Server time: 2017-10-17, 06:02
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Burgz

ma graphics card

Question

Burgz    6

I posted in the battle station thread but no-one replied and it kinda wasn't relevant.

Anyway, basically my graphics card is so long that it's weighing down and not staying perfectly horizontal if you get me?

Like if you put a spirit level on top, it wouldn't be straight.

Does this matter? How do I fix?

25 answers to this question

Wumby    0

That sounds weird af. But I dont think the age of the card would matter? I dont think they gain weight over time.

Try removing it and putting it back in

/moved to questions

Karichii    10

Got a picture of it?

It could be the PCI slot not being able to handle the length and weight of the card, therefor causing it to bend, I know my Mobo has PCI-E Metal railings or something like that, which means no matter the size of the card I put in, it won't start to tip or bend.

Could try putting in some kind of frame or support to stop it from potentially bending the PCI-E port.

Burgz    6

That sounds weird af. But I dont think the age of the card would matter? I dont think they gain weight over time.

Could I have been accidentally over-feeding him???

Got a picture of it?

It could be the PCI slot not being able to handle the length and weight of the card, therefor causing it to bend, I know my Mobo has PCI-E Metal railings or something like that, which means no matter the size of the card I put in, it won't start to tip or bend.

Could try putting in some kind of frame or support to stop it from potentially bending the PCI-E port.

Lol atm I have some foam shit on top of my HDD slots which is keeping it slightly level

Karichii    10

Could I have been accidentally over-feeding him???

Got a picture of it?

Lol atm I have some foam shit on top of my HDD slots which is keeping it slightly level

Could be worth taking it out, and checking the PCI port you are using to check if it is bending, if so post again.

Burgz    6

Could be worth taking it out, and checking the PCI port you are using to check if it is bending, if so post again.

About 90% certain nothing was bending, but it's just too long for the length of the slot.

Karichii    10

About 90% certain nothing was bending, but it's just too long for the length of the slot

Yeah thats not good

Wait... You did mount it to your case though right? Maybe check if that's done correctly. Perhaps your case is doing a poor job in holding it? Send pics pls.

Burgz    6

Wait... You did mount it to your case though right? Maybe check if that's done correctly. Perhaps your case is doing a poor job in holding it? Send pics pls.

yeah? I think so lel, the half that's like in the mobo is straight it's the end that isn't which is dropping.

Can't send pic atm as I'm on it.

Wait... You did mount it to your case though right?  Maybe check if that's done correctly.  Perhaps your case is doing a poor job in holding it?  Send pics pls.

yeah? I think so lel, the half that's like in the mobo is straight it's the end that isn't which is dropping.

Can't send pic atm as I'm on it.

Wait so that would mean the end corner farthest away from the mobo is dropping, correct?

Burgz    6

Wait so that would mean the end corner farthest away from the mobo is dropping, correct?

Well you know it goes along the motherboard in a sense but yeah I guess.

Well you know it goes along the motherboard in a sense but yeah I guess.

From what I can assume it sounds like your motherboard isn't on level with the GPU sockets or whatever.  Which means there isn't a whole lot you can do unless you get a new case or just get creative.  It's really hard to judge without a picture.  If the angle is slight I don't see it as an issue.  However if it is really noticeable I can't help but think it's going to be bad in the long run.

Burgz    6

Bit of a shit picture but now I remember the blue things on my motherboard were stopping that end from being fully squashed in, still wouldn't make a difference to the graphics card being straight though.

http://m.imgur.com/1OAqp1A

MapleMooses    0

/moved to troubleshooting

It's slightly normal when you've got big cards like that. Your GPU is just slanted in the PCI-E slot. As long as it is not ripping out of its slot it's not much of a concern.

The only time you really need to slant it on it's side is if you're going to be moving it around to avoid lots of strain on the PCI connection.

Methias    119

Just put a piece of rigid foam from the base of the case to the underside most right side of the card to take some of the weight.. you can damage your pci slot if you leave it this way.. lucky it hasn't already if its been this way for a long time

Genius method - http://i.imgur.com/riEuD.jpg

Worst case scenario = https://www.cclonline.com/images/articles/1792_brokenslot.png

Burgz    6

Just put a piece of rigid foam from the base of the case

I have a bit of foam there, wanted a more solid way to stick it there though tbh.

Chow    45

Hey Burgz

Your card is hanging perfectly normal.

If you're concerned just pull the power cables above the card and back into the space between motherboard tray and sidepanel, tighten it slightly so the card lifts a bit, but use moderate strenght only, dont want to destroy your PCI-E slots.

DO NOT go about using foam or any other material to stand up your card as vibration from the fans can move it and destroy the fans, or materials could be conductive and fry your entire pc.

Also from your picture, i would recommend you to look up some guides on Cable managing, and how to create posetive air pressure inside your case. (for better air flow = better cooling, and less dust buildup.)

RedSky    123

Hi there, considering I have somewhat the same issue. It kinda depends on what kind of system your case has to lock the card in place. Now I can already tell you that a card "hanging" does not necesairly do something bad. Atleast if it isn't hanging too much. Most cards will naturally hang a little bit downwards and it shouldnt be looked at as much of a concern.

Just make certain the card is locked in place.

Burgz    6

DO NOT go about using foam or any other material to stand up your card as vibration from the fans can move it and destroy the fans, or materials could be conductive and fry your entire pc.

Also from your picture, i would recommend you to look up some guides on Cable managing, and how to create posetive air pressure inside your case. (for better air flow = better cooling, and less dust buildup.)

idk man, I think if I like glued the foam into place then there's not a chance it would come off, and I'm fairly certain it isn't conductive?

and honestly, my cable management is so much better than it could be and I li can't fit anymore in the back of the case.

Sir Hawke    28

any type of bending in electrical circuit boards/ parts of any kind is not "good", but for the love of god don't try to use force to straighten it again. It will probably do more damage to it than the bending already has. Bending something that is already bendt will most likely double or even triple the damage on the graphics card and/or motherboard.

But.... If you are going to do it (I aint gonna stop ya), don't use foam. It's difficult to tell if your type of foam is conductive or not and I wouldn't take the chance. Another problem is that graphics cards gets hot. Foam + heat = melts = bye bye pc.

Use hard plastic if you are going to use anything. A solid piece of plastic going from the graphics card to the frame of the pc.

Plastic is not conductive, but be careful to read what you are using since there is types with other components mixed in them. And at the bottom of this contraption you can have a small thin block of foam for vibration protection When you move the pc around etc. And don't make it to tight.

Personally I would do what chow said, tighten and let it hang if it still does. I have a pretty big  graphics card and it hangs just a tiny bit and

it's quite normal for some types of graphics cards to do so. My last pc had the same problem and I didn't do shit. The graphics card never skipped a beat for 4-5 years.

Conclusion: I'd leave it.

Burgz    6

Hey, Burgz!

Have you tried any of the suggestions listed above? Update us on your situation!

Yeah I'm all good now, from what people have said it's quite normal. I'll stick with the foam for now, as it's only touching the plastic of the graphics card, until I can be bothered to change it.

Thanks everyone.

Cow    0

What about the rear facing bracket? Should have a screw point to fasten it to the rear of the case.

Burgz    6

What about the rear facing bracket? Should have a screw point to fasten it to the rear of the case.

Think someone already asked about that one, yeah it's screwed in :)

Clumsy    226

Glad you got everything sorted out. If something new comes up with your graphics card just post here and we will reopen it. 

/Solved.