Server time: 2017-10-23, 02:40
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Alt characters

Charlie    0

There is something that has been annoying me for some time. And I apologise if a thread has already been made about this, I couldn't see one and I wanted to see the opinions of the community on this matter.

First off I have no problem with alternative characters because it does feel good to freshen up your play style by switching now and then. The only thing that bothers me is the switch that takes place. 

The Switch:

In dayZrp most of us have a certain outfit we identify our characters with and what I have been seeing recently is when someone changes to their alternative character everything apart from a Hat/mask is the same. What I dislike about this is if they have interacted with you hours before hand with some hostile RP and I don't know they maybe mugged me. I am still able to identify them by the clothing, equipment and sometimes their voices but yet I am not allowed to call them out on what happened prior due to the name change on the menu screen when they logged out and in.  When technically idk say they took a gun from me that gun in their hands would still be technically a stolen gun. But then can get away without a dent in their characters reputation.

I personally F11 my self most times if not change my clothing drastically and using different weapons I've previously obtained when changing to a different character. I also try my hardest to put on a different voice (I know some may can't do that) I just thought I'd ask and see if it is a "Me" problem why it bothers me so much.

Dustin    0

One the things that annoy me also, someone plays on a diff char, no problem. Talk/Act/Dress the same as the other char they play on.

But what can ya do?

Charlie    0

One the things that annoy me also, someone plays on a diff char, no problem. Talk/Act/Dress the same as the other char they play on.

But what can ya do?

Burn them... Idk break their ankles... Something. To me i think it should be a grey area some where.

Love Nectar    38

People who switch on a regular basis can get very confusing especially if they sound,act,dress the same as the other character which begs the question why did they even re-role? But to be honest if people want to switch it up at the drop of a hat they can :( just makes it a damn sight harder for everyone else to keep track of who they are and makes for some awkward roleplay.

Nihoolious    1248

When I switch characters I generally try to have completely different outfits, weaponry, behavior etc. My characters are all very different from each other but sometimes people can recognize my voice between them which makes it super awkward when they call me X and I am actually playing as Y. It would be great if there was a proper character system in place to switch character models and whatnot but no. Maybe we will see a feature like that in 16 years.

SomeWeirdAssGuy    287

Some people play an alt so that they don't have to deal with the consequences of the actions of their other character(s). Most often these are the same players who don't even bother changing their clothes/accent/demeanor since the change is usually temporary.

"Hey aren't you the guy who robbed me earlier?"

"Nah fam, I didn't rob anyone today yet."

"But you sound like him and you're wearing the same clothes and have the same weapon and backpack..."

"Tough luck bruh, that was another guy"

This is just an example of something similar to what I personally experienced.

PaulB    1

Hmmm...might have been interesting to see what happens if follow situation would have been reported.

1. Character "A" initiated on character "B" and will rob him (not kill him).

2. Character "A" logs out after 30min. timer. He will change his name yet he will have the same outfit, weaponry, same voice and 90% the same behavior. Then he logs again in.

3. Character "B" that had ben robben will face him in 1h after being robbed. In the voice range he will hear him, because of this he will (i would not) not approach him for the puls check (name) and KOS him from distance (Well for him it was the same person that robbed him and i have the KOS rights!)

4. KOSed player makes a report yet the firstly robbed person got the evidence (video) confirming the situation from above.

What will be the verdickt? Guilty for misconfirmation of character. Or will be said that its own fault of KoSed player?

Jetwells    0

-Snip-

That would be BadRP and the guy who logged out to avoid hostilities would be punished. Seeing as though he logged back in to continue playing, he has abused a game mechanic to avoid repercussions of his actions by simply changing his character name. As far as my understanding of the rules and previous discussions, this is how i would see it playing out. Its not a 30 minute log off timer but continue playing on another server/change name for 2 hours after you originally logged off. I could be wrong though.

Frosty    0

I make sure all my Alts look different, act different, and sound different. Others might not be able to sound different, but oh well.

I've not experienced a situation like this, but I do tend to play a lot of Alts because RP gets really stale. Whoops.

Just make sure you put some effort into your Alts and everything will be alright IMO.

I do see where you're coming from with the issue, but it's never happened to me.

Poppy    378

This is why I think we should be able to whitelist mutliple steam accs on the same dayzrp acc, however I see the flaw that you might whitelist a friend or whatever... Still, two steam accs, would be good IMO.

Charlie    0

I'd buy another dayz account to have another character. But I'd see the amount of problems listing... So I wouldn't know how you could really implement it without it getting abused

Randle    933

This is why I think we should be able to whitelist mutliple steam accs on the same dayzrp acc, however I see the flaw that you might whitelist a friend or whatever... Still, two steam accs, would be good IMO.

That's never going to happen due to the repercussions with finding alt accounts and people circumventing etc.

Poppy    378

That's never going to happen due to the repercussions with finding alt accounts and people circumventing etc.

I do fully understand that, I'm just saying, letting us have two steam acc would help a lot with alt chars. At the moment I usually just stick to one charachter, and If i get bored, I either kill it of or it ''hides'' in the forest for a month. I kill it and start fresh and play the alt for atleast a week.

Grimnir    662

-snip-

If that's the case I would still initiate and drag them into the woods. Yes you can't KOS them, but I see a lot of reasons why, my char at least, would take them. If they dress the same way and act the same way my character would just suspect them of lying, so changing there name won't really safe them.

As for the topic in general I fully agree, often I feel like people are using alts just to avoid consequences. It gets really annoying if those alts dress the sae way, speak the same way and hang out with the same people.

Aiko    650

I agree with a lot of you, that people use alts to just get away from the problems they have caused. I myself do play alts, and I have different clothing and personality for each. Not everyone is good at it, but I also change my voice and dress differently.

Most the time people can not tell that its me playing a new character. Which, I find fun to see who can tell who I am playing. ^_^

I often get messages asking, hey is this you? I am either like O.o?? Who is me. That or I giggle evily and say maybbeeee! :P

Cipher    0

that is exactly why I hate playing alts. I can't do a decent accent so all of my characters end up having the same voice and I can't be arsed to change my clothing or off myself every time I want to play a different character style. Maybe that's why Mack James was all over the place in terms of personality.

I really wish this game had a multiple-character system or something. Idk, current system makes it too hard to play different characters often, at least for me. :/

Sofie    0

When making an alt it should be because you want to try a different roleplaying style. There is no point in playing an alt with the same looks and personality as your main unless you are trying to keep your main out of trouble and still wish to play, which I consider avoiding roleplay. On the other side, it is important to take into consideration that not everyone is as talented with changing their voice and roleplay. Don't purposely make it embarrassing for the person who is struggling to make his/her alt different from their main.

Zombru    25

I do a full outfit and voice change most of the time. It's not incredibly hard to switch voices though. My main has a hardy Russian accent whereas my alt has a soft spoken American one.

Carlosdmc    0

We should be able to report people who log off after the 30min counter and log in with another character but still using the former character's gear. (including your stolen goods)

If they want to get get away from consequences they should change their gear so it matches with a different character, either by having the outfit stored somewhere or dying and re gearing.

Keira    1472

Character customization in game is currently very limited, with few models and clothing options to separated from others.

Saints    103

Yep , i agree.

Doc Phlox    24

Have to agree that sounds rather vexing. I don't have many alts, but whenever I switched to one I made sure he was a new model (my main and alts are not even the same skin, so I have to die for a new one).

Hopefully an easier system will come along, one that allows you to easily access items so you can change your appearance to an extent that isn't new shoes or balaclava

Kerkkoh    49

One time I was playing 4 active characters at the same time and simply had a couple of ammo containers that had clothes for each one of them. Each one had different clothes and were completely different. Of course, I was Text RPing, so there wasn't the problem of sounding alike.

Bran    0

From the way I see it, I only have an alt if I feel like blowing off steam by initiating on a few people since being goody two shoes all the time can get grim, but since I TextRP on my main character, the transition between the two is bigger and people don't recognise me from my alt

The best way to change characters, personally for me, is to assign each player model as a different character you play, and then f11 when you want to switch. That way, there is no confusion between your characters. Either that, or ridiculous accents that let it be known you are not the same person, or a different way of typing for you text-RPers out there. Hell, even a different word choice would do it. Have your characters with different vocabularies.

And for those complaining about people switching from more so hostile characters and looking exactly like the robber...

"Hey! It's the rat bastard who robbed me!"

"Nah, that's not me."

"You're dressed exactly like him..."

"Not me, I'm a good guy."

"Sure...He's a friend of his! Fuck him up!"

Hilarity ensues.