Server time: 2017-10-21, 17:21
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

Required IC Group Names

Raptor    184

So as the title suggests, I think when someone creates a group, they should be required to use it ICly. Just like when you create the CP, all the ranks have to be IC. Plus on top ff that, every group that doesn't use their name just ends up getting meta-gamed anyways and people will say the name of the group ie, Akrasia, New Moon, Svetney (or however you spell it), and Savages. However, Undead did bring up a good point where when people start using the group name in game, that's the time to start using it yourself because it's what others are referring you as.

Example: 

Bandit Group A: Their group name is "The Renegades" but they don't use the name IC. They start robbing people and making a name for themselves. However they don't use the name "Renegades". They rob enough people until the word gets around (metad or otherwise). 

Random IC: "Hey don't go to the airfield, that's Renegade territory."

So now other people are referring to them as the "Renegades".

Idk, tell me what yall think.

Ender    644

I'm going to say a HUGE no on this. Groups should not be forced to use their OOC name IC. this rule if implimented would just hinder instead of fix the issue. all it would do is stop groups from having the privlage to do so. If you come across someone calling you by your OOC name, You can report it for metagaming i believe. You can send the person doing it a PM on the forums Or you can quickly go

// we dont use "Groupname" IC please dont call us that

Hebi Kotei    349

People are entitled to their IC group nicknames, and the same applies to individuals. Lets say that my name is John Doe but my preferred name is 'Sixes', I'll just tell people my name is Sixes, the same applies to groups, I will use the masquerade for example, they go by 'the Masquerade' OOC but are 'the Clowns IC', what they chose to go by IG is their decision.

If people start using your group name in game something has gone wrong, however, we should not force people to not use that name ICly, use your nickname in initiations and it should be fine, but lets not put restrictions on what people can call themselves IG.

Hollows    453

-Snip-

I agree with Ender. I just don't see why someone should be forced into going by their OOC forum name IG. If a group is called," The Milkmaids," IG but because of IC events they turn, or whatever (Silly example) into some bandit group... They're stuck with 'Milkmaids.'

Undead    313

Ehh I think it should be up to the choice of the person. With the savages they chose not to use it until basically someone said it in game. The second it was said they were just like yea that works.

Keira    1457

I can see what you're saying in order to reduce confusion but I do not see how this could be enforced. People will label groups all sorts of different things and refer to them by people's character name's and such. OOC identification =/= IC identification and if they want to make it hard to be identified ICly, they're allowed to do that too.

Personally I find it annoying when this happens, my friends and I had trouble with this when we played in Svatnye. Yeah these kind of group names get meta-gamed pretty hard but if that's part of their group lore then I don't think it should be required to be an IC thing. I just wished that people would just find out more about the people in these kinds of groups than just meta-game their forum names. That's what I would do anyway, just treat'em like a dynamic group with no name.

Dustup    125

I don't think this should be forced on anyone.  The solution to prevent metagaming is for people to stop metagaming, not for groups to be forced to use the groups name.  Unfortunetly it always happens either by accident or because people can't help themselves, and once someone says it to someone else IG there isn't much you can do about it.  Plus some groups use other names of groups that don't exist to confuse people for good IC reasons, wouldn't want to ruin that.

Nihoolious    1248

I don't think this should be forced on anyone.  The solution to prevent metagaming is for people to stop metagaming, not for groups to be forced to use the groups name.

Seriosly tho +1

Just pretend the group thread doesn't exist and call them what you see them as in game. We've been called many substitute names instead of New Moon like "Izaak's men, green armbands, bandits, faggots" you name it and they were all IC so it made it even better.

Clumsy    226

It's hard, people slip up and it happens. I was in a few groups where the name was metagamed but a lot of the time the actual members of the group let it slip IG and it just grows from there. Sometimes it's not even someone metagaming. I don't see this as being needed. I understand where you are coming from but we shouldn't have to enforce something like this just to stop people from metagaming. As Dustup mentioned above to prevent it is to just have people follow the rules and not do it.

Karma    168

I'm going to say a HUGE no on this. Groups should not be forced to use their OOC name IC. this rule if implimented would just hinder instead of fix the issue. all it would do is stop groups from having the privlage to do so. If you come across someone calling you by your OOC name, You can report it for metagaming i believe. You can send the person doing it a PM on the forums Or you can quickly go

// we dont use "Groupname" IC please dont call us that

I 100% agree with Ender, this would hinder more than help tbh

-1 from me

Dishes    159

Noo no no, I don't like this. A name is required for a group, however there are some groups who just don't want to use a name because, well one if they are just playing a basic like survivor group, why are you naming yourself? Another reason are because people metagame names off the forums, so say our group's name on the forums is "Dead Batteries" (as it is) but we aren't going by that name in game. The person would obviously be metagaming and we would just look at them like they are stupid.

If you need some name to refer to a group by, you could always create a name to refer to them by ICly.

Thumper    0

Sorry Raptor, I stopped reading at the first sentence. Lets examine this closely. Lets say we form a group in a real apocalypse. Are we really going to sit around and make a cool sounding name? No. So in reality, the group names are prettty much OOC information anyway.

Mental    0

Nah, that's not how some groups work. Back in mod most groups used their names, and the RP sounded very scripted sometimes. For example:

"Hello"

"Hello are you apart of a group?"

"Yes I'm -groupname"

"Oh okay, I'm -groupname-"

Not word for word exactly but it was pretty similar to that. Plus what Thumper said. Not every group is going to have a group name to go by, you shouldn't be forced to.

Pussy    382

Sorry Raptor, I stopped reading at the first sentence. Lets examine this closely. Lets say we form a group in a real apocalypse. Are we really going to sit around and make a cool sounding name? No. So in reality, the group names are prettty much OOC information anyway.

Pretty much this. I also stopped reading at the first sentence.

When I ran a group called "Schadenfreude" it would have made zero sense for people to call us that in game. The title represented their state of mind and not the group itself. Also... none of us were German. 

For militarized groups, it makes more sense for them to have a name. But survivor groups? Naw. There's no way they're taking a moment away from their survival to come up with a catchy name to be called.

Raptor    184

Wow, alot of good points have been brought up. Thanks for the feedback guys :D

Nolan    0

I mean, the whole "IC" CP rank stuff is dumb af anyway (because ranks that were IC weren't allowed anyway), wouldn't use that as the basis for this suggestion. And yeah, like most have said, no thanks. Realistically most groups wouldn't have a name anyway, so I don't see why we should be forcing them to use one IC.

The Marshal    353

No, flat out no. double no. Why do groups NEED names in game?

Do you call your small gaggle of friends you hang out with [iRL] some edgy name, or do you just call them your friends? "I'm going to go hang out with Jesse and Collin, together we are the Dark Soul Reapers"

No.

Chaostica    144

If we focus on the reality side of the equation, what bunch of people would be sitting around trying to think up a name for themselves? Can you picture Rick sitting around brainstorming with Darryl and Carol as to what they should be calling themselves? (now that would be interesting to listen to) 

No, they don't include things like that in a big production like TWD because realistically it wouldn't be something of importance.  They know who they are. Group names are basically something we need to keep track of groups ooc, those using their group names in game is entirely their choice.  

There are times when a group using their name in game helps spread their fame so to speak. For example for a long time any mention of the 'Reapers' would have me heading to the hills even though apparently they were pretty decent folks, the name was ominous and scary. 

Then again another person would talk about 'The Clowns', meaning the masquerade but they only needed to say 'The Clowns' for everyone to know who they were talking about. 

So what's in a name? Only the importance some may or may not put on it. So no, don't think they should be forced to used it in game, because in the end it really doesn't matter.

Nah, I don't see how this is an issue.  Personally unless your group is super official like the "U.N." I don't think group names make a whole lot of sense.  Like why are all these people running around in the apocalypse with these silly group names.  I don't know.

Para    313

No. If I have a group and I don't want my group's name putting out there, it's staying a secret. There are huge merits to maintaining some sort of secret image.

Simply put, let people choose if they want to use their group name IC.

Frosty    0

I have to agree with the majority of this thread. Choice. We should not force people to have a group name IC. People should just stop meta-gaming TBH. :/

Coda852    38

I am not to sure where the idea popped up from but I don't think we really need to enforce it. Group names can be made up by the group and they can choose to spread their name, or people can simply give them a name. Hell I remember when The Masquerade was called there official name last year, and when they came back they were giving a new name, "The Clowns". We should just leave it up to the people in the group :)

MrBlairdom    12

My two cents:

I'm perfectly fine with group names to be used ICly. If I were to create a group, I'd consider the name really carefully and would also go for something that people wouldn't be 'ashamed' of calling themselves. To be honest, why would you call your group 'The Harversters' OOCly (on the forums) but ICly you're...I don't know, nothing or something different?

Isn't this the point of a group name? So that people would identify their members and respect them, loathe them, fear them etc.? I just think that some groups on the server have really...'edgy' names that I wouldn't actually my guy to identify himself with. But that's for another topic.

Coldwater, Blackwoood etc. they seem like good group names that can easily be known publicly. The best thing that can happen to a group is them getting famous without them spreading the name. If you're a bad ass group, take people hostages, shove the name in their faces and others will know.

I don't see any problems. It doesn't need to be a rule, but it's kinda confusing seeing all this "Stop calling us X because we dont call ourselves that". But what do you call yourselves exactly? Why make it a group on the forums then? Just stick to IC and make it so that people know that they belong to a certain...gathering of people.

"Are you with X?"

"Yes, you too?"

"Yes"

"Cool!"

vs.

"Do you know...Johnny?"

"Nope"

"Okay - BANG!"

But they are in the same group, just didn't know how to say it.

At least that's how I see things. Names give identity (d'uh!) and it makes it easier for everyone to know who's who.

Jabba    0

Nah, it should not be forced IMO. I always called Svatyne 'Orange Armbands' and think of my own creative nicknames for groups. Yes it is a bummer that a group can't go a week without getting called their forum name but it does not mean we need to force it. I personally think group meta-gaming needs to be enforced more, it is something that has always been around and always bothered me. I always use IC info I have obtained in-game and do not wish to force groups to use their names on the forums. A -1 from me.