip of vodka. A last swing before those people will kill me. I took a deep breath and like someone else was speaking through me, I said:

"Jaroslav Němec, Berenzino born and raised."

I have been living in Chernarus. I was born in this country. But Němec is the name of my mothers family. The last couple of years me and my family spent in Russia, the motherland of my father. I don't believe in god. Look around here... if you believed in him you must think he is a sick motherfucker. But in this moment I just prayed that I did not adapt to any sort of Russian accent. I looked at them, waiting for their reaction felt like an endless time.

The guy flipped his cigarette to the ground, laughed and said he was happy to see another Chernarussian man walking on these grounds. He nodded towards me and introduced himself as Domek. I haven't been that sober for days. My heart was pounding and I tried to hide my shaking hands in the pockets of my jacket. The big guy with the balaclava told me that this compound is protected by what he called 'The Milice'. He could have said anything I was just nodding in agreement, telling them it is good to see people are still taking care of this land.

Out of the nowhere, there was a female voice to be heard. Everyone was stepping a side and a woman walked up to me. I think she was in her mid twenties. Even though she was wearing a black beanie, I was able to tell she had dark brown hair by the little strands sticking out. Her face was covered in a green bandana which was tied together in the back. She was holding a rifle in her hands while her big brown eyes were looking at me. Those eyes... I must have been staring at her for a few seconds.

"I said: What are you doing here?" She said, repeating herself.

She looked at me waiting for a reaction. I blinked my eyes a few times and stuttered something like I was just passing through. She glanced at me for a few more seconds before she looked towards the people standing around us and nodded towards the compound behind me, giving orders to spread out and set up a fire. The men did what she said without a single disagreement. It was pretty obvious that she was the one in charge. And I... I was just standing there trying to get rid of the attention and disappear quietly. As she walked past me, she let me know they will hold in the compound for a bit and I was allowed to stay around if I wanted to. I turned around and looked inside the compound. Those people were setting up a fire, taking over watch positions and shared food with each other.

Even though I knew that they would rip me apart if they found out who I was, at the same time I sensed this could be it. A safe haven. How should they be able to tell? Nobody around here knew me. And in the end... dying through a bullet sounded better than starving or getting eaten alive. And to be honest ... at that time I did not have much to lose. I followed her back into the compound. I walked slowly, looking to my left and right. The big guy with the balaclava came out of one of the barracks. As he spotted me, he started walking straight towards me. I froze. I felt like I was wearing a sign saying half-breed and that someone would look at me and point at it. What was I thinking - a safe haven? This guy would be standing in front of me in the next 3 seconds and smash my skull. I just starred at him. He laughed loudly and patted my shoulder, pushing a green colored jacket towards my chest.

"Here, your jacket looks done. Take this. We support our people."

I exhaled and nodded, thanking him for the gift. I would not have dared to deny it. If that guy wanted me to wear a dress, I would have done it. I looked around in the compound - where did the woman walk off to? I spotted her talking to one of the uniformed guys and slowly walked over towards her. I cleared my throat and told her that it would be very kind if I could stay around for a bit and take a little break while the area was still protected. She nodded and said it was fine. I was not able to tell if she was smiling or not underneath her face mask. She introduced herself as Desatnik Cernik as she took it off. She had a serious look on her face, explaining to me that these people around us were  ex-soldiers and others who were sticking together. The Milice Zachovani.  All of them were there to protect the area from those who steal of the CDF, of the country. I had the feeling that she was keeping an eye on everyone around her, the whole time we were talking. Not a single thing in this compound would happen without her knowing about it.

Our little talk was interrupted by one of the men yelling that the food is ready and people should gather together at the fire. Cernik showed a small smile towards me, asking if I liked chicken. I haven't had eaten anything the last two days and can't remember the last time someone else cooked food for me.

Without knowing what actually just happend,  I found myself, wearing a new waterproof jacket, in the middle of a bunch of soldiers - munching the best fucking chicken I ever ate in my god damn life. I don't know if it was the enjoyable feeling of a full stomach or just the fact that for that moment I felt like I was under actual protection. These people seemed to have good intentions. Protecting the country, that is a good thing right? They could be a safe haven - at least for a while...

Edited by Ron

Majoo    642

Nice one again Ron...liked it :)

Who made the banners... : D

PatZ    386

oh my thats some lit writing, great job Ron.

Loved how you described Domek

Ron    749

1XPeePLcp.png

Song

We sat there for a whole while. People were eating together, talking, laughing. It seemed normal for a second... well if you did not pay attention to the over watch positions keeping the rotten ones away. I was sitting in the middle of them listening to talks about thieves stealing from them and how they were fighting them and scaring them off. These guys must have been doing a great job. Their lifes sounded so busy and some might even say fulfilled. I was sitting there looking at the piece of chicken in my hand thinking about what a waste it was for them to give their food to someone like me.

I saw a younger guy in a uniform with a beret talking to Cernik. He must have been in his early twenties. Not as big as the others but that scar on his cheek made him look like he has been thorugh some rough times. He nodded towards her and let all the other know they were about to roll out and that everyone should grab their shit and get ready.

All of a sudden it got so busy. People were standing up and running around and it seemed like everyone knew what to grab and where to stand. I was standing up too. They would take off and I would probably never see them again. It was one of the encounters I will remember as a good one I guess. I grabbed one of my last vodka bottles out of the side pocket of my bag and took a swing while watching the happening.

"Isn't it a bit early to be drinking right now?"

I looked to my right seeing Cernik standing next to me, pointing at the bottle in my hand. I looked at her and back at it. Drinking hasn't been related to any daytime for me in the past year. It makes you as numb as the world around you. It made me... endure myself. I showed a small smile and put the bottle away. It must have looked awkward, I guess I tried to say: you are right but I stopped giving a shit about it.

I cleared my throat watching the people gathering together in front of the military compound. If I wanted to give this a shot... this was my chance to try. They would be able to protect me.

"Thank you for the food and letting me stay for a while. I don't have much to offer you could possbily need... I could tag along and maybe help out if you need a hand?"

I don't have much to offer? I did not have anything to offer for those people. To be honest if she would have asked me what I could have helped them with ... I wouldn't have had an answer at that moment. They seemed to be well organized and prepared in their Milice. Without looking at me and already starting to move Cernik let me know that I was allowed to tag along if I was able to hold their pace. I don't know why but that woman gave me a chance. Until today I don't know why. Maybe she saw something in me... maybe she was in desperate search of more people for the milice. I really don't know.

When I stepped out of the compound I saw all of those guys standing there. They had everything stored in their bags and their firearms in their hands. I took a deep breath and grabbed my gun too. I double checked where the safety catch was. I really only used it for the rare moments when I spotted an animal... or when one of the rotten ones came too close.

"Are we letting anyone who we run into tagging along now, just because he is Chernarussian?"

I looked up and saw the young guy with the scar in his face speaking up against me joining the travel. He looked up and down on me and shaked his head derogatively.

"Shut up Dima, he can tag along if he is able to. Let's go."

When Cernik spoke up, no one of them dared to say anything else. Dima rolled his eyes and started jogging like the rest of them.

Jogging. In my memories it was more like running. I really struggled keeping up with them. My lungs started to hurt but the reaction of that Dima guy kind of pushed me to prove that I can keep up with a young guy like him. Thrity is the new twenty- right? We moved towards the north I believe. Standing on a little hill we looked down on an old military airstrip. I haven't been there before. I must say it looked really impressive. The buildings were still in good condition and all the way in the end I was able to see something like a camp made out of tents.

When the group stopped to over watch the area, I was busy trying not to vomit on my shoes. I haven't been running such a long distance since I was... I have never been running such a long distance.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked to my left. The guy- what was he called again ... Domek looked at me and laughed.

"Now you regret the cigarettes, right? I know that feeling my friend, that bitch always has to run like hell."

I showed a weak smile and wiped off the sweat on my forehead with the back of my hand. When I was able to breathe normally again, I looked up and spotted all the rotten ones on the airstrip. Wait ... are we planning on going down there? In the second that thought rushed through my head, Cernik gave the order to clear the area and meet up at the tents in the back, while she was aiming her rilfe.

People were splitting in little groups and started to jog down the hill to the left and right. I saw Domek raising his hand, giving me the sign to follow him and the people he was going with. I followed him down the airstrip. We have been walking roughly I'd say 150 meters when I heard Cerniks voice coming out of the radio on Domeks belt, giving the order to shoot.

Shoot? The rotten ones?... but that means all of them will come for us -  a lound shot was to be heard. The loud sound made me wince. It came from the hill, Cernik was up there starting to shoot her rifle at the rotten ones in the distance.Domek started laughing loudly and yelled to move while he was taking out his baseball bat. Dima next to me started shooting his gun at the dead coming towards us.

This was how they cleaned the area. Gathering all of the dead ones together and get rid of them in a huge massacare. Well... at least they made sure all of them out of the area were put down then, I guess. The smell was disgusting, all the rotten meat, guts everywhere. It was somehting people got used to. When one of those things came towards me, I smashed his skull with the buttstock of my kalashnikov. I really dislike an sort of violence but I will not get eaten alive by one of those.

When the area was cleared we moved on to the camp at the end of the airstrip. I was able to see the same procedure. People were spreading out, taking positions, checking on the equipment in the tents. This must have been the second area they protected. While everyone was moving around, following their orders and doing whatever,  me and that guy Domek were standing a bit more outside of the camp. This guy really seemed to be alright. He told me that he wasn't a soldier but that it should be the goal of every Chernarussian to support this country and protect it from foreigners who come and bring harm. We had a smoke, talked about the area and different things, until the point when he was asking me what I have been doing before.

I wonder how he would have reacted if I told him that I lived and worked in Russia with the Russan side of my family. I probably would have ended up as a piñata for his baseball bat. I decided to extend the story about my life in Chernarus a bit. When me and my family lived in Berenzino, my parents were running a little store. Nothing too big, just enough to provide enough for us to survive. After school I helped them out. I took a lot of night shifts to deal with the scum that tried to steal from time to time. I don't like violence but my apparence of the big tattooed guy, helped me out a lot. This was in the time before we went to Russia. I decided to leave that little part out of my story and told Domek and some other people who were gathering around us, about the store and how my family supported the Chernarussian defence force with food supplies during riots and conflicts.

Tell them what they want to hear, Jaroslav.

Luckily for me, they bought it.

Edited by Ron

Conor    243

1XPeePLcp.png

[mp3]http://puu.sh/rWk1a/5e3d7145d5.mp3[/mp3]

[align=justify]

We sat there for a whole while. People were eating together, talking, laughing. It seemed normal for a second... well if you did not pay attention to the over watch positions keeping the rotten ones away. I was sitting in the middle of them listening to talks about thieves stealing from them and how they were fighting them and scaring them off. These guys must have been doing a great job. Their lifes sounded so busy and some might even say fulfilled. I was sitting there looking at the piece of chicken in my hand thinking about what a waste it was for them to give their food to someone like me.

I saw a younger guy in a uniform with a beret talking to Cernik. He must have been in his early twenties. Not as big as the others but that scar on his cheek made him look like he has been thorugh some rough times. He nodded towards her and let all the other know they were about to roll out and that everyone should grab their shit and get ready.

All of a sudden it got so busy. People were standing up and running around and it seemed like everyone knew what to grab and where to stand. I was standing up too. They would take off and I would probably never see them again. It was one of the encounters I will remember as a good one I guess. I grabbed one of my last vodka bottles out of the side pocket of my bag and took a swing while watching the happening.

"Isn't it a bit early to be drinking right now?"

I looked to my right seeing Cernik standing next to me, pointing at the bottle in my hand. I and her and back at it. Drinking hasn't been related to any daytime for me in the past year. It makes you as numb as the world around you. It made me... endure myself. I showed a small smile and put the bottle away. It must have looked awkward, I guess I tried to say: you are right but I stopped giving a shit about it.

I cleared my throat watching the people gathering together in front of the military compound. If I wanted to give this a shot... this was my chance to try. They would be able to protect me.

"Thank you for the food and letting me stay for a while. I don't have much to offer you could possbily need... I could tag along and maybe help out if you need a hand?"

I don't have much to offer? I did not have anything to offer for those people. To be honest if she would have asked me what I could have helped them with ... I wouldn't have had an answer at that moment. They seemed to be well organized and prepared in their Milice. Without looking at me and already starting to move Cernik let me know that I was allowed to tag along if I was able to hold their pace. I don't know why but that woman gave me a chance. Until today I don't know why. Maybe she saw something in me... maybe she was in desperate search of more people for the milice. I really don't know.

When I stepped out of the compound I saw all of those guys standing there. They had everything stored in their bags and their firearms in their hands. I took a deep breath and grabbed my gun too. I double checked where the safety catch was. I really only used it for the rare moments when I spotted an animal... or when one of the rotten ones came too close.

"Are we letting anyone who we run into tagging along now, just because he is Chernarussian?"

I looked up and saw the young guy with the scar in his face speaking up against me joining the travel. He looked up and down on me and shaked his head derogatively.

"Shut up Dima, he can tag along if he is able to. Let's go."

When Cernik spoke up, no one of them dared to say anything else. Dima rolled his eyes and started jogging like the rest of them.

Jogging. In my memories it was more like running. I really struggled keeping up with them. My lungs started to hurt but the reaction of that Dima guy kind of pushed me to prove that I can keep up with a young guy like him. Thrity is the new twenty- right? We moved towards the north I believe. Standing on a little hill we looked down on an old military airstrip. I haven't been there before. I must say it looked really impressive. The buildings were still in good condition and all the way in the end I was able to see something like a camp made out of tents.

When the group stopped to over watch the area, I was busy trying not to vomit on my shoes. I haven't been running such a long distance since I was... I have never been running such a long distance.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked to my left. The guy- what was he called again ... Domek looked at me and laughed.

"Now you regret the cigarettes, right? I know that feeling my friend, that bitch always has to run like hell."

I showed a weak smile and wiped off the sweat on my forehead with the back of my hand. When I was able to breathe normally again, I looked up and spotted all the rotten ones on the airstrip. Wait ... are we planning on going down there? In the second that thought rushed through my head, Cernik gave the order to clear the area and meet up at the tents in the back, while she was aiming her rilfe.

People were splitting in little groups and started to jog down the hill to the left and right. I saw Domek raising his hand, giving me the sign to follow him and the people he was going with. I followed him down the airstrip. We have been walking roughly I'd say 150 meters when I heard Cerniks voice coming out of the radio on Domeks belt, giving the order to shoot.

Shoot? The rotten ones?... but that means all of them will come for us -  a lound shot was to be heard. The loud sound made me wince. It came from the hill, Cernik was up there starting to shoot her rifle at the rotten ones in the distance.Domek started laughing loudly and yelled to move while he was taking out his baseball bat. Dima next to me started shooting his gun at the dead coming towards us.

This was how they cleaned the area. Gathering all of the dead ones together and get rid of them in a huge massacare. Well... at least they made sure all of them out of the area were put down then, I guess. The smell was disgusting, all the rotten meat, guts everywhere. It was somehting people got used to. When one of those things came towards me, I smashed his skull with the buttstock of my kalashnikov. I really dislike an sort of violence but I will not get eaten alive by one of those.

When the area was cleared we moved on to the camp at the end of the airstrip. I was able to see the same procedure. People were spreading out, taking positions, checking on the equipment in the tents. This must have been the second area they protected. While everyone was moving around, following their orders and doing whatever,  me and that guy Domek were standing a bit more outside of the camp. This guy really seemed to be alright. He told me that he wasn't a soldier but that it should be the goal of every Chernarussian to support this country and protect it from foreigners who come and bring harm. We had a smoke, talked about the area and different things, until the point when he was asking me what I have been doing before.

I wonder how he would have reacted if I told him that I lived and worked in Russia with the Russan side of my family. I probably would have ended up as a piñata for his baseball bat. I decided to extend the story about my life in Chernarus a bit. When me and my family lived in Berenzino, my parents were running a little store. Nothing too big, just enough to provide enough for us to survive. After school I helped them out. I took a lot of night shifts to deal with the scum that tried to steal from time to time. I don't like violence but my apparence of the big tattooed guy, helped me out a lot. This was in the time before we went to Russia. I decided to leave that little part out of my story and told Domek and some other people who were gathering around us, about the store and how my family supported the Chernarussian defence force with food supplies during riots and conflicts.

Tell them what they want to hear, Jaroslav.

Luckily for me, they bought it.

Pretty shit tbh

Once again I read it with the music on. I do believe that is the right way.

+1

Majoo    642

Another nice chapter :) Keep it up Ron.

Ramon    331

Nice story Ron ;)

Keep on writing I would say.

And don't look at Conor his post.

Spartan    1000

I know that feeling my friend, that bitch always has to run like hell."

yes, Sara was showing you how bad your little cancersticks are. You're welcome.

Ron    749

Dima Approves, apart from the fact that you left out me calling you whelp alot :P

that will be brought up in the next chapter <3